Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Alfonso Cuaron for Director
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 1 2010, 2:18am

Post #26 of 62 (381 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand your position, Magpie.

As I have said, I am a great admirer of Mr. Del Toro, and I lament his departure. But as others have said, this is not a cause for mourning or unnecessary melodrama. Personally, I see it as an opportunity. And although I may be wrong, I believe GDT would be delighted to see Cuaron's name immediately come to the minds of his fans.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 1 2010, 2:25am)

Eldy
Gondor

Jun 1 2010, 2:22am

Post #27 of 62 (396 views)
Shortcut
I apologize if this comes off as rude [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm tired of hearing how insensitive/uncaring/wrong I am for wanting to have a conversation about GDT's replacement. I feel bad for the guy that he didn't get to direct the films since I got the impression that he wanted to and I really appreciate his reaching out to the fandom, but I didn't know him and I'm not going to go into mourning or wait to speculate about the new director. Speculation about The Hobbit is a large part of why I'm here.

I can respect your desire to take the time to get over GDT stepping down before doing any speculation, and the Goodbye thread is there for you. No one is going into the Goodbye thread and talking about GDT's replacement (last I checked at least, and I hope no one has since). I wish that everyone (not just you Kelvarhin) could respect that other people want to speculate and stop implying that we're uncaring or thoughtless because we don't feel the need to have a period of mourning. You have your thread, please let us have ours.

Thanks for reading. Smile

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Gandalf'sMother.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...
My Tolkien site

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jun 1 2010, 2:25am)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2010, 2:27am

Post #28 of 62 (370 views)
Shortcut
I apologize [In reply to] Can't Post

as I have posted similar sentiments as Kel
and I thank you for calmly stating your position
but having said that, I do not renounce my position, though I want to avoid making an argument of the situation

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Eldy
Gondor

Jun 1 2010, 2:30am

Post #29 of 62 (350 views)
Shortcut
No problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I can understand why you wouldn't want to talk about it yet even if I disagree. Thank you in turn for a calm response. Smile

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...
My Tolkien site

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jun 1 2010, 2:32am

Post #30 of 62 (361 views)
Shortcut
** A word about this thread in general [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a general statement to everyone posting about the timing of this thread:

1. Everyone has a right to post in this thread and express how they feel. Once it's up, a thread belongs to the community, not to one person, or a few people, posting in the thread.

2. No one is (or should be) blaming anyone else for feeling the way they do.

3. Just because someone feel one way doesn't mean they're insulting those who feel differently.

I think we've established that there are different feeling here. I've edited out some statements that
were getting personal. Let's please let's move on and don't go there.

Thanks

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

rings7
Rohan

Jun 1 2010, 4:15am

Post #31 of 62 (352 views)
Shortcut
Right on [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's not Peter, Cuaron has my vote, trust and everything for this project.

Huan71
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 10:38am

Post #32 of 62 (332 views)
Shortcut
I agree.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter or Cuaron would be good...With Alfonso being my preference due to his past (and continuing...?) links with Guillermo!
This may help with a smooth continuity of "Tone and feel" for the film?
Plus i was VERY impressed with "Children of men"....Just one thing...is he busy for the next 2 (or 3, or 4 or....) years?
BTW...what about Fran Walsh directing? Or would that be too big an ask for her?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 11:39am

Post #33 of 62 (310 views)
Shortcut
well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Alfonso Cuaron took it on then I hope he would have more respect for the book than he did with 'Prisoner of Azkaban'. Visually it's a beautiful film but I remember being very disappointed with it as an adaptation of the book (though I've come round to it more since as a film in its own right). Besides, my feeling is that it will be too difficult now for anyone to come into The Hobbit from outside, with so much pre-production work already settled.

