SCOD: June 8, 2010
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jun 9 2010, 2:53am

Post #1 of 35 (804 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: June 8, 2010 Can't Post

1. Edoras obviously took a lot of work, what do you think about it? It's such a shame that it all had to be taken down afterward. Any comments on the building of Edoras?
  2. The wind and cold seems to reflect Eowyn's sorrow, any thoughts?
  3. What about the music that plays during this scene, what do you think?
  4. Additional Comments?

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 9 2010, 3:17am

Post #2 of 35 (554 views)
Shortcut
Another shot that looks like a painting to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if you don't know the back story on who that woman is standing there, you still get the sense, just by looking at this image, that she's lonely and fragile, and waiting for something, gazing out like that; the scale of the setting, too, helps you think that she's like an actor on a stage, part of a bigger picture.

Of course, maybe someone else might look at this and figure she's just waiting for the pizza delivery guy!

Weaver

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jun 9 2010, 3:26am

Post #3 of 35 (533 views)
Shortcut
hahaha Weaver, love that about the pizza delivery man! lol [In reply to] Can't Post

yes it is very cool to see how clear it is to see something of what is happening just by the whole atmosphere of it

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2010, 3:30am

Post #4 of 35 (564 views)
Shortcut
first they pick a stunningly beautiful location [In reply to] Can't Post

then they make an amazing set
and on top of that an awe inspiring score

this has got to be one of the most beautiful scenes in the movie

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 9 2010, 4:59am

Post #5 of 35 (558 views)
Shortcut
Like a painting but not a painting [In reply to] Can't Post

Edoras obviously took a lot of work, what do you think about it? It's such a shame that it all had to be taken down afterward. Any comments on the building of Edoras?
It is a shame. I like how Sir Ian spoke of the set pieces as artifacts on the EEs.

The wind and cold seems to reflect Eowyn's sorrow, any thoughts?
For me, at this point in the films, Eowyn's mood and outlook seemed to be on the upswing. Aragorn (unbeknownst to him of course) had proved himself to be worthy of her affection and desire; despite the loss of life at Helm's Deep, her every thought seems bent on Aragorn and the wonderful future they would share.

What about the music that plays during this scene, what do you think?
A favourite theme. A simple motif really, but ancient, noble and haunting all at once.

Additional Comments?
I would love to have been there when this image was made. Edoras was one of the few sets/locations not pieced together with green screens and matte paintings.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jun 9 2010, 5:01am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 9 2010, 5:03am

Post #6 of 35 (1084 views)
Shortcut
And yet [In reply to] Can't Post

when I saw the film I thought the mountains were obviously a matt painting. Evidently they were too stunning for me to believe!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lord of Magic
Bree

Jun 9 2010, 8:05pm

Post #7 of 35 (550 views)
Shortcut
I was very impressed [In reply to] Can't Post

That the took the care that they did in making sure that when they were finished, it would look as if nothing had ever happened there.

3) The instruments that he used were fantastic(i forget the types of course) but I do remember that he used many that were original to New Zealand, including a fiddle that plays the main Rohan theme

Former Duke of Stardock, Overseer of the Paraphysical Army of Tokidoki, High Mage in Service to King Lyam conDoin I of Rillanon, The Absolute Lord, Ruler, and Sovereign of all Tokidoki.

The White Dragon and Arnölé, The Lord of All Magic

Jettorex
Lorien

Jun 9 2010, 8:11pm

Post #8 of 35 (539 views)
Shortcut
stunning [In reply to] Can't Post

the close up of Eowyns face in this scene gives me goosepimples every time i see it. Amazing.

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

squire
Half-elven

Jun 9 2010, 9:37pm

Post #9 of 35 (550 views)
Shortcut
All of "lower Edoras" was a matte painting [In reply to] Can't Post

But the most prominent part of the exterior set, the Golden Hall and the surrounding buildings and stables, was as you say built full scale in the middle of that landscape.

