Denver mini-moot!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 2 2007, 3:24pm

Post #1 of 28 (949 views)
Shortcut
Denver mini-moot! Can't Post

I'm sitting in the Altairas house with Altaira, Mr. Altaira, and L.Ron, drinking coffee and looking out the window to a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning. greendragon is here, too and later today we're meeting up with Rosie Lass, Aunt Dora and Inferno. We're having a marvelous time in the Denver area. Pictures to come later!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jun 2 2007, 4:52pm

Post #2 of 28 (754 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

A few months back, someone had mentioned there's a place in the mountains near Denver where people could rent cottages. As Worldcon is going to be in Denver from 8/6-8/10 next summer, has anyone looked into finding out what the price of the cottages would be, from 8/12-8/15 of next year?

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 3 2007, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 28 (894 views)
Shortcut
My pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are my photos. Mini-moot photos

I sure had a great time! Altaira and BG led us on a walk that I'd never taken before, up in the foothills above Boulder. There's always something new to discover in the mountains of Colorado! And it was wonderful to meet TORnsibs I hadn't met before, as well as see some old friends again.

I had to leave early to go to a farewell party for a folk dance friend. Here's a photo of me leading a Bulgarian dance called Dobrudjanska Bruinek, and here we are doing an Armenian dance whose name I can't spell. The woman next to me in the first photo is the one who is leaving for the "wilds of Michigan". People gave her a midwestern survival kit, with a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of green beans, some velveeta cheese, and other covered-dish fixin's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Morwen
Rohan

Jun 3 2007, 11:54pm

Post #4 of 28 (718 views)
Shortcut
Moot pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Colorado scenery is beautiful, but it was even more fun figuring out which Tornsib was which (I do recognize a couple of you). The important thing is that all of you seem to be having plenty of fun.

Thanks, Aunt Dora.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore,
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 4 2007, 12:28am

Post #5 of 28 (712 views)
Shortcut
Hey, it looks like you guys are having too much fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

I believe this is what we all need, seeing a bunch of sibs getting together for some bonding and good times. I think it just makes everybody grinLaugh. I think we need more of this kind of thing.

I am glad you all had a good time and thanks Aunt Dora for all the lovely pictures.

The weather looks just great for out and about there in the mountains (which are wonderful to see).

Now all we need is a few words as to what else happened * subtle hint*.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of Rivendell to warm the home

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 4 2007, 1:26am

Post #6 of 28 (721 views)
Shortcut
Love these! [In reply to] Can't Post

What fun - taking over Altaira and BG's house, and enjoying the wonderful Colorado scenery! (Yes, I'm a bit jealous! Evil)

Questions...questions that need answering...

Such as, whose are those cute kids? What's that say, on your T-shirt? Where did you take that "Train" sign? And where's that "road" you all walked on?

(And who is who, for the benefit of those who'd like to put names to faces!)

Thank you for posting these, Aunt Dora! (Hey, next time you're at a moot, see if they'll let you lead them all in some kind of TORn-folk dance!)

(And the woman leaving for the "wilds of Michigan"? LOL - I understand the "cultural significance" of her survival kit! I wonder if she'll come across a certain "gramma" out there... Laugh)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"History often resembles "Myth", because they are both ultimately of the same stuff."

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 4 2007, 1:46am

Post #7 of 28 (773 views)
Shortcut
Answers.. answers that need questioning. OK, maybe not. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Questions...questions that need answering...

Such as, whose are those cute kids? What's that say, on your T-shirt? Where did you take that "Train" sign? And where's that "road" you all walked on?

(And who is who, for the benefit of those who'd like to put names to faces!)

The kids are Altaira's niece and nephew. The picture with them (DSC05115) also has her brother and sister-in-law standing behind the kids. Rosielass is standing on the right in that photo. If you look at the group shot down at the bottom (DSC05078) from left to right, there's me, greendragon, L. Ron Halfelven, Aunt Dora, Entmaiden, Altaira and BG (mr. Altaira). The red-haired guy with the goatee in a couple of the shots is Bob, a friend of mine who lives in Denver as well, and who got drug along to the moot.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Jun 4 2007, 1:55am

Post #8 of 28 (737 views)
Shortcut
Great pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

L.Ron, altaira, BG and i just really enjoyed looking at those - although we were all a little dismayed that there were so many pics of our respective butts!! Next time, we make you walk in front! Laugh Glad the evening event went well- although sorry you had to leave us early!

For those who want some more info, L.Ron and I (well, so far just L.Ron as I haven't posted) are bloggin our Colorado trip on the blog we used last year for our NZ trip -
endorenna.blogspot.com

So, more info and pics to follow at that blog! Inferno and entmaiden, hope you both completed your journeys safely today! *waves*

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 4 2007, 3:28am

Post #9 of 28 (713 views)
Shortcut
Waves from Charlotte [In reply to] Can't Post

I made it to my next destination, although just barely. Had a wonderful time, as usual when TORNadoes get together. I'll post further thoughts in the blog - maybe tomorrow night.

Did you watch the video? Travel safe!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 4 2007, 3:43am

Post #10 of 28 (759 views)
Shortcut
I *see* you. [In reply to] Can't Post

What great pics! There's nothing like a moot of TORNadoes, is there? Glad you all had a great time!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jun 4 2007, 3:44am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 4 2007, 2:20pm

Post #11 of 28 (731 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about all the butts. [In reply to] Can't Post

As Entmaiden would say, "I ---- at taking pictures." :-)

I felt guilty yesterday when Uncle Baggins and I went to see a garden railroad in Denver that was having an open house. L.Ron would have loved it, but I didn't find out in time to let him know about it.

