TIME - July 10
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2010, 12:45am

Post #26 of 75 (968 views)
Shortcut
Sacred and of immense antiquity! [In reply to] Can't Post

That just about describes what this Riddle Game scene has become! Laugh But it did have "earth-shattering" consequences, did it not...! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 20 2010, 9:51am

Post #27 of 75 (1069 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 20, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. They fly to the Carrock and reach Beorn's in early afternoon.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...there is somebody that I know of, who lives not far away. That somebody made the steps on the Great rock—the Carrock I believe he calls it. He does not come here often, certainly not in the daytime, and it is no good waiting for him. In fact it would be very dangerous. We must go and find him; and if all goes well at our meeting, I think I shall be off and wish you like the eagles 'farewell wherever you fare!’ "

......"why is it called the Carrock?" asked Bilbo as he went along at the wizard’s side.
..."He called it the Carrock, because carrock is his word for it. He calls things like that carrocks, and this one is the Carrock because it is the only one near his home and he knows it well."
..."Who calls it? Who knows it?"
..."The Somebody I spoke of--a very great person. You must all be very polite when I introduce you. I shall introduce you slowly, two by two, I think; and you must be careful not to annoy him... ...He can be appalling when he is angry, though he is kind enough if humoured. Still I warn you he gets angry easily."
...The dwarves all gathered round when they heard the wizard talking like this to Bilbo. "Is that the person you are taking us to now?" they asked. "Couldn’t you find someone more easy-tempered? Hadn’t you better explain it all a bit clearer?"
..."Yes it certainly is? No I could not! And I was explaining very carefully," answered the wizard crossly. "If you must know more, his name is Beorn. He is very strong, and he is a skin-changer."
..."What! A furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn’t turn their skins into squirrels?" asked Bilbo.
..."Good gracious heavens, no, no, no, NO!" said Gandalf. "Don’t be a fool Mr. Baggins if you can help it; and in the name of all wonder don’t mention the word furrier again as long as you are within a hundred miles of his house... ...He is a skin-changer. He changes his skin; sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black-haired man with huge arms and a great beard. I cannot tell you much more, though that ought to be enough. Some say that he is a bear descended from the great and ancient bears of the mountains that lived there before the giants came. Others say that he is a man descended from the first men who lived before Smaug or the other dragons came into this part of the world, and before the goblins came into the hills out of the North. I cannot say, though I fancy the last is the true tale. He is not the sort of person to ask questions of.
..."At any rate he is under no enchantment but his own.... ..."We’re getting near," said Gandalf. "We are on the edge of his bee-pastures."

...After a while they came to a belt of tall and very ancient oaks, and beyond these to a high thorn-hedge through which you could neither see nor scramble.
..."You had better wait here," said the wizard to the dwarves; "and when I call or whistle begin to come after me--you will see the way I go--but only in pairs, mind, about five minutes between each pair of you. Bombur is the fattest and will do for two, he had better come alone and last. Come on Mr. Baggins! There is a gate somewhere round this way." And with that he went off along the hedge taking the frightened hobbit with him."

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2010, 10:41pm

Post #28 of 75 (999 views)
Shortcut
Of carrocks and squirrels [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd wondered about the origin of the word "carrock", until someone - I think it was NEB - pointed out that "carrec" is "rock" in Old Welsh. Another Tolkien pun, re-spelling it to make "rock" the second syllable!

Tolkien's reference to "turn their skins into squirrels" always confusticated me, until Kimi provided the answer: Bilbo was referring to unscrupulus furriers.

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2010, 1:41am

Post #29 of 75 (888 views)
Shortcut
I would think that this [In reply to] Can't Post

time in this tunnel prepared him for what he was going to face at the Lonely Mountain. I can't imagine what it's like to go for 2 days walking in the dark, no food, no light, no pipe. He never gives up!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2010, 1:47am

Post #30 of 75 (895 views)
Shortcut
What would we do [In reply to] Can't Post

without these geniuses!? Wow! I love how Tolkien plays with these words. It's like Peter putting chapter names into the dialogue. Tasty tidbits there for those who have eyes to see ;) and if you're blind like me, it just flows right along!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2010, 9:16am

