Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who will helm 'The Hobbit'?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jun 1 2010, 3:29pm

Post #1 of 142 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Who will helm 'The Hobbit'? Can't Post

In case you were unplugged and off the information grid all weekend, TheOneRing.net broke the story that Guillermo del Toro has stepped away from directing duties on two planned (hoped for) films based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit.” We are assured (by one of the super-good inside sources) that GDT’s DNA in the form of script and design and pre-viz work will remain in place, new director willing. And why would they find a director who isn’t willing or wants to revisit the same work?

After getting over the shock and feeling the loss of our message board member’s departure, and wishing him all the best, the question now becomes: Who will direct “The Hobbit”? We have some ideas and maybe even some insights.

Peter Jackson:
Current Hobbit co-writer and producer, he says he will not let the project fall apart but he told the Dominion Post: “If that’s what I have to do to protect Warner Bros’ investment, then obviously that’s one angle which I’ll explore.” It sounds like Jackson is reassuring Warners and fans not to despair. Conversations with the studios and Jackson on a replacement have already started and it isn’t as though there aren’t talented directors who would want to tackle these films. For example . . .

Neil Blomkamp:
His “District 9″ came from the ashes of the failed “Halo” film, with Peter Jackson producing and earned an Academy Award nomination for “Best Picture.” Jackson thought the young director could handle the giant, special-effects-heavy video game film and then he made the independently-financed Wikus Van De Merwe film with down-on-their-luck aliens who crave cat food in Johannesburg. It earned over $200 million worldwide. Imagine what he could do with Weta and a budget. (And, we note, little or no studio interference!)

Sam Raimi:
This man is a true geek (in a good way) and before del Toro was signed, we kept hearing his name as a strong possibility for “The Hobbit”. He has made action-oriented films with lighthearted moments and has nailed genre characters while producing big-time profits for studios. Fans who haven’t forgiven him for “Emo” Peter Parker need to have a guffaw with him for “From Hell. He gets it. Would he direct after not being the first choice? Bruce Campbell as Bard the Bowman?

Alfonso Cuaron:
A lot of fans (and one would assume studio types) would love to see GDT’s friend step in to fill the gap. The director of a book-adapted Harry Potter film that runs circles around the rest in the series and especially the transcendent “Children of Men,” would be welcome. But unless this MGM situation gets settled soon (and we maintain from whispers that it might), what advice do you think he would hear from his pal Guillermo?

Andrew Adamson:
It seems almost impossible that Adamson could direct and produce Narnia movies and Shrek movies and then fly under the radar as well as he has. Like Jackson, he calls New Zealand home and is based just a short flight up the island in Auckland. He already has extensive experience with Weta (LOTR’s, Narnia’s and the Hobbit’s special effects house) and might make the smoothest transition to helm the films. He may lack the “edge” that del Toro and Jackson and even Raimi and Blomkamp have shown in their bodies of work or it may be that he just hasn’t had the opportunities. Still, it seems impossible not to have him in the conversation.

Steven Spielberg
and James Cameron are unlikely candidates despite what some fans wish for. Jackson’s circle of friends is pretty interesting though and Cameron raves about working in New Zealand and with Weta but there is nothing to suggest either of these busy guys are an actual possibility. Other names are being thrown around the internet wildly. Some are guesses, some are speculation and some are completely absurd. Hey! Why not Woody Allen? He directs movies after all!

Remember, Jackson wasn’t a proven big-budget commodity when New Line took a chance on “The Lord of the Rings,” more than 10 years ago. He had directed some splatter films, “Heavenly Creatures,” and “The Frighteners,” before New Line handed over the reigns. He appreciates and develops unheralded talent and may pull a director out of his hat. Imagine the size and scope of what “Halo,” would have been and he was perfectly willing to let the unknown Blomkamp have a go. Remember too that the project fell apart because the studios couldn’t come to terms on how to divide the (probably) billions with each other and it had nothing at all to do with the rookie director.

