Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Opens doors wide* Friday means Fiesta and Fun! Come on in!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 25 2010, 4:04pm

Post #1 of 300 (1810 views)
Shortcut
*Opens doors wide* Friday means Fiesta and Fun! Come on in! Can't Post

Welcome, welcome and welcome some more to this week's Fiesta Friday celebration.

As usual, the bar is extremely well-stocked, the pool is just the right temperature and we even have a bit of a fire going inside for our S. hemisphere friends.

Let us know how you fared this week and what, if any, exciting plans you might have for the weekend. We're going shopping for a desk for BG's new gaming computer (I may never see him again, lol) and for a nice storm door for the front of the house. Exciting, huh? LaughCool

*kicks juke box* That's Amore by Dean Martin fills the room.

Have a fabulous, Amore filled weekend everyone!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 4:07pm

Post #2 of 300 (1205 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA....Guinness please!!!

'First ones here....first ones to leave Russ!'
Great quote from Vacation when they finally make it to an empty Wally World.....I am never here this early!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 25 2010, 4:08pm

Post #3 of 300 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Gaming computer *drools [In reply to] Can't Post

The games I want to play are beyond the capabilities of the desktop and laptop computers we have. Lucky boy!

Have a great weekend everyoneSmile

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 4:09pm

Post #4 of 300 (1221 views)
Shortcut
I think summer's on its way [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been having glimpses of it all week. Finally. Although compared to some of the weather across this continent, we're pretty blessed to live where we do.

Life goes on much as usual, but T-ball is over this weekend, and school is out in a couple more days. I'll have to get a little creative in keeping the g'son busy. I've got him into swimming lessons again and we'll be doing lots of camping.

Got the old dog shaved off for the summer, he looks quite happy about it. Not like our previous dog who always looked very embarrassed by it.

Some nice cold home-made lemonade would go down a treat today, I think.

Happy weekend, everyone!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2010, 4:14pm

Post #5 of 300 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Beer please Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

Its very warm here today but at least after today I'm off work for a whole week and a bit CoolCoolCool Im off down to visit family and watch the world cup on the tv!

Now I just have to finish the umpteen things that always seem to crop up on the last day before a holiday Unsure

Cheers all

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 4:15pm

Post #6 of 300 (1212 views)
Shortcut
iced tea please [In reply to] Can't Post

the weather has been fabulous here, always sunny (except at night Tongue ) and it uses the night to get all the rain out of its system, which is fine by me

Last weekend I went to the park around our city's waterfalls (incidentally called Falls Park) intending to find a nice spot to read, but when I got there, there was a Festival of Cultures going on, that threw me off guard, so I listened to the music and ate some food, it was a good time. After that was over I found a spot to read, the perfect rock formation. If the weather holds up I'll go there again this weekend and find that rock again.

what adventures did I have this week?
well, a couple days ago I spent something like four hours trying to make the computer cooperate with me and show me the graph I was trying to make. I was extremely excited when it finally showed up in it's 3D glory Laugh

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2010, 4:17pm

Post #7 of 300 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Got a blender plugged in and ready to go? [In reply to] Can't Post

It was hot here yesterday, and although it's only going to get into the high 70's today, that's still warm to me! Could you mix up a coffee-and-kahlua smoothie for me, please, Altaira? I've got some vanilla bean ice cream here, we can toss a couple of scoops in...

What an outbreak of storms here yesterday! Most of the state had sunshine, but little pockets of strong thunderstorms struck some areas; the city of Bridgeport is trying to pick up the pieces after a tornado went through.

We've got the folks from 1-800-GOT-JUNK coming next week, so this weekend we'll be doing a massive "Spring cleaning", even though it's summer.

A new gaming computer? Don't get BG together with my Geeky Son, we'll never see the two again! Crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 25 2010, 4:20pm

Post #8 of 300 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Hey for Fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hot tea, please, spiked with vitamins.

The Gaffer and I are still trying to get over these blankety-blank sore throats. They're building a highway near here, and the dust is terrible.... At least, I'm telling myself the sore throats and coughs that are going around are caused by drought, dust, and air quality and not by yet another wave of viruses.

We had three inches of rain this morning -- you know, three inches between each drop Smile Actual rain would help lay the dust, so fingers crossed.

I'm having a quiet and I hope restorative day, before a couple of small outings on Saturday and Sunday. I hope the BG enjoys his new gaming computer! Freecell is quite addictive enough for me Tongue

*Stuffs tip jar with throat lozenges*

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 300 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Would anyone like a piece of cake? [In reply to] Can't Post

I come with an offering of Dalek cake for the geeky and even the non geeky among us, the flavour is ultimate chocolate!!

