Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
LOTRO goes Free to Play
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 6 2010, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 32 (889 views)
Shortcut
LOTRO goes Free to Play Can't Post

Just got back from a weekend hiatus and was able to check out the news: Turbine/WB is no longer requiring a subscription fee to play LOTRO!

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/

For those of us who subscribe, nothing will change as long as we continue our subscriptions. We'll be known as "VIPs" and will earn in-game perks to purchase fluff items.

For those who do not have an account, it's a way to play the game for free. This won't kick in until this fall, and F2P users will not have full, unlimited access to every aspect of the game. Think of this as an extended free trial.

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 6 2010, 8:48pm

Post #2 of 32 (480 views)
Shortcut
uh-oh [In reply to] Can't Post

one excuse not to try it out down the drain
because I know if I start, it will be hard to stop, as it sounds like an addicting game

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jun 7 2010, 8:26am

Post #3 of 32 (555 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhhhhhhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see they are going the D&DO (Dungeons and Dragon online) route. Interesting.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

House Stark

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 7 2010, 2:03pm

Post #4 of 32 (699 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you play DDO? Rumor has it since going F2P they've practically put a stop to developing end-game content. On the flip side, their financial situation has improved.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Jun 8 2010, 6:15am

Post #5 of 32 (425 views)
Shortcut
I did play or a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was getting harder and harder to continue within the game without grouping. I am just not a fan of grouping with strangers (at least at this point in my online gaming time. Since I am a novice to it all I just do not feel it right to hold back people. I know, I know, there are groups that will cater to people that are newer, etc. but I am just not comfortable yet...perhaps one day). I have begun to play WoW though...which I am having lots of fun with. With the right character one can just keep going on their own (which I like).

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

House Stark

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2010, 6:18am

Post #6 of 32 (462 views)
Shortcut
Should... [In reply to] Can't Post

be an interesting turn. I guess there will be alot more hobbits roaming the Shire this Fall!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

SwimIrish
The Shire

Jun 8 2010, 10:36pm

Post #7 of 32 (484 views)
Shortcut
What Aspects.. [In reply to] Can't Post

of the game will the free players not have access to?

"So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 8 2010, 11:34pm

Post #8 of 32 (574 views)
Shortcut
No PVP. [In reply to] Can't Post

The more recent releases -- Moria and Mirkwood -- will not be available to free players. (You can still purchase them.)

Here's a link to a chart showing a comparison of the different playing plans:

http://www.lotro.com/betasignup/vipchart.html

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Jun 8 2010, 11:36pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2010, 4:39pm

Post #9 of 32 (406 views)
Shortcut
Most will be available... [In reply to] Can't Post

to the free players, but a lot of the 'perks' will be avaiable for a price. The basic game is free. All the expansion packs are at a price, but everyone pays for those, even those of us who have paid memberships.

SwimIrish
The Shire

Jun 9 2010, 5:17pm

Post #10 of 32 (431 views)
Shortcut
Would you say... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's worth the monthly subscription or is it smarter just to play the limited version for free.

"So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 9 2010, 6:19pm

Post #11 of 32 (375 views)
Shortcut
Ultimately that's up to you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I mentioned earlier F2P doesn't take effect until this fall and I haven't been invited to the beta, so I can't offer any rock-solid advice. If you're looking to get into PvP, as Rosie mentioned, you have to pay. If you absolutely have to have priority access to the game servers, you have to pay (hey, I suppose that's a big deal to some). If you're curious about the game but unwilling to drop the $10 a month (Oiotari!) F2P is great news.

I do think, however, that starting out with the limited (free) version is a no-brainer for those that haven't yet played the game. With an email address and a download you can be running around in The Shire without financial commitments of any kind. If you ever reach the point of needing to expand your game beyond F2P, I'm sure you can always purchase the VIP status for yourself. Personally I'm of the opinion that some sort of purchase will eventually become necessary to fully realize the game, but then again I'm one who dropped a large amount of cash upfront to buy a lifetime subscription.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2010, 6:22pm

Post #12 of 32 (425 views)
Shortcut
Hey, whatcha looking at me for? [In reply to] Can't Post

anyways, what's PvP?
I google searched "define PvP" and I'm guessing it's player vs. player, but I don't know what that is... Smile

