Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
LOTR: The Two Towers Live at Radio City Music Hall - Tickets On Sale Now!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 28 2010, 4:19pm

Post #1 of 43 (619 views)
Shortcut
LOTR: The Two Towers Live at Radio City Music Hall - Tickets On Sale Now! Can't Post

Tickets are now on sale for the highly anticipated The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, which will be presented live to film at Radio City Music Hall for two performances only, on Friday, October 8th and Saturday, October 9th, 2010. Following the success of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring’s concert last October, the Academy Award®-nominated film The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers gets the same treatment at the world-famous Radio City Music Hall. Beneath an immense 60-foot screen, Howard Shore’s Grammy®-winning complete original score will be performed live to Peter Jackson’s award-winning epic. Click here for high resolution images.

The music of Middle-earth will be brought to life by more than 300 musicians: Switzerland’s 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, The Grammy Award®-winning Brooklyn Youth Chorus, and renowned soprano Kaitlyn Lusk, all under the direction of celebrated Maestro Ludwig Wicki.

Last fall, over 10,000 people filled Radio City for The Fellowship of the Ring shows. The New York Times said “the music of Middle-earth soared at Radio City Music Hall,” while Entertainment Weekly said “it was a terrific night at the theater.”

For tickets, please visit www.ticketmaster.com or call 1-866-858-0008. Tickets range from $59.00 – $150.00.

ABOUT THE FILM

Released on December 18, 2002 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is the second installment in Peter Jackson’s fantasy adventure film trilogy based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Set in Middle-earth, the story picks up with Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) trekking to Mordor to destroy the One Ring of Power while Gimli (John Rhys-Davies), Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) search for the orc-captured Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd). All along, nefarious wizard Saruman (Christopher Lee) awaits the Fellowship members at the Orthanc Tower in Isengard. Highly acclaimed by critics and fans alike, the film earned over $925 million worldwide, making it one of the highest grossing films of the year in the U.S. and worldwide. The film remains one of the top-10 highest-grossing worldwide films of all time. It won two Academy Awards®, a Grammy® Award and three BAFTAs, and was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars®, Golden Globes®, and BAFTA Awards.

ABOUT THE ARTISTS

Howard Shore (Composer) is among today’s most respected, honored, and active composers and music conductors. His work with Peter Jackson on The Lord of the Rings trilogy stands as his most towering achievement to date, earning him three Academy Awards®. He has also been awarded four Grammys® and three Golden Globes. Shore was one of the original creators of Saturday Night Live where he served as the music director from 1975 to 1980. At the same time, he began collaborating with David Cronenberg, and has scored 12 of the director’s films, including The Fly, Dead Ringers, Crash, Naked Lunch and Eastern Promises for which he was honored with a Genie Award. Shore continues to distinguish himself with a wide range of projects, from Martin Scorsese’s The Departed, The Aviator, and Gangs of New York, to Ed Wood, The Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia, and Mrs. Doubtfire. Shore’s music has been performed in concerts throughout the world. In 2003, Shore conducted the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in the world premiere of The Lord of the Rings Symphony in Wellington, New Zealand. Since then, the work has had over 140 performances by the world’s most prestigious orchestras. In 2008, Howard Shore’s opera of The Fly premiered at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris and at The Los Angeles Opera. Other recent works include Fanfare for the Wanamaker Organ in Philadelphia and a piano concerto in 2010 for Lang Lang. He is currently working on his second opera and looks forward to a return to Middle-earth with J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. Shore received the Career Achievement for Music Composition Award from the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures and New York Chapter's Recording Academy Honors, ASCAP’s Henry Mancini Award and the Frederick Loewe Award. He holds honorary doctorates from Berklee College of Music and York University and he is an Officer of the French Order of Arts and Letters.

Ludwig Wicki (Conductor) began his career as a member of the Lucerne Symphony and Opera Orchestra and founder of the San Marco Brass and the Philharmonic Brass Quintet. After studying choral conducting with the music director of the world-renowned Dresdner Kreuzchores in Germany, Wicki became a permanent member of the Schola Romanum Luzernsis under the direction of Pater Roman Bannwart. Wicki then went on to become the music director at the Palace Chapel of Lucerne where he led the choir in Georgian chants and performances of Bach, Handel, Monteverdi and Palestrina, as well as the orchestra in works by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and more. He inaugurated a Renaissance ensemble, Il Dolcimelo, and created the concert series Treffpunkt Haydn. In 1999, he founded the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, which has collaborated with internationally-renowned composers including Howard Shore, Randy Newman and Martin Böttcher. In 2007, the city of Lucerne presented Maestro Wicki with a Special Achievement Award for his contribution to the city’s cultural life.
Film music is the credo and passion of the Lucerne-based 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, led by Artistic Director Ludwig Wicki. The group has garnered wide acclaim for projects such as James Bond in Concert, Italian Film Music: An Hommage to Ennio Morricone and Maurice Jarre and An Evening with Randy Newman. In 2007, the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra entered into a partnership with Academy Award®-winner Howard Shore and has performed his complete score for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. live to the epic motion picture. The project continues with the world premiere of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King in 2010.