To be clear, the project lives on, Guillermo’s and Jackson’s influence remain and “The Hobbit” will go forward with a new director. Who? When? Stay tuned and you will know when we do.

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Jun 2 2010, 12:04am)

Anduril1993
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 9:47pm

Post #2 of 142 (860 views)
Shortcut
DIRECTORS.......... [In reply to] Can't Post

their are many directors that could create the motion picture we all want such as Steven spielberg or any of the others but the only special one and the one we all want to direct the two hobbit movies is Peter Jackson because of his mind blowing work of bringing the Lord of the rings trilogy to life.

i was known as hary786118

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shal be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Doriath
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 9:53pm

Post #3 of 142 (818 views)
Shortcut
The only choices from that list [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ, GDT or Cuaron

The Trees will have their revenge!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 9:55pm

Post #4 of 142 (840 views)
Shortcut
Please be careful using "we" [In reply to] Can't Post

Not every person, not every fan, not every member of these boards wants to see PJ direct The Hobbit films. Some of them disliked his version of LOTR and some of them would just prefer to let someone else have a turn in Middle Earth. Let's not put words in their mouths, shall we?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 9:59pm

Post #5 of 142 (863 views)
Shortcut
I'll go back to my original stance before GDT signed on [In reply to] Can't Post

The director's chair is PJ's if he wants it, but personally my first choice has been Alfonso Cuaron from the beginning. Of course, if he's not interested and PJ doesn't want to direct, I hope they can find someone as enthusiastic for the project as GDT seemed. Just waiting, now.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for June

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 10:45pm

Post #6 of 142 (775 views)
Shortcut
Additions in no particular order: [In reply to] Can't Post

Tony Gilroy-Michael Clayton

Joel & Ethan Coen "No Country for Old Men", "Fargo" "Hudsucker Proxie" & Many many others others.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Lord of Magic
Bree

Jun 1 2010, 11:23pm

Post #7 of 142 (769 views)
Shortcut
I have to say [In reply to] Can't Post

that Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban was the worst Harry Potter movie that has come out. So, for me, Cuaron is a definite 'no!' However, I absolutely loved 'Drag Me to Hell' and would definitely put my support behind Raimi. I was impressed by Adamson's first Narnia movie, but I don't think the feeling behind that and the Shrek movies would work well with the Hobbit.

Former Duke of Stardock, Overseer of the Paraphysical Army of Tokidoki, High Mage in Service to King Lyam conDoin I of Rillanon, The Absolute Lord, Ruler, and Sovereign of all Tokidoki.

The White Dragon and Arnölé, The Lord of All Magic

Doriath
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 11:31pm

Post #8 of 142 (796 views)
Shortcut
Cuaron's Potter... [In reply to] Can't Post

is when the HP movies finally started getting good.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 11:32pm

Post #9 of 142 (733 views)
Shortcut
Yes but then they went back...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2010, 11:46pm

Post #10 of 142 (752 views)
Shortcut
I'd have to disagree with you there [In reply to] Can't Post

The Prisoner of Azkaban is the only HP movie that I really enjoy watching again and again
none of the others have the same feel to them
also, IMO starting with #4 on, they started deviating too much from the book

That does not necessarily mean that I want Cuaron directing TH, I'll have to think more on that one

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 2 2010, 12:00am

Post #11 of 142 (754 views)
Shortcut
Please no [In reply to] Can't Post

On Raimi. I understand that he is a "geek" or "true geek" (whatever that means) but am I the only one who doesn't want an uber-geek directing these films, but rather, a master filmmaker with a compelling artistic vision who does not fall prey to the "kewl" whenever the opportunity arises?

Tolkien himself was not a "geek." He was a serious academic linguist who thought and created on an intellecutally profound level. That is the kind of person I want directing these films, and I think Alfonso Cuaron is as close as we can get.

