Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Swords are of no use here!...so do you?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Swords are of no use here!...so do you?
Carry a firearm on you at all times?
Only have a firearm in your car?
Only have a firearm in your house?
Have a firearm in both car and house?
Just believe in pepper spary and non-leathal means?
Not believe in guns because no one will ever hurt me?
Still use a sword anyway?
View Results (49 votes)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 11 2010, 11:28pm

Post #51 of 92 (553 views)
Shortcut
<chuckle> I thought that was pretty much what I'd said... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I admit you DID say it better! Smile

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 11 2010, 11:38pm

Post #52 of 92 (563 views)
Shortcut
21 years Air Force and I have never owned a firearm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though since you're former military you might remember..."This is my weapon, This is my gun..." Won't complete it for this being a family board! Tongue

macfalk: I'm your mother's age (49) and I've never been assaulted with a weapon either. I've been to 37 U.S. states and 11 foreign countries. Are your folks that well-travelled? As Eowyn and others have said, nothing beats being aware of your surroundings for avoiding trouble.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 11 2010, 11:50pm

Post #53 of 92 (551 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was the PUN is mightier than the sword?// [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 12 2010, 12:12am

Post #54 of 92 (554 views)
Shortcut
Let's just put on bathing suits and fight with [In reply to] Can't Post

tickle swords...You know with willow wand ends or hemlock sprigs.....Death by giggling. Hey, it's lethal but not violent.

What? Yous got a butter er better idear....Howbout, a butter fight with soft quarter sticks. It would be slick. Then it would get so slippery and no one could do nuttin', 'cept die of laughter. Another fine form non-violent lethality.

So,..what other esoteric subject should we ruminate on?

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2010, 1:43am

Post #55 of 92 (548 views)
Shortcut
that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

but which is mightier: the pen, or the pun?
and how does white-out fit into all of this?

silneldor
Half-elven

Jun 12 2010, 2:09am

Post #56 of 92 (547 views)
Shortcut
Geez Karen [In reply to] Can't Post

I went back and looked for this thread but i did not find it. I thought it was deleted, but then i found it tonight.

Tell Terl i am well enough for 60 and have no grounds for complaintLaugh.

Tell him to check out my porch project thread on OT below fiesta. He is a hands on guy and he may be interested.

I keep having this thought of asking you if you would like to have my son come visit you two for a couple of days sometime. He is getting A's in math and he would have a common interest with terl with trains. And he could wander about the mtns with you. He would love that. He is a great kid. He would love to help out with anything you need to do too. Just a thought.

How is terl feeling? Is he still without job?
Love ya,
mickpattynme:)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 2:54am

Post #57 of 92 (552 views)
Shortcut
I have a penknife here, do I win? White-out is for sissies. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jun 12 2010, 2:56am)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 2:57am

Post #58 of 92 (551 views)
Shortcut
After careful deliberation... The PUN is mightier than the pen [In reply to] Can't Post

Because one can pun orally but only when one pens orally the resultant ink-mouth only makes the maker grimace. White-out is the weapon of choice for secretarial types named "Blanche" Cool

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 2:59am

Post #59 of 92 (531 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn of Penn-knife Woods?!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2010, 3:00am

Post #60 of 92 (542 views)
Shortcut
ooo... you might [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a pen with a highlighter on the other end from a taekwondo event, do I win?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 3:06am

Post #61 of 92 (536 views)
Shortcut
Dunno...Does it draw blood as well as mine can?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2010, 3:08am

Post #62 of 92 (553 views)
Shortcut
felt tip markers can draw blood pretty easily, so highlighters probably could // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 3:15am

Post #63 of 92 (530 views)
Shortcut
Mine can also permanently erase a mistake. [In reply to] Can't Post

Uhh...your name ain't Miss Take, is it...? ;)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 12 2010, 3:20am

Post #64 of 92 (581 views)
Shortcut
nope, I think she's ran that way [In reply to] Can't Post

*points in a random direction*

That's pretty good EoPW Laugh

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jun 12 2010, 4:25pm

Post #65 of 92 (641 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Sil. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad things are going OK.

