The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Help a newbie? TT/NYC info?

starfish

Jul 31 2010, 3:30pm

Post #1 of 9 (335 views)
Shortcut
Help a newbie? TT/NYC info? Can't Post

Hello out there!
I'm brand new to the TOR message boards, and message boards in general (yes I know it's the 21st century) so I am trying to figure out how to post, how to respond, how to upload an avatar (they say my photo is to large) etc.....
I'm also a simple as opposed to advanced fan so I am not familiar with all the lingo (don't now what moots, sibs and many other things are yet) so I ask your patience and forgiveness.
So the real point of this message is to say that I will be going to the TT premeire at RCMH. I do not personally know any other Tolkien fans and so will be going solo. Now, I am no stranger to traveling by myself and do not feel uncomfortable in that position but it would be nice to meet up with some other folks! I would love to meet other fans and maybe check out the city with some people. So if anyone is interested in meeting up or has some info to pass along I would much appreciate it!
Somtimes it's lonely when you are the only Tolkien fan you know and your swimming in a sea of Harry Potter Heralders Wink

Many Thanks!

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 31 2010, 3:42pm

Post #2 of 9 (164 views)
Shortcut
I think what your looking for... [In reply to] Can't Post

can be found in these threads (click one below). Hope this helps and welcome to TORn. Smile

here and here

fence_horse Pictures, Images and Photos

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 31 2010, 4:10pm

Post #3 of 9 (201 views)
Shortcut
more guidance [In reply to] Can't Post

The links that Analeewyn provided to the other threads on this event will be of some help. In one of those, I commented that - in my experience last year - some things I enjoyed were large committee arranged activities - and some things were more quiet, privately arranged activities. Private doesn't so much mean other people wouldn't have been invited. It more means, the contact and arrangements were made between individuals. In the middle of these two sorts of arrangements was a third type which I was not able to take advantage of - smaller groups of people meeting up to go site seeing, etc... often led by a volunteer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can wait to see what larger events get announced, but it doesn't hurt to be proactive in setting stuff up on your own, either. As we get closer, I think people will start being more aggressive about making that happen. So don't be too alarmed if nothing seems to be happening right now. It will happen.

I'll also point to a link in my footer that leads to some help in using images here at TORn. That will walk you through the steps of the procedures. It doesn't help much with changing image sizes since that process is so dependent on each individual's skills and available resources. If you have an image you wish to use as an avatar and no easy/quick way to make it the correct size, I can do that in less than a minute. If you'd like me to do it, the easiest way would be to find my email address in my profile and mail the image to me. If you don't want to share you email address and the image is small enough to attach to a PM, you could PM it to me. If it's too big for PM, the only other way to share it would be to place it on the net somewhere where I could retrieve it. For example... on Photobucket, Picasa, etc... or by sharing through YouSendIt or other file sharing sites. (YouSendIt is a completely legitimate resource for sharing files between people. The file you place on the site is only accessible by the people you wish to have it and is only there for 3-7 days)

Welcome to TORn. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 31 2010, 4:13pm)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2010, 6:52pm

Post #4 of 9 (181 views)
Shortcut
Welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

and great you'll be coming to NYC as well.

As suggested by the others who replied to your message. Just keep an eye open for this part of the boards. Here you will find everything that will be planned and organised.

I also travel alone and last year was my first time to meet any of the people from TORn and I had a great time. I went to the planned moot on Friday night where there were a lot of people. But also on Thursday night to a concert for which I just asked somebody who wrote she was going.
On Saturday I had breakfast with Magpie, which was really nice to really talk to each other (which you can not really do in such a large group) and in the afternoon we went with a group to Ground Zero.
Well, to get my story short. Just see what is being planned, if you think it will be fun, you can join in. Most things are just for fun and you don't have to register for it. And you can always just contact somebody if you think they know more or can help you with anything.

I hope to see you in New York.
Oh, and welcome to TORn, you'll get the words and the how-to soon enough.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 31 2010, 8:52pm

Post #5 of 9 (186 views)
Shortcut
Thanks... [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie and Rosie-with-the-Ribbons! I knew others would be able to help much more than me as I don't get to go this year **sniffs** Unsure. It is wonderful to have advice from those who have gone before and are going this year. Oh, and I would never have survived my first SCOD last year without your pic advice Magpie! So, it is certainly a perfect place for newbies to begin, and of course in Altaira's wonderful FAQ threads that I still find myself having to frequent often!Laugh

fence_horse Pictures, Images and Photos

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2010, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 9 (310 views)
Shortcut
I went last year and there were Many Meetings. Watch this space!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to go to work today
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

starfish

Aug 1 2010, 4:10pm

Post #7 of 9 (179 views)
Shortcut
Gratzie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much you all. I know my post went up a little early considering the show is not till October but I just finalized my reservations yesterday and I guess I got a little excited! Once I get these boards figured out I will look forward to future chats.

Hope to meet some of you in NYC!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Aug 1 2010, 10:14pm

Post #8 of 9 (155 views)
Shortcut
mae govannen starfish! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to TORn and to LotR fandom! Here begin many merry meetings! You'll soon find there are many great things going on around LotR fans - as Magpie said, somethings are formal, some not so formal. This is just a great place to begin and find out what's going on!

As you'll see from threads below (and to which you have been directed), there will be an official 'host hotel' for the weekend in NYC, but which is not yet confirmed. If you haven't already got your ticket to Radiocity, most TORnsibs (ie folks who post here, and would love to meet you!) will be going on Saturday night. There will probably be a TORn gathering on Friday night. As has been said, other events will happen and info will be posted here.

One thing's for sure - you've made the right choice to head to NYC that weekend. You will meet many like minded folks and will make new friends and have merry meetings! Welcome again! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2010, 12:13am

Post #9 of 9 (301 views)
Shortcut
Welcome starfish! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much more I can add to what everyone else has said. When I first got on the boards I spent a while reading posts and getting the vibe of the place. Not to mention reading the FAQ backwards and forwards!

Yes, NYC in October will be an excellent time for meeting other Lord of the Rings fans - keeping watching the TORn Moots threads for more information, which should be up any day now. Wink

"...and back again."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.