hobbit movie GDT
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

pasi
The Shire

Jun 3 2010, 8:48pm

Post #1 of 151 (79729 views)
Shortcut
hobbit movie GDT Can't Post

I have just think that there is something strange in GDT decision.
1- The GDT contract?
2- The Hobbit is not so important to GDT to wait a little more?
3- Perhaps he now somethig about the all hobbit movie that we donīt now, ex: there is no Hobbit movie
4- The leaving of GDT puts PJ in a dificult position to all people involved, GDT don't care?
5- He simple leave the place?
6- They left behind is "drawing book"?
7- In movie business all people involved now that the delay in the production is "normal"
8- Think: If hapenned a little "tragedy" during the shooting, like great rain and for that reason they have to wait 3 or 6 months, he leave the movie???

There is something behind the curtains, and I think that they involved PJ
Remember Aragorn casting...
Remenber again Looney Bones

For me I donīt understand the GDT position and I donīt like it.

( sorry for my poor english)
pasi (Portugal)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 3 2010, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 151 (71919 views)
Shortcut
pasi: I think that we need to wait to hear from GDT. [In reply to] Can't Post

He promised to post a longer explanation this week here on TorN. Maybe then he will even answer questions that we all have

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

pasi
The Shire

Jun 3 2010, 9:04pm

Post #3 of 151 (72964 views)
Shortcut
The explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your information...

Is a GDT explanation?

But way donīt he explain the all reasons in NZ.

Wy we have to wait so many days.

PJ had the nerve and the courage to put the LOTR in action, remember the LOTR history.

We need a person like PJ to do the hobbit.
We need a director who loves Tolkien like PJ.

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 3 2010, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 151 (76635 views)
Shortcut
The situation is hardly as simple [In reply to] Can't Post

As GDT "not caring." He does care. Any man who spends two years scripting and designing a movie, and even taking time out of his schedule to post on a fansite, clearly cares.

Understand that Hollywood is a complex system. I would imagine that if GDT had no plans for future projects, he'd be more inclined to wait a little bit longer for the Hobbit issues to get sorted out. But the fact of the matter is - that's not the case. He has a contract with Universal studios to deliver several projects for them over the course of the next several years. The only reason he was able to take on The Hobbit was because, originally, it wouldn't have conflicted with that agreement. But now it does. You can't begrudge him for having his hands tied. It's unfair to expect a director to put his life on hold for six years when he has other commitments.

Nobody wanted it to come to this, least of all GDT. So please don't suggest that he just walked away because he wanted to.

(This post was edited by duats on Jun 3 2010, 9:14pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 3 2010, 9:12pm

Post #5 of 151 (71209 views)
Shortcut
I know it is GDTs explaination but it is a good place to start. [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to hear from Peter Jackson and anyone else involved as well. Even then we may never know all of the story.

Kangi Ska

Woodyend
Gondor

Jun 3 2010, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 151 (83624 views)
Shortcut
2- The Hobbit is not so important to GDT to wait a little more? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have just think that there is something strange in GDT decision.
1- The GDT contract?
3- Perhaps he now somethig about the all hobbit movie that we donīt now, ex: there is no Hobbit movie
4- The leaving of GDT puts PJ in a dificult position to all people involved, GDT don't care?
7- In movie business all people involved now that the delay in the production is "normal"
8- Think: If hapenned a little "tragedy" during the shooting, like great rain and for that reason they have to wait 3 or 6 months, he leave the movie???

There is something behind the curtains, and I think that they involved PJ
Remember Aragorn casting...
Remenber again Looney Bones

For me I donīt understand the GDT position and I donīt like it.

( sorry for my poor english)
pasi (Portugal)

Well his contract was for 3 years two movies. Now with all the problems, the 3 years has became 6 years.

By the way your English is much better than you think. Welcome too our board!

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

pasi
The Shire

Jun 3 2010, 9:21pm

Post #7 of 151 (80485 views)
Shortcut
GDT versus Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for your explanation.
Yes, hollywood is a complex system.
During the past years I dream for the hobbit movie, and for that reason I'm so furious about that situation.
The MGM situation and now the GDT leaving.

