Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Opens doors wide* Friday means Fiesta and Fun! Come on in!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 25 2010, 9:42pm

Post #126 of 300 (537 views)
Shortcut
AAAH!! I forgot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spent the morning with a tummy bug. Decided it wasn't good company and shooed it out the window.Crazy I'm 'bout to make tuna turnovers for dinner (but not eat them).Tongue

Happy weekend, all! (Looks to be a "newsy" one if things really do get announced . . .)

Brings a late order of smoked Balrog wings.Wink

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 9:46pm

Post #127 of 300 (542 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's exciting [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope planning doesn't stress you out TOO much Smile

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 9:48pm

Post #128 of 300 (572 views)
Shortcut
nah, she's refering to the battery of course ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2010, 11:09pm

Post #129 of 300 (539 views)
Shortcut
Married? Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

An old friend of mine was recently married (for the second time, but he's a widower) so I sent them a card saying: "Marriage doesn't mean you're perfect - it just means you're perfect for each other." Smile

(Did I mention, that he's 90 and she's 91, and the nursing home went all out decorating the place? You're never too old!)

And how many moms have daughters old enough to help them with the plans - what fun for the two of you! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 25 2010, 11:11pm

Post #130 of 300 (529 views)
Shortcut
You can substitute [In reply to] Can't Post

any kind of rice, beans and bread. I haven't actually made it with cornbread yet. I used pinto beans the first time, and garbanzo beans this time. It's a pretty flexible recipe. The key is to cook it long enough on one side before you turn it over, or it will fall apart. Think pancakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2010, 11:12pm

Post #131 of 300 (553 views)
Shortcut
Tuna turnovers? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, how does one make a tuna turnover?

Tickle it under the gills...

Tongue

*dips smoky Balrog wings in vanilla bean ice cream* Hmm...on a scale of 1 to 10, that's a -9.

(Glad you're feeling better!)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2010, 11:17pm

Post #132 of 300 (581 views)
Shortcut
Okay, sort of like pancake batter. [In reply to] Can't Post

But thicker. For some reason, it reminds me of latkes!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 1:07am

Post #133 of 300 (541 views)
Shortcut
<Eyes light up> Latkes?! Where??!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 1:08am

Post #134 of 300 (543 views)
Shortcut
Pssst! Oio! Anti-Aircraft comes in batteries too! hehehe // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 1:13am

Post #135 of 300 (549 views)
Shortcut
Mr Shy Elf needs a piece of paper for an excuse to par-tay? <laughs> [In reply to] Can't Post

Never mind! Enjoy yourselves and have a GREAT time. How awesome for you! Do you have the date in Sept pinned down yet or does that depend on things coming together yet? Aren't comical sidekicks the best? My favourite is Ben Grimm (though technically he's not a sidekick but art of an ensemble)!

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 1:21am

Post #136 of 300 (545 views)
Shortcut
What'llya have, Miss Ethel? [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy I'll be glad when this divorce-thingy is over so I can have a BEER again! <laughs> But my rule is a good one so I'll be good for another 101 days (Oct 4th donchaknow?) Tuna turnovers? Sounds like the sort of thing a music-family might make. Tongue Releases endor-FINS I bet! Cool

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 1:24am

Post #137 of 300 (560 views)
Shortcut
HEHEHEHE! Good 'un! [In reply to] Can't Post

-9?! That's almost as bad as dead gakh!

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 26 2010, 2:16am

Post #138 of 300 (532 views)
Shortcut
Alka Seltzer :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Still a bit "challenged" digestively.

Well we do have family jokes, such as "how do you tune-a-fish."Sly

Sounds like a good rule. Have a nice, flaky, turnover and some cranberry juice instead!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 26 2010, 2:28am

Post #139 of 300 (551 views)
Shortcut
Offer it free gymnastics lessons? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes accidentally pronounced turna tuneovers, these delectible dinner items are made with (homemade) biscuit dough rolled out flat into a rectangle, then cut into 4 smaller rectangles. A blob of tuna mixed with cream of mushroom soup is then dropped into the center of each rectangle. The edges of each square are moistened, folded over the "blob" and pressed to to seal (I use a fork, which I also use to prick some holes in the top). We herd them onto a greased cookie sheet and bake 'em at 400 for about 15 minutes. No good as leftovers, but VERY YUMMY fresh (beats cram :]). Serve these with Baked Balrog wings dipped in Sauce Orodruin for a spicy contrast (-12)Evil!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 2:37am

Post #140 of 300 (616 views)
Shortcut
One "Akka-setzer" comin' up! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll pass on the turnovers as I abhor both any "cream of" soups (don't like white sauces of any sort except one or two garlic-based ones) and I'm definitely not a hobbit as I don't like mushrooms. Crazy

<eyes another rootbeer float w/chok'lit ice-cream>

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jun 26 2010, 2:49am

Post #141 of 300 (529 views)
Shortcut
I love rootbeer floats, [In reply to] Can't Post

but only with the proper vanilla ice cream.WinkWink Maybe we could start a huge argument thread over the right ice cream flavor! Jumps up and down waving a cone in anticipation: "mushroom vanilla bean espresso"!

