Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - July 10
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2010, 7:56pm

Post #51 of 75 (1186 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Quite a rundown! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to mention an eagle ride :) There again is the age-old question... why not just have the Eagles take you to the Mountain and over the woods? *sigh*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2010, 8:01pm

Post #52 of 75 (1189 views)
Shortcut
He was quick [In reply to] Can't Post

to be able to get back and forth like that! I think it was so he could keep checking all ways for any sign of danger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2010, 8:02pm

Post #53 of 75 (1226 views)
Shortcut
He seems like the kind [In reply to] Can't Post

of hobbit who, up to this point, would rather hear scary stories about the Old Forest, than actually venture into it!

But I wonder if his mother did...

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2010, 8:10pm

Post #54 of 75 (1356 views)
Shortcut
The lands of Men [In reply to] Can't Post

[Gandalf] was discussing plans with the Great Eagle for carrying the dwarves and himself and Bilbo far away and setting them down well on their journey across the plains below.

The Lord of the Eagles would not take them anywhere near where men lived. "They would shoot at us with their great bows of yew," he said, "for they would think we were after their sheep. And at other times they would be right. No! we are glad to cheat the goblins of their sport, and glad to repay our thanks to you, but we will not risk ourselves for dwarves in the southward plains."

It would seem that even Eagles have fears!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2010, 9:47am

Post #55 of 75 (1228 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 27, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Welcome to Mirkwood!
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."They walked in single file. The entrance to the path was like a sort of arch leading into a gloomy tunnel made by two great trees that leant together, too old and strangled with ivy and hung with lichen to bear more than a few blackened leaves. The path itself was narrow and wound in and out among the trunks. Soon the light at the gate was like a little bright hole far behind and the quiet was so deep that their feet seemed to thump along while all the trees leaned over them and listened.
...As their eyes became used to the dimness they could see a little way to either side in a sort of darkened green glimmer. Occasionally a slender beam of sun that had the luck to slip in through some opening in the leaves far above, and still more luck in not being caught in the tangled boughs and matted twigs beneath, stabbed down thin and bright before them. But this was seldom, and it soon ceased altogether.
...There were black squirrels in the wood. As Bilbo's sharp inquisitive eyes got used to seeing things he could catch glimpses of them whisking off the path and scuttling behind tree-trunks. There were queer noises too, grunts, scufflings, and hurryings in the undergrowth, and among the leaves that lay piled endlessly thick in places on the forest-floor; but what made the noises he could not see. The nastiest things they saw were the cobwebs: dark dense cobwebs with threads extraordinarily thick, often stretched from tree to tree, or tangled in the lower branches on either side of them. There were none stretched across the path, but whether because some magic kept it clear, or for what other reason they could not guess."

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2010, 11:40am

Post #56 of 75 (1292 views)
Shortcut
All that entrance to Mirkwood needs [In reply to] Can't Post

is a sign above it which reads "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here" - the personality of this path just "screams" that!

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 27 2010, 4:15pm

Post #57 of 75 (1188 views)
Shortcut
**shivers** [In reply to] Can't Post

As I neared the end of this post, while imagining the scene, I heard a very loud thunder clap, which made me jump and spill my morning tea (cold thankfully) all over me! Laugh Good thing it is morning here or I would have all the lights in the house on!

When I was twelve years-old, I came across The Hobbit in my elementary school library (not realizing until later that evening it was the same story as my Rankin/Bass read/play record I had gotten years ago one Christmas and still have to this day, which no one is allowed to touch!Evil). I opened the book to read a bit and see if I would enjoy it. I happened to open the book as they were entering Mirkwood and just couldn't put the book down for the rest of the day (well...maybe once when my teacher made meMad). I remember getting chills and goosebumps then, but I had no idea that it would be a story that would carry my interest for the next 25 years and counting!

Every time I read The Hobbit, it takes me back to when I was twelve, and I get lost in that world just the same.

Thanks grammaSmile, you've made me feel a bit younger today. Well...just until I look in the mirror again Unsure.

fence_horse Pictures, Images and Photos

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2010, 4:39pm

Post #58 of 75 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Rightfully so! [In reply to] Can't Post

On both parts ;) Eagles like mutton, and men shoot at everything!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2010, 4:42pm

Post #59 of 75 (1226 views)
Shortcut
That's an awesome story!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it funny how something will put us right back into a time and a feeling that happened so long ago!? Bummer on your tea spillage :( But GREAT on how you've gone right back to that library and opened that book! I do the same thing... still :D

