Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD June 10, 2010

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jun 11 2010, 3:04am

Post #1 of 14 (442 views)
Shortcut
SCOD June 10, 2010 Can't Post

• Considering the Elves that drank in the books, do you find this scene with Legolas' reactions to the effects of the ale odd?
  • Did you like this added scene? Or was it like stretching for comic relief?
  • What do you think of the mugs? (I know I want one!)
  • Extra: What could Legolas be thinking with that expression?
  • Additional Comments?

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2010, 3:25am

Post #2 of 14 (486 views)
Shortcut
I'm feeling wholely non-creative as far as a subject line goes [In reply to] Can't Post

• Considering the Elves that drank in the books, do you find this scene with Legolas' reactions to the effects of the ale odd?
apparently elves are only affected by wine Wink
I don't know, when I first saw this scene I wasn't really thinking about that, it wasn't until later that I noticed the inconsistency
I'm interested in how they'll handle it in TH, maybe they'll just ignore the discrepancy
It was a bit of a stretch, but it wasn't a bad scene
It does a fairly good job at showing the mood everyone would be in after winning a battle
As is usual, WETA put a lot of effort into every detail
but even if I had one, I don't think I'd know what to do with it (it hardly seems appropriate for anything other than ale)
This ale tastes funny, I'd much rather have some Dorwinion wine
  • Additional Comments?
umm.... imagine there was a balrog on one of the mugs......... how many wings does it have? TongueAngelic

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jun 11 2010, 7:32pm

Post #3 of 14 (184 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what Legolas is thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm definitley softening my position on waiting to get the EE until it comes out on blu-ray. More Orli can only be a very very good thing!

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 11 2010, 11:46pm

Post #4 of 14 (186 views)
Shortcut
Looks like old PJ's been having a bit of fun... [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering the Elves that drank in the books, do you find this scene with Legolas' reactions to the effects of the ale odd?

I've seen sophisticated French wine-drinkers get themselves accidentally and embarrassingly drunk on unfamiliar Anglo-Saxon beer. So I kind of like the idea of this scene.

Did you like this added scene? Or was it like stretching for comic relief?

I liked the Elf. Not so keen on the Dwarf. Too OTT for me.

Extra: What could Legolas be thinking with that expression?

"What is this strange brew?"

Additional Comments?

This is Howard Shore's cameo. I expect PJ wanted it to see the light of day for that reason alone, even though the scene wasn't up to standard for the theatrical-release movie.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Jun 12 2010, 4:24am

Post #5 of 14 (292 views)
Shortcut
A drinking game? [In reply to] Can't Post

• Considering the Elves that drank in the books, do you find this scene with Legolas' reactions to the effects of the ale odd
No I didn't. I always I assumed that elves only got drunk on the really strong stuff like the Dorwinion wine.
Yes I actually enjoyed the scene. I enjoyed the chance to have a scene with Legolas and Gimli.
Mugs rock!
Hmmm.... Me thinks the Rohan need to work on their brewing skills.
  • Additional Comments?
I love Eomer's face in this scene. He looks almost like he's humoring Legolas but doesn't really expect much.

"The person, be it a gentleman or a lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." Jane Austen

Lord of Magic
Bree

Jun 12 2010, 2:13pm

Post #6 of 14 (192 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually didn't like this scene. Legolas seemed too....oh, what's the word...."Olando Bloom"-ish for me. I just can't see Legolas acting this way....

Former Duke of Stardock, Overseer of the Paraphysical Army of Tokidoki, High Mage in Service to King Lyam conDoin I of Rillanon, The Absolute Lord, Ruler, and Sovereign of all Tokidoki.

The White Dragon and Arnölé, The Lord of All Magic

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 12 2010, 3:26pm

Post #7 of 14 (194 views)
Shortcut
I bet they had fun filming this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a favorite scene of mine, but probably a nice change of pace for them to film a purely fun scene after all the battle scenes and high drama moments...

