Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who will helm 'The Hobbit'?

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jun 1 2010, 3:29pm

Views: 2524
Shortcut
Who will helm 'The Hobbit'? Can't Post

In case you were unplugged and off the information grid all weekend, TheOneRing.net broke the story that Guillermo del Toro has stepped away from directing duties on two planned (hoped for) films based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit.” We are assured (by one of the super-good inside sources) that GDT’s DNA in the form of script and design and pre-viz work will remain in place, new director willing. And why would they find a director who isn’t willing or wants to revisit the same work?

After getting over the shock and feeling the loss of our message board member’s departure, and wishing him all the best, the question now becomes: Who will direct “The Hobbit”? We have some ideas and maybe even some insights.

Peter Jackson:
Current Hobbit co-writer and producer, he says he will not let the project fall apart but he told the Dominion Post: “If that’s what I have to do to protect Warner Bros’ investment, then obviously that’s one angle which I’ll explore.” It sounds like Jackson is reassuring Warners and fans not to despair. Conversations with the studios and Jackson on a replacement have already started and it isn’t as though there aren’t talented directors who would want to tackle these films. For example . . .

Neil Blomkamp:
His “District 9″ came from the ashes of the failed “Halo” film, with Peter Jackson producing and earned an Academy Award nomination for “Best Picture.” Jackson thought the young director could handle the giant, special-effects-heavy video game film and then he made the independently-financed Wikus Van De Merwe film with down-on-their-luck aliens who crave cat food in Johannesburg. It earned over $200 million worldwide. Imagine what he could do with Weta and a budget. (And, we note, little or no studio interference!)

Sam Raimi:
This man is a true geek (in a good way) and before del Toro was signed, we kept hearing his name as a strong possibility for “The Hobbit”. He has made action-oriented films with lighthearted moments and has nailed genre characters while producing big-time profits for studios. Fans who haven’t forgiven him for “Emo” Peter Parker need to have a guffaw with him for “From Hell. He gets it. Would he direct after not being the first choice? Bruce Campbell as Bard the Bowman?

Alfonso Cuaron:
A lot of fans (and one would assume studio types) would love to see GDT’s friend step in to fill the gap. The director of a book-adapted Harry Potter film that runs circles around the rest in the series and especially the transcendent “Children of Men,” would be welcome. But unless this MGM situation gets settled soon (and we maintain from whispers that it might), what advice do you think he would hear from his pal Guillermo?

Andrew Adamson:
It seems almost impossible that Adamson could direct and produce Narnia movies and Shrek movies and then fly under the radar as well as he has. Like Jackson, he calls New Zealand home and is based just a short flight up the island in Auckland. He already has extensive experience with Weta (LOTR’s, Narnia’s and the Hobbit’s special effects house) and might make the smoothest transition to helm the films. He may lack the “edge” that del Toro and Jackson and even Raimi and Blomkamp have shown in their bodies of work or it may be that he just hasn’t had the opportunities. Still, it seems impossible not to have him in the conversation.

Steven Spielberg
and James Cameron are unlikely candidates despite what some fans wish for. Jackson’s circle of friends is pretty interesting though and Cameron raves about working in New Zealand and with Weta but there is nothing to suggest either of these busy guys are an actual possibility. Other names are being thrown around the internet wildly. Some are guesses, some are speculation and some are completely absurd. Hey! Why not Woody Allen? He directs movies after all!

Remember, Jackson wasn’t a proven big-budget commodity when New Line took a chance on “The Lord of the Rings,” more than 10 years ago. He had directed some splatter films, “Heavenly Creatures,” and “The Frighteners,” before New Line handed over the reigns. He appreciates and develops unheralded talent and may pull a director out of his hat. Imagine the size and scope of what “Halo,” would have been and he was perfectly willing to let the unknown Blomkamp have a go. Remember too that the project fell apart because the studios couldn’t come to terms on how to divide the (probably) billions with each other and it had nothing at all to do with the rookie director.