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 3 2010, 9:24pm

Post #8 of 151 (75970 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm furious as well. But at the end of the day, the film industry is a business.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 3 2010, 9:56pm

Post #9 of 151 (124270 views)
Shortcut
RE your issues: [In reply to] Can't Post

1- The GDT contract?
We don't know the details, but it was originally for 3 years, which are almost up, and still no start date. Who knows how much longer it will be?

It isn't "a little", it's some unknown number of years more, and as others have noted, he has other commitments that he cannot ignore without destroying his reputation.

Well, a great deal of work has been done by a lot of people assuming it will happen, even in the absence of a formal "green light" to the project. The studios know that this movie has the potential to make a great deal of money, which the studios desperately need.

I'm sure it's because he does care that he stuck with the project so long in spite of the delays.

He has said he would stay long enough to help with the scripts. The scripts are theoretically finished; I assume this means help with revisions that may become necessary (as is always the case).

A good deal more than that, I think. Thousands of designs, models of creatures, all the work that's been done at Hobbiton (documented by photos here on TORn), many man-years of effort at this point. And the scripts too, of course.

Delays do happen. Some are more serious than others. In this case, a studio that owns half the rights to the picture is in extreme financial and legal difficulty. That's a lot worse than the usual delays.

Those are the sorts of delays that commonly occur in films. LotR suffered several such problems. Usually the response is to shift the schedule to parts of the project that the "tragedy" doesn't directly affect. As I noted above, the MGM problem is much more serious. Whether there are other difficulties as well, we do not know.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 3 2010, 10:33pm

Post #10 of 151 (86118 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused about the three years versus six years [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that PJ mentioned that in his part of the statement, but I'm afraid it doesn't quite make sense to me. If I understand correctly, when GdT first signed up for the project in April of 2008, the time line was to have the shooting start this spring, the first film be released in December 2011, and the second film released in December 2012 (with, perhaps an extended edition bringing the time line out even further). So that was a commitment of at least almost five years. Now that has been extended by one year, since the current plan is to start filming in November, release the first film in December 2012, and the second one in December 2013. So the appearance seems to me that the commitment has gone from four-five years to five-six years, not three to six. Still a significant increase, but much, much smaller than is being described. That is one of the main reasons that I can't help but be suspicious of this whole situation. As much as I respect PJ and GdT, what they are saying doesn't seem to add up to me.

Also, while you and others have said that his contract was for three years, I seriously doubt that there is such a specification in the contract. Of course, I haven't seen the contract, and it may well have some kind of a provision that gives GdT an "out" if the project is delayed beyond a specific point, but I doubt that it is a "three year contract" (nor does that makes sense given that the original time line was for much more than three years).

I do want to emphasize that I don't mean to jump on you, Elizabeth. This post is not meant specifically in response to you, but is simply an expression of the thoughts that I have been having as I ponder what has been going on and the discussions about it here and elsewhere. I am not meaning to spread any kind of rumors (unsubstantiated or otherwise), or to call anyone a liar. I do hope that we get some more specific explanations that help clear up these questions soon, although I don't really expect that we will ever know the full truth.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 3 2010, 10:47pm

Post #11 of 151 (70123 views)
Shortcut
I assume PJ was speaking off-hand and not being precise. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure a more detailed description will be forthcoming.

Kangi Ska

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jun 3 2010, 10:55pm

Post #12 of 151 (77302 views)
Shortcut
Not being precise is one thing, [In reply to] Can't Post

being off by this much is another altogether.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2010, 11:01pm

Post #13 of 151 (83100 views)
Shortcut
"we have to wait so many days" [In reply to] Can't Post

because GdT probably has a lot going on right now
his top priority probably isn't explaining his decision to a fan site

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 3 2010, 11:22pm

Post #14 of 151 (117466 views)
Shortcut
He did say this week...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 3 2010, 11:26pm

Post #15 of 151 (71329 views)
Shortcut
yes, I know he did [In reply to] Can't Post

and there are still days left in this week

I would guess that it's a high enough priority that it will get done
but then again, I don't know any more about GdT's priorities than anybody else on this board (except GdT of course)

pasi
The Shire

Jun 3 2010, 11:31pm

Post #16 of 151 (77961 views)
Shortcut
hobbit movie GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

Again , many thanks for your time and explanations.

