Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
McKellen Talks Hobbit in NZ
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 3 2010, 8:45am

Post #1 of 81 (3200 views)
Shortcut
McKellen Talks Hobbit in NZ Can't Post

Arch Nemesis writes: Sir Ian talks a bit about The Hobbit in this clip from TVNewZealand. He expects an announcement imminently, but states if it doesn't happen soon - he may not do the film as he has other things planned.

From TVNewZealand: Sarah caught up with veteran actor Sir Ian McKellen when he was in New Zealand starring as Estragon in Waiting for Gordot.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 3 2010, 3:59pm

Post #2 of 81 (1985 views)
Shortcut
To lose the director may be regarded as a misfortune... [In reply to] Can't Post

to possibly lose Gandalf looks like carelessness.

Come on, MGM-- find a way to make The Hobbit happen, cause Gandalf isn't just sitting around waiting to be called, ya know.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

smokerings
Rivendell

Jul 3 2010, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 81 (1835 views)
Shortcut
oh wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty eye opening comments in that video....scary comments. Sounds like there is an answer soon (good or bad) - immanently soon.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2010, 4:27pm

Post #4 of 81 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Well, I can't say I blame him [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a busy, much sought-after actor, and he can't be turning down work just waiting for this to happen.

I will be gutted if they do lose him though. To me, he IS Gandalf, and the films would suffer without him.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jul 3 2010, 5:00pm

Post #5 of 81 (1817 views)
Shortcut
Well put. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to possibly lose Gandalf looks like carelessness.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 3 2010, 5:01pm

Post #6 of 81 (1939 views)
Shortcut
I kinda feel sick :/ [In reply to] Can't Post

But here's hoping!!Evil

Patty
Immortal

Jul 3 2010, 5:13pm

Post #7 of 81 (1913 views)
Shortcut
Yes. He IS Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

They would be crazy to risk his moving on, and yes, he is a busy, wonderful, much sought- after actor.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 3 2010, 5:15pm

Post #8 of 81 (1821 views)
Shortcut
I'll bet Oscar Wilde would be amused to hear that his words [In reply to] Can't Post

would be paraphrased for The Hobbit!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 3 2010, 5:29pm

Post #9 of 81 (1929 views)
Shortcut
That's an eye-opener and no mistake! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2010, 5:45pm

Post #10 of 81 (1976 views)
Shortcut
If these delays [In reply to] Can't Post

Cost us McKellen, that may be the last straw.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 3 2010, 5:49pm

Post #11 of 81 (1827 views)
Shortcut
Can't see the *&*)*&^$ Video where I am. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds important though. If it is what I think it is the process is going as I anticipated.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2010, 6:05pm

Post #12 of 81 (1854 views)
Shortcut
I have to say [In reply to] Can't Post

McKellen looks fantastic for his age. With the exception of the whitened hair, his face looks near identical to what it did a decade ago. And he has such energy and vigor. You've got to admire that.

The same with GDT, I harbor no hard feelings for McKellen if he has to depart the project - as detrimental as that would certainly be. His portrayal of Gandalf the Grey was easily my favorite aspect of the trilogy as a whole. But a talent like that can't just sit idle for an extended period of time. He's done plenty of waiting, and he's not even officially signed onto the project.

I wish Godot were coming to a theatre near me. Sure would love to see it.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2010, 6:17pm

Post #13 of 81 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Don't know if Ian would REALLY turn down the chance to play Gandalf again... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's probably just getting frustrated, as is everyone else. I mean, he's not attached to any other films for which he'd have to clear a significant portion of his schedule, so it'd just be a matter of arranging a break from his on-stage work.

In any case, they can't make The Hobbit without Sir Ian. In my, and probably most people's minds, Ian McKellan IS Gandalf, and Gandalf means him!

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER AND...WHOEVER!!!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2010, 6:38pm

Post #14 of 81 (1933 views)
Shortcut
Well, in some strange way, I'm glad it's come to this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I've begun to believe if it's meant to happen it will, if not, it won't. And I'd personally like to know for sure once and for all rather than sit around setting up an expectation for something that's not going to happen.