I love the idea of Fran Walsh directing or co-directing, though.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 12:12pm

Post #34 of 62 (320 views)
Shortcut
Alfonso Cuaron, Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh [In reply to] Can't Post

If Peter signs on Fran will be with him as with LotR. I doubt that the studios would accept Fran as Director of Note. They will want a BIG name to insure their investments. I have heard a lot of complaints about Prisoner of Azkaban not being true to the book and this could also be aimed at all of the movies since #2. In my opinion Prisoner was the best movie of the heard. It is truly a good film. "Children of Men" is just amazing. If Peter can't and and Alfonso can't then what? I am sure there is a lot of scrambling going on in Wellington.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

IreneoFunes
The Shire

Jun 1 2010, 12:22pm

Post #35 of 62 (322 views)
Shortcut
I was at the Cuarón campaign [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Guillermo del Toro (He could still change his mind though this is improbable to say the least.)
2. Peter Jackson (But he would have to clear his schedule & he would have to want the job)
3. Alfonso Cuaron (He did "Children of Men" & "Prizoner of Azkaban".
4. J.J. Abrams: (Remember Lost & the new Star Trek)
5. Neill Blomkamp D-9
6. The Coen Brothers (I live in Minnesota USA: Hometown Favorites)
7. Joss Whedon (Firefly)
8. Terry Gilliam (Time Bandits, The Fisher King) Remember he would not be writing the script.
And many others.

Dear Kangi, I'm going to comment your decisions and why are happening or not.

1. Nobody leaves for returning. Maybe if the Hobbit delays to 2016....but Warners/MGM don't look to think in that terms. However, Del Toro has a LOT of projects.

2. He's the man and it's his Tolkien-imagined universe.

3. He's the ideal filmmaker for this project. Everyone is talking about this two sensitive and great films that you quote but....I LOVE the Little Princess. Cuarón has a great filmography, guys!!!!

4. Impossible. Abrams left The Dark Tower and I just don't see him adapting to other's style. He has a signature and is working with storytelling in every moive he makes, even his Star Trek was all a narrative trick for the reboot. Also, I prefer Abrams to Super 8 / Star Trek 2 kind of projects rather than being in a project that requires being a Tolkien lover.

5. Blomkamp would be a curious decision, but he's very comfortable with the (relative) low budgets. Also, D-9 was a fresh and original movie and I think he needs at least two more movies of that kind. Also, I'd prefer that. It suits better with his talent.

6. That's a beautiful but very impossible idea. The Coens are very special and his movies are based on a very post-modern sensibility towards the genre. They are related to the most postmo movies that Jackson made (think of the cartoony sense of The Hudsucker Proxy or Arizona Baby) but they are very independent and while their Hobbit would be awesome, it'll never please the fans or the studio. Alas, the Coens aren't making that kind of high-budget blockbuster.

7. I see your point here, but Whedon is making the Avengers and the movie will be a bomb. Marvel signing him for Avengers 2? Very possible.

8. Nice point for debate here. In terms of ideology and aesthetic, Gilliam is, in my modest opinion, the opposite to Tolkien and anything. His next movie is the definitive Quixote.

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 1 2010, 5:23pm

Post #36 of 62 (334 views)
Shortcut
EW.com jumps on the Cuaron for Director bandwagon [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/01/peter.jackson.hobbit.ew/index.html?hpt=T3

dormouse,

I would just have to say, in response to your post, that IMO Cuaron's "Prisoner of Azkhaban" was by far the best film of the series on two fronts: 1) It was the best film, as a standalone film; and 2) It was the best adaptation.

On the second point, you may scratch your head, as legions of Potter fans are still angry with him for leaving out their favorite inconsequential quirk. However, in my mind, he captured the essence of the book, the essence of Potter's universe, and the essence of Rowling's writing, better than anyone. It felt like a Potter book should feel like when translated to the big screen.

And after seeing Children of Men, there is no doubt in my mind that this man can make a fantastic world come to life. Not to mention his absolutely brilliant use of the camera. This man paints. He most certainly does not point and shoot.

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Jun 1 2010, 5:25pm)

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 1 2010, 5:38pm

Post #37 of 62 (298 views)
Shortcut
Agreed 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the choice is crystal clear and it is Cuaron. This man is a brilliant director, with an eye for the fantastical and a truly unique (and powerful) approach to cinema. If he can imbue a dystopian London with mythical beauty, he can do wonders for Middle Earth. And he's very good friends with Del Toro. This is the way to go, IMO. Of course, he may not be available, but one can dream...

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 6:02pm

Post #38 of 62 (303 views)
Shortcut
Just my opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... but I am only stating the truth when I say that I came out of 'Prisoner of Azkaban' disappointed in the film as an adaptation of the book. Now, maybe this is because I'm a bit dim and value my 'favourite inconsequential quirk' over the true essence of the book, who's to say - but that remembered disappointment was my immediate reaction when Cuaron's name was mentioned. However beautiful the film is - and I agree that as a standalone film it's excellent - as an adaptation I still feel that it failed to capture some of the backstory which is integral to J K Rowling's series.

