Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Swords are of no use here!...so do you?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Swords are of no use here!...so do you?
Carry a firearm on you at all times?
Only have a firearm in your car?
Only have a firearm in your house?
Have a firearm in both car and house?
Just believe in pepper spary and non-leathal means?
Not believe in guns because no one will ever hurt me?
Still use a sword anyway?
View Results (49 votes)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 8 2010, 6:23pm

Post #1 of 92 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Swords are of no use here!...so do you? Can't Post

What?...Guns are the modern day bow and arrow...just a lot faster. Smile

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2010, 7:13pm

Post #2 of 92 (1219 views)
Shortcut
well I don't have a gun [In reply to] Can't Post

but not because I don't think anyone will ever try to hurt me
and I don't carry pepper spray either
though if it was a choice between and gun and pepper spray I'd choose the pepper spray

So I chose "still use a sword anyway"
seemed kind of appropriate, I do have training with a sword (not a longsword though)
but, they're not sharp (training swords), so they probably won't do me any good

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 8 2010, 7:23pm

Post #3 of 92 (1202 views)
Shortcut
No right or wrong answer. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just trying to come up with something unusual and interesting. I'm not advocating anything either way...in point of fact I have a 14ft. long Indiana Jones bull whip and that is plenty enough for me. I forgot the none of the above selection, but when I went back to edit...I could only edit my post, not the choices. Sorry. This is my first and most likely last poll. Blush

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Jun 8 2010, 7:24pm)

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2010, 7:28pm

Post #4 of 92 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Oh I know [In reply to] Can't Post

plus, even if you had put a "none of the above" options, I would have still picked the swords Wink

Bull whip Laugh

and you shouldn't stop making polls, this is a perfectly good poll Smile

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 8 2010, 8:26pm

Post #5 of 92 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Got rid of all guns...own 4 swords.// [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jun 8 2010, 8:30pm

Post #6 of 92 (1262 views)
Shortcut
If I owned a gun, I might be dead. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was mugged on my own street one night about fifteen years ago. The muggers pulled out their guns when they were only a few feet away from me. Had I a gun of my own, and attempted to draw it then, I would likely have been shot. And I could hardly have walked down the street with a gun drawn on the chance that I might be mugged by random passers-by.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2010, 9:20pm

Post #7 of 92 (1445 views)
Shortcut
I have Anduril [In reply to] Can't Post

My father has granted me full permission to skewer any intruder who comes through my door with it. I am not sure that will work out well XD

When I'm living alone by myself, though, I do plan on having a firearm in my house for self-defense only, especially if I end up living close to the city. You hear too many horror stories about women living alone. Not around with me in my purse, though, I'll just settle with pepper spray. And sharp pencils. XD

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 12:16am

Post #8 of 92 (1213 views)
Shortcut
20 years' experience w/swords, 49 years' experience w/all manner of people [In reply to] Can't Post

And if those two fail, I'm certain that if I NEED a firearm that my would-be assailants will be unhappy to provide me with one.

TheNazgul
Rivendell

Jun 9 2010, 1:32am

Post #9 of 92 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Sword!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya not really my parents wont let me have won (if the did let me I wouldEvil)

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 1:47am

Post #10 of 92 (1192 views)
Shortcut
That's a shame. My 7-year-old is already pretty good... [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect by the time he's 18 he'll be very close to being able to handle one well.

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2010, 2:00am

Post #11 of 92 (1207 views)
Shortcut
what kind of sword? // [In reply to] Can't Post

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 2:22am

Post #12 of 92 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Some with a toy Sting, some with a 14 inch dagger. [In reply to] Can't Post

weaver
Half-elven

Jun 9 2010, 2:25am

Post #13 of 92 (1188 views)
Shortcut
woah, that's scary... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if I'd ever get over something like that...Glad you weren't hurt!

