The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Thanks for the civil disagreements!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 10 2010, 4:59pm

Post #1 of 7 (317 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the civil disagreements! Can't Post

Just a thanks to everyone here that we can disagree without insults, profanities, or ALL CAPS SCREAMING.

I have tried out several Tolkien discussion groups since the Internet began (yes, that shows my age!). And most dissolved into shouting matches over various topics, especially when the topics involved religion or spirituality, which I know are sensitive but are also indisputably part of Tolkien's works. There was no real debate those other places, just polarized camps of yelling, so I would give up, wait a couple years, and try again somewhere else.

Hence my gratitude to you all for acting like civilized adults who can agree to disagree. I don't care if someone tells me I'm wrong; I learn something new when they do. Or if I don't accept what they say, I've still learned a new perspective.

This is a fun place to be.

Curious
Half-elven

Jun 10 2010, 5:26pm

Post #2 of 7 (191 views)
Shortcut
Thank the admins. [In reply to] Can't Post

They silently patrol for trolls. Thanks, admins!

And thank you for the positive feedback. We're glad to have you (although I guess I wasn't here when you appeared, so I'm also glad to be back).

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 11 2010, 1:25am

Post #3 of 7 (150 views)
Shortcut
So true. [In reply to] Can't Post

If we didn't have the admins "beating the bounds" for trolls, I suppose this place would have degenerated into the same kind of slobby environment that is so common on the web. Coincidentally, I've just read two articles, from very different sources, pointing out how even a bit of venom can poison the discussion for everyone. One's from Stephen Fry's blog: No Comment. The second is from the Globe and Mail newspaper in Canada: Maybe it's time to muzzle the trolls. They both make similar points - though Mr. Fry uses more vivid language (nothing serious, but for any sensitive readers, you've been warned!).

TORn has been aware of this problem from the start, and it's thanks to our great admins that this place remains a haven of civilization in an increasingly troll-ridden online world.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Rosegarden1972
The Shire

Jun 11 2010, 7:35am

Post #4 of 7 (260 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is why this site is the only site that I have recommended to my newly Tolkien addicted 12-year old niece.

sador
Half-elven

Jun 11 2010, 11:54am

Post #5 of 7 (169 views)
Shortcut
Well, a lot depends on the members... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I joined TORn over two years ago, the leading voices in the RR were N.E. Brigand's and Curious', which is something to teach newbies both humility and manners. Small wonder that I am reasonably well-behaved.

But when you joined. the most active member around was, err, myself Blush - so you deserve full credit for being so respectful and civil!

More seriously, I share your feelings.
In fact, I am a member of another message board, which both has a range of topics more relevant to my daily life, and occasionally bears tangentially on my work; but in the last couple of months, in which RL is becoming more and more hectic - I dropped out of the other one, and while I have posted less on TORn than my wont, I still never quite left.
And more than anything else, it is the atmosphere of friendly and intelligent discussion which kept me around.

A fair warning: I am a nitpicker by taste, talents and profession.

"When Tolkien took me off on the big adventure I was enthralled. By the time he brought me back. I had returned home from Viet Nam and things had changed... at last things looked like they were going to change for the better. But my little town was gone. It was part of the world now."
- Kangi Ska.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 11 2010, 1:44pm

Post #6 of 7 (120 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this is like Gondolin... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when the rest of Beleriand has gone to heck. Smile

TORn has been aware of this problem from the start, and it's thanks to our great admins that this place remains a haven of civilization in an increasingly troll-ridden online world.

Lothlorian
Lorien

Jun 11 2010, 7:25pm

Post #7 of 7 (192 views)
Shortcut
I too appreciate the civility displated here [In reply to] Can't Post

I post regularly in another site which is far far less genteel. The tone here is quite different and posters here are very welcoming to newbies.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.