Post #31 of 75 (897 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 21, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and company remain at Beorn’s.
..."'Get up lazybones or there will be no breakfast left for you.'
...'Up jumped Bilbo. 'Breakfast!' he cried. 'Where is breakfast?'
...'Mostly inside us,' answered the other dwarves who were moving around the hall; 'but what is left is out on the veranda. We have been about looking for Beorn ever since the sun got up; but there is no sign of him anywhere, though we found breakfast laid as soon as we went out.'
...'Where is Gandalf?' asked Bilbo, moving off to find something to eat as quick as he could.
...'O! out and about somewhere...,' ...he saw no sign of the wizard all that day until the evening. Just before sunset he walked into the hall, where the hobbit and the dwarves were having supper, waited on by Beorn's wonderful animals, as they had been all day. Of Beorn they had seen and heard nothing since the night before, and they were getting puzzled.
...'Where is our host, and where have you been all day yourself?' they all cried.
...'One question at a time—and none till after supper! I haven't had a bite since breakfast.'
...At last Gandalf pushed away his plate and jug... ...and he took out his pipe. 'I will answer the second question first,' he said, '—but bless me! this is a splendid place for smoke rings!'

..."...I have been picking out bear-tracks," he said at last. "There must have been a regular bears' meeting outside here last night. I soon saw that Beorn could not have made them all: there were far too many of them, and they were of various sizes too. I should say there were little bears, large bears, ordinary bears, and gigantic big bears, all dancing outside from dark to nearly dawn. They came from almost every direction, except from the west over the river, from the Mountains. In that direction only one set of footprints led—none coming, only ones going away from here. I followed these as far as the Carrock... ...They went straight off in the direction of the pine-woods on the east side of the Misty Mountains, where we had our pleasant little party with the Wargs the night before last. And now I think I have answered your first question, too," ended Gandalf, and he sat a long while silent.
...Bilbo thought he knew what the wizard meant. "What shall we do," he cried, "if he leads all the Wargs and the goblins down here? We shall all be caught and killed! I thought you said he was not a friend of theirs."
..."So I did. And don't be silly! You had better go to bed, your wits are sleepy."
...The hobbit felt quite crushed... ...he did go to bed; and while the dwarves were still singing songs he dropped asleep, still puzzling his little head about Beorn, till he dreamed a dream of hundreds of black bears dancing slow heavy dances round and round in the moonlight in the courtyard. Then he woke up when everyone else was asleep, and he heard the same scraping, scuffling, snuffling, and growling as before."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2010, 10:33am

Post #32 of 75 (891 views)
Shortcut
Breakfast! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what they had for breakfast - and lunch - and supper? Bread and honey, but there must have been quite a pile of fruits and vegetables as well. (Did Beorn's animals have any cooking ability?) No meat, of course! Crazy

And what an annoying wizard Gandalf is, at least as far as Bilbo and the Dwarves are concerned: they want answers, right away! But they should know him well enough by now, to know that if he's slow in delivering news, then it is good news, or news that does not concern their own safety.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 22 2010, 10:58am

Post #33 of 75 (895 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 22, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. They ride out from Beorn's in early afternoon.
..."Next morning they were all wakened by Beorn himself. "So here you all are still!" he said. He picked up the hobbit and laughed: "Not eaten up by Wargs or goblins or wicked bears yet I see"; and he poked Mr. Baggins' waistcoat most disrespectfully. "Little bunny is getting nice and fat again on bread and honey," he chuckled. "Come and have some more!"
...So they all went to breakfast with him. Beorn was most jolly for a change... ...in a splendidly good humour and set them all laughing with his funny stories; nor did they have to wonder long where he had been or why he was so nice to them, for he told them himself. He had been over the river and right back up into the mountains---from which you can guess that he could travel quickly, in bear's shape at any rate. From the burnt wolf-glade he had soon found out that part of their story was true...
..."It was a good story, that of yours," said Beorn, "but I like it still better now I am sure it is true. You must forgive my not taking your word. If you lived near the edge of Mirkwood, you would take the word of no one that you did not know... ...I can only say that I have hurried home as fast as I could to see that you were safe, and to offer you any help that I can. I shall think more kindly of dwarves after this. Killed the Great Goblin, killed the Great Goblin!" he chuckled fiercely to himself...
......All that morning they were busy with preparations. Soon after midday they ate with Beorn for the last time, and after the meal they mounted the steeds he was lending them, and bidding them many farewells they rode off through his gate at a good pace."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2010, 11:27am

Post #34 of 75 (968 views)
Shortcut
Little bunny! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, see, even Beorn thinks Bilbo is a rabbit...Laugh! No, actually, I think he's just found a diminutive word to rhyme with "honey". But "Bilbo Bunny" does sound rather cute, don't you think? Angelic