You can only come to the morning through the shadows

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2010, 6:29pm

Post #13 of 32 (378 views)
Shortcut
It really depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

on what you want to get out of the game I think.....if your into exploring every corner of middle earth, you'll most likely have to buy the expansion packs. If your ok just role playing in the Shire, Bree and a few other places like Thorin's Hall then the free portion will be more than enough. I haven't bought an expansion pack yet, meaning I have pretty much the basic game at this point and there are more than enough quests to keep me busy for now. And I spent months not seriously questing! I was fishing and roaming the Shire talking with other folks. Turbine does not have the entire map available to play yet, chunks of geography are becoming available with each new expansion pack. The expansion packs are about $20.00 each currently. If you wish to aid and follow the Fellowship of the Ring, I'm assuming you will most definitely need the expansion packs. I don't know enough to know if Turbine will be opening regions of the M-E map for free that don't involve the Ring or not though.
L.A. makes a great point though, it would be best to download it in the fall and get your feet wet and then decide if you want to throw some money at it.
I also have a lifetime membership, so I'll be interested to see how the Free Play works out. As lifers we've been promised quite a bit to make it worth the money we dropped early on....so we'll see......

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2010, 6:32pm

Post #14 of 32 (422 views)
Shortcut
I haven't done [In reply to] Can't Post

any PvP, but it stand for Player vs. Player. In game play we are unable to attack another player's character. So Turbine has set up a 'game within a game' where players can battle other players. Upon reaching a certain level this option becomes available to your character. L.A. will have a better, more definitive answer of course, but I believe you also have the option of playing as a monster in these 'battles', and not only as your created character.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 9 2010, 7:08pm

Post #15 of 32 (470 views)
Shortcut
Haha, you Googled! [In reply to] Can't Post

No shame there. Wink Donry is spot on; PvP stands for Player vs Player.

In LOTRO-speak, Turbine would have us all say "PvMP" instead: Player versus Monster Player. When they were designing the game, there was some fear that The Shire would be overrun with goblins/evil men from the "bad guy" faction, killing poor newbie hobbits as they went. Fortunately they didn't go the WoW route, as no human controlled Player may maliciously attack another player while in Middle-earth. The Free Peoples are all on the same side, and work together to squash orcs, goblins, and suspicious looking brigands in Bree.

As the game currently stands, upon reaching level 10 you're able to create a "Monster Player" toon. While in Monster Play (MP), you're basically playing the evil side of LOTRO. These monster players are limited to a single region of Middle-earth, the Entenmoors, just north of the Trollshaws. This is the place where anything goes. The monsters begin at the level cap, and can run quests to improve their skills. The "PvMP" aspect comes into play when your regular toons - the elves, dwarves, hobbits, men and women you level up - ride into the Entenmoors and engage in battle against the monster players. It gets pretty heated, and can be a fun change of pace from PvE (which I'm guessing stands for Player vs Environment).

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 10 2010, 1:59am

Post #16 of 32 (465 views)
Shortcut
I don't do much PVP. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are always so many players running around in there, both good guys (Free Peoples or Freeps) and bad guys (Creeps) that my computer can't keep up unless I turn the graphics and stuff way down. Plus, unless your regular player is level 65, there's not a whole lot of point in being out there (unless you're participating in a huge raid with a bunch of other people) because you'll just get your behind handed to you.

It's frustrating to me because a lot of the really good skills that would be really useful in PVP can't be used, and they keep making the monsters more and more powerful that it's hardly worth the effort (IMO).

SwimIrish
The Shire

Jun 10 2010, 2:13pm

Post #17 of 32 (360 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for... [In reply to] Can't Post

the advice. All of that is really helpful. One last question lol. Do you think turbine will ever complete the entire map of M-E (Gondor, Mordor, etc.) Thank you again for you help.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2010, 3:14pm

