Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
What games have you been playing: Summer edition
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 28 2010, 6:13am

Post #1 of 26 (1008 views)
Shortcut
What games have you been playing: Summer edition Can't Post

For some of us, now that the kids are off school, it may be harder to get some good alone time with a favourite console or PC game. On the other hand, it's the perfect time to pull out board games, especially if the power gets knocked out by the crazy weather lately.

What games have you been playing or do you intend to play this season? Here are some that have been keeping us busy:

Assassin's Creed 2 (2009 XBox 360)
The history, the mystery, and the art of Renaissance Italy make for a heady experience in this sandbox game from UbiSoft Montreal. I love the context driven interface (buttons have multiple functions based on the most appropriate action in various situations) and the Da Vinci Code undercurrent in the story and tasks you must complete. The game features the best hybrid style cut scenes (parts where the story takes over as a video but where you can still control your avatar) I've seen yet. Those who have played ROTK (PS2) saw a bit of this in the opening of the Helm's Deep level where you gradually take over all of Gandalf's functions at the end of the intro scene; the technique was also used in Halo 3 here and there.

Stronghold 2 (2005, PC)
I've finally got the hang of setting up an efficient economy and defences before being overrun... liberal use of the pause button is key. This game is fun and engrossing. Yes it is difficult not to exploit the automatomic behaviour of enemy forces by massing archers where you know attacks will come from. Still, there is something inherently pleasing about draining your opponent by wiping out their attempts to harass you, while all the while building a force that will overwhelm them (with units to spare) when it is time to attack their stronghold.

LOTR Risk Trilogy Edition
Did you know it's possible to block the entire northern approach to Mirkwood and Rhun by occupying Forodwaith? There are some interesting choke-points to build your strategy around in this very different version of the classic game. Try playing with a 12 unit maximum per territory to avoid the anticlimactic steamroller match the game can turn into after several sets have been turned in.

HeroScape
Just finished a short four player round of this mostly ready-made table top miniature game. The entire middle ground was swamp land so ranger units dominated the game (as it should be). Trying to make the most of the wildly varied strengths and weaknesses of your army is a challenge all on its own.

This just in:
Fans of the Total War series of PC games will be pleased to learn that Creative Assembly has at long last decided to revisit Shogun:Total War (the game that started it all); Shogun II: Total War has been announced as their next release! Time to seriously consider getting that gaming computer I've been drooling over. And hey, that will be one less reason not to give LOTRO a whirl...

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jun 28 2010, 6:17am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 28 2010, 4:53pm

Post #2 of 26 (709 views)
Shortcut
A ton... [In reply to] Can't Post

of LOTRO....it has been keeping me busy when I have the time.

NHL 10 - I've been playing a lot of the 'my pro' stage and not much else in this game. Trying to get him to the team captain stage.

FIFA 10 - I'm not playing the World Cup in this game, as its better for playing at the club stage level. And am playing the 'my pro' option in this game as well. I really like that option.

Madden 10 - I'm ramping up action in this game as well, with the NFL getting ready for another season, I'm getting back into this game.

Tiger Woods 2009 - The Masters and U.S. Open always gets my golfing blood going. I was out golfing last weekend and have been playing this game again as well. The British Open will be great, and I'll be playing this game whenever there isn't golf on tv, or I'm not at the range or on the course myself!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 28 2010, 5:12pm

Post #3 of 26 (704 views)
Shortcut
LOTRO, Settlers of Catan, EA Active, and... bean-bag toss. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTRO
Never ceases to please. Last night my kinship ran into Sammoth Gul where I won a Symbol of Celebrimbor which, for all you LOTRO-geeks out there, is currently selling on Nimrodel server for 80-120 gold. For everyone else, I've been playing the game casually to fairly frequently for over three years. If I sold that symbol, I'd effectively double my in-game liquid assets.

Settlers of Catan
What a riot! A buddy of mine picked up a copy on eBay, and we spent the three hours prior to his wedding playing with the other groomsmen. I haven't yet dabbled in the expansion sets, which I hear there are many, but it sure sounds fun to play with more than 4 people. Anybody played this one?? Highly recommended.

EA Active
An upgrade to Wii Fit. It makes for some good workouts, although I look ridiculous when running in place.

Bean Bag Toss
Summertime, baby.

-LA

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 28 2010, 5:21pm

Post #4 of 26 (685 views)
Shortcut
PS... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love LOTR Risk, Sir D. It's fantastic. I'll use your tip, too.

Has Shogun II been reviewed, or just announced at this point? If it makes you feel any better, all the cool kids are buying gaming PCs for their post-Father's Day presents to themselves. When it happens (and it will happen Wink), let us know when you kick off your LOTRO journey.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 28 2010, 7:18pm

Post #5 of 26 (689 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad idea [In reply to] Can't Post

and why not, it's what the kids really wanted to give me no doubt, ha!

Shogun 2: Total War is in development presently. ING is praising the bejeepers out of what's in place so far. But if Empire Total War (which I loved btw) is any indication of the way things are going, Shogun 2 is going to be a resource devouring behemouth of a game by the time it's finished... can't wait.