And sorry not to label the pictures; Uncle Baggins was breathing down my neck to get going to see that railroad. Thanks to Inferno for putting names to the faces.

I'm enjoying the blog, and will look forward to your entries!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 4 2007, 2:26pm

Post #12 of 28 (728 views)
Shortcut
A few answers. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of your questions have been answered already, but here are a few more answers.

The sign was at the Dark Horse, where we had lunch. It was a funky 70s-style student eatery, with lots of fun stuff on the walls. Luckily BG warned us about the bathrooms: the men's had a sign on it saying "Women", and a hand pointing to the other door, and vice versa.

We walked on two trails: one was a nature walk at NCAR: the National Center for Atmospheric Research. My brother-in-law is a scientist there, but he was sensibly home, since it was Saturday. That was the one in the foothills. There were trail signs explaining weather stuff. The other is a park called Chataqua, at the foot of the mountains. The skunk was stuffed. The only real wildlife we saw were deer, prairie dogs, and a hawk.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 4 2007, 7:39pm

Post #13 of 28 (711 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and the T-shirt [In reply to] Can't Post

is from Goblin Valley, Utah, and says "Have you seen the goblins?"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 4 2007, 8:16pm

Post #14 of 28 (722 views)
Shortcut
Here's a place I was thinking of: [In reply to] Can't Post

YMCA of the Rockies

It's not really very close to Denver, though, about an hour and a half north-west. The website says they have another place in Winter Park, which would probably be about the same distance due west. The reason I mentioned the one in Estes is that some folks had expressed a wish to go hiking with me, and that's near my usual stomping grounds for hiking.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5 2007, 12:03am

Post #15 of 28 (701 views)
Shortcut
The who's who [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! That explains why I didn't recognize some folks Laugh!

"History often resembles "Myth", because they are both ultimately of the same stuff."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5 2007, 12:10am

Post #16 of 28 (729 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

that the skunk was stuffed!

That's funny, about those bathrooms - whoever runs that place definitely has a sense of humor.

Such a contrast - the beauty of the Rockies, then seeing the ruggedness of Goblin Valley in those pics. That area of this country is just incredible.

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 5 2007, 3:12am

Post #17 of 28 (709 views)
Shortcut
We absolutely loved seeing everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great weekend it was! We absolutely loved seeing an entertaining the wonderful TORnsibs who were able to make the event. Smile Huge hugs to all of you!

As L. Ron and gd will probably soon post on their blog, after the Long Expected Mini-Party (L.E.M.P. for short Laugh ), we drove to Denver on Sunday with L. Ron and gd for a tour of the Mile-high city, then out to Red Rocks Park and amphitheater, then to "Dinosaur Ridge," right across the Hwy from Red Rocks. As a kid, I remember only those 'in the know' knew if you drove up this innocuous looking road, treasures were to be found. Thanks to cutting out the road, dinosaur footprints and tidal pool 'ripples' in the rock made millions of years ago can easily be seen.

Later that night we watched the newly released "Gamerz," a Scottish movie (a gd discovery) about D&D geeks. It was campy and cute, despite the heavy accents (that I thankfully got mostly used to as there were no sub-titles).

I'll leave piccies up to L. Ron and gd, and am anxiously awaiting the next entry in their blog! HeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 5 2007, 3:18am

Post #18 of 28 (696 views)
Shortcut
I wore my koru today [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think someone recognized it for what it was. One of the people I'm working with this week is British (hmmm, I wonder if greendragon knows her? Wink) and I could tell my koru had caught her eye.

I absolutely love it! Huge hugs, my friend. Thanks to you and your wonderful husband for hosting all of us.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 5 2007, 3:22am

Post #19 of 28 (705 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just be sure to triple-tie those knots. Lol! LaughWink

*hugs back*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Patty
Immortal

Jun 8 2007, 9:21pm

Post #20 of 28 (812 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm just a bitter old woman who is flat out jealous! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing I like better than a moot with TORNsibs. So glad you enjoyed yourselves, and that you folks thought enough of us to post pictures.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 17 2007, 9:43pm

Post #21 of 28 (667 views)
Shortcut
If nothing else [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely several of us could get together for lunch or something during the Worldcon?

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Jun 18 2007, 8:53pm

Post #22 of 28 (661 views)
Shortcut
For sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lunch or dinner definitely.

I like to try to visit places I don't normally see when I'm at Worldcon. I love visiting the
mountains, and haven't had the chance to stay 8,000 feet up. I think I'd like that.

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jun 20 2007, 3:38am

Post #23 of 28 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm totally jealous, but that's okay. Your pics are great! All the laptops crack me up. I noticed TORn on there, too. Thank you so much for sharing and thanks to inferno (I think that's who it was - I'll have to double-check later) for giving us the lowdown on who's who. Looks like you all had a wonderful time. I rarely pop in on the "moot" board, but it looks like I'll have to check in more often or I'll miss out.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Tyler
Lorien

Jul 2 2007, 11:34am

Post #24 of 28 (582 views)
Shortcut
Wow nice pictures. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am no good at taking pictures buy you guys did good.

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 3 2007, 7:58pm

Post #25 of 28 (584 views)
Shortcut
I've been enjoying your blog a lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't comment there because I'm not sure how, but I have been reading and enjoying it. I'm so glad you got to see a moose. Sorry it was such crummy weather on Trail Ridge, and that L.Ron didn't get to ride the steam train. But it looks like you did some great stuff. I took Celandine Goodbody on that Pikes Peak train when she came out to visit. She was fresh from sea level; that night she went online and looked up "altitude sickness"; she found it very interesting.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.