Post #18 of 32 (351 views)
Shortcut
I think.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Turbine will eventually open the entire map. People have taken to this game fairly seriously and I think Turbine will need to give them as much room to roam as possible. The serious 'gamers' will need to continue questing. The Tolkien fans will want to keep taking in the world of M-E. The environments are just gorgeous to look at, they really have done a great job creating Middle-Earth. So I think Turbine will have to keep opening up the map in order to keep the higher level players interested. I suppose there will be some who lose interest after they 'beat the game' so-to-speak and have completed the main quest-line and all the side quests. But I've not come across many of those folks to be honest. Most I've come across seem generally happy to just keep finding things to do. For example, on the forums for this game there are groups who are creating storylines for players to 'act' out. You can join in on some of this player created storylines or events by just checking the forums and then showing up at the right place in Middle-Earth at the right time. Players are creating festivals all the time for their characters to attend. There was one group on the Landroval server that created a huge open-market at a town square recently. They advertised it on the forums and welcomed all characters who wanted to shop for items or who wanted to sell items to join in on that given day. Now, in this particular case you'd have to be on the same server as them, but I think most servers are doing similar things (let us know if you unsure about the servers). There are pub-crawls, there are raiding parties, there are farmer's markets.....the players are really expanding the playing field throughout. I have never played any other online role-playing game, so its all pretty new to me. So some players will forever be content doing these types of things, but for those who want to explore and quest, Turbine will need to keep giving them some geography to do that.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 10 2010, 3:26pm

Post #19 of 32 (361 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read that the F2P model will bring in additional money, which will lead to the developers appeasing the player base with expansions.

Just a guess: If the game has continued success, they'll want to drag out their epic storyline as long as possible - 5 to 10 years maybe - so we'll be walking through the gates of Mordor about the time The Hobbit part one is released.

J/K, I think...

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 10 2010, 3:27pm

Post #20 of 32 (374 views)
Shortcut
You had a Landroval Farmers' Market?? Awesome. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2010, 4:31pm

Post #21 of 32 (424 views)
Shortcut
Definitely.... [In reply to] Can't Post

it makes no sense to have the main story line finish up next year.
As for the Farmer's market...yes. They happen on Landroval. The specific one I mentioned earlier was an open market, wasn't just farmers. So anyone with anything to sell could set up shop. The only problem was that the group of players running it were robbed. It was set-up in one of the housing districts in the Shire. And in order to make it run smoothly, the organizing group had left a couple of their houses open with their good stored in them. And as they ran out of merchandise, any one of the organizers could get what they needed from a given house without having to hassle the actual owner. Well somebody discovered this and cleared out a bunch of the houses. Now the organizing group was obviously furious. Eventually the player confessed but had already sold most of the goods to NPC vendors. So I believe his/her fate was going to be decided by the admins eventually. Now the interesting thing about it was - he/she pleaded they were just role-playing. Because this has happened before with these types of events BUT the thief in the other cases has always informed the organizers of the theft off line before they do it. So it becomes a role play within the game, and the goods are always returned in some way within the game. But this person made no effort to set up the theft so it could be role-played. Not sure how that one is going to sort itself out. Some folks lost a lot of expensive goods that they worked long and hard to make or find. Anyway, I like that aspect of Landroval. I haven't been able to be online for most of the big organized events happening, but I hope to do some of them down the road.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 10 2010, 7:41pm

Post #22 of 32 (373 views)
Shortcut
I hear that Landroval is THE place for role-playing. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my kinmates on Brandywine was grousing just the other day that they (whoever "they" are) were holding their RP party in Tinnudir where his level 6 couldn't go. Sly

RosieLass
Valinor

Jun 10 2010, 7:44pm

Post #23 of 32 (328 views)
Shortcut
I hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

And if they can drag it out for ten years, I'll be all the happier!

I've heard some people who are worried that Turbine/Warner Bros. is going to start catering to new players and ignoring the older, higher level players, because apparently that's what they see happening with Dungeons and Dragons.

I don't know anything about DDO, but I would think that at LotR game would be unique in that there is already an established plotline with a definite end point, so it's not like they have to rack their brains for where to take the game next.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2010, 8:01pm

Post #24 of 32 (353 views)
Shortcut
Apparently! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is unofficially known as the role-playing server. I'm horribly unexperienced with the whole 'gaming' world, so I figured I would join that server, as I role-played dice games for years. Thought I might be better off on Landroval. Its got varying levels of roleplaying, which is good.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 10 2010, 8:03pm

Post #25 of 32 (350 views)
Shortcut
I suppose.... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Mordor wouldn't be the end of the road either. I suppose the scouring of the Shire could/should also be in the game, maybe even the appendices would further a storyline.....re-forming of the joint kingdoms....Samwise re-planting the Shire....so there could be a lot of storyline to flesh out!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.