Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Directors that MUST NOT direct 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2010, 5:19am

Post #26 of 69 (310 views)
Shortcut
Michael Bay [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle George Lucas. I really love all of his work (well perhaps not Attack of the Clones, with a few in-movie exceptions) but he shouldn't do this.

Quentin Tarantino. Need I say anything?

Woody Allen. See above.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jun 3 2010, 6:56am

Post #27 of 69 (356 views)
Shortcut
You have forgotten Legend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mesh Legend with Gladiator, you have a good deal. Aliens, Legend, Gladiator and the films below. . . Epics, magic and monsters are old hat for him. I think he deserves serious consideration. . . as to Tim Burton. . . I wouldn't rule him out. I have trouble seing Johnny Depp as Bilbo Bagins, but I DO think Burton could pull of the mix of dark, whimsy, enchantment and comedy that will be requisite for this film.

In Reply To
I really like Scott but I think he would be wrong wrong wrong for The Hobbit. Gladiator, Robin Hood, and Kingdom of Heaven-like movies is what he does best. I doubt he would master fantasy.

George Lucas - No thanks...

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jun 3 2010, 1:30pm

Post #28 of 69 (292 views)
Shortcut
Rob Zombie // [In reply to] Can't Post

Wandering in the Elven Wood

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jun 3 2010, 1:31pm

Post #29 of 69 (291 views)
Shortcut
Oh! and Guy Ritchie // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven
Valinor

Jun 3 2010, 1:41pm

Post #30 of 69 (374 views)
Shortcut
Ron Howard - A big NO ... no, no, NO! [In reply to] Can't Post

and just to make sure Im being heard ...
NOOOOOOO!!

shadowdog
Rohan

Jun 3 2010, 2:42pm

Post #31 of 69 (357 views)
Shortcut
Tim Burton [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't have the three years or so that this would take clear on his schedule.

Elladan
Rivendell

Jun 3 2010, 3:24pm

Post #32 of 69 (311 views)
Shortcut
Who does? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously I doubt anyone but a retired director will have a 3 year clear schedule to up and move to New Zealand with in a few months. That will be one of the biggest things to deal with I think.

I honestly cant make any suggestions, I dont have a clue who has directed most things. Though I have to wonder if Cuaron read the prisoner of Azkaban before directing it, or just got someone to write a synopsis for him. I also have to worry about continuity as he seemed to change everything from the first 2 films, in direct conflict to the book, which is not something I want to see happen. To be fair though I thought all of the Harry Potter films were pale shadows of the books, getting paler all the time. Havent seen Children of men.

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Jun 3 2010, 3:42pm

Post #33 of 69 (287 views)
Shortcut
Jon Amiel [In reply to] Can't Post

He's given us countless timeless classics such as "The Man Who Knew Too Little" and "The Core." However having Bilbo journey to THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (aka Goblin Town) and back again, only to confront a "prosthetic" Smaug the Magnificent while unwittingly pretending to assassinate the Necromancer and finally drifting apart from his beloved Frodo upon his return to Bag End, would simply be too much.

To that I say, "Nay."

On the other hand, Bill Murray has always been my first choice for Bilbo.

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

(This post was edited by Legalize_Athelas on Jun 3 2010, 3:43pm)

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 3 2010, 3:52pm

Post #34 of 69 (278 views)
Shortcut
Goodbye GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

My original post was made in a thread that just got deleted, so my post went with it as part of the "collateral damage". As instructed by Altaira I'm reposting.

I've been laying low for a while. But, I want to say how shocked and saddened I am by GDT having to leave. I'm not angry with him in the least. In fact, I completely respect his position and we should all be frustrated with MGM and its shareholders for dithering to their own detriment. Very upsetting. But, after a couple of days of this sinking in I want to add my thoughts on a replacement.

My first choice is PJ. He may not have wanted to direct it originally, but he directed LOTR and has been heavily involved in the scripting for The Hobbit. Both he and GDT remain involved in the scripts which are practically finished (as I understand it). My first choice would always have been PJ from the beginning, but I had fallen in love with the idea of GDT bringing his vision to the project. Some of that will still exist via the script and the pre-production creatures and design.

However, I am really unhappy with some of the typical names being thrown around for replacement director. I'd much prefer someone like Alfonso Cuaron because, again, as I understand it, he does not have a giant ego and has handled similar material to the Hobbit in the shape of HP3. I do not agree that he would distort the movie away from the book. I believe that as the script is already set in place, any divergence from the book has already been fairly well set in stone. But, based upon the style of HP3, this would fit comfortably, for me, with the Hobbit and still flow with LOTR. I can definitely accept / give a chance to Cuaron.

People like Ron Howard, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, etc etc are all very big personalities with very big movies and I hope for something a bit more intimate and personal than what I've come to expect from these guys. Who will be suggested next? Michael Bey? Please no.

So, PJ or Cuaron for me are the best suggestions so far. Whoever is chosen in the end, I wish them the best of luck.