To be clear, the project lives on, Guillermo’s and Jackson’s influence remain and “The Hobbit” will go forward with a new director. Who? When? Stay tuned and you will know when we do.

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Jun 2 2010, 12:04am)

Subject User Time
Who will helm 'The Hobbit'? News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Jun 1 2010, 3:29pm
    DIRECTORS.......... Anduril1993 Send a private message to Anduril1993 Jun 1 2010, 9:47pm
        Please be careful using "we" Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jun 1 2010, 9:55pm
        Interesting... Nickey08 Send a private message to Nickey08 Jun 2 2010, 5:42am
        Has anyone mentioned Spike Jonze? Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 5:12pm
            See the article linked by Pipe Dream downthread. // N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jun 3 2010, 8:00pm
    The only choices from that list Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 1 2010, 9:53pm
        How about Ron Howard avery good director with a broad range of experience.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 8:14pm
        I spent the last two days watching movie directed by Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 6 2010, 9:41pm
    I'll go back to my original stance before GDT signed on Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Jun 1 2010, 9:59pm
        I totally agree. Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Jun 2 2010, 5:42pm
    Additions in no particular order: Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 1 2010, 10:45pm
    I have to say Lord of Magic Send a private message to Lord of Magic Jun 1 2010, 11:23pm
        Cuaron's Potter... Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 1 2010, 11:31pm
            Yes but then they went back...// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 1 2010, 11:32pm
                PJ or Cuarón, my options.... // Eruthurin Send a private message to Eruthurin Jun 2 2010, 12:51pm
        I'd have to disagree with you there Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 1 2010, 11:46pm
            I hear what you're saying sphdle1 Send a private message to sphdle1 Jun 4 2010, 3:19pm
                I like Cameron... Patty Send a private message to Patty Jun 6 2010, 9:35pm
    Please no Gandalf'sMother Jun 2 2010, 12:00am
        Same here... Huan71 Send a private message to Huan71 Jun 2 2010, 12:17am
    Cuaron or Blomkamp thesithempire Send a private message to thesithempire Jun 2 2010, 12:33am
        NO on Neil Blomkamp - NO NO NO!!! Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Jun 2 2010, 12:52am
            Neil is probably not right for The Hobbit. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 1:50am
                With respect, I disagree ... with the level of experience point of view... Owain Send a private message to Owain Jun 2 2010, 3:08am
                    But this is "The Hobbit" the one and only... Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 3:16am
                        I don't think there is any disagreement there. Owain Send a private message to Owain Jun 2 2010, 3:20am
                        My thoughts duats Send a private message to duats Jun 2 2010, 3:21am
                            Do not overlook "Children of Men". It is a great film.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 3:23am
                                yes Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 3:57am
            Malvern, why... Gandalf'sMother Jun 2 2010, 5:15am
        what do you mean by "chicken nugget orc" ? Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 2 2010, 2:10am
            I'm guessing it's a refference to Gothmog Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 2:14am
                Honestly duats Send a private message to duats Jun 2 2010, 2:17am
                I guess I never thought "chicken nugget" when I saw him Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 2 2010, 2:20am
                    Sloth Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 2:22am
                Isn't that McGothmog? Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 2:21am
                    that way we can differentiate him from the balrog Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 2 2010, 2:32am
                        You want that Balrog with an order of wings?// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 2:40am
                            how about one wing (he's a multi-fan hybrid) // Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 2 2010, 3:00am
                Gothmog indeed! thesithempire Send a private message to thesithempire Jun 2 2010, 5:48am
                    Gothmog - better than some Gandalf'sMother Jun 2 2010, 5:26pm
                        Gothmog's "personality" thesithempire Send a private message to thesithempire Jun 2 2010, 6:01pm
    keep it locked up bowencm Send a private message to bowencm Jun 2 2010, 1:11am
        what's to be gained by keeping it locked up? Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 2 2010, 2:02am