The Grammy® Award-winning Brooklyn Youth Chorus, now in its 17th season, is one of the country’s leading children’s choruses. Led by founder and artistic director Dianne Berkun, BYC choristers study and perform a range of music in classical and non-classical genres. The Chorus has toured Austria, Russia, the United Kingdom, Canada and Germany; performed at venues including Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Madison Square Garden and the White House; sung with major artists such as Elton John, Barbara Cook, Lou Reed, John Legend, Natasha Bedingfield, Fantasia Barrino, Ray Davies, Judy Collins, Andrea Bocelli, and Mark Morris Dance Group.
Kaitlyn Lusk made her major orchestral singing debut with the Baltimore Symphony in 2003 at the age of 14 and has since been sought after for solo appearances with many of the nation’s leading orchestras. Since the fall of 2004, Kaitlyn has been the featured vocal soloist in Howard Shore’s The Lord of the Rings Symphony. She has performed this role with over 25 orchestras in the United States and Canada from the Philadelphia Orchestra to the San Francisco Symphony, and from the Houston Symphony to the Minnesota Orchestra. She has performed with conductors including Keith Lockhart, Alexander Mickelthwate, Allaistar Willis, Stuart Malina, Nicolas Palmer, Markus Huber. In January 2007, Kaitlyn made her European debut with Maestro John Mauceri and the Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig. In the summer of 2007, as part of an encore performance of The Lord of the Rings Symphony with the Cleveland Orchestra, she once again performed with Howard Shore, who in 2005 invited Kaitlyn to perform the Academy Award®-winning song as part of the Grammy® Honors of Howard Shore in New York City. In addition to her live performances, Kaitlyn’s first studio album, No Looking Back, features some of the top musicians and songwriters in the industry today and was produced by the award-winning composer and arranger, Kim Scharnberg.

This event is presented by CAMI Music and New York Comic Con in association with TheOneRing.Net. Swiss International Air Lines is the official sponsor.

WWW.THERADIOCITYLOTRCONCERT.COM

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 29 2010, 1:40am

Post #2 of 43 (280 views)
Shortcut
OMG this is so sudden! [In reply to] Can't Post

Friday? Saturday? what to wear? Is orchestra level good or should I sit somewhere else.

HELP! (please)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2010, 12:51pm

Post #3 of 43 (312 views)
Shortcut
Great [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you come, so I can meet you for real.

Come Saturday night, I think most have tickets for Saturday. And last year there was a moot on Friday night, so try to keep that day free as well.

I don't think RCMH has any bad seats, so just see what you want to spend. I'm Orchestra JJ 413.

And what to wear. Whatever you like. I saw costumes, nice clothing and jeans with shirts last year. So not a real dress code.

film fanNo.7
Bree

Jul 29 2010, 1:11pm

Post #4 of 43 (280 views)
Shortcut
OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG,OMG... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR SO LONG!!! PLEASE LET THERE BE TICKETS LEFT FOR ME!!!!

You know you're cool when...
-You have a nerd-spasm just because you walk by your Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs.
-You cry at the end of return of the king even though you've seen it about 13 times.
-You check TOR.n for updates when you should be doing your geography project.
-You would rather have Richard Taylor's autograph than Merryl Streep's.
-You doodle Treebeard in the margins of your math homework.
But if that's what I'm like... well than too bad for normal people!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2010, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 43 (283 views)
Shortcut
well... the tickets haven't *just* gone on sale. They've been available since last Dec [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is just a press release.

A press release which bumped one scheduled for Doug's book.

http://www.musicoflotr.com/...tml#comment-65022747

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

acheron
Gondor

Jul 29 2010, 2:02pm

Post #6 of 43 (765 views)
Shortcut
Meanwhile, Wolf Trap in Virginia will be showing Return of the King in Sept. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Two Towers is so last year. Wink

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 29 2010, 11:12pm

Post #7 of 43 (280 views)
Shortcut
It's a date then [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice RosieSmile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2010, 11:42pm

Post #8 of 43 (271 views)
Shortcut
"The Music of the LOTR Films" book signing - NYC [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films" by Doug Adams

Will include:
---Foreword by Howard Shore
---an Introduction by The Lord of the Rings screenwriter/producer Fran Walsh, ---original sketches by John Howe and Alan Lee
---numerous images from the films
---The Rarities Archive... a CD presenting 21 tracks of previously unreleased music created for the films, and an audio interview with Howard Shore.

October 7 Book signing and Q&A with Howard Shore and Doug Adams (Barnes and Noble, 1972 Broadway, New York, NY)

more info

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 29 2010, 11:45pm)

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2010, 10:17am

Post #9 of 43 (298 views)
Shortcut
Anyone know how large that Barnes & Noble is? [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I doubt 10,000 concert-goers would attend, an orderly crowd is preferable.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 30 2010, 11:55am

Post #10 of 43 (321 views)
Shortcut
Keep in mind, that's a Thursday [In reply to] Can't Post

Not everyone attending the concerts will be in town on Thursday. And not everyone attending the concerts will want the book.

