Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
WB Hiring Game Developers for Hobbit. Good News for Movies?

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 2 2010, 7:53am

Post #1 of 5 (968 views)
Shortcut
WB Hiring Game Developers for Hobbit. Good News for Movies? Can't Post

This comes to us from Fragland.com via a Gamasutra job posting. Warner Brothers is hiring a director for future gaming development and they specific mention 'Hobbit' games. Here's the posting from Gamasutra:

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc. seeks a Director, Marketing for the Marketing department. Position will be responsible for brand development and product marketing activities for the entire portfolio of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit games at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Position manages high-level cross-company & external partnerships relative to the assigned franchises.

This is obviously good news for the gaming community, but could it also mean that WB is a bit more confident in The Hobbit films happening soon? If you are interested in the position, check out the full job listing at Gamasutra. [WB Job Listing]

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 2 2010, 4:29pm

Post #2 of 5 (411 views)
Shortcut
Probably unrelated...but who really knows? Maybe a sign of life. [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point, until TOR.net puts a flashing Green Light graphic at the top of the website nothing on the periphery really matters. I think the game development could have a totally independent life cycle from the movies. Does anyone know if WB has exclusive rights to the gaming license? What is the relationship of WB to Vivendi / Inevitable Studios? Are they subsidiaries?

Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivendi
Vivendi SA (formerly Universal) - French owned with GE NBC owning 80%?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 2 2010, 4:35pm)

phredegar
Bree

Aug 2 2010, 4:41pm

Post #3 of 5 (402 views)
Shortcut
Ars Gratia Artis [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like Jurassic Park - they make sure all the shelves are stocked with lunchboxes in the gift shop before the park officially opens. Shame it's all about making money; I'm hopeful enough to think - paraphrasing Ian Malcolm - that " Bilbo will find a way..."

Sorry this sounds a real saddo post. Yet perhaps it's apposite - JP2 was made based on the success of the first film and what a disappointment that was, all due respect to the late Mr Crichton. Thank heaven The Hobbit is a prequel...

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 2 2010, 4:43pm

Post #4 of 5 (458 views)
Shortcut
Hard to follow who owns what... [In reply to] Can't Post

Complicated corporate ownerhips..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric

"In 2004 GE bought 80% of Universal Pictures from Vivendi and Vivendi bought 20% of NBC forming the company NBC Universal. GE then owned 80% of NBC Universal and Vivendi owned 20%."

Whose on first?

http://www.vivendi.fr/vivendi/Nouvel-article,5902

Vivendi sold its NBC Universal shares to GE.

I see no connection to Warners or MGM.
Am I missing something?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 2 2010, 4:43pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2010, 7:27pm

Post #5 of 5 (1165 views)
Shortcut
It's good news. [In reply to] Can't Post

It means the proverbial fat lady hasn't sung yet at WB regarding The Hobbit. And make no mistake - they always tie in the game to a movie.

A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.