And what a new friend to have: he "hurried home" to ensure their safety. No wonder he became especially fierce at the Battle of Five Armies, when Thorin fell.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2010, 12:48am

Post #35 of 75 (861 views)
Shortcut
Earth shattering? [In reply to] Can't Post

Only in the MIDDLE!!! Sly

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2010, 12:53am

Post #36 of 75 (858 views)
Shortcut
I'm always taken with [In reply to] Can't Post

how much Beorn's table sets with the same food as Tom Bombadil's. :)

That's so true! Gandalf is quick to share bad info and gives out the good precisely when he means to!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2010, 1:00am

Post #37 of 75 (970 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo Bunny!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

First the Trolls, and now Beorn... and the eagles? Poor Bilbo was referred to as a rabbit, like, 4 times or so!!!

Oh.. I hope they have Beorn arriving at the battle exactly like the book! It's AWESOME! *twitch*

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2010, 8:36am

Post #38 of 75 (869 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Ride through grasslands west of Mirkwood.
..."... morning dawned bright and fair again. There was an autumn-like mist white upon the ground and the air was chill, but soon the sun rose red in the East and the mists vanished, and while the shadows were still long they were off again... ...all the while they saw nothing save grass and flowers and birds and scattered trees, and occasionally small herds of red deer browsing or sitting at noon in the shade. Sometimes Bilbo saw the horns of the harts sticking up out of the long grass, and at first he thought they were the dead branches of trees."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2010, 11:30am

Post #39 of 75 (919 views)
Shortcut
Obviously written [In reply to] Can't Post

by an experienced walker - someone who knows what antlers look like, sticking up above the grass!

I understand that Tolkien was fond of taking long (multi-day) walks, especially with friends like C.S. Lewis. There are times I wish the U.S. was more conducive to that kind of activity; it seems like in many places, the only areas available to long nature walks are parks and backpacking trails - I wonder if the U.K. still has that system of day walks with hostels?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2010, 2:21pm

Post #40 of 75 (895 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 24, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bright, fair, chill fall-like mist. Bilbo sees Beorn. Press on under moon.
..."...they were eager to press on, for Beorn had said that they should reach the forest-gate early on the fourth day, that they rode still forward after dusk and into the night beneath the moon. As the light faded Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction. But if he dared to mention it to Gandalf, the wizard only said: "Hush! Take no notice!""

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2010, 3:18pm

Post #41 of 75 (853 views)
Shortcut
I'm fortunate [In reply to] Can't Post

to live in an area where I can walk in open fields, wooded areas, and farmland. I pretty much stick to the gravel roads, but I've been known to divert and find myself a few miles deep into off-road adventures :)

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2010, 9:11pm

Post #42 of 75 (856 views)
Shortcut
"Off-road adventures" [In reply to] Can't Post

Like finding yourself in deep gullies where the vegetation lets you go only one direction, and with strange trees with swinging leaves singing gently over your head, eh? Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2010, 9:15pm

Post #43 of 75 (880 views)
Shortcut
There are some things [In reply to] Can't Post

that one should not mention if one sees them, once one is over the edge of the Wild! I do wonder if that sighting of Beorn made Bilbo more, or less, at ease...we don't know if the hobbit had any idea that it was him!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2010, 1:59pm

Post #44 of 75 (920 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 25, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Company approach the west edge of Mirkwood.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
...Next day they started before dawn, though their night had been short. As soon as it was light they could see the forest coming as it were to meet them, or waiting for them like a black and frowning wall before them....
..."Well, here is Mirkwood!" said Gandalf. "The greatest of the forests of the Northern world. I hope you like the look of it. Now you must send back these excellent ponies you have borrowed."
...The dwarves were inclined to grumble at this... ... "Beorn is not as far off as you seem to think, and you have better keep your promises anyway, for he is a bad enemy. Mr. Baggins' eyes are sharper than yours, if you have not seen each night after dark a great bear going along with us or sitting far off in the moon watching our camps. Not only to guard you and guide you, but to keep an eye on the ponies too. Beorn may be your friend, but he loves his animals as his children. You do not guess what kindness he has shown you in letting dwarves ride them so far and so fast, nor what would happen to you, if you tried to take them into the forest."
..."What about the horse, then?" said Thorin. "You don't mention sending that back."
..."I don't, because I am not sending it."
..."What about your promise then?"
..."I will look after that. I am not sending the horse back, I am riding it!"
...Then they knew that Gandalf was going to leave them... ...and they were in despair. But nothing they could say would change his mind.
..."Now we had this all out before, when we landed on the Carrock" he said. "It is no use arguing. I have, as I told you, some pressing business away south; and I am already late through bothering with you people. We may meet again before all is over, and then again of course we may not. That depends on your luck and on your courage and sense; and I am sending Mr. Baggins with you. I have told you before that he has more about him than you guess... ...So cheer up Bilbo and don't look so glum. Cheer up Thorin and Company! This is your expedition after all. Think of the treasure at the end, and forget the forest and the dragon, at any rate until tomorrow morning!""

