Radio City Hotel (and update) thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 25 2010, 7:39pm

Post #1 of 92 (3010 views)
Shortcut
Radio City Hotel (and update) thread Can't Post

First: please, please, please don't kill the messenger. Frown But, CAMI was unable to find any hotels that weren't either booked (it's fall colors season), or who's rates weren't way above the ones already arranged by the NY Comic Con folks (they're co-sponsoring some of the events). So, the bottom-line is: you should probably go to the Comic Con hotel page here to make your reservations. (I know, I know...it would have been nice to know this sooner. But, FWIW, I think they really did try to find a better deal and it just wasn't to be had this year).

FYI, the Park Central *is* available at $279 per night (double occupancy). This is $100 more per night than last year's rate, but it's $80+ less expensive than the rates on the hotel's website. For those who liked the area, there's also the Holiday Inn Midtown just a few blocks west for $219 per night (double occupancy).

There's also an option for a lower group rate for 10 rooms or more if anyone would like to look into it, and if it looks like there will be 10 TORn rooms required.

I also asked for an update on whether anything is going on on Sunday, similar to the presentations at the Orensantz center last year and this was the reply:

"There will not be any extra events on Sunday, October 10. There will be a talk with Howard and Doug on Thursday, October 7 at Barnes Noble beginning at 5PM. We will also be doing an event with New York Comic Con (possibly a screening, panel, or party) which will most likely be on Friday or Saturday. More to come!"

TORn continues to work with CAMI to get the word out on the weekend's events as the news comes to us. I'll be sure to post it here as soon as I hear anything, and it will be on the Home Page as well.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 25 2010, 7:40pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26 2010, 2:11am

Post #2 of 92 (2091 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much, Altaira :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a bummer that the deal from last year couldn't be repeated, but it's not from lack of you hanging in there for us! Thank you, m'dear :)

That Comic Con link worked great to just sift through and find the deals.

I got a double reservation for the 57th Street Holiday Inn just to be safe, but if we think we have enough for 10+ rooms, I hope they'll let me adjust it for that. I put down TheOneRing.net as the business I'm affiliated with. So if everyone interested in going for the 10-room rate at the Holiday Inn... speak up, please!

GREAT coverage on the activities so far!! *bows deeply* Muchly appreciated, m'dear :)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 26 2010, 3:23am

Post #3 of 92 (2063 views)
Shortcut
the Mr and I will make a decision this weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

...as to whether we can go or not.

If so, I'm looking at that 57th Street Holiday Inn, as well. I checked the bed bug registry and so far, no reports there.

fwiw: someone did report bugs at Park Central and apparently go no satisfaction from the staff about it. Another Holiday Inn in NY had a report, as well, but the staff there was very accommodating about switching rooms.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 26 2010, 4:52am

Post #4 of 92 (2041 views)
Shortcut
The 57th St. Holiday inn [In reply to] Can't Post

...is almost full. TripAdvisor checked with 5 sites for Sat. night only, and 4 said there was no availability and the last one had one double room at $295, which worked out to $345 when all the taxes and fees were added in. Park Central right now shows nothing under $445. Doesn't look good, I'm afraid.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 26 2010, 5:14am

Post #5 of 92 (2150 views)
Shortcut
But it's available through Comic Con. [In reply to] Can't Post

I booked a 2-bed double for Sat nite only for $219+tax (looks like ~15%).

They have a lot of hotels and good rates, which is clearly why nothing is available except through them.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Aug 26 2010, 5:15am)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2010, 10:05am

Post #6 of 92 (2068 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the update Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've booked a double room (two beds) in the Holiday Inn!
But if we can find 10 rooms, of course I would like to change it if the rooms will be cheaper.

Now I'm just going to see what other fun stuff will be planned, if nothing, then New York still has soooo much to discover, I doubt I'll be bored for just one second.

Thanks for keeping us in with all the information!

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2010, 4:12pm

Post #7 of 92 (2134 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma and Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good job on getting the room so quickly. Smile

"...and back again."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 26 2010, 4:33pm

Post #8 of 92 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Tenting in Central Park? / [In reply to] Can't Post

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Aug 26 2010, 7:05pm

Post #9 of 92 (2072 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the update Altaira! A question for all planning on attending... [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to at least have a bit more of an idea of what is (or isn't!) going on! Smile It looks like we should coordinate, if possible, to get rooms in the Holiday Inn.

