Merlin vs Gandalf Can't Post

Um. Discuss...

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Aug 5 2010, 7:29pm

Post #2 of 6 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Merlinus Ambrosius...but, well, er.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...It would depend on whether we're talking about Gandy the Grey or White. Either way, I think Merlinus would defeat our beloved Gandalf if the fight was magic intensive. If, however, the fight was more sword to sword/hand to hand, Gandalf would send the baptised-demon-man back to Camelot crying for his mommy (The "Balrog Incident," anybody?). Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my first reaction.

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Farmer Giles of Ham"

(This post was edited by Leviathan's Bane on Aug 5 2010, 7:30pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2010, 10:08pm

Post #3 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Ummm [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf...just because.....G-Dot all the way....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Aug 16 2010, 12:51am

Post #4 of 6 (2954 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

No way merlin could win

Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn` Ambar-metta!
(For those who dont read Elvish)
Out of the great sea to Middle-Earth I am come. In this place I will abide,and my heirs, unto the ending of the world
Photobucket

turinMerlin

Aug 30 2010, 3:44am

Post #5 of 6 (6716 views)
Shortcut
Depends.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many different versions of Merlin, I think it's too hard to call. Gandalf came back from the dead, but in C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy", Merlin is resurrected to prepare for Arthur's second coming. In many romances, Merlin is the arrogant wizard who's snared in the end by a temptress, but in other sources---and even in current sci-fi/fantasy literature, Merlin is the man (long lost king destined to be a warrior/prophet to ensure Arthur's ascension to the throne).

Too hard for me to call......but I think it's safe to say that Tolkien based Gandalf very much on Merlin. They're so similar.....

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Dec 2 2013, 2:58pm

Post #6 of 6 (296 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.