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 28 2010, 9:30am

Post #60 of 75 (1197 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 28, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Mirkwood.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."It was not long before they grew to hate the forest as heartily as they had hated the tunnels of the goblins, and it seemed to offer even less hope of any ending. But they had to go on and on, long after they were sick for a sight of the sun and of the sky, and longed for the feel of wind on their faces. There was no movement of air down under the forest-roof, and it was everlastingly still and dark and stuffy. Even the dwarves felt it, who were used to tunnelling, and lived at times for long whiles without the sight of the sun; but the hobbit, who liked holes to make a house in but not to spend summer days in, felt he was being slowly suffocated."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2010, 10:37am

Post #61 of 75 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Now that is "getting into the story"! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are most fortunate that a spider didn't crawl across your desk...! Shocked

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2010, 10:41am

Post #62 of 75 (1247 views)
Shortcut
When you think of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there's not too much difference between Mirkwood under Sauron, and Torech Ungol...

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 29 2010, 1:35am

Post #63 of 75 (1197 views)
Shortcut
My dear young lady! [In reply to] Can't Post

And i am not stretching it either:). No matter how many ''segments of time' you are, you are that many young. We can dwell in the essence of youth all of our lives and it is the 'home fires' of the spirit that account for live/living. Look into the mirror and see the sparkle of your eyes. Nothing else matters.

Off i go now on my tricycle for i have a rendezvous with the wonder and magic of the wooded path out my back doorWink. Perhaps i will get a glimpse of a hart.

sample
''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 29 2010, 5:30am

Post #64 of 75 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Rim hennaid! [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter how many ''segments of time' you are, you are that many young.

What a beautiful way to think of living. Not only did I see a "sparkle", I actually saw a smile Smile.

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë, silneldor!
(May you have a lovely day, silneldor!)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2010, 10:50am

Post #65 of 75 (1198 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 29-August 15, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Mirkwood watches the newcomers.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth
..."The nights were the worst. It then became pitch-dark—not what you call pitch-dark, but really pitch; so black that you really could see nothing. Bilbo tried flapping his hand in front of his nose, but he could not see it at all.... ...They slept all closely huddled together, and took it in turns to watch; and when it was Bilbo's turn he would see gleams in the darkness round them, and sometimes pairs of yellow or red or green eyes would stare at him from a little distance, and then slowly fade and disappear and slowly shine out again in another place. And sometimes they would gleam down from the branches just above him; and that was most terrifying. But the eyes that he liked the least were horrible pale bulbous sort of eyes. "Insect eyes" he thought, "not animal eyes, only they are much too big."
...Although it was not yet very cold, they tried lighting watch-fires at night, but they soon gave that up. It seemed to bring hundreds and hundreds of eyes all round them, though the creatures, whatever they were, were careful never to let their bodies show in the little flicker of the flames."

July 29, 1954
1. The Fellowship of the Ring published.
...The first of 3 volumes of The Lord of the Rings was published in the United Kingdom. This volume contains the first 2 of Tolkien's 6 "books" of his epic tale. This volume introduces us to a history of Middle-earth, the main characters, the tale of the Ring of Sauron, the creation of the Fellowship, and the launch of the Quest to destroy the Ring.

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2010, 11:21am

Post #66 of 75 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Which is worse, I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Eye, or all these little "eyes"? Fortunately the elf-"magic" was keeping theses creatures off the path!

But what a set-up for sleeping: a narrow track, which they dare not leave to set up a proper camping-area! I wonder if the track was wide enough for them to sleep side-ways on it, or were they all scrunched up lengthwise? And 13 of them - when you think about it, that's a lot of bodies to accomodate, in such a narrow space!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2010, 8:56am

Post #67 of 75 (1160 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of how it could have been worse before they even reached Mirkwood! Bilbo, I'm sure, recalled another warning that Beorn had given them before they left... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Queer Lodgings: The Hobbit

... "The goblins," Beorn had said, "will not dare to cross the Great River for a hundred miles north of the Carrock nor to come near my house—it is well protected at night!—but I should ride fast; for if they make their raid soon they will cross the river to the south and scour all the edge of the forest so as to cut you off, and Wargs run swifter than ponies. Still you are safer going north, even though you seem to be going back nearer to their strongholds; for that is what they will least expect, and they will have the longer ride to catch you...!"... That is why they were now riding in silence, galloping wherever the ground was grassy and smooth, with the mountains dark on their left, and in the distance the line of the river with its trees drawing ever closer. The sun had only just turned west when they started, and till evening it lay golden on the land... ...It was difficult to think of pursuing goblins behind, and when they had put many miles between them and Beorn's house they began to talk and to sing again and to forget the dark forest-path that lay in front. But in the evening when the dusk came on and the peaks of the mountains glowered against the sunset they made a camp and set a guard, and most of them slept uneasily with dreams in which there came the howl of hunting wolves and the cries of goblins."