Huan71
Lorien

Jun 2 2010, 12:17am

Post #12 of 142 (730 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

My initial thinking, based on films i've seen, is Alfonso Cuaron. I also feel that the tone of his films is somewhat similar to Guillermo's...well, closer than anybody else! But, as i've commented elsewhere, it depends on whose got a free slot on their diary for the next 2 (or 6?) years!
Of the directors named above, does anyone know whose got a free schedule and whose a bit tied up?

thesithempire
Rivendell

Jun 2 2010, 12:33am

Post #13 of 142 (718 views)
Shortcut
Cuaron or Blomkamp [In reply to] Can't Post

Only two names make any sense to me:

Alfonso Cuaron: He's Del Toro's friend and filmmaking ally, and will go along with all the work Guillermo's done for the last two years rather than chuck it in order to narcisstically put "his own stamp" on the process. I've no issue with a director wanting to legitimately improve the script and/or designs. God knows Jackson could've used some of that with the trilogy (hello, mountain trolls, chicken-nugget orc, and piss-poor Army of the Dead conception.) But many directors are more concerned with their vision and name than with preserving the aesthetic of Tolkien's world. Cuaron has proven he can handle fantasy and more importantly, character, drama and world-building. And he can make you *feel* which is imperative for such a project.

Blomkamp: While I'd prefer he complete his trilogy of District films (as I think District 9 was the most fascinating, harrowing, intelligent and emotionally moving science-fiction film to arise in years), this director is clearly gifted and can pull off a special effects film and give it pathos and intelligible action. His indebtedness to Jackson admittedly concerns me as it may make him a little too dutiful to Jackson, something that wouldn't have been the case with Del Toro or Cuaron. No offense to Jackson, but he's had shot and to my eyes, FOTR started off brilliant and went downhill with each film to the point where I have little more than acrimony for ROTK and little faith that he could handle the balance of poignancy and intensity, fantasy and reality, and whimsy and gravitas that the two Hobbit films will require. And let's face it, he's all but admitted that his heart's not in it.

Malveth The Eternal
Lorien

Jun 2 2010, 12:52am

Post #14 of 142 (748 views)
Shortcut
NO on Neil Blomkamp - NO NO NO!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Neil Blomkamp?

Gimme a break. He directed one patchy, uneven, pretty dull action/splatter movie. That's it.
I'll be seriously angry if that twerp gets his mitts on The Hobbit. He doesn't deserve it.

My list (some):
Peter Weir
Jane Campion (This woman really understands mythology (The Piano) atmosphere, character & landscape (Bright Star - best film I saw in 2009). Why not a woman?
Neil Jordan (As you can see I prefer a mature take on this material - we missed out on that for LotRs with PJ at the helm, but there's no reason why The Hobbit shouldn't have a mature feeling to it - it tackles war, death, and other huge serious themes)
Neil Burger (The Illusionist)
Duncan Jones (Moon) - (Now here's a debut that has intelligence, warmth, style & stays focused and on target the whole film. Give him a shot!)
Stephen Poliakoff (The Lost Prince) Really gifted playwright & film director. I've had him in mind for years.
Andy Wilson - He did a great job with "Gormenghast" ten years ago. I'd give him a go!

Just some Fresh ideas - I'm sick to death of seeing the same list of 5 boring names.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CarrotField/257960949766?created

(This post was edited by Malveth The Eternal on Jun 2 2010, 12:55am)

bowencm
Rivendell

Jun 2 2010, 1:11am

Post #15 of 142 (674 views)
Shortcut
keep it locked up [In reply to] Can't Post

whoever is chosen for the director's chair, i think the announcement should kept locked up tight like the scripts until an official green light is given...if the studios are as close as they say they are to wrapping up the financial circus called MGM then why not wait...?...we'll all live...i think?

that being said, good GOD i can't wait for this mess to get settled!!!

Carrot cake, carrot cake, have ye any nuts?
Carrot cake says...NO NUTS!