Oiotįri
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2010, 2:27am

Post #14 of 92 (1282 views)
Shortcut
so is he "teaching" himself then? [In reply to] Can't Post

cute story told to me by one of the guys at my taekwondo center concerning his young daughter:
he (the dad) was asking her about how school went, she said "my taekwondo is getting real good" dad: "oh, who's teaching you" girl: "I am" Laugh Heart

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 5:52am

Post #15 of 92 (1275 views)
Shortcut
The first and best weapon [In reply to] Can't Post

is a sharp mind. And if you've got that, pretty much anything within reach can become a backup weapon of sorts. I can shoot and wield blade...but I can make do without.

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 8:30am

Post #16 of 92 (1229 views)
Shortcut
American gun laws... insane. [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jun 9 2010, 8:30am)

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 8:34am

Post #17 of 92 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Paranoia? [In reply to] Can't Post

In 18 years, nothing has happened to me. And I wander free. With no weapon.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 10 2010, 1:39am)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 9 2010, 12:05pm

Post #18 of 92 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Not paranoia, practicality. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" -Faramir

Here are the FBI's Crime Clock stats from 2008 (USA)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 9 2010, 12:09pm

Post #19 of 92 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Just out of curiosity, [In reply to] Can't Post

...in what way are American gun laws insane?

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 12:11pm

Post #20 of 92 (1175 views)
Shortcut
No, with a weapon I'd never allow him to self-teach... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though he's not bad at it with astro-sciences. He has a very good theory of black holes already.

GAndyalf
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 12:14pm

Post #21 of 92 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Eighteen years is a VERY short period, especially as most were as a child... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're only just beginning to go to places that are not well-known and well-kept. I do not advocate arms, but I understand the desire for safety that drives many to them. It is indeed a 'practicality' especially in some very highly populated areas, of which Sweden has no analogy because there aren't that many in the whole nation, much less a metropolitan area.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 1:18pm

Post #22 of 92 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Complicated answer [In reply to] Can't Post

In theory, I believe every adult has the right to carry a weapon, until, of course, they do something criminal to forfeit that right.

In practice, though, I don't like guns, and not for the reason you might think: They are simply too loud. I don't like firing anything stronger than a .22 up next to my head. I never have liked loud noises, and I don't generally carry ear plugs around with me in case I get accosted and need to shoot a perp. So, like Eowyn of Penn Woods, I'm not afraid to rely on my wits. Hey, bad guys are usually stupid, that's why they're bad guys. They've got nothing else going for them. Plus, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as they say. I realize things can happen no matter what, but making good choices about your activities in daily life can go a long way to prevent a situation.

In addition, Texas has a concealed carry law, which means you may carry a concealed handgun on your person. In order to obtain a concealed carry license, you must attend safety training and go through a background check. Opponents of the law swore up and down that shootings and crime would increase, but, in fact, they have decreased. If a perp has reason to believe you are armed, he is less likely to do something stupid.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba324 Quote: " when the arrest rates of Texas' concealed carry holders are compared with those of the general population, licensees are found to be more law-abiding than the average person."

If you really like reading statistics, go to the TX Department of Public Safety's websites and read this to see how licensed gun owners compare to the general overall population of Texas with regard to convictions.

I'd much rather have an armed citizenry than an unarmed one.

I'm off from cub scout day camp today, due to thunderstorms, but yesterday one of our stations was bb gun shooting. The moms get to shoot, too, and my group of boys were highly impressed when their den leader (me) completely shot out her bull's eye. Laugh

(This post was edited by Alassėa Eruvande on Jun 9 2010, 1:22pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 9 2010, 2:37pm

Post #23 of 92 (1162 views)
Shortcut
You are named well! // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 9 2010, 2:42pm

Post #24 of 92 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Uhm... everything about it. It's insane. You should not be allowed to carry/own a real gun. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 9 2010, 2:44pm

Post #25 of 92 (1198 views)
Shortcut
We Americans want to keep the myth of the wild west alive. [In reply to] Can't Post

After all what is a Saturday night without a few bar brawls and a couple shootin's. EvilEvilEvil

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.