This image has a kind of storybook feel to it for me...more "fairy tale" than "Faerie tale", if I can put it that way...I guess it's the warm, brown tones and the lighting that give it more of a "once upon a time" feel, to me anyway!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 12 2010, 4:36pm

Post #8 of 14 (213 views)
Shortcut
normally my eyes would be on Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

...what with my crush on him and stuff.

But in this scene, another man catches my eye.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 10:25pm

Post #9 of 14 (157 views)
Shortcut
That's a *really* good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always assumed that elves only got drunk on the really strong stuff like the Dorwinion wine.
______________________________________________________________________________________

I have older relatives, from a far older generation, who have told me stories of when *their* families made wine themselves ... it was reeeeeeeeeeeeally potent stuff. I mean, they seem to me to be describing brandy, rather than wine. So you might have hit it exactly right, maybe the Elves' Dorwinion wine was actually "really strong stuff", like brandy. Which would explain those tipsy, singing and/or sleeping Elves very well!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jun 12 2010, 10:35pm

Post #10 of 14 (164 views)
Shortcut
A fun scene for the EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

I had not read the books yet, so I had no background. So I thought it was reasonable to consider that the "lofty" (or so I thought) Elves, had no experience with earthy things like ale. (Of course then I read The Silmarillion, which knocked the Elves right off that pedestal I had put them on :-)).

Actually I liked it. And I think in some ways it was a realistic depiction of how people in dire circumstances will grab a few hours of celebration and happiness, knowing really that it cannot last.

"It comes in pints?" :-)

"When in Rome.... " :-)

• Additional Comments?
    Yay for Howard Shore cameos!

• Celedor
    Rivendell

Jun 14 2010, 9:36pm

Post #11 of 14 (141 views)
    Shortcut
    Game Over [In reply to] Can't Post

• Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this! Which, incidently, was on a National Geographic special of all things. "So Legolas is pretending Elves have never met alcohol before huh? He needs to talk to his father."

• This is not a favorite scene of mine. I don't really feel it does anything, because Legolas has already been established as a cool Elf and Gimli has already been established as comic relief, so it doesn't add anything character-wise; and it doesn't move the story forward either. I'm glad it wasn't in the theatrical cut.

• It comes in p.... oh wait, someone beat me to it.

• "Must get through silly scene..."
  • Additional Comments?

• As stated, it's great to see Howard Shore! And the sound engineer guy whose name I forget.

-Celedor-
    www.jwbraun.com

Magpie
    Immortal

Jun 14 2010, 10:05pm

Post #12 of 14 (143 views)
    Shortcut
    sound engineer guy [In reply to] Can't Post

Michael Semanick :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
    magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen Skywalker
    Lorien

Jun 19 2010, 6:44pm

Post #13 of 14 (185 views)
    Shortcut
    Elves and beer [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering the Elves that drank in the books, do you find this scene with Legolas' reactions to the effects of the ale odd?

Now that I read The Hobbit, I don't think it's really an inconsistency if the Mirkwood Elves didn't know much about ale, including the alcohol content. That wouldn't be surprising if this was the case since they seem to be more isolated from the outside world than the Lorien and Rivendell Elves. Since the movies tell us nothing about that, I'd like to think Legolas is trying this for the first time.

Did you like this added scene? Or was it like stretching for comic relief?

I loved it when Legolas said that it was beginning to affect him. His reaction was much funnier to watch than Gimli's. Maybe it didn't add much to the movie as a whole but it's decent enough as a stand-alone scene.

Extra: What could Legolas be thinking with that expression?

WTF do Men love about ale so much?

Niniel Valinor
    Rivendell

Jan 12 2011, 3:25pm

Post #14 of 14 (99 views)
    Shortcut
    Drink up me hearties yo ho [In reply to] Can't Post

• Nah I think it would make sense that they could drink a lot without feeling anything. I imagine they're too prudes to drink too much other times anyway lol. Besides ale tastes like hell lol

• I think it was alright that it was cut although it's a cute scene.

• It's LOTR mugs! I would def. want one lol

• "This tastes rather funny"
  • Additional Comments?
    I also just love Eomer's reaction when Legolas says "I feel something" LOL. It's SO priceless!

•  

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.