(This post was edited by bowencm on Jun 2 2010, 1:12am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 2 2010, 1:30am

Post #16 of 142 (700 views)
Shortcut
You forgot George Lucas. [In reply to] Can't Post

By reports they are good friends. Jackson credits Lucas with "mentoring" him in special effects. And Lucas mentioned that Jackson regularly visited him during the filming of the three Star Wars prequels in Australia.

Yes, Chuck Norris does simply walk into Mordor.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 2 2010, 1:37am

Post #17 of 142 (686 views)
Shortcut
No I didn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember Star Wars II ?
So do I.
I saw it once.

Kangi Ska

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Jun 2 2010, 1:38am)

Laerasyn
Bree

Jun 2 2010, 1:45am

Post #18 of 142 (663 views)
Shortcut
Amen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, no Lucas. Just no.

Either something bad happened to the part of his brain that knew how to tell a decent story in between the Star Wars trilogies, or (as I've heard) they just let him go too wild and he had no checks or balances with the last three films. Either way, I would not trust a guy who screws up his own story so badly with The Hobbit.

'Good and ill have not change since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Doriath
Rivendell

Jun 2 2010, 1:49am

Post #19 of 142 (646 views)
Shortcut
word [In reply to] Can't Post

not that I want to start a Star Wars back and forth but, yeah, those SW prequels made me turn my back on that universe and made me embarrassed to have ever been a fan.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 2 2010, 1:50am

Post #20 of 142 (673 views)
Shortcut
Neil is probably not right for The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he showed remarkable skill the first time out with D-9. But he needs a bit more experience before he takes on a project the size of this one.

Kangi Ska

Darkstone
Immortal

Jun 2 2010, 1:50am

Post #21 of 142 (676 views)
Shortcut
Think of the money you would save on tickets. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if it's in 3-D.

Yes, Chuck Norris does simply walk into Mordor.

Laerasyn
Bree

Jun 2 2010, 1:54am

Post #22 of 142 (675 views)
Shortcut
Interesting list... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm curious as to why Blomkamp's name is being thrown around. We've only seen one major thing that he's done, and its style was WAY different than anything I'd want to see applied to the Hobbit. I loved District 9, despite some major flaws, and I suppose I'm not saying that he absolutely couldn't do a different style, but it sounds like a pretty huge gamble to put something like The Hobbit in the hands of someone so inexperienced.

Also, I really did not like Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban. In my opinion, the meat of the story was lost to too much flourish and "look at me, I'm a director and have a signature style!" -ness, if that makes any sense. As if he was not focused on the heart of the Harry Potter story, but on adding his own creative spin. Not that I know anything about his attitude, it was just a impression I got as a viewer. I don't mind some of his other stuff, but I'm going to have to say no on him for the Hobbit.

I don't know enough about the others to make anything resembling an intelligent comment. On principle, I would prefer to have another relatively unknown director with a heart for the material. And I would kind of prefer not to have PJ do it... while I was overall happy with his films, they were not perfect, and I am really curious to see someone else's vision for Middle-earth.

'Good and ill have not change since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2010, 2:02am

Post #23 of 142 (656 views)
Shortcut
what's to be gained by keeping it locked up? [In reply to] Can't Post

(this is genuine curiosity as to your reasoning, not bashing of your idea)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2010, 2:10am

Post #24 of 142 (686 views)
Shortcut
what do you mean by "chicken nugget orc" ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I've heard that one before

and now I'm curious
*patiently awaits reply*

Doriath
Rivendell

Jun 2 2010, 2:14am

Post #25 of 142 (722 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing it's a refference to Gothmog [In reply to] Can't Post

Gothmog was the Witch-king's lieutenant at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. After the Witch-king was destroyed, he assumed full command of Sauron's army. Nothing else is known about Gothmog "Fear, the city is rank with it! Let us ease their pain, release the prisoners!" —Gothmog

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.