But as to size, I wouldn't know. For what it's worth, here's the B&N page on that location.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Jul 30 2010, 6:23pm

Post #11 of 43 (286 views)
Shortcut
And again, I wish I could make it down there... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great memories of the FotR viewing there - is it really already more than two years ago?? Hope you are going to RotK - or better yet, come and join us all in NYC - if you can bear to watch TTT again... Tongue

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

overlithe64
Rivendell

Jul 31 2010, 1:49am

Post #12 of 43 (280 views)
Shortcut
Quivering with excitement... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I just need confirmation from my employer that I can have off that weekend...THEN buy tickets get a room...
I just hope I get off...I work for ORCs so you never know.

I am obsessed, but I am in excellent company.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 31 2010, 2:22am

Post #13 of 43 (312 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

You work for Orcs too! Well...I work for just one really nasty, smelly Orc who will not allow me off that weekend Evil. I hope everyone has a great time as it should be another exciting concert. I have made a point to put in for the next year being hopeful there will be a performance of ROTK (crossing fingers it will be that weekend). But your right, you never know about Orcs, but at least they let me play with radiation, so I can't really complain that much as everyday is glowing in my little Mordor of a hole Tongue.

fence_horse Pictures, Images and Photos

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 31 2010, 11:48am

Post #14 of 43 (281 views)
Shortcut
Did you get your ticket [In reply to] Can't Post

in the mail yet? My memory is horrible now, and I've got 511A - 2nd Mezz that I got last year, but *gulp, panic* I can't find it in my normal "safe stash" place where I keep such things! ahhh... but there's one more place to look.

Sometimes it sucks to be me!!! *shakes head pathetically*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 31 2010, 11:49am)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2010, 6:31pm

Post #15 of 43 (236 views)
Shortcut
I don't get my ticket mailed [In reply to] Can't Post

they don't mail it internationally. So I bought mine at will call. Which means I can pick it up at the theater the day before the show.

Good luck with the search!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 31 2010, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 43 (294 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward to meeting [In reply to] Can't Post

"the famous grammaboodawg" -- remember when someone called you that at Barliman's? -- how could it ever suck to be you?!

My seat is ORCH2-F201. Now to track down some accommodations and a tux.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 31 2010, 8:23pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 31 2010, 9:49pm

Post #17 of 43 (267 views)
Shortcut
re: the tux [In reply to] Can't Post

I am one who thinks we all need an excuse, every now and then, to dress up a little. I wore a long, ankle length dress that seems a bit Elvish to me and my husband wore a suit. We were definitely in the minority and most people (except for the few who thought like us and the ones in costume) were in casual, no big deal, every day clothes.

It's a shame... but it is what it is. I'd love to see you in a tux! :-) The ultimate dress up for a man for me is dress kilt with Prince Charlie jacket. my heart be still.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2010, 6:01am

Post #18 of 43 (284 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie, the photo suggests a roomy setup // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 1 2010, 3:09pm

Post #19 of 43 (222 views)
Shortcut
Accomodation [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wait a bit before booking somewhere. Last year there was a great offer on the Park Central Hotel. Really great located between Central Park and Times Square. Altaira said that news about the hotel would come soon. Maybe you could wait a bit to see what the offer will be this year.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 2 2010, 9:58am

Post #20 of 43 (266 views)
Shortcut
Are you kidding!? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to FINALLY meeting YOU TOO!! This is gonna be so much fun!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Garfeimao
Rohan

Aug 2 2010, 9:03pm

Post #21 of 43 (215 views)
Shortcut
I get in late on Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

which sucks, but it was a super cheap flight, and I only have to take half of Friday off from work, which is really all I could afford to do. So, I'll be missing the book signing, but I'm sure I'll pick up a copy on Saturday.

Also, the Fellowship Musical will be performing in NY that same weekend, press release coming. I may not make it into town early enough on Friday night to see the show, but once they give me the press release, I'll post the note here so others going can plug them in. These guys were a hit on the West Coast and played at one of our ORC coventions, so it's really great that they are finally making it to NY, they've been working long and hard to get it back there.

Now I need to go buy myself a ticket, I'm thinking I may go for Orchestra this year.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2010, 4:13am

Post #22 of 43 (270 views)
Shortcut
Greendragon, the FotR concert was in 2009 // [In reply to] Can't Post

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2010, 12:46pm

Post #23 of 43 (716 views)
Shortcut
The Radio City one was. Wolf Trap's FOTR was in May 2008./ [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to go to work today
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Aug 4 2010, 5:47am

Post #24 of 43 (223 views)
Shortcut
Oh yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like members of New Your Musical Theater group can buy tickets to shows now, but the general public can start buying tickets starting on Sept 1st. I'll have to remember to keep an eye on that site to snag one. I've seen the show 4 times here in SoCal...but would just love to see it again in NY.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

House Stark

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2010, 8:53am

Post #25 of 43 (195 views)
Shortcut
Found It!! :D *whew* [In reply to] Can't Post

After getting my ticket last November, I wasn't sure I had gotten my TT ticket in the mail yet, but here it is! That's what I get for putting something safely away in the strongbox, then losing the strong box!!!!!!!

I love happy endings :D

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.