I made this cake for a lady in my office, for her son's 14th birthday. He was really, really pleased with it, and she's already asked me to do her daughter's 16th cake in December! I got to show it round the office too, so I think I may get a few more orders in soon!

I do hope this is a dog-friendly bar, as I've brought my new puppy along to meet you all... everybody, this is Scout...

He came with us last Saturday, and has had a really great week. No accidents in the house, (yet, lol), and he is honestly the calmest little puppy I've ever met! Nothing seems to scare him, the vacuum, car horns honking, a big labrador bouncing right up to his face at the vets, countless numbers of people cooing over him, nothing makes him flinch! He did whine a little when Neil first got his guitar out in front of him, but that's totally understandable! Tongue

He's sleeping through the night too, we've been getting up to let him out halfway through, but the past couple of nights he's been fast asleep! Ollie hasn't reacted badly at all, in fact, they even touched noses, this morning!

Anyway, this weekend will be spent mostly relaxing with the pup. He's not able to go walkies til he has his second jab in two and a half weeks, so until then, we are exercising him in our garden. The weather is glorious at the moment, so we may have some folks round for a BBQ!

Happy weekend all!! Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Post #10 of 300 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Once again, going through the drive-thru! [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss TORn!!! I'm still crazy buzy with projects, putting together a mid-July spaghetti diner/live auction fundraiser for my friend/co-worker battling leukemia, stopping by businesses for donations every night, and getting the house ready to estimates on new windows. I'm bummed because I may have to rip out the front bushes I've carved out to look like a green dragon ;) It's totally covering the whole front of the house and 2 of the windows... so it may be time to landscape.

Here are some pics in case the ol' boy gets shot down and ends up in the drink.

Green Dragon Okay. He's lying down with the front and hind leg brought up beside it. Face turned and looking off to the side… tail wraps around side of house.

Tail end

Smile

In case you can't see it

So as soon as I get a couple of TORn projects, the fundraiser and my house/yard prepped... I'LL BE BACK!

In the meantime, may I have a pink lemonade, Altaira! Shopping for the BG-Man is always a great idea... cuz then YOUR TURN comes 'round ;)

HUGS to one and all, and stay safe, stay well, and stay out of trouble as best you can!!!!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Post #11 of 300 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Perfect weather? [In reply to] Can't Post

It was midnight on the ocean, not a streetcar was in sight,
And the sun was shining brightly, for it'd rained all day that night...

Don't recall the rest of that, my Dad used to sing it, apparently it was some college song he'd learned back in the '40s...

(Gad, we can spend a lot of time at our computers, can't we! Laugh)

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 25 2010, 4:24pm

Post #12 of 300 (1223 views)
Shortcut
<grumbles> "Amore"... [In reply to] Can't Post

The court-appointed therapist was in Minnesota on holiday this week so I only got to see my son on Sunday. His mother, sensitive to Father's Day, had not so much as a card ready for him and said to my son she thought my father was not wearing a helmet when he passed away 36 years ago. I'm still walking and it appears as if I'm going to be forced to give her the car I've just spent $1200+ repairing and given a car that comes with a payment (my car has been paid off for years). Yesterday she was s'posed to get the rest of her effects and I had a list and all were waiting for her in the garage. The appointed time was from 1200 - 1530. At approx. 1445 I get a call from my lawyer's paralegal saying that my wife had been in the ER all morning and had not been released by 1215 so she was asking for more time - until 1700 to be precise. No word on whether it was my wife or my son in ER or what the malady was. But since she was getting her stuff I can presume that it wasn't too serious but I still would have liked the information as it does affect me. I arrived home at 1630, thinking to watch from a nearby hill (as I'm not allowed w/in 300 feet of my wife) but she was gone. What's more, between 1/3 to 1/2 of the things she'd asked for were still in the garage. I spoke w/my neighbour who was supposed to watch her to ensure she didn't go in the house and to collect her keys to the house and apparently my wife threatened the neighbour with calling the cops and got into an argument with her so my neighbour went back to her house and my wife had free reign. My wife had four helpers with her and a truck and a trailer but she left all that stuff. My wife also changed her story of what happened that I'm not able to see my son again as well.