A question for TORnsibs attending that weekend: Would most people like to go to the Fellowship! show on Friday night? Even though CAMI isn't doing anything, we can organise our own moots, and I thought perhaps we could moot at Fellowship on Friday, and perhaps all gather somewhere are the Radiocity show on Saturday, too. But I'd like to know what most people would like to do. So, please let me have your thoughts!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2010, 7:15pm

Post #10 of 92 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Raises hand [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, I'm game.
Of course I want to meet TORnsibs again, one of the main reasons for coming to NYC (besides TTT of course).

I would like to see Fellowship, and I think Friday night is a good day, because most sibs will be in NYC by then. Or maybe Sunday night, but maybe those who have to work on Monday will have left by then.
And if I remember correctly most of us bought tickets for the Saturday night TTT. So a get together before or after would be a nice idea.

I'm going to see what the rest is thinking, but I'm in for whatever (I'll be in NYC from 6th (evening) till the 11th (leaving in the evening).

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2010, 7:21pm

Post #11 of 92 (2106 views)
Shortcut
I think that is probably illegal - not to mention really dangerous! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and back again."

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2010, 7:24pm

Post #12 of 92 (2032 views)
Shortcut
Me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Friday night sounds good.

"...and back again."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 26 2010, 7:32pm

Post #13 of 92 (2063 views)
Shortcut
oooo! oooo!! Me Too!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a Friday night moot and something after the show would be great. As far as I'm concerned, if we repeat the Friday night place/food from last year, it worked out really well! IIRC, it wasn't that far away from RCMH... so we could hook up there after the Saturday show, too. Or not ;)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Tamara
Rivendell

Aug 26 2010, 8:35pm

Post #14 of 92 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Trying to coordinate now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in contact with Overlithe 64 and Lithilien quicksilver right now, to see if they had already booked or want to share. Garf- are you set now with a Marriot or still looking?

Work is pretty flexible, so it is really all about which night to RCMH (Folks seem split on Fri/Sat)? I'd love to do the TORn moot, as I have not booked yet, but also like Garf's idea of visiting the Statue of Liberty, before it closes for maintenance. Not sure when to fit that in, but I hate traveling around NYC by myself, so I'd love to go with a group.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) with Red Carpet Tours for the Hobbit premier!

Tamara
Rivendell

Aug 26 2010, 8:48pm

Post #15 of 92 (2162 views)
Shortcut
There's a restaurant/bar at the Holiday inn too... [In reply to] Can't Post

If that is where most people were staying. Last year's location was ok too, but having it near the most popular hotel would be handy too. Although since this is a NYCC hotel...it might be crowded with con goers....:(

Suggestion: If possible this year, I'd prefer a place where we paid a flat rate for food and paid for our drinks individually. That way, those who don't drink and those who are underage don't have to pay for something they can't/won't use.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) with Red Carpet Tours for the Hobbit premier!

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 26 2010, 10:30pm

Post #16 of 92 (2085 views)
Shortcut
Which hotel is offering the group rate? Do we know how much lower it is?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to go to work today
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 26 2010, 10:50pm

Post #17 of 92 (2052 views)
Shortcut
a non-response isn't a no from me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...yet.

As I said, my husband and I are planning to discuss this weekend whether we can make this trip or not. If plans have to get made before then, then I can live with that. But I won't know until Monday at the latest.. possibly before.

If we moot, I'd like to do it somewhere in addition to the play. I'm not sure we'll spring for it and I'd rather pay for time when I can talk to people rather than time when I have to be quiet.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 26 2010, 10:58pm

Post #18 of 92 (2205 views)
Shortcut
I think the group rate can apply to all the hotels on the list [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm not a very savvy person with this stuff.

It seems to me, the group rate will apply when one person makes a reservation for 10 rooms. I don't think we're going to be able to let 10 people make a reservation on 10 rooms and get a rate. I'm even less confident we'll be able to get rooms already reserved added to the 'group' retroactively. But, as I said, I'm not very savvy with this stuff.

If we decide we are going, I will not be waiting to see what develops in terms of getting a 'group' together (meaning, I'll reserve as soon as we decide) which may sabotage my ability to contribute to a group effort. If it turns out that we have to reserve all 10 rooms at once, I'm not sure which brave soul will put the rooms on their credit card.