I understand that there is stronge reason for GDT doing what he do, and of course that "time" is very important to directors such GDT.
I lived in Portugal and the movie business is my country is a "passion"
The directors in Portugal love the films like the sons.
1- What I mead for the GDT contract, is: The GDT made the contract with who? of course that we donīt now, I cannot understand a major studio like WB or MGM doing a contract without a clause prevent a situation like this, and we all knew MGM situation.
2- I insist that the Hobbit is just another movie to GDT, not a passion like PJ had with LOTR.
3- I think GDT knew whats gone hapened with the hobbit movie...
4- Yes, but GDT during this time do many others thinks, promoting movies, write books, and so one. He travels for many places, festivals and other kind of promotion. I have some dificulties in acept the "time" for a god reason to leave the hobbit. He try to negociate the others projects that he have im hands?( of course that is dificult to now)
5- Please... If we knew PJ, the next script revision is going to be made by the next director.
6- The designs, model and others drawings belongs to the producers, again I like to "see" the contract.
7 - Of course that one part of the deals is in trouble: The studio..."half studio". Wy donīt prevent the delais situation? It can hapenned.
8- Many movies have delais in the shooting, "Apocalipse Now" and others. but I understand that is a diferent situation.

In the past I agree with the choice of GDT for the Hobbit director, but for all reason that he had, he ( sorry for this ) in fact leave the hobbit in a bad situation.

If PJ cannot find a director, and it's not easy knowing what GDT left behind, he have to negociated with a lot of peolpe to direct the movie... or stop the all production.

Best

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 3 2010, 11:34pm

Post #17 of 151 (75652 views)
Shortcut
-Most Likely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I want to hear from Peter Jackson and anyone else involved as well. Even then we may never know all of the story.

I've been secretly keeping my fingers crossed that this may have in fact been a ploy to pressure the studios into a greenlight sooner then later...however unlikely and absurd it is...I'm still hoping they may lure GDT back.

pasi
The Shire

Jun 3 2010, 11:39pm

Post #18 of 151 (116676 views)
Shortcut

Many thanks for your explanation and help Voronwe_the_faithful and Elisabeth
Best
pasi.

pasi
The Shire

Jun 3 2010, 11:43pm

Post #19 of 151 (119798 views)
Shortcut

In fact it can happened.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 3 2010, 11:53pm

Post #20 of 151 (80956 views)
Shortcut
Eucatastrophy...my secret wish also...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

pasi
The Shire

Jun 3 2010, 11:54pm

Post #21 of 151 (77744 views)
Shortcut

In fact this fan site is more important in this all business than you think, my friend.
If you read the "Frodo Franchise" you understand the logical of the fan sites in the movie business, and the circulation of information. The speed of the information is fantastic as we all now. And GdT use this fan site to leave the first peace of the game. There is a book from a man called Manuel Castells - " A sociedade em rede" ( The net society) that explain the importance of the net and the circulation of information in our society
best
pasi

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 4 2010, 12:29am

Post #22 of 151 (72436 views)
Shortcut
Its that Hobbit years versus Human years thingy.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 4 2010, 12:30am

Post #23 of 151 (73529 views)
Shortcut
maybe we just need to post it on the Eucatastrophy thread [In reply to] Can't Post

if we say it happened, then it must have... right? Wink
yeah, I just decide to believe that's how it works Tongue

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 4 2010, 1:19am

Post #24 of 151 (72952 views)
Shortcut
Just speculation, but perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

it means that GDT originally committed to be living in NZ for three years - long enough to get through pre-production and the main directing part of things and then the editing could be done remotely or by "commuting" at intervals? It could be the living-in-NZ part of this that is really causing the crunch, if his other commitments will require him to be in a different hemisphere for substantial chunks of time. Maybe he just can't afford to be that far away for an indefinite (and increasing) period of time waiting on a greenlight.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 4 2010, 1:25am

Post #25 of 151 (69279 views)
Shortcut
This seems well thought out and reasonable [In reply to] Can't Post

and (since it is my leading theory as to what happened) I do agree that it is a good explanation. SlySly

Kangi Ska

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.