Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Actors you want to see in the Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Destrier
The Shire

Aug 21 2010, 6:52am

Post #26 of 47 (992 views)
Shortcut
So could I [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have to say anything, do I?

Hellmistress
Lorien

Aug 21 2010, 9:00am

Post #27 of 47 (1044 views)
Shortcut
My avatar ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... why thank you kindly, Leviathan! *Curtseys clumsily* Sly

HM

Elladan
Rivendell

Aug 21 2010, 2:06pm

Post #28 of 47 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Michael Sheen. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just dont see Martin Freeman in that role. I dont get a hobbity vibe from him either. http://www.google.co.uk/...v%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1 This pic to me says Hobbit, minus the stubble ofc. Also he had a large range over an extensive resume, even if he does go in for the vampire/were wolf thing a fair bit.

jacf182

Aug 21 2010, 6:29pm

Post #29 of 47 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Bard's Role [In reply to] Can't Post

Long time reader, first time poster. I just had to put my two cents in here :)

The role that worries me the most is that of Bard. I think he should be completely different from Aragorn or Boromir or anyone with that "kingly look". I think the most suitable actor for Bard would be Vinnie Jones!

Wielder of the Flame of Anor

merlwynd
Rivendell

Aug 22 2010, 10:39am

Post #30 of 47 (927 views)
Shortcut
interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

thats a very interesting thought indeed!

MERLWYND

merlwynd
Rivendell

Aug 22 2010, 10:41am

Post #31 of 47 (1015 views)
Shortcut
bond of blood? [In reply to] Can't Post

my vote is for bond of blood! Go son go!

MERLWYND

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 22 2010, 12:43pm

Post #32 of 47 (987 views)
Shortcut
Not sure.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. about the 'kingly look". Bard's position was rather similar to Aragorn's in some ways, in that he was the direct descendant and rightful heir of Girion, Lord of Dale, so he's another might-have-been (and will-be) ruler making his way in the shadows, defending others.

All we're told about him (that I can think of) is that he's tall with black hair and a grim voice, and he takes a very serious view of things. He's brave, good with a bow, and he's also an excellent leader when the occasion arises - and he's no ruffian - he is very much aware of his lineage and what it means. It's not as 'high' as Aragorn's, lordly rather than kingly, but then, when we first meet Aragorn in the book he 'looks foul and feels fair.' I think Richard Armitage would be excellent, though I'm sure there are any number of other actors who could do the job too.

Oh - and welcome for your first post! Smile

carrioncrow
Lorien

Aug 22 2010, 3:11pm

Post #33 of 47 (910 views)
Shortcut
none [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't want to see any actors, i want to see the characters.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 22 2010, 3:17pm

Post #34 of 47 (927 views)
Shortcut
Good point! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Destrier
The Shire

Aug 22 2010, 3:58pm

Post #35 of 47 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he's 'kingly' [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you dormouse - Bard is no ruffian - he's descended from nobility and he acts and speaks like a nobleman. Unless people have read the book recently they sometimes forget what an important role Bard plays in the story, and at the risk of boring everyone with a very long post, this is a condensed version of something I wrote for another website:

After Bard shoots the dragon the people of Esgaroth praise his courage and lament his death. Then he emerges from the lake with "a fierce light in his eyes" and the people acclaim him as King Bard.He strides off to help in the ordering of the camps and in the care of the sick and wounded, taking complete charge - though he does everything in the Master's name - including sending messengers to Mirkwood to ask for Thranduil's aid. The Elvenking comes with an army; they march with Bard and Esgaroth's remaining warriors north to the mountain.

They find Thorin and the dwarves (and Bilbo) barricaded in behind a stone wall. It is Bard who goes to speak with Thorin: "Hail Thorin! Why do you fence yourself like a robber in his hold? We are not yet foes and we rejoice that you are alive beyond our hope..." etc. He asks for a parley; his words are "fair and true, if proudly and grimly spoken". He wants a fair distribution of the dragon's hoard but Thorin wants it all for the dwarves. Bard tells Thorin: "Gather your wisdom ere we return," and departs. Later, when Thorin shoots an arrow at a messenger, the armies of elves and men lay seige to the mountain.

Days pass; an army of dwarves is marching to Thorin's aid from the Iron Hills. Bilbo puts on the ring, takes the Arkenstone, and goes to speak with the Elvenking and Bard. The next day Bard, the Elvenking and Gandalf go up to bargain with Thorin - and it's Bard who does all of the bargaining.