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2010, 9:05am

Post #68 of 75 (1189 views)
Shortcut
I've wondered the [In reply to] Can't Post

same thing! If laying like sausages on a tray, I'd hate to be the ones on either end... except the watchout would probably sit at one end... a perfect target! I've also wondered if the dwarves had ever huddled like that before? Dark tunnels don't supposedly bother them, but this pitch black laced with eyes does! I'll bet Gandalf knew about this, but didn't warn them... just stressing not to leave the path.

Those bulbous eyes might have been spider scouts, methinks.

Elf "magic"... powerful stuff!!!

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2010, 11:32am

Post #69 of 75 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Danger ahead, danger behind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and their only safeguard is the "magic" of the protections others have set up for themselves: Beorn's small "realm", and the Wood-elves path.

And they need to get from one to the other as quickly as possible.

Even with Beorn tracking them, still, a host of goblins and wargs is not an easy thing to deal with...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2010, 4:45pm

Post #70 of 75 (1161 views)
Shortcut
If it hadn't been [In reply to] Can't Post

for those "magical" places, our Company would have disappeared a LONG time ago :)

sample sample

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 30 2010, 8:08pm

Post #71 of 75 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Interesting thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also wondered if the dwarves had ever huddled like that before?

I should think this was not in the nature of dwarves. I am sure those taking this journey were among the most proud and serious of dwarves. When I imagine them huddling together like that, I don't think I can begin to grasp the true fear they were feeling. Hearing strange noises, seeing movement out of the corners of their eyes, and the smell of this forest had to be unbearable at times. I guess Tolkien was thinking of his War experiences here. Brave warriors huddled in unfamiliar territory hearing strange sounds in the dark all around. Having no way to be certain if the sounds were of the approaching enemy or if their ears were just exaggerating the sounds of their heart beats. Even a pin drop in darkness can sound like a tree falling when fear starts taking over.

If Gandalf would have told them of the true dangers in there, I wonder if they would have gone in with a different mindset. Been ever more cautious, ran through quicker, or tried to be more stealth (if that were at all possible with the footsteps of dwarves).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 31 2010, 10:34am

Post #72 of 75 (1152 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that tells a bit of Amon Sul's story... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From APPENDIX A: ANNALS OF THE KINGS AND RULERS I: THE NÚMENOREAN KINGS (iii): ERIADOR, ARNOR, AND THE HEIRS OF ISILDUR: The Return of the King

..."'It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. [The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.]'
... In the days of Argeleb son of Malvegil, since no descendants of Isildur remained in the other kingdoms, the kings of Arthedain again claimed the lordship of all Arnor. The claim was resisted by Rhudaur. There the Dúnedain were few, and power had been seized by an evil lord of the Hill-men, who was in secret league with Angmar. Argeleb therefore fortified the Weather Hills; but he was slain in battle with Rhudaur and Angmar.
... Arveleg son of Argeleb, with the help of Cardolan and Lindon, drove back his enemies from the Hills; and for many years Arthedain and Cardolan held in force a frontier along the Weather Hills, the Great Road, and the lower Hoarwell. It is said that at this time Rivendell was besieged.
... A great host came out of Angmar in 1409, and crossing the river entered Cardolan and surrounded Weathertop. The Dúnedain were defeated and Arveleg was slain. The Tower of Amon Sûl was burned and razed; but the palantír was saved and carried back in retreat to Fornost, Rhudaur was occupied by evil Men subject to Angmar, and the Dúnedain that remained there were slain or fled west Cardolan was ravaged. Araphor son of Arveleg was not yet full-grown, but he was valiant, and with aid from Círdan he repelled the enemy from Fornost and the North Downs. A remnant of the faithful among the Dúnedain of Cardolan also held out in Tyrn Gorthad (the Barrowdowns), or took refuge in the Forest behind.'"

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 31 2010, 10:55am

Post #73 of 75 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Maybe because [In reply to] Can't Post

they were in the woods and not in stone caverns? It could be that the type of environment was what threw them off and not the intense darkness. Bilbo feels the same fear, but seems to handle the drama better... more resilient... whether it's the wood or tunnels (as proven very recently ;).

sample sample

Analeewyn
Lorien

Jul 31 2010, 3:01pm

Post #74 of 75 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Ya know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel sorry for the dwarves somewhat here and excited for Bilbo at the same time. He certainly proved himself in Mirkwood I think! My husband laughed at me the other day reading this book because I sort of burned his supper a bit. Got a little to lost in Middle Earth. Thank goodness he doesn't mind VERY well done steak! lol

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2010, 4:36pm

Post #75 of 75 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

That story belongs in a "You Know You're A Geek When..." thread! Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.