Remember that the interior of Theoden's hall was built on a sound stage. Eowyn's beautiful and dramatic race out onto the terrace was edited together from two stage sets and a "dressed location", with the shots taken probably weeks or months apart in time. In general, to say that a movie set was "pieced together with green screens and matte paintings" can be either a compliment or an insult. It depends solely on how well the pieces were put together! I thought Rivendell and Isengard (model and mattes) were just as successful as Edoras and Hobbiton (built on location).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jun 10 2010, 1:43am

Post #10 of 35 (523 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

they were very successful! The point I was trying to make was that being there, on set at Edoras, would have been very much like being at Edoras since it was a complete installation -- minus the bits you mentioned of course. Not a value judgement, no, because as you say, on film all the locations were successful. But being there, would have been less convincing in the pieced together locations than at Edoras or Hobbiton.

Sorry about the confusion.

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 10 2010, 2:11am

Post #11 of 35 (563 views)
Shortcut
a correction on instruments [In reply to] Can't Post

I do remember that he used many that were original to New Zealand, including a fiddle that plays the main Rohan theme

Actually, I don't think any instruments used were original to NZ. The fiddle used is a Hardanger fiddle which is from Norway. If you're curious, you can read more about the instruments here: http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...ents/instruments.htm

Shore did use Maori voices for Moria segments, however.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

Jun 10 2010, 3:29am

Post #12 of 35 (513 views)
Shortcut
from my own observations [In reply to] Can't Post

• Edoras obviously took a lot of work, what do you think about it? It's such a shame that it all had to be taken down afterward. Any comments on the building of Edoras? I also wish that I could have been there and seen it all set up, this scene is beautiful. Apart from Hobbits I love the people of Rohan. There's this noble beauty about them. The music and costumes and set design were wonderfully done for these people!!

• The wind and cold seems to reflect Eowyn's sorrow, any thoughts? It is obviously a sad part, and the beauty of the mountains are adding to it. The whole thing is beautiful and sad, heartwrenching. The music and mountains and wind and Eowyns expression all go beautifully!
  • The mountains here are amazing, it's incredible that there is anything so incredible, that is the place I want to go the most, Mt. Sunday. Reminds me of a quote from Cameron Duncan's DFK6498: "I dream of seeing things so beautiful that it hurts to watch them."
  • What about the music that plays during this scene, what do you think? It's some of my favorite from the soundtrack

• Additional Comments? I want to go to this place so bad, even though all the buildings aren't there anymore, the mountains are so georgeous it almost makes you cry

• Photobucket

Photobucket

SirDennisC
    Half-elven

Jun 10 2010, 4:37am

Post #13 of 35 (538 views)
    Shortcut
    Maori [In reply to] Can't Post

Maori is an anagram of Moria (or vice versa). Coincidence?

Nuradar
    Rohan

Jun 10 2010, 1:48pm

Post #14 of 35 (528 views)
    Shortcut
    an odd protrusion of rock [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think that Edoras (I forget the name of the real place in NZ) looks like a bizzare freak of nature. It's such a strange protrusion of rock in the middle of a huge expanse of flat land. At first I thought they "built" it for the movie, only to be shocked to find out it's actually real.

The Golden Hall is fantastic - love the horse motifs everywhere.

Nuradar

Ethel Duath
    Half-elven

Jun 10 2010, 3:27pm

Post #15 of 35 (548 views)
    Shortcut
    Oh My, Oh My! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew that was a Hardanger the minute I heard it in the movie, even though I'm not sure I'd ever heard one play. My dad sometimes talked about them and described them--and as soon as I heard the "violin-not-a-violin" sound with that deeper buzz (plus the Nordic setting), I knew. I could feel my hair start to stand on end with that incredible sound, and the wind and Edoras--time machine moment! The double fiddle I had no idea about. I listened to the clip, and tried to hear the 2 strings sounding at once, but I couldn't. (Even though they'd have been exactly the same pitch, there should have been a slight "tone color" difference, or a bit of a buzz, but it's very likely it wouldn't be audible without the best sound system (or in the Movie). Or, he's got nice wide fingertips that cover both strings so well, he managed to blend it perfectly!

Fascinating! (Said Spock). I sent the page link to my dad. He'll not only love it, but will likely come up with several opinions and theories about the whole thing!