    You forgot George Lucas. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 2 2010, 1:30am
        No I didn't. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 1:37am
            Amen. Laerasyn Send a private message to Laerasyn Jun 2 2010, 1:45am
            word Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 1:49am
            Think of the money you would save on tickets. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 2 2010, 1:50am
    Interesting list... Laerasyn Send a private message to Laerasyn Jun 2 2010, 1:54am
    Just putting it out there... cameragod Send a private message to cameragod Jun 2 2010, 3:00am
        Yeah no kidding duats Send a private message to duats Jun 2 2010, 3:06am
            just pay all of TORn's living expenses in NZ Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 2 2010, 3:14am
                Kudos, thesithempire duats Send a private message to duats Jun 2 2010, 3:15am
        Sory Cameragod Gandyalf says "Cthulhu called and wants to direct."// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 3:11am
            That’s a relief actually… cameragod Send a private message to cameragod Jun 2 2010, 3:17am
    Brad Bird or Masayuki Suo. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jun 2 2010, 4:32am
        Or Yimou Zhang. / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jun 2 2010, 5:23am
            Some more names sharku Send a private message to sharku Jun 2 2010, 5:32am
                Another Name Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 1:02pm
                    Oooh yes, Twit Send a private message to Twit Jun 2 2010, 8:44pm
                    Not "Sense and Sensibility"? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jun 2 2010, 9:48pm
    well maut Send a private message to maut Jun 2 2010, 6:37am
        I wouldn't choose Raimi either. Vangalad Send a private message to Vangalad Jun 2 2010, 8:00am
        Agreed Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 7:09pm
    What happened to the female Directors on the list? ;) Elven Send a private message to Elven Jun 2 2010, 11:50am
        Geoff Murphy? Alex Maglor Send a private message to Alex Maglor Jun 2 2010, 12:05pm
        Another woman... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jun 2 2010, 1:24pm
            Another vote for Agnieszka Holland! Idril Celebrindal Send a private message to Idril Celebrindal Jun 4 2010, 8:44pm
        The Fran Walsh Camp Greg Wright Send a private message to Greg Wright Jun 2 2010, 10:23pm
            Simply not true Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Jun 2 2010, 11:15pm
                I can back you up all the way on this one. Fran had the least knowledge of Tolkien Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 12:42am
                    Really? Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Jun 3 2010, 2:42am
                        I would be very happy with Fran directing Patty Send a private message to Patty Jun 3 2010, 2:45am
                            An All-Star Group of Tolkien Sages CINE Send a private message to CINE Jun 3 2010, 3:07am
                                : ) Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Jun 3 2010, 3:22am
                                Well. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Jun 3 2010, 5:05pm
                                    to go along with that Oiotári Send a private message to Oiotári Jun 3 2010, 5:12pm
                                    The Eucatastrophe Question Greg Wright Send a private message to Greg Wright Jun 5 2010, 12:38pm
            Fran Walsh Facebook page Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Jun 3 2010, 2:30am
                I do not think so.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 2:31am
                    That's OK, We'll do this without you then. :) Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Jun 3 2010, 2:46am
                        Why not support Kate Madison for the Hobbit she has at least directed a movie.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 2:53am
                            Apples and Oranges Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Jun 3 2010, 3:21am
                                Your support for Fran is fine. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 3:35am
                                    Yes dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jun 3 2010, 8:10am
                            I put her forward Twit Send a private message to Twit Jun 3 2010, 10:12am
                            Kate did a great job with Born Of Hope. Patty Send a private message to Patty Jun 3 2010, 3:43pm
                                I understand this push for Fran as Hobbit Director Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 5:23pm
                                    Maybe it is wishful thinking... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jun 3 2010, 6:52pm
                                        Nice points dormouse Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Jun 3 2010, 7:43pm
                                        Hmmm. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jun 3 2010, 7:53pm
