Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2010, 12:16am

Post #1 of 6 (486 views)
Shortcut
Festival in the Shire Can't Post

Are any TORnfolk attending?

part of a note from another site::

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:07 pm (PDT)
We're at the Festival in the Shire in Aberystwyth attending the concert tonight. The talks have been spectacular.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 16 2010, 6:13am

Post #2 of 6 (362 views)
Shortcut
Nerdanel is there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although she hasn't been very active on TORn in recent years.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Aug 17 2010, 1:43pm

Post #3 of 6 (332 views)
Shortcut
Report from Aberystwyth, actually, Pontrhydfendigaid [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,
The conference was great! Apart from that, the Festival must have been a disaster for the vendors and organizers, although the organizers don't admit it. Shippey, Flieger, Garth, Corey Olsen (who suffers from motion sickness!), Alex Lewis & Colin Duriez (who took over scholar-wrangling after Brad Eden dropped out) Dimitra Fimi (who is now safely in possession of her Mythopoeic Aslan), Colin Manlove (who took back a number of uncomplimentary things he said about Tolkien's style in 1975), Diedre Dawson, as well as some very interesting recent PhDs or folks working on their dissertations, including Joseph Tadie (who spoke about Emmanuel Levinas and Tolkien--Tolkien + French philosophy + Wales--I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!), Melissa Arul (who spoke Indian English which I had trouble understanding, but I distinctly heard the words "Kristeva" and "phallus" many times--maybe it's a good thing Tolkien has died and gone to heaven!), Simon Eckstein (Tolkien and hiraeth), Sara Brown (Alchemical elements in LOTR), and others. The location was dull (for Wales) and isolated, with shuttle buses to Aberystwyth only at 6 and 8 pm, so everyone was pretty much stranded at the conference and stayed around to talk. Excellent papers, lots of discussion. There was even a bizarro world N.E. Brigand--an American who works for the Glyndebourne Opera Company, and has read everything by and about Tolkien. He did not carry it all in a bag, but he had an iPad so he might have had it all with him.

The Festival was dreary. Some folks wandering around in costume, one or two jewellery sellers, a guy selling fudge, a few other vendors, one table displaying cloaks, sticks, bags and knitted beards (?) but, as far as I could tell, not selling any. I did not pay for admission to the collectors' Fan "Expo" but I got to see it anyway--a letter by JRRT, some books (probably interesting to drogo, but not to me--except for the nice clean boxed set of the Ballantine paperbacks with the Barbara Remington covers I love) and some art. The onstage entertainment was sometimes excellent and sometimes embarrassingly bad. Overall, a spectacularly successful academic conference surrounded by a somewhat sad and tattered fan event.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

drogo
Lorien

Aug 17 2010, 3:03pm

Post #4 of 6 (227 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the report [In reply to] Can't Post

I see they are talking about the next one on their FB page, so I hope it did well enough for them to have it again, and maybe work out some of the kinks (it sounds like the Fan Expo part was a little disorganized). I would have loved to check out the Tolkien editions there!

I wonder how it will compare to the more established Oxonmoot and if the two will continue to be in competition, as it were!

Wish I could have been there, and thanks for the Mythopoeic Society help, Nerds (she carried the Aslan award statue to Dimitra Fimi, who won the 2010 Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inklings Studies).

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2010, 6:39am

Post #5 of 6 (267 views)
Shortcut
Diolch yn fawr! How would you spell that to [In reply to] Can't Post

represent speaking with a head cold?

Do you know whether the conference proceedings will be published in some form or fashion?

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Aug 18 2010, 9:14am

Post #6 of 6 (818 views)
Shortcut
Published proceedings were mentioned . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

so maybe. There is probably information on the Festival website: http://www.festivalintheshire.com/index.html

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.