On the bright side, therapy is going well and Doc said how well I was progressing. The CASA worker that's been difficult at best for me to work with has been banned from attending the Center on Fathering's Monday support groups because of - wait for it - antagonistic behaviour in a support setting! I'm mulling whether and where to file a complaint because now I have 3rd party "ammo" but I also have quite enough on my plate so I may let it pass, especially since I hope to be out of CASA soon now that the therapist is back from holiday. My son is awesome and I have most of my health (back problems, but we're working it) and I'm still keeping focused. Any "shot" I might take at her will only harm my son and not her at all and I have to remember that in any case she will be part of his life and mine for the rest of our lives so it serves no point to sink that ship except to make life much more difficult for my son. I'm taking some hits, to be certain, and I'm especially vulnerable right now as therapy is ripping up a lot of what I've always relied on in times of need but I'm working through it all and in the end, "She can't win. If she strikes me down I shall become more powerful than she can possibly imagine!" (Apologies to Obi-Wan Kenobi).

<Mixes himself a rootbeer float with chocolate ice-cream and drops a dime in the jukebox to play "If It Makes You Happy">

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2010, 4:25pm

Post #13 of 300 (1211 views)
Shortcut
*passes box of Throat Coat tea* [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if this will help at all, it's supposed to soothe the soreness!

"Three inches"! Laugh Wish I knew how to package and send down your way, some of the downpours we've been having here! Crazy

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 25 2010, 4:26pm

Post #14 of 300 (1166 views)
Shortcut
"Falls Park" - very hobbity... [In reply to] Can't Post

As in common sense. Good for you! Cheers!

sample

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 4:28pm

Post #15 of 300 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like life is treating you well, Jazmine [In reply to] Can't Post

Exceptional cake, and exceptional puppy! And what a joy to have such an agreeable baby! Let's hope he doesn't suddenly start chewing your shoes and such.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 4:29pm

Post #16 of 300 (1170 views)
Shortcut
We need some of that nightly rain! [In reply to] Can't Post

No sign of the wet stuff here, so I've been running round watering the garden frantically! Crazy

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 25 2010, 4:29pm

Post #17 of 300 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Delicious! [In reply to] Can't Post

You do need to open up your own specialty cake shop, Jazmine! Smile

*gives Scout virtual ear scritchies* Y'know, the only problem with bringing him in here, is that some of us are very tempted to walk off with him! Laugh What a sweet puppy - he really does belong in your family. Heart

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jun 25 2010, 4:30pm

Post #18 of 300 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you can just downsize him [In reply to] Can't Post

so he doesn't take up as much room. Dragons aren't very amenable to change though, so I've heard.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 25 2010, 4:30pm

Post #19 of 300 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Dalek cake! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gaffer is a big Dr. Who fan. I'll have to show him your photo. Well done!

And you obviously chose well when it came to the puppy. What a cutie!

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 25 2010, 4:31pm

Post #20 of 300 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Hi Donry [In reply to] Can't Post

For being first, your Guinness is free. Wink

I hope you have a great weekend.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Post #21 of 300 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Boy, Friday again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Comes faster and faster.

OhioHobbit has requested a chocolate phosphate and I would be very happy with a raspberry iced tea.

Our last week was not particularly exciting. We had two inches of rain in about 1/2 hour, but then it ended.

Our weekend is full of excitment. We have to go to the recycling center. We don't have pickup here in the country. But it is only a drive of about a mile. Then . . .
we get to go to the grocery store! Wink

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and and great week next week.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Post #22 of 300 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I saw the strangest chew toy in the pet store... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was shaped like a shoe!!! I mean, how on earth is your dog supposed to tell the difference between his chew-toy shoe, and that temptingly expensive looking high heel that someone left lying around?! We got a chew deterrent spray, that's supposed to taste bad, that I've sprayed around the place. The taste of it got into my throat when I was spraying it, and it made me heave, so I'm hoping it'll put him off too!

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 25 2010, 4:32pm

Post #23 of 300 (1193 views)
Shortcut
CAKE...GOOD!... [In reply to] Can't Post

But girl...BETTER! From an old Rankin Bass cartoon. Igor wants Dr Frankenstein to make a girl for HIM! Pretty funny.

Great lookin' cake! You got SKILLS, girl! Smile Glad you'll get a few more orders, cause you DEF'NITELY DESERVE 'em! NIII-IICE!

I'm thinkin' Ollie sense how mellow Scout is and is cool with it because he's not posing any threat. Great about the no accidents! Whoo Hoo! You seem to be getting a great "kid"! Wink

sample

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 25 2010, 4:32pm

Post #24 of 300 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually have some of that throat coat tea. It's about time to fix myself another cup, with honey.

Being able to share the rain would be very helpful, yes.

Altaira
Superuser

Jun 25 2010, 4:33pm

Post #25 of 300 (1191 views)
Shortcut
It's very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Even my untrained eye can see why a special computer enhances the experience. It's unbelievable how realistic some of these games are now.

Enjoy your weekend, Sir D! Smile

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.