Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Pippin's Fellowship Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 11 2010, 4:45pm

Post #1 of 13 (7865 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Pippin's Fellowship Costume? Can't Post

"When you have little fellows running around in frock coats and short trousers, you have to work hard to make that believable," notes Dickson. "But Peter was quite clear that he wanted them to look as real as possible."

Dickson did so by highlighting their pastoral nature. She used very natural fabrics and strong weaves, influenced by ancient European cultures. They wear waistcoats in harvest colors - greens, yellows and browns -- with brass buttons. But she also reinforced the playfulness of their stature and way of life. "I added a lot of quirks, things to jar the eye," she points out. "Their trouser legs and sleeves are too short, their buttons are too big, and their collars are out of proportion. I even made their pockets higher than usual for example, so when they put their hands in their pockets it has a very distinctive, funny look to us."
- from NLC Press Release, Dec 2001

Pippin's costume follows the basic rules of Hobbit clothing, but he lacks the vest his older companions wear. Basic soft grey trousers, cut short. Embroidered linen shirt, green coat, and scarf.

The shirt has been finely embroidered. Sadly, the screencaps that show the embroidery on cuffs and collar aren't as clear as I'd like. Of course, this embroidery had to be done on hero shirts, stunt shirts, and scaled down for size-double shirts. It was all done with a computerized embroidery machine, but I still have to wonder why they bothered.

Pippin is the only person in Middle Earth we see wearing a scarf, I think. For any curious knitters.

As always, more details over on AlleyCatScratch.

Any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the details in LOTR one costume at a time. It follows no particular order and appears on no particular day. Look for it when you see it. You can always find previous discussions on my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for July

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jul 11 2010, 11:36pm

Post #2 of 13 (5576 views)
Shortcut
I love the scarf! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do knit but don't do color/intarsia much - I'm more interested in cables right now - working on bobbles . . . I had as much fun with the embroidery on the shirts and elsewhere!

I also love the cloaks - they have an interesting weave.

Another thing I confess I wonder is why they all wore short pants. Ankle length trousers did come later than boot length pants - but Hobbits don't wear boots so the length issue would not apply.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 12 2010, 4:31am

Post #3 of 13 (5504 views)
Shortcut
I suppose when you're running around barefoot [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder is why they all wore short pants.

...you want to be able to wash your feet afterwards without having to wash the cuff of your trousers as well.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 12 2010, 4:35am

Post #4 of 13 (5585 views)
Shortcut
I'd really recommend [In reply to] Can't Post

that any interested knitters take a look at this page, and not just the one at AlleyCatScratch. Seems more accurate, and has this interesting bit of info:
An article about one of the LOTR costumiers (no longer available online) implies that the yarn used was a two-ply DK weight:
For example, scaling of the patterned wool scarves worn by hobbit Peregrin Took and his doubles which were machine-knitted by Hanson required her to painstakingly remove one strand from the double knitting wool for that to be worn by the small "body" double.
as well as suggestions for knitting your own.

*points up* Separating the plies in a smoother, slicker yarn is no picnic...doing it with a stickier fiber yarn for that length? I've been there. She has my sympathy.

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jul 12 2010, 1:44pm

Post #5 of 13 (5505 views)
Shortcut
oh! that is more work [In reply to] Can't Post

than I can be bothered to do. Amazing the detail and care that went into the costuming!

Thanks *Ataahua* - as much time barefoot as I've lived my life I should have figured that out on my own . . .

(This post was edited by Lothlorian on Jul 12 2010, 1:46pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 13 2010, 2:06am

Post #6 of 13 (5636 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love geeks! Heart This is a great look at Pippin's scarf.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for July

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 14 2010, 3:13am

Post #7 of 13 (5528 views)
Shortcut
kind of reminds me of Tom Baker's Dr. Who with that scarf... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like that particular Doctor, a fun loving nature seems to go with a scarf!

I do like the embroidery, too -- it's not overwhelming, but it makes the entire outfit more interesting.

And I love that shot of Billy Boyd in costume pose. What a character!

Weaver

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 15 2010, 3:09pm

Post #8 of 13 (5468 views)
Shortcut
AKA "The Scarf of DOOM!" among knitters. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

dreamflower
Lorien

Jul 17 2010, 2:36am

Post #9 of 13 (6058 views)
Shortcut
Peregrin Took, youngest child of the Thain [In reply to] Can't Post

I started a Pippin-scarf a few years ago, using that pattern. Then in a move, misplaced it. I recently found it, and may try once more to finish it.

I love that Pippin's shirt is embroidered-- I think of it as an unspoken tribute to his status as the youngest child of the Thain, doted over by his mother and three older sisters. I do wonder why he doesn't have a waistcoat, like all the others. Perhaps a hint at his youth? He's the only one of the four who's not legally of age at the time of the Quest. I think sometimes these little canonical details neglected by the script are hinted at in some of the details of costuming or props.

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 19 2010, 9:02pm

Post #10 of 13 (5414 views)
Shortcut
I would assume then... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this would not be a good scarf to begin as a novice knitter. I just began knitting this year, and thought this one might be a good one to work on through the winter months. I guess it would be best to wait until I have more experience under my belt (or knitting hat Tongue) before beginning

"The Scarf of DOOM!!"

Love the name! But I will avoid starting on this one for a long while. Wink

I know your face...My eyes darken.
No. No. I'm going to save you.
You already did...[My daughter] My body is broken. You have to let me go. I go to my fathers, in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 20 2010, 4:45am

Post #11 of 13 (5417 views)
Shortcut
Not at all! If you start right now... [In reply to] Can't Post

you might get it finished in the next 5 years! ;) The Dr. Who scarf(s) is very simple technically, but is typically wider and from 12 to 20 feet long, depending on which season you prefer and the height of the intended wearer. It gets quite tedious after a while, they say. Pippin's scarf is much shorter, but requires a bit more experience for the best results. A Dr.Who scarf would give you lots of practice, and improve your gauge consistency...if you can stick with it long enough. =)

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jul 20 2010, 5:02pm

Post #12 of 13 (5414 views)
Shortcut
would love to see pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I started a Pippin-scarf a few years ago, using that pattern. Then in a move, misplaced it. I recently found it, and may try once more to finish it.

Good luck to you too,Analeewyn - knitting is way more fun sometimes to start than finish! Of course getting to wear your stuff is a lovely reward for your hard work! It took me years to get proficient enough to make things I could wear in public!

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Aug 7 2010, 8:29am

Post #13 of 13 (5419 views)
Shortcut
one reason the Scots wore kilts [In reply to] Can't Post

wet wool takes a lang, lang time to dry

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.