Yes, Uncle Baggins is still out of work, and so is our daughter. He's started telling people he's retired, but she's too young to get away with that. I love having her home, but she sure would like a place of her own again.

Because she's back home, we don't have any extra beds to put anyone up. There's a couch in the living room, but people are up all night and watching TV or surfing the 'net in the living room, so it's kind of hard to sleep. So I'm not sure how well a visit from your son would work out. But we could think about it. I'll see what Uncle Baggins thinks.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jun 14 2010, 6:04pm

Post #66 of 92 (562 views)
Shortcut
Haven't felt the need to own a gun [In reply to] Can't Post

If I did get a gun, I'd keep it locked up so that my sons, their friends, and my nieces and nephews wouldn't fool with it. Which pretty much negates its use against intruders.

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Jun 14 2010, 6:04pm)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 15 2010, 1:47pm

Post #67 of 92 (518 views)
Shortcut
Uhhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

So, killing orcs with a sword is more family oriented then killing an orc with say a .44 magnum? Are they not both weapons? Are they not both used for defense and attack? I find it amusing that people in general do have that mentality even though both are deadly weapons and both can achieve the exact same results in the end. IMHO a weapon is a weapon no matter how you "slice" it. I'm not sure how I came across as being a "This is my rifle, this is my gun" kinda' person which is a U.S. Marine Corps thing if I'm not mistaken, but in my experience military personal who are properly trained to, will most likely also own a firearm. I'm not saying that the two are mutually exclusive or that is always the case. Like I stated in my previous post, "I'm not here to try to persuade anyone to do anything they don't want to or don't believe in. I was just curious how many TORN members preferred carrying a "sword"(i.e. firearm in this case) to a walking stick." It's just a poll. I wasn't attempting to evaluate the moral implications of any given subject matter. I felt it was still within the "family zone", be it slightly toward the end of that spectrum, it was others, not I, who pushed it farther into that shaded grey area then need be.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Jun 15 2010, 1:49pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 15 2010, 2:47pm

Post #68 of 92 (507 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Swords aren't so likely to go off accidentally though you can get a nasty cut if you mishandle them.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2010, 2:56pm

Post #69 of 92 (516 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

and as I think I've said before, guns make anyone a murder, it's just too easy to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger. And it's too fast, you could kill someone without really thinking it through

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 15 2010, 3:05pm

Post #70 of 92 (538 views)
Shortcut
Swords & Knives require Personal Commitment to use: [In reply to] Can't Post

Cannons, rifles, machine guns and even handguns can be used casually. To be consistently effective requires training and practice but they are still effective without these processes. Thermonuclear devices solve the problem of the need for accuracy and resolve the need for personal commitment. If everyone had one we would all be safe. (or some such nonsense)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 15 2010, 5:35pm

Post #71 of 92 (498 views)
Shortcut
Is this what you had in mind? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2010, 5:49pm

Post #72 of 92 (488 views)
Shortcut
*laughs* Are you saying that's NOT how it works? :-P // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jun 15 2010, 5:53pm

Post #73 of 92 (496 views)
Shortcut
Well said, Oiotari. [In reply to] Can't Post

In combination with Idril's post--I'd have to be able to get to and find a gun I had put away to keep grandkids from coming into contact with, so it would be useless--these explain my feelings exactly.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 15 2010, 6:02pm

Post #74 of 92 (485 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people can and do. Some people can point one, but just. can't. pull. trigger.

For myself, I know I'm far more likely and much quicker to actually put a blade to use than to pull a trigger. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger even if I'd had a firearm, because it didn't suit the situation. But I have some training and a different personality and mindset from others.

I just think it's best to avoid such broad statements when people are not all the same.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 15 2010, 6:16pm

Post #75 of 92 (479 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry, how about this [In reply to] Can't Post

practically everyone is physically (though maybe not mentally) capable of pointing a gun and pulling a trigger, but a much smaller percentage of people can effectively wield a sword

and you're right, that was a bit broad

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.