sample sample

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 19 2011, 9:50pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2010, 6:22pm

Post #45 of 75 (862 views)
Shortcut
Keep your peckers up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but I can no longer read this without thinking about Tolkien's original wording! Laugh

And Adventures are fine things, until the Darkness is looming before you. Even if Mirkwood were bright and airy, I'd still want a Wizard by my side!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2010, 2:18pm

Post #46 of 75 (858 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 26, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf departs at the west edge of Mirkwood.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."When tomorrow morning came he still said the same. So now there was nothing left to do but to fill their water-skins at a clear spring they found close to the forest-gate, and unpack the ponies. They distributed the packages as fairly as they could, though Bilbo thought his lot was wearisomely heavy, and did not at all like the idea of trudging for miles and miles with all that on his back.
..."Don't you worry!" said Thorin. "It will get lighter all too soon. Before long I expect we shall all wish our packs heavier, when the food begins to run short."
...Then at last they said good-bye to their ponies and turned their heads for home. So off they trotted gaily... ...As they went away Bilbo could have sworn that a thing like a bear left the shadow of the trees and shambled off quickly after them.
...Now Gandalf too said farewell. Bilbo sat on the ground feeling very unhappy and wishing he was beside the wizard on his tall horse. He had gone just inside the forest ... ...and it had seemed as dark in there in the morning as at night, and very secret; "a sort of watching and waiting feeling," he said to himself.

..."Good-bye!" said Gandalf to Thorin. "And good-bye to you all, good-bye! Straight through the forest is your way now. Don't stray off the track!---if you do, it is a thousand to one you will never find it again and never get out of Mirkwood; and then I don't suppose I, or any one else, will ever see you again."
..."Do we really have to go through?" groaned the hobbit.
..."Yes, you do!" said the wizard, "if you want to get to the other side. You must either go through or give up your quest. And I am not going to allow you to back out now, Mr. Baggins. I am ashamed of you for thinking of it. You have got to look after all these dwarves for me," he laughed....
......growled Thorin. "Good-bye! If you won't come with us, you had better get off without any more talk!"
..."Good-bye then, and really good-bye!" said Gandalf, and he turned his horse and rode down into the West. But he could not resist the temptation to have the last word. Before he had passed quite out of hearing he turned and put his hands to his mouth and called to them. They heard his voice come faintly: "Good-bye! Be good, take care of yourself—and DON'T LEAVE THE PATH!"
...Then he galloped away and was soon lost to sight. "O good-bye and go away!" grunted the dwarves... ...they were really filled with dismay at losing him. Now began the most dangerous part of all the journey. They each shouldered the heavy pack and the water-skin which was their share, and turned from the light that lay on the lands outside and plunged into the forest."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2010, 4:11pm

Post #47 of 75 (852 views)
Shortcut
The "most dangerous part of the journey"? [In reply to] Can't Post

They'be been nearly eaten by Trolls, and "boulder-ized" in the Misty Mountains, and captured by goblins, and burned alive while wolves howled...and now, simply going from point A to point B in a dark forest is worse? Crazy

Clearly this is no ordinary stretch of woods! Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2010, 7:43pm

Post #48 of 75 (855 views)
Shortcut
Fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

And running through grown cornfields HURTS!!! Slice and dice with those sharp-edged leaves!! It's easy to get disoriented... but most times you know you're 1 to 2 miles from the road if you stick to a row.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2010, 7:48pm

Post #49 of 75 (850 views)
Shortcut
Once Gandalf shushed [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo, I'll bet he had a good idea it was Beorn. I like how the bear followed on one side and then the other. Tactic? Or so he could see all of his animal friends?

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2010, 7:53pm

Post #50 of 75 (847 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo had ever ventured into the Old Forest? He really seems like he's just along for the ride at this point. Dark forests and tunnels. That poor hobbit really spent a lot of time in the dark!

sample sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.