Magpie
    Immortal

Jun 10 2010, 9:29pm

Post #16 of 35 (518 views)
    Shortcut
    Hardanger Fiddle tunes [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of 'em here.

And.. if you'd like to see some dancing to the Hardanger....

I find the music and the movement really thrilling, somehow. I can't do that dancing, btw.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
    magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Oiotári
    Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2010, 10:26pm

Post #17 of 35 (544 views)
    Shortcut
    It has a very distinctive sound to it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still working my way through all of the sound clips, almost there

The dance was nice to
    though I chuckled at the slightly out of place acrobatics
    I liked how the sounded footsteps timed to the music

and as a bonus, since I'm using Windows Media Player, there's purdy colors too Tongue

Ethel Duath
    Half-elven

Jun 11 2010, 5:15pm

Post #18 of 35 (446 views)
    Shortcut
    Well, this is strange, [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't get anything from theat web page to play, although the web page itself displays just fine. The second I click on a link ir goes to a mostly blank page with this in the upper left corner:

Download Attachment
    Click here to download your attachment.

So I click "here" and it seems to try to go somewhere, but it just "blinks" for minute and stays on this same blank page. I'm using Firefox, and it doesn't show that "allow" bar for this, or any other indication. Anyone have any ideas? ;(

Ethel Duath
    Half-elven

Jun 11 2010, 5:21pm

Post #19 of 35 (440 views)
    Shortcut
    Well, well, I got it to work in Camino! : / ??!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
    Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2010, 5:22pm

Post #20 of 35 (443 views)
    Shortcut
    I can tell you what happened when I opened them, if that helps [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm using Firefox as well

I got the same Google sites page
    I clicked on the "here" which brought up a box asking me what program I wanted to view the file with
    Windows Media Player was already selected, so I clicked okay and a screen with the music playing came up

that probably didn't help though

maybe Magpie can help, she's the tech wiz

Oiotári
    Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2010, 5:28pm

Post #21 of 35 (457 views)
    Shortcut
    if the internet made sense all the time, it wouldn't be nearly as fun ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
    Half-elven

Jun 11 2010, 5:43pm

Post #22 of 35 (448 views)
    Shortcut
    Do you know who Bela Bartok was? 4 of these tunes [In reply to] Can't Post

sound almost exactly like the music he dug up in Hungary and other parts of Eastern Europe when he and Zoltan Kodaly went around recording the indigenous folk music of the area (in the "Western World" what people thought of as Hungarian Folk music "back then" was really Romany style--also very cool; but not the same thing. The two areas on your website, Magpie, that sound like this are the first and last from "Hallingdal" and the first 2 from "Numedal" (Numenor?! Wink)

The others don't sound anything like it at all. The similarities are striking--intervals, timing--are these areas closer to, say old "Uralic Speaking" areas (controversial--but that's what it appears some linguists think Hungarian is a part of as a language family), or at least, areas that might have had influences/migrations out or in from Eastern Europe? I have loved Bartok's more folk-oriented music from early childhood; and I teach from a vioin method that has several pieces Bartok wrote/adapted based on the E. European folk music he discovered in his travels--so I really am quite sure of the simiarities. HMMMM!!Unimpressed

Ethel Duath
    Half-elven

Jun 11 2010, 5:47pm

Post #23 of 35 (434 views)
    Shortcut
    Just watched the dancing-- [In reply to] Can't Post

Love that big, round skirt puffing out!

Ethel Duath
    Half-elven

Jun 11 2010, 5:50pm

Post #24 of 35 (440 views)
    Shortcut
    Yes, Camino gave me that little box. Firefox wouldn't give it to me. I wants it Firefox my love. [In reply to] Can't Post

Give it to us--it's our birthday (not). Sly

Oiotári
    Tol Eressea

Jun 11 2010, 5:53pm

Post #25 of 35 (443 views)
    Shortcut
    but the box is its precsious... [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe you had already selected it to open files with a certain program, and that program wasn't appropriate for music files
    if that's the case there's probably a way to change that, somewhere in Firefox's menu whatchmacallit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.