The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Just a bit of fun

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 25 2010, 2:52am

Post #1 of 8 (427 views)
Shortcut
Just a bit of fun Can't Post

it was. We had our mini moot at the pond this past weekend where dernwyn, mr. dernwyn and smeagirl graced us with their company.

We had a fabulous 3 days of weather with sunny 80's and a fair breeze. The afternoon on arrival we all settled in and then had refreshments and then coffee to let the unwinding happen.

The evening meal was a supreme delight for us because dernwyn brought the gluten free pizza dough and we added cheddar cheese, LOTTA mushrooms, onions and peppers where it towered an inch and a half. It were gOOd. To top it off dernwyn also brought a STRAWberry RHUbarb PIE! With gluton free dough again. That will not be topped again i think.

That evening we set out on a starry and moonlit sky on a little cruise around the pond to catch the constellations (related by our very knowledgeable celestial guide mr. dernwyn) and the lit shores with their reflections. It was a fine thing to catch a really bright shooting star all the way across the heavens.

Everyone was touched by the spirit of Winkin', Blinkin' and Nod so we turned in to the lulling new sound of the august crickets.

Morning brought a bright sunrise and it was celebrated with mrs. sil's homemade fruit salad with bananas, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi and grapes rounded out with blueberry pancakes and coffee.

This was the morning we just hit the dock and took in the sunshine and the pleasant sounds of the lapping water, wind and the dancing leaves of the maples around us. And along with catching TORn's fiesta (and surprizing dernwyn here at the computer with my camera), there was the siesta...or two.

We did perc up for smeagirl went off on an adventure to photo shoot and we all got involved with master sil's latest garage sale find in the village, for 20 dollars, a 'trifecta folding 3-wheeler, complete with basket. Dernwyn tried it up and down the deck and so did smeagirl. Then master sil showed us how he likes to ride it around the village on 2 wheels. This bike will turn on a dime and give you 9cents change (Bill Cosby adage).

Lunch was tuna sandwiches and fruit salad.

Also there was a boat ride for all to watch master sil and his friend tubing, wake boarding and skiing. And mrs. sil surprized us , and herself after long absence skied with one ski after dropping one.

That night we have a chicken barbecue on the darth hearth (grill thingee that looks like darth vader helmet) with fresh green beans and gluten-free pasta with tomato-cheese sauce.

That evening was another but warmer night on the boat to catch a yet fuller, brighter moon.

The last day for breakfast i made cheddar cheese and mushroom omelets for everyone. After relaxing we went on a canoe, kayak ride down the lake. Here is dernwyn at the paddle and also mrs. sil. Mr. dernwyn was my bowman in the canoe and smeagirl had a comfy seat in the middle taking pictures, but we did not get a shot of us. The kayaks were borrowed from our wonderful neighbors next door (on the left with his mom in the middle)

We ended up at the dock again to catch a bit of late lunch before all had to get back to scheme of things. But before that i got some more shots. Here is mr. dernwyn sporting a cool hat and smeagirl with her smile. Ending here is our group shot with the assistance of master sil's friend.

It was a really lovely time:)

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2010, 10:23am

Post #2 of 8 (238 views)
Shortcut
Like many have said of LotR: [In reply to] Can't Post

It was too short! Laugh

Thank you so much for the write-up, sil - although you did leave out the attack of the Pond monster, and the pirate raid! Laugh If I lived in a less wooded area, I'd serious consider getting one of those tri-bikes, I was so impressed by it.

What, no pics of Mrs. Sil's amazing one-ski feat? We were all applauding from the boat!

And we can't forget the LotR soundtrack being played during dinner (even if the computer you were playing it from kept being ornery).

Didn't hike up Amon Hen this time, but NEXT time...! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 26 2010, 3:05am

Post #3 of 8 (117 views)
Shortcut
More than a bit, I'd say! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't write anything that will do justice to the Silneldor family's home on the lake. It's genuinely one of my favorite places in the world; I hope that tells you something.

There was plenty of great food, some of which I photographed:

That's local tomatoes which Sil picked up after he picked me up at the train.
I didn't get a photo of Sil's omelets though, which were lovely and delicious.

Here is Sil with the Darth Hearth he mentions:

After the chicken . . . marshmallows! Master Sil kindly cut and sharpened a good stick for me to roast them with. Mmmmmm . . .

We spent a lot of time on boats, and my fellow mooters cheerfully put up with way too many stupid pirate jokes from me. Pirate (I had just listened to this audio book of Treasure Island and had pirates on the brain.) But I was quite obviously a landlubber:
Sil: (assisting me as I clumsily get into a boat) Grab onto the gunnels!
me: What's a gunnel? Unsure Tongue
Sil and family are quite at home in the water though. Here's Mrs. Sil waterskiiing! (photographed from the back of the boat pulling her):

And Master Sil on a kneeboard:

The rest of us were content to paddle around a bit:

(Mrs. Sil and Dernwyn in canoes)

Note the lovely wooded background and those interesting massive blocky boulders on the shore on the left side.

I was in a slightly larger boat with Sil and Mr. Dernwyn. Comfy indeed as Sil noted.

Other than the excitement of waterskiing, and rumors of a lake monster, it is a very relaxing place. At one point I wandered into the woods to photograph flora and fauna, and came back to find every one of my fellow mooters fast asleep on the dock, except Mrs. Sil fast asleep on a boat. Yes, I took a few photos of you guys asleep. Evil I'll email them.

I should mention that Mr. Dernwyn has the most wonderful collection of geeky T-shirts to match his wonderful collection of geeky knowledge. Actually our group had many wonderfully geeky conversations.

>
It was a really lovely time:)
I can't put it any better than that. Thanks, guys. Heart Smile Heart Smile Heart Smile Heart

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 26 2010, 12:46pm

Post #4 of 8 (155 views)
Shortcut
HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you rascal, you caught us immersed in the true spirit of relaxation and release from the tensions of the 'outside world' that i deem necessary here. Bilbo would be proud of us:).

Smeagirl did get some interesting shot of dragonflies and such. Perhaps she will send another wave of photos our way:).

And my dear landlubber, those were kayaks that dernwyn and mrs. sil were in lol. We were in an 18ft canoe. and yes if one does not grab the gunnels in a canoe getting in and moving about, surprizes happenShocked very fast. It gives a full meaning to the word 'dip'Laugh.

Those were nice shots and i thank you for those.

And lake monsters indeed!Wink

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 26 2010, 4:08pm

Post #5 of 8 (83 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for a great report! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your vivid writing makes it almost like being there.

I used to sing Wynken, Blynken and Nod to my kids when they were little :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 26 2010, 11:05pm

Post #6 of 8 (78 views)
Shortcut
This post made me happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

So nice to read about a gathering of good souls like you guys...your place sounds very magical, Sil, and so glad you could all get together like that. Thanks for sharing, it was a treat to read!

Weaver

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 27 2010, 1:23am

Post #7 of 8 (116 views)
Shortcut
A few more of Sil's neighbors: [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the mink, but (s)he was lovely -- sleek and lustrous.

>those were kayaks<
Doh, I knew that. Unsure How about I just call them all "boaty things" from now on, OK? Crazy Laugh

Here's another pic of Dernwyn in one of them boaty things:

And Master Sil waterskiing!

From now on, I'll limit my nautical jargon to International Talk Like A Pirate Day. PiratePiratePirateCool

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Zmulady
Rohan

Aug 31 2010, 2:19am

Post #8 of 8 (251 views)
Shortcut
Looks really fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you guys had a good time. Cool grill.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.