If Sir Ian does really walk away from Gandalf, I'd rather they reboot the franchise, as in, cast all entirely new actors and probably do it with a new director instead of have this weird pseudo LOTR-like film with some overlapping actors and a director trying to make it look like LOTR, and yet try and be different. But in all honestly, rebooting the franchise is not something I see happening anytime soon, and I don't want to see it happen anyway.

It's a sad situation, to say the least, and I hope what I said above does not come to pass. But it has come to the point nonetheless. And I do believe (as do many others now) that the next few weeks will either make or break The Hobbit Frown

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 3 2010, 7:35pm

Post #15 of 81 (1851 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... all this uncertainty does no one any good.

It sounds as if they've reached some sort of crisis point. For however long it takes, I shall just cross fingers and keep hoping. And who knows - hearing everyone's ideal Gandalf set a limit on his commitment might just pile enough extra pressure onto MGM to make the breakthrough...

*Crosses fingers and holds breath*

Vangalad
Lorien

Jul 3 2010, 11:09pm

Post #16 of 81 (1753 views)
Shortcut
It seems that [In reply to] Can't Post

producer,actors,crew, all who really want the hobbit movies to be made,are pushing for a solution from mgm so that they can move forward with the project otherwise they will let it rest in peace...Either way,this conflict should end soon.Let's hope for the best.

merlwynd
Rivendell

Jul 3 2010, 11:37pm

Post #17 of 81 (1680 views)
Shortcut
twould be dissapointing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

to say the very least!Unsure

MERLWYND

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jul 4 2010, 12:19am

Post #18 of 81 (1733 views)
Shortcut
what to do with the time that is given him..... [In reply to] Can't Post

oh god......not this....Ian is Gandalf.....but what does he do, what do they all do, with this situation?? I am pained, though just a fan....but he must decide, as everyone must.....I wish we could raise an army of the Dead and march on MGM and Warner and sort this whole thing out tonight.....what say you?????

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2010, 12:55am

Post #19 of 81 (1664 views)
Shortcut
I say [In reply to] Can't Post

- an army of the dead won't help you!

Wink

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 4 2010, 12:57am

Post #20 of 81 (1782 views)
Shortcut
I think the Army of the Dead is running MGM.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 4 2010, 3:20am

Post #21 of 81 (1949 views)
Shortcut
Living Dead, maybe...starving zombies without even one brain to share amongst 'em? // [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 4 2010, 8:19am

Post #22 of 81 (1618 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

- that they let it rest in peace (and leave Tolkien's story as it is). That would be the best outcome, as far as I'm concerned.

On another note - MGM run by brain- eating zombies? I dunno; never met them. But, as they're doing their best to scupper these benighted movies, good luck to 'em, I say.

Scupper!

Wink

Bond-Of-Blood
Rivendell

Jul 4 2010, 8:55am

Post #23 of 81 (1725 views)
Shortcut
anyone else finding these "scupper" posts annoying? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- that they let it rest in peace (and leave Tolkien's story as it is). That would be the best outcome, as far as I'm concerned.

On another note - MGM run by brain- eating zombies? I dunno; never met them. But, as they're doing their best to scupper these benighted movies, good luck to 'em, I say.

Scupper!

Wink

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 4 2010, 9:09am

Post #24 of 81 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do! A lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's almost like having carrion fowl circling a field of battle eagerly waiting to pick on the pieces of the soon-to-be hapless.

However, I'm ignoring these posts in the interest of supporting TORn's "everyone here has a right to express their views" attitude.

So lighten up BoB (fyi, this coming from someone who needs lightening up himself). I like surrounding myself with people who have a generally positive attitude (I don't mind the occasional faltering now and then... it is only human nature), and I see you as one of these people here on TORn, especially because you've "been there" (if you get my meaning Wink) and because you're still keeping up the faith.

Cheers! Know there's goodness out there even if you don't see it Smile

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 4 2010, 9:14am

Post #25 of 81 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Yes but [In reply to] Can't Post

One has the right to express their opinion no matter how unpopular it is in the context. But it is a bit like visiting a seriously ill person hospital and wishing out loud that the patient would die just to get a rise out of the others gathered there.

Kangi Ska

Photobucket

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.