Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"His fire belched forth, the hall smoked, he shook the mountain-roots."

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 24 2010, 4:24pm

Post #1 of 8 (267 views)
Shortcut
"His fire belched forth, the hall smoked, he shook the mountain-roots." Can't Post

"...then coiling his length together, roaring like thunder underground, he sped from his deep lair..."

"A whirring noise was heard...The dragon came."

Okay, so he's not red-golden, but The Little Goblin wanted green. This is his entry into last May's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby race. Our pack has an open class race for dads and siblings and "Smaug" came in fourth overall.

Here is Smaug with Little Eruvande's car, the penguin from the movie, Surf's Up. Surf's Up won 3rd place overall and won a fan-favorite "best non-car vehicle". The whole Eruvande family worked on these and we are quite pleased with ourselves. Laugh

The creativity of the kids is amazing at these things. We had every kind of car you can think of, from a replica "Northwestern" crab boat from the tv show "Deadliest Catch", to a giant football ridden by 4 little players. One dad owns a car body shop and lets his kids use the equipment to give their derby cars a high gloss. They look amazing! Also a lot of fun.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 24 2010, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 8 (111 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes -- I remember the Pinewood Derby! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my older son still has his car from his last year in the Scouts, when he and his dad cleverly studied all the winners from the year before and shaped his car accordingly. Then our younger son watched *them*, which resulted in our two boys getting second and third places. All the dads kept asking casually, "So, how'd you do that...."

I love "Smaug" and the penguin both! Y'all have every right be proud of yourselves. And it sounds as though your kids are in a very creative troop.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Aug 24 2010, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 8 (107 views)
Shortcut
Those are so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know some people who have done these before, but these that you guys made were really cool!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Aug 25 2010, 2:19pm

Post #4 of 8 (98 views)
Shortcut
Getting nostalgic... [In reply to] Can't Post

for when my little brother did that sort of stuff. Never made anything mindblowing, but it was still fun to watch him do it.

I have no personality whatsoever. Cower before my blandness!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 25 2010, 3:07pm

Post #5 of 8 (104 views)
Shortcut
We still have two of Mr. Eruvande's cars [In reply to] Can't Post

from when he was a cub scout. I think he's reliving his childhood a little and building the car he wishes he could have made back then. Laugh Being an engineer, with a perfectionist streak, he gets those cars are perfectly balanced and weighted.

The penguin was a Happy Meal toy. We had to cut off his feet and reposition them, plus file his head down a little to meet height restrictions, but I think he turned out fine.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 25 2010, 3:10pm

Post #6 of 8 (98 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole pack really gets into it. We have one dad who is a computer whiz and he and his son first design their cars on a CAD program. They've done cars that look like soup ladles, open boxes, and a wooden loop.

Then there are the kids who basically just paint the wooden block and add wheels. But those cars are surprisingly fast, too. Laugh

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 25 2010, 3:12pm

Post #7 of 8 (99 views)
Shortcut
Heh, [In reply to] Can't Post

even the plain wooden blocks are surprisingly competitive, so it doesn't really matter what they look like. But our pack has all sorts of extra style categories, so we try to make one that really stands out. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2010, 10:19pm

Post #8 of 8 (150 views)
Shortcut
How cute that is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, yes, I remember those Cub Scout days, and working on the Pinewood Derby car with my son! It was fun to see all the creativity that went into transforming those little blocks of wood.

Those will be fun to play with, even when they're not being raced! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.