The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
A (hopefully) more proper SCOD for July 22, 2010

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 22 2010, 4:23am

Post #1 of 8 (546 views)
Shortcut
A (hopefully) more proper SCOD for July 22, 2010 Can't Post

Alrighty, now that I have referred to some helpful hints of Magpies' I believe I can now make this a bit better of a SCOD than I did the other day.
So let's see:

(For a clearer view see here)

1. What do you think of this picture and the rather uninviting environment the hobbits find themselves in?
2. Gollum seems to be irritated in this scene, any ideas why?
3. It can be easy to see why this is not in the regular cut, to me, Frodo and Sam's conversation seems somewhat pointless, thoughts?
4. Additional comments?

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 22 2010, 9:51pm

Post #2 of 8 (336 views)
Shortcut
I liked this setting a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very suitable for serving as the outskirts of Mordor to me...

I have not listened to the commentaries for this -- I assume this is a real place in NZ, but don't know that for a fact...I guess the Weta crew could have come up with this though...

I was always curious too about the diamond shaped culvert-y place the hobbits are sleeping in at the start of this sequence -- I guess that's the sewer pipe out of Osgiliath?

Gollum I think is anxious to get to Shelob's Lair at this point.. I assumed he was impatient because hobbits taking time to talk about tea and such is just not on his agenda!

Oh, and congratulations on mastering picture-posting! SmileIt took me considerably longer and much hand holding from Magpie especially to get it right. Hard to believe I'm now a Tech Princess T-Shirt wearer!

Weaver

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 23 2010, 1:40am

Post #3 of 8 (319 views)
Shortcut
well actually [In reply to] Can't Post

it did take a lot of help, I had to refer back to ALL of the messages back and forth I had with Magpie the last time I volunteered for SCOD.

Yeah the shirt looks great on you Weaver! Wink

**And by the way, Magpie if you're reading, just want to say: You are awesome!!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 23 2010, 2:02am

Post #4 of 8 (308 views)
Shortcut
hey, you can borrow the t-shirt if you want! [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I'd have to figure out how the heck I can "deliver" it to you...

...and then I'd have to PM magpie...

hmmm...not much of a tech-princess am I!

More seriously, I thought her picture posting tips were pretty easy to follow...but I suspect she wrote them to work for "my" brain....which may make them hard for anyone other than me to follow!

Weaver

Twit
Lorien

Jul 23 2010, 9:32am

Post #5 of 8 (308 views)
Shortcut
here goes [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the way light seperates the Hobbits and Gollum, and shows them very definitely walking away from the light towards shadow. I think Gollum is trying to hurry them along, he wants the Ring back, but is also in pain from his scrap with Faramir.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 26 2010, 3:29am

Post #6 of 8 (287 views)
Shortcut
Spooky place. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that we get to see different environments Frodo and Sam have to venture through on their way to Mordor. I wonder if the Hobbits would find this place reminds them of an area of forest surrounding the Shire?

I think Gollum is not only anxious to get to Shelob, but I bet Smeagol is disappointed in what he feels like is his Master's betrayal by letting him be captured by men. Gollum is certainly in control at this point.

I agree. The dialogue just didn't provide any new information at this point or wasn't needed to connect the next scene.

fence_horse Pictures, Images and Photos

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 26 2010, 4:39pm

Post #7 of 8 (375 views)
Shortcut
Long dark teatime... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What do you think of this picture and the rather uninviting environment the hobbits find themselves in?

The tangled, bare, hostile-looking branches certainly look like they might be the kind of thing that grows on the approach to Mordor.

2. Gollum seems to be irritated in this scene, any ideas why?

He hasn't got much patience for the chit-chat of the hobbits, that's for sure. One reason is that he knows it's dangerous around there, and he doesn't want them to get caught by orcs before he can get them to Shelob where he hopes to get the Ring for himself.

The other is that he's probably already hatching his plan to separate the two hobbits, and he doesn't like to see Frodo relying on Sam and being encouraged by him like this.

3. It can be easy to see why this is not in the regular cut, to me, Frodo and Sam's conversation seems somewhat pointless, thoughts?

I agree it's better cut out of the final movie. The first bit of the conversation (about teatime) is right out of the book, but the movie doesn't dwell on cosy things like teatime at the start of FotR like the book does, so it doesn't really relate to anything that we might remember.

The second bit, where Frodo suddenly gets the feeling he won't be coming back, and Sam refuses to accept it, seems to me to be an attempt to get across the difference between Sam's undying hope, and Frodo's determination to carry on without hope. In the end, I think it's done better in the culvert scene at the start of RotK, where Sam says he's saving lembas for the journey home, and Frodo just gives him that look. I believe the culvert scene was filmed very late, at which point this SCOD scene becomes not just redundant but maybe even undermines the earlier scene.

4. Additional comments?

When I saw this scene on the EE, I recognized it from a bit of video that's on the TE extras disc. It shows a long shot of this scene being filmed (no dialogue can be heard), and I was struck by how you could see from his body language that Sam was reacting emotionally to something. I'd always wondered what it might be, so when I saw the EE I had the answer. Something a bit pointless, as you say! But at least that long shot proves that the scene was shot on location, and those bushes are real...

Crazy

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Jul 27 2010, 5:44am

Post #8 of 8 (410 views)
Shortcut
I love this scene, tough... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find a little thing somewhat distracting...
I can`t help but concentrating on HOW DIFFERENT they look from others scene... Sean Astin looks a lot thinner, and (don`t know why) his wig a lot bigger, Elijah`s face looks more mature, and also thinner. In the right next scene, they look normal again... That is because this scene was filmed apparently in the last "pick-ups" of the trilogy. But I can`t help finding a little distracting... Is there a way to NOT being distracted by this fact? hehe.. I`m not saying it ruin it for me, just distracting.

Back to the main point... I think many of us may find this scene a bit "useful", but I think that is because you have seen the end already, or know the story pretty well... This scene rises the impact of the FINAL moment when Frodo is considering let himself go at the Crack of Doom, It echoes it! that is its effectiveness.

Saludos Tornlings!

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.