I am embarking on a journey to become an extra in The Hobbit films. My journey shall be chronicled here at TheOneRing.net in these forums. You'll hear the story of my successes and failures as I try to get a walk on or minor role. Contact rod.hannah@gmail.com

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 3 2010, 3:54pm

Post #35 of 69 (272 views)
Shortcut
I actually know Rob Zombie and this idea is just scary. So no. Even tho he's a friend. - NT [In reply to] Can't Post

I am embarking on a journey to become an extra in The Hobbit films. My journey shall be chronicled here at TheOneRing.net in these forums. You'll hear the story of my successes and failures as I try to get a walk on or minor role. Contact rod.hannah@gmail.com

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jun 3 2010, 3:59pm

Post #36 of 69 (271 views)
Shortcut
Exactly why I mentioned him in this thread. ;-)// [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Jun 3 2010, 4:01pm

Post #37 of 69 (315 views)
Shortcut
"Who does"? [In reply to] Can't Post

exactly. This is a big chunk of time for anybody to have to MOVE to a different country or miss seeing his family. Are ya listening, Pete?
Who more convenient, my dear man?

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

merklynn
Lorien

Jun 3 2010, 4:03pm

Post #38 of 69 (266 views)
Shortcut
Well, I wholeheartedly agree! - NT [In reply to] Can't Post

One Forum to Rule Them All.

deej
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2010, 7:40pm

Post #39 of 69 (278 views)
Shortcut
Not Kevin Smith [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually like Kevin's films, but he would NOT be a good fit for The Hobbit!

"...and back again."

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jun 3 2010, 9:09pm

Post #40 of 69 (252 views)
Shortcut
You beat me to it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rewatching Episode III a few days ago on t.v. just made the bile rise up in my throat. So much wasted potential. I don't want to be saying that about The Hobbit three years from now (or ten years, if current delays are any indication).

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Jun 3 2010, 9:16pm

Post #41 of 69 (265 views)
Shortcut
But without explosions how does the story move forward? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frankly every time I see something explode now a little voice in the back of my head perks up and says "Michael Bay!"

In fact I think Michael Bay was the target audience for the newest Iron Man movie. At least, that was how I summed up my experience of it Crazy

But you are what you love,
And not what loves you back.
And I'm in love with illusions
So saw me in half.
I'm in love with tricks
So pull another rabbit out your hat.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 3 2010, 11:34pm

Post #42 of 69 (257 views)
Shortcut
How can this thread possibly have gone on so long without any mention of ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gawker.com's favorite "fauxteur," Brett Ratner? I mean, seriously, where's the love?

Oh, wait. You can find it on Gawker yourself, and you don't even have to look very far. I don't dare post a link, though. Evil

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Jun 3 2010, 11:34pm)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 4 2010, 12:38am

Post #43 of 69 (238 views)
Shortcut
Is Kevin Costner a no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dances with Wargs or maybe Gollum's Waterworld?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 4 2010, 1:32am

Post #44 of 69 (225 views)
Shortcut
Woody Allen? [In reply to] Can't Post

So... the Shire is in New York now? ;) I can see the Company trekking round and round in Central Park... And Smaug's waiting for them at the top of the Rock. Elrond would make a great therapist :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 4 2010, 3:24pm

Post #45 of 69 (235 views)
Shortcut
Tim Burton [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't rule him out... also, M. Knight Shamalan might be an interesting possibility...?

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 4 2010, 3:26pm

Post #46 of 69 (208 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't rule him out [In reply to] Can't Post

He knows how to move a story line forward very well

sphdle1
Gondor

Jun 4 2010, 3:33pm

Post #47 of 69 (223 views)
Shortcut
Garry Marshall [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 4 2010, 4:15pm

Post #48 of 69 (199 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Robin Hood IS fantasy, you know... :)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 4 2010, 4:22pm

Post #49 of 69 (232 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean, as opposed to the rest of the HP films? The soulless, color-by-numbers films?

In Reply To
He caused the downfall of Harry Potter, don't want him doing the same to Tolkien. Why Mr. Editor of TORN suggested him I will never know. Picking him would mean taking out all the plot points we love about the Hobbit and replacing them with un-needed filler and failed humor.

carnivorousrabbit
The Shire

Jun 4 2010, 4:47pm

Post #50 of 69 (239 views)
Shortcut
The third one was the worst out of all of them [In reply to] Can't Post

The first and second were the closest to decent. They felt the like the books and had a soul. Fourth movie I feel they were kind of trying but failed. Fifth and six had no soul. But nothing compares to the vast empty void that is the third movie. Mr. Alfonso was the first to break continuity and to twist the books to the director's messed up liking that breaks character. Maybe I'm bias cause the third book was my favorite (as I hear from a lot of people) and he destroyed it, maybe I'm not cause I've lost feeling for the series. Either way, Alfonso for the Hobbit would be disastrous. His style didn't work for Harry Potter, and wouldn't work for Tolkien.

Many a FALSE STEP is made by STANDING STILL.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.