Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Music Notes - July 2010

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 15 2010, 4:28pm

Views: 1489
Shortcut
Music Notes - July 2010 Can't Post

July 2010 Music Notes

Greetings TORn Movie Board!

Welcome to the third edition of "Music Notes", our Movie TORn discussion series, where we take a look at recent screencaps in our SCOD series, and discuss them from a musical perspective. A round of applause first to our score expert, Magpie, for compiling background and technical info. In addition, many links herein are from her site, and if ever you want to know all the details on the LOTR score, check out her amazing site.

Today we'll be looking at the SCOD “Eowyn’s Dream” from June.

Here is where you can take a listen to the music accompanying this scene:

CR-ROTK, Disc 1, Track 9 – ÉOWYN’S DREAM - entire track

or

link to index page:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...MusicNotes/index.htm

or

direct link to soundclip:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...ream/EowynsDream.mp3

Here is a detailed commentary from the AS-ROTK (Annotated Score-Return of the King):

AS-ROTK:

“The celebration at Edoras has subsided. Most of the revelers having long since bedded down, Aragorn wanders alone, pausing to stoke the dying fire in the Golden Hall. Nearby, Éowyn stirs, waking from a dream. As she tells Aragorn of her dream ....

“I dreamed I saw a great wave climbing over green lands and above the hills. I stood upon the brink. It was utterly dark in the abyss before my feet. A light shone behind me but I could not turn. I could only stand there, waiting.”

... a lush setting of the Éowyn and Aragorn theme plays. Aragorn comforts her ...

“Night changes many thoughts. Sleep Eowyn. Sleep... while you can. “

... and the second phrase, the section of the theme that was cut short during the party, finally completes the melody.

Éowyn clutches Aragorn’s hand, and falls back to sleep.”

So... just what is the “Eowyn and Aragorn” theme? Various reference material describe it:

AS-TTT (Annotated Score-The Two Towers): “longing ... the Éowyn and Aragorn theme, [is] the melody associated with her unrequited love.”

CR-TTT (Complete Recordings- The Two Towers): “Double fiddle sings the sad strains of Éowyn and Aragorn, its emotive, woody tone evoking romantic yearning, and strain. The melody sways downwards and upwards in arpeggiated figures ... But the theme, like the relationship between Éowyn and Aragorn, is forever bound up and never blossoms into a fully romantic melody.”

Discussion/Comments
From the SCOD discussion, there seem to be lots of mixed feelings about this scene! Personally I think it’s a visually and musically beautiful scene with a touch of awkwardness in the dialogue. IMO, partly due to Tolkien’s language not always being something that flows easily off the tongue, and partly to reflect that Eowyn and Aragorn were basically, awkward, with each other. However I particularly like this scene because I feel it’s such good example of how the score enhanced and in some cases, you might even say, rescued certain scenes. To me (again this is all my perspective, others are welcome to share!) the scene falls flat without the accompanying music. But with the music, it makes the sense of foreboding, of being lost and alone, very touching. And after reading the above descriptions, it does convey that sense of incompleteness and longing, the fact that Eowyn and Aragorn’s relationship never becomes fully realized.

Hints, pieces, and variations of it are heard in many scenes:
-in the scene where Eowyn realizes Aragorn is “one of the Dunedain”
-when Eowyn pleads with Aragorn to let her fight alongside him
-when she hands him the chalice at the victory celebration
-during the “Eowyn Dream” scene
-and finally in their moment together when Aragorn is preparing to leave to take the Dimholt Road

Also ... this is just an aside, not related to the music. But when I contemplated this screencap awhile, I suddenly remembered the scene from FOTR between Aragorn and Arwen, when she asks if he remembers when they first met, and he replies in Elvish, “I thought I had strayed into a dream.” And here he is shown, straying into Eowyn’s dream. Sometimes in our discussions we’ve uncovered ‘bookend’ scenes - scenes from one of the films that are later mirrored in another way in one of the other films. Isn’t the creative process fascinating? I think a lot of these occurrences are subconscious linkages, not purposely intended on the part of the film makers, that just bubble up and manifest in connections throughout the films.

