Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
my Hobbit Music

larryshobbitmusic

Jul 22 2010, 4:17am

Post #1 of 5 (512 views)
Shortcut
my Hobbit Music Can't Post

Hullo,

I have started posting my musical compositions to go along with the songs and poems in The Hobbit and LoTR at:

http://hobbitmusic.webs.com

I hope you enjoy them. I have many more still to add. And over time I will try to make them more iPod-worthy.

With best wishes,

Larry

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Jul 22 2010, 6:28pm

Post #2 of 5 (259 views)
Shortcut
*rushes to get a copy of The Hobbit* .... Hey, they work! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have enough time right now to sit down and put the words to the melody, but I enjoyed what I've heard so far. They sound a lot less corny than all the audio-book versions I've heard! CrazyWink

I recently tried setting a few FOTR poems to some celtic jigs I knew on the guitar, but I never really succeeded in nailing down the tempo and meter of the poem. Are these all original compositions, or are some pre-existing folk melodies? I look forward to the "iPod worthy" tracks.

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Farmer Giles of Ham"

larryshobbitmusic

Jul 23 2010, 3:31am

Post #3 of 5 (525 views)
Shortcut
Re: *rushes to get a copy of the Hobbit* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Leviathan's Bane,

Thanks for the encouragement!

The tunes "Down the Swift Dark Stream You Go" and "Lazy Lob and Crazy Cob" are basically pre-existing folk melodies, and "Gil-galad was an Elven King" is modified from a medieval tune, but the others are original compositions.

Yes, I listened to Donald Swann and some audio clips of the Tolkien Ensemble, but they didn't sound quite right to me. Then after hearing Tolkien on The Tolkien Audio Collection sing The Troll Song to the folk melody The Fox and the Hound (which I hope to add to my site soon), I tried searching through pre-existing folk melodies for matches to his meters. No luck that way, except in one case (possibly). So I began listening to alot of traditional Irish music, medieval music and Gregorian Chant (I recommend Anonymous 4), until it began to pour back out. So some of my compositions use elements that are common in those types of music, but to fit Tolkien's meters and mood I've developed the tunes myself.

Though I am under the suspicion that Tolkien did have specific traditional folk melodies in mind for many of his poems, given their quite varied meters and irregular stanza endings. So if you know of a traditional tune that sounds somewhat like what I've written, please let me know! That might be the tune Tolkien really had in mind.

Good luck with you celtic jigs! I agree it is the style he was thinking of in most cases.

With best regards,

Larry

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jul 25 2010, 3:14am

Post #4 of 5 (269 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

These are great!!
I particularly love the The Chip the Glasses and the Gil-galad was an Elven King, of course they are all great!
Thanks for posting!!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

larryshobbitmusic

Aug 18 2010, 3:06am

Post #5 of 5 (772 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Aranel,

Thank you for letting me know which of the songs you like. That helps me to know where to put my effort.

All the best,

Larry

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.