Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Movies with LOTR references
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

May 28 2010, 5:26pm

Post #26 of 38 (215 views)
Shortcut
The French and The Saunders: Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of "not just references", British comediennes Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders (of "Absolutely Fabulous" fame) made a hilarious (IMO) parody of PJ's "Fellowship of the Ring", which may be viewed here on YouTube. It's about 19 minutes long, but worth the hootworthy watch with its send-up of both the movie and book, including an obscure blink-if-you-miss-it reference to The Silmarillion.

Magpies_alphabet

Gothmog and Draugluin in the Silmarillion Writers' Guild Newsletter

Magpie
Immortal

May 28 2010, 5:33pm

Post #27 of 38 (263 views)
Shortcut
Just curious: [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there anyone interested in collating these references into a organized, cohesive list? Is there anyone (or more than one) interested in continuing (past the life of this thread) to add to such a list?

Is such a list useful for future reference? Or is the fun in creating the list and it's more fun... 18 months down the road to just recreate it? Seriously, there is, I believe some pleasure in conjuring up items in a category like this and maybe a permanent reference list isn't of that much use or interest. Or at least not enough use for anyone to volunteer to do it! :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 28 2010, 10:00pm

Post #28 of 38 (202 views)
Shortcut
I wonder . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Has it already been done as it has for music?

tolkien-music.com/

TORn should have such an area on its site, or where you thinking to house it with all those mathoms?

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Magpie
Immortal

May 28 2010, 10:06pm

Post #29 of 38 (310 views)
Shortcut
no reason to reinvent the wheel but you were reading my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

When a body of information coalesces in a thread like this, it seems a shame to let it fade from memory. We could find a place for such stuff on the Mathom-house and I'm not sure it's all that inappropriate. TORn has a history of supporting other fan efforts so why not the Mathom-house. And the wiki format is perfect for this sort of information gathering.

My only concern is, we are so early in getting work done on the Mathom-house's proper mission I hate to divert energy away from it. But if someone were keen to document this information in some way, I could easily find a place for it on the Mathom-house. Information on that other site need not be duplicated on ours but we could link to it to make our page as complete as possible.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 4:58am

Post #30 of 38 (208 views)
Shortcut
Futurama... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bender's Game video has a ton of LOTR references....

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

May 29 2010, 6:34am

Post #31 of 38 (329 views)
Shortcut
A book anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz has a reference to Melkor in the prologue. Oscar is a nerd who loves Tolkien so much he can write Elvish.

The song 96,000 from the Broadway musical "In the Heights" has a reference to Frodo and the Shire.

(This post was edited by Arwen Skywalker on May 29 2010, 6:36am)

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 3:16pm

Post #32 of 38 (168 views)
Shortcut
hee hee hee That was funny! Thank you!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

Anorien
Rohan

May 31 2010, 11:15pm

Post #33 of 38 (206 views)
Shortcut
Men Who Stare at Goats [In reply to] Can't Post

When Bob the journalist leaves his home he says he feels like "a hobbit leaving the Shire" or something like that. It made me very happy the first time I heard that Smile

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 7:47pm

Post #34 of 38 (160 views)
Shortcut
*waves hand* I know that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to post that reference myself. It was in "New Tricks", a delightful British crime/mystery series. The concept is that three retired police officers (male) form a cold case squad under the supervision of a younger female officer. The characters and their interactions are great.

The bit that WG saw was two of the officers trying to get in to talk to a shell-shocked veteran whose grasp of reality was, to say the least, tentative. Brian Lane, the officer who said the Frodo and Gimli line, is the OCD, ex-alcoholic character -- a little off the wall himself, but very intelligent and well-read. In giving those names to the veteran (at the front door, via intercom) he was making fun not of the veteran but of his companion, fellow officer Gerry Standing, who is a fast-living playboy sort with little patience with Brian's imaginative enthusiasms.

I was also going to mention the Simpsons' episode with the cardboard box Helm's Deep and bits of the actual soundtrack, but someone got that first, too.

Are non-fiction programs eligible? Anthony Bourdain mentions LotR at least twice in his No Reservations travel/food series. In the Laos episode, he says that a misty landscape reminds him of Middle Earth. And he does a short but funny take-off of LotR in his New Zealand episode.

Likewise, one of the NZ episodes in the travel series Globe Trekker does a scene with the guide, Zay Harding (I think his name is) finding the Ring and fleeing two Nazgul, one of whom unmasks and turns out to be Jane Abbot, who was Arwen's riding double in the movies.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 2 2010, 4:40pm

Post #35 of 38 (151 views)
Shortcut
Yummie! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great! They need to add the group that's often affiliated with Windham Hills called Shadowfax.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jun 2 2010, 6:25pm

Post #36 of 38 (194 views)
Shortcut
You should e-mail them G-ma [In reply to] Can't Post

They rely on people to update them and usually credit them. If you are sure it isn't there, send it in!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jun 3 2010, 10:17am

Post #37 of 38 (218 views)
Shortcut
Cool! I'll do that :D Danka! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Celedor
Rivendell

Jun 7 2010, 12:08pm

Post #38 of 38 (208 views)
Shortcut
References [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie The NeverEnding Story (1984) mentions The Lord of the Rings. Also of interest: LOTR is mentioned by in the writers' commentary track for Back to the Future Part 2 (1989) which came out the same time The Two Towers was released theatrically. (Elijah Wood is in both films.) Then in the writers' commentary track for The Two Towers, Peter Jackson references Back to the Future Part 2 (specifically the storytelling device used to open the film.)

On another note, I was reading 25 year old paperback a while ago that's a tie in to a cartoon show I used to watch in the 80s (Robotech), and it referenced The Lord of the Rings quite specifically, with the protaganist considering chasing after his abducted friends "like Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas chasing the Orcs across the plains of Rohan." It really stunned me to read that, because you didn't have that many kind of specific references to Tolkien at that time. Before the movies, I always felt that Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf, Bilbo, and Frodo were somewhat known to the public, but the specifics beyond that weren't a huge part of popular culture.

-Celedor-
www.jwbraun.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.