ShyElf
Lorien

Jun 26 2010, 2:55am

Post #142 of 300 (531 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now I'm just fine with everything. However, if you ask that same question in 2 months - you just might get a different answer!

Cheers!

ShyElf
Lorien

Jun 26 2010, 3:02am

Post #143 of 300 (527 views)
Shortcut
OMG - that's wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

90 and 91! I agree - you are never too old. Even Mr. ShyElf isn't too old (I'm always teasing him about being an old coot!).

Sharing the experience with our daughter is a delight! Actually, it's something I didn't anticipate until after we told her and I saw how excited she got over it all (she's normally so laid back!).

Cheers!

ShyElf
Lorien

Jun 26 2010, 3:15am

Post #144 of 300 (548 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

You always make me laugh out loud! Actually it was I who proposed to Mr. ShyElf! Yes - he asked me 18 years ago and I turned him down. I didn't want to go down that path again. But, as the years went by and life with Mr. ShyElf seemed to be working out - I mellowed out. So I started hinting that it might be OK a couple of years ago, but he didn't respond. I wondered if I'd lost my one kick at the can 18 years ago. So, I decided to ask him whilst we were driving down the highway not too long ago. He said yes! How exciting.

Yes - we have a date picked out - city hall chapel booked, caterers organized, guests planning to come to town. Everything is moving along at lightning speed. Yikes!

Comical sidekicks are the best! I've spent a lot of time laughing during the past 18 years...Tongue He may not be a LOTR fan (when he gets his elf names all wrong, it drives my daughter bonkers - but I know he calls Arwyn - Darwin just to get her going), but he's great stuff. I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago and he surprised me with a Scientific Tricorder - much to my delight! At his 60th birthday party one of his friends wives asked what on earth I would actually 'do' with a Scientific Tricorder. His reply? "It's not what she'll do with it - it's just the fact that she HAS it that makes her happy." Does he get me or what?

Cheers!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 3:41am

Post #145 of 300 (544 views)
Shortcut
Best weird pop-culture use [In reply to] Can't Post

award to the B-52s for "Remember wherever you go, there you are!" in their Girl from Ipanema Goes to Greenland. =)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 3:53am

Post #146 of 300 (521 views)
Shortcut
Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll eat all the mushrooms, and you can have all the nassty garlic cream sauces. Then neither one of us will have to get sick or waste food. And please eat that garlic-spiked regurgitated junk somewhere I can't smell it rising from the bowl. Thanks. ;)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2010, 3:54am

Post #147 of 300 (528 views)
Shortcut
"It's not what she'll do with it - it's just the fact that she HAS it that makes her happy." [In reply to] Can't Post

that's so very sweet of him
you found a good man Evil

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 4:13am

Post #148 of 300 (566 views)
Shortcut
Best eclectic use of pop culture knowledge: Eowyn of Penns Woods! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't have guessed you for a "Buffs" girl! (Buff has nothing to do with the band, but is a common nickname for the aircraft the B-52).

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 4:28am

Post #149 of 300 (543 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the high compliment, m'Lady... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you changed your mind. Marriage is really a choice we make each day we're with someone and not a ceremony nor a piece of paper. My 2nd favourite author, Ms Ursula K. LeGuin put it lovely though she was talking about love and not marriage saying "it has to be made and re-made (daily)" and that's important - never to take the one supposedly closest to our heart for granted. I care nothing for a religious 'marriage' that is only meant to be a symbol, nor a secular one that is no more than a business partnership and nothing more. When I see a couple of 60+ holding hands and even more importantly the love IN THEIR EYES is when I believe in love and marriage. I wanna have that someday too but first we fix what I done helped to break and me too whilst I'm at it.
Most people wouldn't think of your proposing on a highway as romantical, but I do. Without the story I'd scritch me 'ead, but with it it makes perfect sense and is very sweet. Evil
LOL Yep, June is over! Then only TWO MORE MONTHS?! AAAUUUGGGHH! hehehe It'll be a blast!
I think he does "get" you. And I couldn't be happier for anyone. Since you got the scientific tricorder I think you should get some Vulcan ears for your daughter and as a joke during the reception have her amble up to the two of you and give you a quick scan (basing this on the prank the original crew pulled on Leonard Nimoy for his birthday - they had his 5-year-old son done up in Vulcan ears and he approached his dad from the blind side on the bridge and when he turned around the boy said, "I love you, daddy!") Smile
Just a thought! Evil

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 26 2010, 4:33am

Post #150 of 300 (522 views)
Shortcut
EoPW, you are WAY cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was with my pending Ex, I used to pick mushrooms off of pizza and other things and deposit them on her plate, often when she wasn't looking, but when she was I'd simply smile at her and say, "A KISS for you!"
I prefer a garlic marinara, but will eat a few of the cream sauces, and yes of course I'll keep the scent downwind of you and apply breath mints and tooth-scrubbing liberally so as not to nauseate you.

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.