The army of dwarves arrives and Bard (with Bilbo) goes out to talk with them - he refuses to let them march to the mountain. The opposing armies are about to start fighting when a goblin army attacks from the north. The dwarves join with Bard's and Thranduil's forces and the Battle of Five Armies is fought. Bard fights valiantly, leading the defence of the mountain's eastern spur. After the battle is over Thorin dies from his wounds, and at his burial Bard places the Arkenstone upon his breast (now, if that's not noble, I don't know what is!). Bard is given a share of the dragon's hoard, some of which he sends to the Master of Esgaroth, some he gives to Thranduil (generous as well as noble!). He wants to reward Bilbo most generously of all, but Bilbo will take only as much as he can carry in two small chests.

Bilbo goes off home, but later finds out that Bard has rebuilt the town in Dale and the valley is tilled and rich again. From other Tolkien sources you find that ever afterwards the men of Dale, in honour of their NOBLE LEADER, named themselves "Bardings".

WilliamJESnider
Bree

Aug 23 2010, 12:41am

Post #36 of 47 (915 views)
Shortcut
He is from 'North and South' isn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

This Richard Armitage guy is from 'North and South' right?

admin of http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Freeman-should-portray-Bilbo-Baggins/101180775324

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 23 2010, 7:54am

Post #37 of 47 (907 views)
Shortcut
Yes - among other things // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bond-Of-Blood
Rivendell

Aug 23 2010, 8:25pm

Post #38 of 47 (902 views)
Shortcut
YES! Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
my vote is for bond of blood! Go son go!

A vote for all my efforts! Thanks Merlwynd!

I'm currently on location shooting a NZ tv commercial and checking posts during down time. :)

I'm about as unknown an actor as Billy or Dom were in LOTR and I'm ALL about the character. The casting director on TH seemed impressed with my portrayal so fingers crossed. :)

Garfeimao
Rohan

Aug 23 2010, 8:34pm

Post #39 of 47 (855 views)
Shortcut
I vote James Purefoy from Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome recap of who Bard is, and a good reason why it needs to be a strong, capable actor, not some afterthought performance. I think Marc Antony could do well in this role.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

sphdle1
Gondor

Aug 24 2010, 11:29am

Post #40 of 47 (826 views)
Shortcut
Good luck...good skill BOB [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get the part, and I have a strong feeling that you will.

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Aug 24 2010, 11:29am)

sphdle1
Gondor

Aug 24 2010, 11:40am

Post #41 of 47 (951 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman for Bilbo all the way... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen a lot of opinions/examples of who could best bring back Holm's Bilbo, but no one IMHO would be as good for the part as Martin Freeman. He looks just like a younger Holm, he has the full serious range of acting including perfect comedic timing needed to portray Bilbo, he is the same height & build as Holm. I think they would be crazy not to even consider auditioning him...if that were the case, the casting directors would have to have had their heads completely in the sand.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 25 2010, 12:03am

Post #42 of 47 (828 views)
Shortcut
I'm adamant about [In reply to] Can't Post

wanting anyone from LotR to be in The Hobbit; but aside from that, I'd really love to have players that aren't well known. I want them to be alive as these characters and not be distracted by familiar faces. I had to really work at not watching Elijah Wood and Sean Astin playing Frodo and Sam... but I persevered and overcame the challenge ;)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Pittsmen
Rivendell

Aug 27 2010, 8:24pm

Post #43 of 47 (803 views)
Shortcut
TOM WAITS [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Waits...

Bond-Of-Blood
Rivendell

Aug 27 2010, 11:00pm

Post #44 of 47 (841 views)
Shortcut
Yes... he certainly does! [In reply to] Can't Post

...as patiently as he can! ;)

Rivendell

Sep 2 2010, 6:46pm

Post #45 of 47 (757 views)
Shortcut
Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement. [In reply to] Can't Post

New Zealand's fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo playing a little tune in the backround in Rivendell.

Also Brendan Gleeson as any Dwarf and Gibby as the Master of Lake Town.

Dwarf for hire: Have Battle-Axe and Boots. Willing to travel.

"Something, something, something Darkside. Something, something, something complete."

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Sep 2 2010, 7:09pm

Post #46 of 47 (742 views)
Shortcut
They should really make a reappearance of Figwit possible. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vote for the upcoming LOTRO/TOR.n Kinship name!

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Eldy
Gondor

Sep 2 2010, 7:19pm

Post #47 of 47 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Arnold Schwarzenegger... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as Beorn! Cool

For some reason no one ever agrees with me on this. Frown

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.