You know, I've had my eye on Settler's of Catan for a few years but thought it was more of a tool for the classroom (probably because I only ever saw it for sale at education specialty stores). Will definitely give it a try this summer.

ps It's funny you were playing Catan hours before your friends wedding. For my second wedding the groomsmen were comprised of my son and nephews... after getting into our tuxes we played a round of Risk on the PS2. We all had profiles we were very careful with and I kept saying to them, "are you sure you want to attack there? It's going to affect your permanent record you know." Good times (and a great way to stay clean).

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 28 2010, 7:22pm

Post #6 of 26 (676 views)
Shortcut
Hey Donry [In reply to] Can't Post

You really like those sports games eh? I just don't have the coordination or something to really excel at them. Running a team of 11 players must be chaotic. I like to watch the kids play them though... better than the real thing sometimes.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 28 2010, 8:46pm

Post #7 of 26 (730 views)
Shortcut
I just found Settlers of Catan at the thrift store [In reply to] Can't Post

and gave it to my 27 yr old gamer son who was thrilled to get it. It's been played at some of the gaming parties around here but I don't participate so I can't provide a review.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ June 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2010, 3:34am

Post #8 of 26 (720 views)
Shortcut
Yep.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I get into the sports games quite heavily. I play a few others, but more often than not its sports! The non-sports ones I really, really enjoyed were Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Batman: Arkum Asylum, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance & the Call of Duty games. Those games rock! But I find the re-play value just isn't as high as the sports games.
There just isn't enough time in the day to get in all the gaming a person needs!

acheron
Gondor

Jun 29 2010, 2:02pm

Post #9 of 26 (1506 views)
Shortcut
I was playing Catan right before my wedding too [In reply to] Can't Post

5 years ago now! Good times. Also right afterwards: my new wife yelled at us to put it away during the after-party. (had a morning wedding, reception in the afternoon, then a party back at the hotel in the evening.)

I highly recommend the Cities and Knights expansion. Makes the game a bit more complex. Also adds a bit more randomness, but I still don't think it gets "too" random.

If you're looking for other board games, give Carcassonne a try. It's very easy to pick up. (Or if you want something way more complicated, I also recommend Agricola, but that one might be overwhelming.)

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jul 1 2010, 3:14pm

Post #10 of 26 (683 views)
Shortcut
What a great gift for us young gamers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Settlers doesn't have the same mass appeal at parties as, say, Apples to Apples or Mad Gab, but for young and old nerds alike it's a really fun time.

The basic game is complex enough to keep things interesting for a full hour or two, but at the same time can be learned fairly quickly. Utilizing the latest in motion-sensor technology (your eyes), one must determine if the opposing player means to become a benevolent trading partner or secretly plans to block your access to your harbor. Any resources you have collected from your settlements can be haggled, traded or exchanged for various other goods. If I were to venture a comparison, I would say Settlers of Catan is like Monopoly, Risk and the G-20 summit all rolled into one.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2010, 3:59pm

Post #11 of 26 (676 views)
Shortcut
I love that game [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say Settlers of Catan is like Monopoly, Risk and the G-20 summit all rolled into one.

Yes, but better than each separately (though I've never played G-20)
I find Risk and Monopoly too long and repetitive, Settlers is always fresh

My younger brother has the game and incredibly our whole family (of 4 conveniently) likes to play it
we love to play games, but there's few that we can quickly agree upon
also, it's one game we can all manage to win from time to time

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

(This post was edited by Oiotári on Jul 1 2010, 4:00pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 1 2010, 4:11pm

Post #12 of 26 (688 views)
Shortcut
there is a strong gaming community here [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the members of my former Morris dance team were gamers and I would go to their gaming parties so that my boys, both young at the time, could go and game. I used to play games when I was younger but I find I don't have the patience for them anymore, especially when strategy is involved. I enjoy Scrabble and Sorry and the like but that's it.

My son is in two groups conducting campaigns. One is D&D and the other is Tekumel.

But there are also gaming parties where people just bring whatever they want and they break up into groups to play. Settlers of Catan is one that is played at those gaming parties.

This gaming community is comprised of young and old. I know that one of the gentlemen in the Tekumel gaming group has been playing Tekumel for decades (in fact, I'd hate to say definitely w/o checking with my son but he may have been the developer of this game) and has a grown daughter who is part of the group.

I'm glad my son has found this group. He lives and breathes games and is most socially comfortable when gaming or talking about gaming. Everyone needs to find a social group where they *fit*. And the people - those that I know - are all great people who I would consider good role models for him. And, I'd much rather he be gaming in a room with people he can talk to than on the computer with a headset on.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jul 1 2010, 4:37pm

Post #13 of 26 (652 views)
Shortcut
I used to take part in piano competitions in Morris :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And Scrabble is always a good time.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jul 1 2010, 4:49pm

Post #14 of 26 (668 views)
Shortcut
Too funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, she was probably right in scolding a little Settlers action on your wedding day.

