Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Millions of 'non words' discovered in secret vault

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 4 2010, 3:23pm

Post #1 of 23 (2081 views)
Shortcut
Millions of 'non words' discovered in secret vault Can't Post

Did you know Professor Tolkien worked on the staff of the Oxford University Press (makes of the OED - Oxfrod English Dictionary) from 1919 to 1920? He worked in the 'W' range, discovering the meaning of words from 'waggle' to 'warlock.' (See a wonderful article on Tolkien's involvement with the OED here)

We bring this up because millions of 'non words' have been discovered in a secret vault owned by the Oxford University Press. A graphic design student, Luke Ngakane, discovered hundreds of these words in his research and used them in one of his design projects. It makes for an interesting article that we thought we'd share with you! Enjoy!  [Read More]

(This post was edited by calisuri on Aug 4 2010, 10:56pm)

kareniel
Lorien

Aug 5 2010, 1:47pm

Post #2 of 23 (583 views)
Shortcut
That is so marvelimsical! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 5 2010, 2:42pm

Post #3 of 23 (568 views)
Shortcut
I'm suffering a bit of xenolexica, myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although my kids are fluent in whinese, and not just on lengthy trips. Laugh

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2010, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 23 (574 views)
Shortcut
I do believe the OED is out of date! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of those words really are in "common usage".

There is a nifty definition for earworm. Although that same site contains a few strange definitions for wibble, those who have been waiting for word on the greenlight for The Hobbit understand firsthand its OED "nonword" meaning!

"Vidiot"? I've been hearing that since VCRs first became commonplace! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 5 2010, 4:57pm

Post #5 of 23 (588 views)
Shortcut
What would you call a secret vault full of unacceptable words?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

squire
Valinor

Aug 5 2010, 5:17pm

Post #6 of 23 (588 views)
Shortcut
Wordmere. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 5 2010, 6:12pm

Post #7 of 23 (557 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, but I bet my mother had the combination.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I always wondered where she got those great Polish swear words she was known for!

Weaver

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2010, 6:46pm

Post #8 of 23 (559 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't she get those from, er... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...I always wondered where she got those great Polish swear words she was known for!

... Poland?

Wink Smile

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

(but used to call me 5 by 5)

Patty
Immortal

Aug 5 2010, 7:45pm

Post #9 of 23 (586 views)
Shortcut
That cause me a wierd moment, Tim... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw your avatar and thought "he stole that from 5 x 5 !

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2010, 8:01pm

Post #10 of 23 (559 views)
Shortcut
Heh heh [In reply to] Can't Post

*looks at my avatar* - to quote Highlander, "There can be only one." Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 5 2010, 8:06pm

Post #11 of 23 (557 views)
Shortcut
Did one of those words happen to be "Oxfrod?" / [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 5 2010, 10:09pm

Post #12 of 23 (535 views)
Shortcut
You're not the only one, Patty! [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me a while to realize he'd changed his nick. Laugh

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 5 2010, 10:09pm

Post #13 of 23 (599 views)
Shortcut
Good catch! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 6 2010, 2:07am

Post #14 of 23 (637 views)
Shortcut
My husband's Polish Grandmother [In reply to] Can't Post

used to call him all sorts of affectionate/semi-insulting names, like Mr. Kapusta (I think Kapusta is cabbage?). And then there was something like "Tak a schveenya" which is my phonetic approximation, which he said meant something like "what a pig" (I don't think they're really swear words, though . . . )Shocked

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 6 2010, 8:34am

Post #15 of 23 (545 views)
Shortcut
I keep thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

Thetermine but guess where that one goes.Cool

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 6 2010, 5:09pm

Post #16 of 23 (524 views)
Shortcut
What? "Earworm" isn't a real word? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm asphinxiated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2010, 9:42am

Post #17 of 23 (550 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

- though, looking briefly at the list, it seems the article is mainly concerned with modern words which haven't made it. I'd have liked to have seen some of the older ones.

Here's a niggle -

"Some of these words date back to before 1918, when Lord of The Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien was editor of the OED..."

Tolkien was never an editor; a very senior position. He was employed, on a more or less freelance basis, as a lexicographer on what was then called the New English Dictionary, under one of its then editors, Dr. Henry Bradley.

There were only four editors in the Dictionary's original development, up to its publication in the 30s - Murray, Craigie, Bradley and Onions. Tolkien knew the latter three well, and immortalised all four as the 'Four wise Clerks of Oxenford' in Farmer Giles of Ham.

Thanks for the link to Gilliver's article. I can recommend a book by Gilliver et al called 'The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary', which is a terrific read.

(This post was edited by geordie on Aug 7 2010, 9:44am)

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 7 2010, 10:04am

Post #18 of 23 (489 views)
Shortcut
"Earworm" totally is a really word ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

As a matter of fact, I've got "Tarzan Boy" stuck in my head right now. Fortunately, it's a song I like. Wink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 7 2010, 10:07am

Post #19 of 23 (499 views)
Shortcut
Would that be Tim as in... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people call me...Tim?

Boom!

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Aug 7 2010, 10:36am

Post #20 of 23 (480 views)
Shortcut
The Ring of Words [In reply to] Can't Post

I also recommend this book with delight. I acquired a nearly untouched first-printing hardcover copy only a few weeks ago at a second-hand store. (Amazon carries Kindle, new and used paperback and hardcover.) It is organized into three sections: "Tolkien as Lexicographer," "Tolkien as Wordwright," and "Word Studies." The word studies, nearly two-thirds of the book, explore over 100 individual words Tolkien revived or coined for his writings.

bookgirl13 passed this information on
there are two very good podcasts which explore the relationship between Tolkien and Oxford University: http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/. They are available directly from the university website or through iTunes subscription.
...I found the second podcast especially interesting as it was discussing his work on the OED and his use of language as a lexicographer. The authors of The Ring of Words were taking part so it was largely an exploration of their book. There were lots of quirky facts that were new to me and the last section of the book is a collection of 'word studies' looking at key words such as mathom, waybread, ent and hobbit (of course). I particularly liked their analysis of how Tolkien could use differing narrative registers to build up his world in a way that few, if any, of his imitators could emulate. Their discussion of the structure of The Council of Elrond was enthralling. I listened and immediately ordered the book. Laugh

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 7 2010, 2:15pm

Post #21 of 23 (516 views)
Shortcut
Or Perhaps The Oxford Not-word Hord"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2010, 6:43pm

Post #22 of 23 (502 views)
Shortcut
Indeed it would be That Tim. ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim: Follow. But. Follow only if ye be TORNsibs of valour, for the making of The Hobbit is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no TORNsib yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of an A List veteran director lie strewn about its lair. So, brave TORNsibs, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for Hollywood studio bureaucratic ineptitude awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 8 2010, 7:48pm

Post #23 of 23 (615 views)
Shortcut
I figure [In reply to] Can't Post

that if you can understand the meaning *and* the new word is intentional (rather than the result of a mispelling or a brain-fade), then it's a real word. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.