                                        I am not apposed to the Idea of Fran directing given the circumstances. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 9:38pm
                                            Fair point dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jun 3 2010, 9:47pm
                                            Nothing ventured, nothing gained Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Jun 4 2010, 2:43am
                                                Noble Reasons: Go for it. // Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 4 2010, 2:46am
                                                    Had posted elsewhere. . . but it fits. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jun 4 2010, 6:03am
                                                        Ridley Scott duats Send a private message to duats Jun 4 2010, 7:25am
                                        good talk Jettorex Send a private message to Jettorex Jun 4 2010, 2:20pm
                                            All of the scripts & prep work has been toward a non-digital movie. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 4 2010, 2:44pm
                                                Jackson aaaargon Send a private message to aaaargon Jun 8 2010, 9:30pm
                I don't do Facebook grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jun 4 2010, 2:02am
            As Promised: My article on Why Fran Walsh Should Direct Hobbit Mark Sommer Send a private message to Mark Sommer Jun 5 2010, 1:37am
                Good article dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jun 5 2010, 7:52am
                good article Jettorex Send a private message to Jettorex Jun 7 2010, 2:44pm
    Which director do you trust ? centenaryman Send a private message to centenaryman Jun 2 2010, 5:48pm
    A word about Peter Jackson MrCere Send a private message to MrCere Jun 2 2010, 7:07pm
    Actually... Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 7:27pm
    May I suggest ... Zack Snyder? Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jun 2 2010, 7:43pm
        Interesting Idea.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 7:47pm
    Peter Jackson is the obvious choice xy Jun 2 2010, 8:03pm
        one possible problem Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 8:14pm
            well xy Jun 2 2010, 8:17pm
                Maybe...depends on the contract & the good will of the entity contracted with.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 2 2010, 8:28pm
                Dunno Doriath Send a private message to Doriath Jun 2 2010, 8:49pm
    Has anybody considered... zer05um Send a private message to zer05um Jun 2 2010, 8:34pm
    Leonard Nimoy... priell3 Send a private message to priell3 Jun 2 2010, 11:36pm
        Leonard Nimoy The Party Tree Send a private message to The Party Tree Jun 3 2010, 1:04am
        Priell, you should go to your room! Patty Send a private message to Patty Jun 3 2010, 2:40am
    Catherine Hardwicke SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jun 3 2010, 3:30am
    Takashi Miike SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Jun 3 2010, 3:51am
    17 Director breakdown... Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Jun 3 2010, 9:24am
        Required reading squire Send a private message to squire Jun 3 2010, 9:33am
    PJ or Fran Walsh MightyGollum Send a private message to MightyGollum Jun 3 2010, 2:31pm
    Another list R11 Send a private message to R11 Jun 3 2010, 5:07pm
        Yeah, that's been covered... Lunamoth Send a private message to Lunamoth Jun 3 2010, 5:31pm
            I figured R11 Send a private message to R11 Jun 3 2010, 5:41pm
                attitudes change Lunamoth Send a private message to Lunamoth Jun 3 2010, 6:00pm
                    Don't get me wrong R11 Send a private message to R11 Jun 3 2010, 6:21pm
                        Zack Snyder could be an interesting solution too. Vangalad Send a private message to Vangalad Jun 3 2010, 6:41pm
        Very interesting article: Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 5:39pm
            Seemed R11 Send a private message to R11 Jun 3 2010, 6:08pm
                Yes I was trying to figure out where I fit. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jun 3 2010, 6:11pm
    PJ or Cuarón, Definetly.... // Eruthurin Send a private message to Eruthurin Jun 3 2010, 5:41pm
    M. Knight Shamalan sphdle1 Send a private message to sphdle1 Jun 4 2010, 3:37pm
    joann sfar for the hobbit bombadilum Send a private message to bombadilum Jun 4 2010, 7:05pm
    Director SwimIrish Send a private message to SwimIrish Jun 6 2010, 2:06am
        I really want to see another director's take at this point. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jun 6 2010, 5:52am
            I agree Ainur... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Jun 7 2010, 12:26am
                Gilliam OrdinaryAvgGuy Send a private message to OrdinaryAvgGuy Jul 8 2010, 7:33pm
        Agreed.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jun 6 2010, 9:59pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.