Possible future dialogue:

Upon seeing a group of two playing Settlers of Catan:

Red Player: Against the power of Red Player there can be no victory.
Acheron: We must join with Him, Mrs. Acheron. We must join with Red Player. It would be wise, my wife.
Mrs. Acheron: Tell me, "husband," when did Acheron the Wise abandon three bricks and a rock for two sheep?

Acheron and Mrs. Acheron promptly join the game.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 1 2010, 5:12pm

Post #15 of 26 (644 views)
Shortcut
piano competitions in Morris? [In reply to] Can't Post

was that a joke that flew way over my head? (which is where most jokes fly in my universe!)

I mean, Morris Dancers dance to a keyboard but it usually is squeezed!

Yeah, Scrabble is always a good time except when your partner takes 20 minutes for each of their turns. (looks sideways at husband)

We had a travel version we took on our three month trip around the US.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2010, 5:22pm

Post #16 of 26 (664 views)
Shortcut
Isn't U of M Morris a good music school though? [In reply to] Can't Post

so wouldn't it have piano competitions?

I know my brother has done some jazz band stuff there

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jul 1 2010, 5:30pm

Post #17 of 26 (704 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

I ran up to the Music Hall, played a little ditty in front of a set of judges, and ran away again.

Piano Competitions. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 1 2010, 10:10pm

Post #18 of 26 (752 views)
Shortcut
ah, gotcha. ;^) [In reply to] Can't Post

Interestingly, when I joined the Morris team I was on, we were practicing a Morris Park Elementary School.

Honestly, I had forgotten about U of M Morris. Us urban folk don't pay much attention to the out state areas.

(ducks apple)

(ducks other apple from other direction)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 1 2010, 10:11pm)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 2 2010, 12:38pm

Post #19 of 26 (703 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh...the bliss that is a GAU-8/A. [In reply to] Can't Post

Firing the GAU-8/A Avenger -(this isn't my video, but I would have reacted the exact same way) Smile

I've always been into PC combat flight sims, ever since 1990's Red Baron. All of these games utilize a head tracking device (TrackIR) so when you move you head, the in-game view moves in real time with you. I also modified an office chair to incorporate a HOTAS (Hands On Throttle-And-Stick) and rudder pedals with a pedestal for my keyboard. Nothing elaborate, just functional. Here are the sims I currently am playing:

DCS: Ka 50 Black Shark: A Russian attack helicopter (Crazy awesome)

LockOn - Modern Air Combat Flaming Cliffs 2 Several jet airframes (Su-27, Su-33, Su-25, Su-25T, MiG-29, MiG-29S, F-15C, A-10A) (Multi Awesome)

Rise of Flight WWI Biplanes (Retro Awesome)

DCS A-10C Warthog -Coming Soon! (Beyond Awesome) -Check out the start-up video.

Pacific Fighters WWII Pacific Theater

Photobucket

Pre-Pre-production goes ever on and on...

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Jul 2 2010, 12:45pm)

ihs
The Shire

Jul 2 2010, 1:50pm

Post #20 of 26 (726 views)
Shortcut
Been playing... [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTRO - not as much as in the past, as with summer here, I'm outside a lot. Golf, jogging (when my injured leg allows me Frown ), basketball, soccer - the wife and I are outdoor junkies in the summer.

Assassin's Creed II, God of War III, and the new Harry Potter Lego will be getting some play time on the PS3 over the next few months.

And whoever mentioned Settlers of Catan - great game! We've been playing that for a few years, and absolutely love it.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 2 2010, 3:10pm

Post #21 of 26 (705 views)
Shortcut
Red Baron [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a nice sim back in the day. It was the first game (in my experience) that offered a good trade off in time for gained knowledge -- almost everything I know about WWI aviation history I learned from Red Baron. My favourite plane was the Albatross, though even the Morane Bullet was not without its charms once you got used to it's nature. My step dad began his decade and a half love of flight simulators (I'm pretty sure he could fly a real plane by now) on Red Baron. He says that since CFS went down, some people are playing an online multiplayer mod of Red Baron lately. As for him, he's been messing around with an Avro Arrow sim these days.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2010, 4:11pm

Post #22 of 26 (715 views)
Shortcut
Summer Festival.... [In reply to] Can't Post

is in full swing right in LOTRO.....completed the 'Stocking the Pond' quest last night and did some fishing.......Did the speed pub crawl two nights ago but failed to complete the quest.....my character's vision got a bit blurry after the fourth pub and didn't make the time for guzzling pints! I'll have to try again soon!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 3 2010, 1:45am

Post #23 of 26 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Not much but . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been salivating over the thoughts and demos of Portal 2.

I was sent a PC game to review called "Arma II". Anybody?

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2010, 12:08am

Post #24 of 26 (614 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

haven't heard of Arma II.....any good?

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 7 2010, 1:20am

Post #25 of 26 (906 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to mention chess. [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Pre-Pre-production goes ever on and on...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.