Oh dear, I'm so dense:
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2010, 4:16am

Post #26 of 31 (445 views)
Shortcut
Is there a reason you're not using Advanced Editor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Knowing the code is good, but in Advanced Editor, you don't need to know the code.

I gather my url that I want to send someone too (copy it)

I type the text I want to show like
test 2

Then I highlight 'test 2' with my cursor.

Then I click the link icon in the Advanced Editor tool bar.

Then I paste the url into the pop up field, making sure I first erase the http:// that is showing in the field.

Then I click submit
test 2
I know not everyone is using Advanced Editor but I'm not aware of any reason, off the bat, that would keep you from using it. Just curious.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 2 2010, 8:09am

Post #27 of 31 (462 views)
Shortcut
I think I accidentally did what you said... [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to switch to basic editor when I did the coding thing dernywn said to do...I never use anything other than advanced, so I naturally just began to work in that format.

When my coding attempt did not work, I tried to go back into basic to fix things, but I saw so much code info I couldn't figure out what was the part I needed to fix..!.

So I went back to advanced, and then just highlighted Test 2 and put that into the link box...and then deleted other stuff...and then it worked somehow...

The way I've been doing links up until now is to follow the process you laid out, which I did by accident one time, and when it worked I just did it over and over again but could never figure out how to add the name I wanted..

What I was doing was to cut and paste the url I wanted into a message, to highlight the whole thing, then go to the link box, delete the http stuff there, and then paste the whole url in.

I just didn't know how to use that process to add a name.! I did not know the bit about just typing it somewhere in your post and highlighting it!

But in truth, I was actually doing that... I had just highlighted the entire code, so that was what my code got named. I thought I was pasting code in, since that was what I saw, but what I was really doing was naming my code with the code itself.

(I must be tired because that explanation actually makes sense to me....)

So, I will try now to type and highlight something other than the code just like you said....

test 3

Man that was surprisingly easy! But this sort of seems like elf magic to me -- how the heck does highlighting some words do that? It seems like waving a wand to me -- like sprinkling the magic highlight dust on something, to make it appear...!

Weaver

(This post was edited by weaver on Jul 2 2010, 8:13am)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 2 2010, 12:25pm

Post #28 of 31 (732 views)
Shortcut
"I do not clearly understand what you mean by that..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I understand perfectly, but Galadriel's line was too fun to pass up for a header here.

In the simplest terms, when you highlight something, that is computer code that makes it do that (when you look at html or any other code, anything that makes text look anywhere different is, itself, code) So when you highlight and then have that dialogue box it has code in it to "look for" the coding sequence that is highlighting and use what is within the brackets of the highlighting code to use within ITS brackets which become link-code. The dialogue box is a 'search' function for the link code and highlighting tells it what it's searching for.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2010, 6:26pm

Post #29 of 31 (409 views)
Shortcut
I don't want to see no more magic... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't understand it, but thanks!

I think I'll just head back to the Shire now...

Weaver

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jul 3 2010, 6:42pm

Post #30 of 31 (416 views)
Shortcut
Sorry 'bout that, Sam! [In reply to] Can't Post

I said: "In the simplest terms, when you highlight something, that is computer code that makes it do that (when you look at html or any other code, anything that makes text look anywhere different is, itself, code) So when you highlight and then have that dialogue box it has code in it to "look for" the coding sequence that is highlighting and use what is within the brackets of the highlighting code to use within ITS brackets which become link-code. The dialogue box is a 'search' function for the link code and highlighting tells it what it's searching for."

But I was wrong about "simplest terms". Crazy Sorry 'bout that, Chief! Tongue

Not to worry. I’ll not leave you to wander in the Wilds all the way back to the Shire guideless.

You highlight something for the computer. You see it as text that stands out. What the computer sees is: [code that makes text highlight] text [code that STOPS text from being highlighted]. Of course, the code the computer sees is invisible to you (hence, “magic”)

The dialogue box also has “hidden code” in it. What that code does is to look for exactly the code that highlights text and no other code at all. When it finds that it pays attention to whatever is “between the boxes” or text that is highlighted. When it finds that text (in the above example, “text”) it takes that and puts it in the dialogue box’s code which instead of “highlight” has “link” code in it.

So instead of [hightlight text] text [don’t highlight text] the software now has [make a hyperlink] text [ don’t make a hyperlink]

It’s taken what you put in an easy, keyboard-related thing and moved it to a slightly harder “connect this to something over here” thing.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2010, 8:39pm

Post #31 of 31 (1162 views)
Shortcut
oh, it wasn't the way you explained it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was my ability to comprehend it! Thanks for trying again, though!

I had a computer programming class way back when and really struggled with it -- over time, I've come to realize it's because my brain does not work sequentially. As in, give me five pieces of paper to put in five envelopes and I'll get to the end and have two sheets left and have to open up the five envelopes and do it again and then I'll have three pieces of paper and four envelopes, and have to start over and...

You see the problem? Being consistent, and being able to keep track of things in a particular order is incredibly hard for me. One time, I was wrapping presents and lost the tape. So I grabbed another roll. Later, when my friends were opening their packages, one of them found a role of tape inside of theirs...that's the sort of thing that happens to me all the time. I'm consistently inconsistent!

Weaver

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.