So what are your thoughts out there? Does the scene feel differently to you, with the music as opposed to on its own? Does the music add or detract from the moment? Were you aware that this music was actually a theme, in that it was used throughout the films to represent an idea, a relationship? Let’s hear from you!

Loresilme

SCOD
Screencap of the Day. Series on Movie TORn that discusses screencaps from the trilogy in chronological order. Currently in discussion: The Two Towers.

CR
Complete Recordings. Sets of the movies' entire soundtrack from start to finish. Includes 3 CDs of soundtrack, one Audio DVD, and liner notes. Each film has its own CR set. The CR plays the movies' complete soundtracks in the order in which it appears in the film. (more info)

OST
Original SoundTrack. The soundtrack CDs, one CD for each movie. Includes selected pieces of music from the films, generally not in the order in which they appear. The OST CDs both omit music which was used in the films and includes some music which ultimately was not used in the films. (more info)

AS-TTT
Annotated Score-The Two Towers. Refers to a free PDF download of the films' score, authored by Doug Adams. There is an Annotated Score paired with each of the three Complete Recordings. They include a track by track discussion of the music (as heard on the Complete Recordings), the source text for lyrics used in that movie, and instruments and artists heard in that movie. (link to AS-TTT pdf - click to open, right click to download)

TTT-EE
The Two Towers-Extended Edition. The films' Extended Editions contain additional features, such as commentaries. This discussion quotes some of the "Audio Commentary" from the Extended Editions.

Understanding Soundclip References
Example: CR-TTT: Disc 3: 0:32 - 0:41
This means the selected piece of music appears on the Complete Recordings of The Two Towers, on Disc #3, starting at 32 seconds into the disc and ending at 41 seconds. All DVD times stamps are NTSC Standard

Dialog and scene descriptions are from The Council of Elrond

Subject User Time
Music Notes - July 2010 Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jul 15 2010, 4:28pm
    I like it. Legalize_Athelas Send a private message to Legalize_Athelas Jul 16 2010, 4:44am
        Listening vs watching Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jul 16 2010, 9:38pm
        I have to say... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 19 2010, 5:28pm
            Thanks Magpie, I know where you're coming from. Legalize_Athelas Send a private message to Legalize_Athelas Jul 20 2010, 4:12pm
                magic of music Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 20 2010, 5:11pm
    I love that theme... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 16 2010, 11:48pm
        Now you have me wondering Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jul 18 2010, 12:04pm
            I wonder if it's the Rarities Archive that's coming out Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 19 2010, 5:32pm
                Track 19 sounds intriguing... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 19 2010, 5:48pm
                    ah, so the Witchking moment is the Eowyn/Theoden theme... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 19 2010, 6:01pm
                        I suspect the HoH scene with Eowyn & Faramir... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 19 2010, 7:02pm
                            I'm going to hijack my own post here... Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jul 19 2010, 9:30pm
                                nice... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 20 2010, 1:14am
                                    the weather... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 20 2010, 2:14am
                                        nice... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 20 2010, 10:23pm
                                Clinging to winter's chill FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Jul 20 2010, 10:49am
                                    What a connection! Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jul 20 2010, 1:58pm
                            it's lovely music, but... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 20 2010, 1:00am
                                to be clear Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 20 2010, 1:59am
                                    ah, thanks! weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 20 2010, 2:08am
                                    Thanks! And here is a very helpful link on modes Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jul 20 2010, 11:22am
                                        See? You're all music theory whizzes already. Legalize_Athelas Send a private message to Legalize_Athelas Jul 20 2010, 3:44pm
                                            thanks for the theory info! weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 20 2010, 10:09pm
        cool observation Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 19 2010, 5:29pm
            when the fan TTT reviews hit on TORn... weaver Send a private message to weaver Jul 19 2010, 5:59pm
    hmm, yearning woodwinds... frederica bolger Send a private message to frederica bolger Jul 18 2010, 1:47pm
        Tristan and Isolde Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Jul 19 2010, 9:15pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.