I guess what I'm saying is, unless someone knows how this works, someone will have to figure out how it works. I'm not really up for doing that although, if the planets aligned right, I would be up for being part of the group. The planets are still moving though... so, at this minute, it's all pretty uncertain.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 26 2010, 11:39pm

Post #19 of 92 (2290 views)
Shortcut
The Comic Con list of hotels is extensive... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the discounts are significant. If you can get rooms through that site without having to show that you're attending Comic Con (though I expect many people will attend both events), there seems no necessity for trying to book 10 rooms to gain some other discount.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 27 2010, 1:31am

Post #20 of 92 (2051 views)
Shortcut
A money-saving suggestion for the slightly more adventurous [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't checked specifics, but I'm pretty sure the hotels in Queens and Brooklyn are much cheaper than Manhattan hotels. If you don't mind spending slightly more time traveling to/from the Manhattan events, you could save quite a bit of money, and get to see other parts of the city. And Queens has a lot of excellent restaurants with cuisines from all over the world.

Just a thought.

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2010, 1:58am

Post #21 of 92 (2146 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh.... that's reassuring :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Magpie. Here's hoping things fall into place for ya'll and it becomes VERY obvious that trip is a go :D

sample sample

CAhobbit
Rohan

Aug 27 2010, 4:03am

Post #22 of 92 (2100 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm totally down with seeing Fellowship! on Friday. I simply adore that show. Up for any other mootings as well.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

House Stark

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 27 2010, 8:28pm

Post #23 of 92 (2249 views)
Shortcut
** A few updates inside [In reply to] Can't Post

Group Rates: I called the organization that's making the group reservations and it turns out it's only a way for groups to reserve blocks of rooms so they can stay together. The rates are the same whether the reservations are made individually or as a group. In other words, there's no deeper discount for groups of > 10 rooms.

Availability: Here is a chart of the availability at the various hotels. As part of my call, they verified that there are still at least 10 rooms available for the nights of 10/7 through 10/10 at the Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th. Just for gins, I also called the hotel and checked elsewhere online for availability. Currently, the only availability for this hotel seems to be by making reservations through the Comic Con reservation website (link also included in my initial post) or phone number:

1-866-940-0944 (USA, Canada, Caribbean) or +1-212-532-1660.
Agents are available Mon-Fri, 9 a.m to 7 p.m. Eastern Time.

Confirm you reservation
: Be sure to confirm your reservation at the Comic Con reservations site (link above - click on 'view an existing reservation'). As long as you can see your reservation there, you should be good to go. (See gramma's reply to my post below, as she explored all this on her own and added this valuable information. Thanks gramma!). Smile A few days before you check in, you may also want to confirm your reservations directly with the hotel. You can do that by calling the hotel directly: 202-581-8100, calling the Holiday Inn toll-free number at 1-800-465-4329 or by going to the InterContinental Hotel Groups website and entering your confirmation number (left side of screen).

I hope this helps everyone. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 28 2010, 2:43pm)

Garfeimao
Rohan

Aug 28 2010, 1:06am

Post #24 of 92 (2043 views)
Shortcut
I may still go for Marriott [In reply to] Can't Post

Just cause I can use points for one day and end up paying less, but that Holiday Inn is quite intriguing, I should have a decision by tomorrow when I have time to really look at it all.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 28 2010, 3:39am

Post #25 of 92 (2109 views)
Shortcut
Wow... I'm so glad you said [In reply to] Can't Post

something about confirming the reservation, because when I tried to put my reservation number into that website, the number is too long and wouldn't process... but it still worked through the Comic Con site because it's a reservation number, not a confirmation number for the hotel (which is 6 digits). When you make your reservation through Comic Con, they do say that you will receive a confirmation by email; but they aren't clear about when.

When I tried to contact Comic Con by email to see what was up, it gave me this message about getting a confirmation number (instead of the longer reservation number).

Hotel confirmation numbers are usually available about one to two weeks prior to your event. Until that time, the hotel holds all rooms under ‘Travel Planners’ and they do not have occupant names.

Once we have received the hotel confirmation number it will be available online to view or print. Please click here to access & print your reservation.

So... the reservation must be under the "Travel Planner" hold for rooms and will assign a confirmation number closer to Oct 7. Trying to confirm the hotel reservation right now won't work without that confirmation number... and calling the hotel won't work because your name isn't in their system (I tried that, too).

Others may have known about this process... but it's new to me; so I figured I'd post on my adventure so others won't panic.... like me :D

Thanks so much for posting this, Altaira!

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.