Beyond that it seems a bit pointless arguing about it since we don't know if they're even considering Cuaron!

Malveth The Eternal
Lorien

Jun 2 2010, 3:27am

Post #39 of 62 (270 views)
Shortcut
No Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Cuaron is an obvious & boring choice. I'd like to see them put some imagination into this decision. The names put forth by TORN are - for me - mind-numbingly boring and painfully obvious. Tolkien deserves better. How about a director with a fresh point of view? I'd like to see a woman behind the camera. Or a really seasoned, older director. Enough of these comic-book reading fanboy types. It's all played out now, thank you very much. How about something new? Even if the movie doesn't come out crowd-pleasingly perfect, at least it will have some fresh energy & heart. Look at Bakshi's "Rings" and Lynch's "Dune" - both films come in for some heavy criticism, but they stand up as unique, personal works of art that defy their own faults & continue to draw in new fans, more than 20 years after their original release. That's analogous to what Tolkien did. So I'd rather see something with energy, with personal conviction. What bothered me about PJ's trilogy is that it felt 100% "imagineered" to me - it felt like a theme park or historical reenactment - boring. Give me something with real personal integrity & vision, even if it falls short of "perfect".

Rant over.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CarrotField/257960949766?created

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 2 2010, 3:33am

Post #40 of 62 (284 views)
Shortcut
But WHO? Do not make me hold my breath. I need a name (or names) that fills this bill.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2010, 3:38am

Post #41 of 62 (266 views)
Shortcut
This all seems a little premature considering we just lost GDT. [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand the desire to see the films made but I am still holding out hope that PJ and GDT are bold poker players playing for keeps.

It may be wishful thinking but I have wondered if this announcement was a well placed ultimatum to stir MGM/New Line/Warner Brothers into action. Again I believe GDT's reasons and of course believe that he is fully justified to walk. I am also not doubting the sincerity or truth of what he is doing. But after two years of being fully immersed in the world only to hand it over now... perhaps it was a risk they/he was willing to take.

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Malveth The Eternal
Lorien

Jun 2 2010, 3:39am

Post #42 of 62 (265 views)
Shortcut
Some Ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my list from another thread:

Peter Weir (My #1 choice)
Jane Campion (This woman really understands mythology (The Piano) atmosphere, character & landscape (Bright Star - best film I saw in 2009). Why not a woman?
Neil Jordan (As you can see I prefer a mature take on this material - we missed out on that for LotRs with PJ at the helm, but there's no reason why The Hobbit shouldn't have a mature feeling to it - it tackles war, death, and other huge serious themes)
Neil Burger (The Illusionist) I think he'd Rock!
Duncan Jones (Moon) - (Now here's a debut that has intelligence, warmth, style & stays focused and on target the whole film. Give him a shot!)
Stephen Poliakoff (The Lost Prince) Really gifted playwright & film director. I've had him in mind for years.
Andy Wilson - He did a great job with "Gormenghast" ten years ago. I'd give him a go!

Does Tom Stoppard direct?

It's just an example of how many many other names there are out there...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CarrotField/257960949766?created

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 2 2010, 3:42am

Post #43 of 62 (260 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we need as much input as we can get. Not just names but the thinking behind the suggestions.
Thanx
KS

Kangi Ska

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 2 2010, 3:44am

Post #44 of 62 (257 views)
Shortcut
Duncan Jones [In reply to] Can't Post

Is an inspired choice. Moon was pitch perfect, and the fact that the movie, Sam Rockwell, and Jones were snubbed at the Academy Awards was an absolute tragedy.

(This post was edited by duats on Jun 2 2010, 3:48am)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2010, 3:47am

Post #45 of 62 (257 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that if it was just "poker" then GdT would not have come and posted personally
surely he wouldn't have told us the truth if it was just poker, that would have destroyed the game, but he probably would have just stayed away for the time being

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 2 2010, 3:50am

Post #46 of 62 (254 views)
Shortcut
I thought this might be a possibility and still think it could be an attempt to leverage the deal. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is and the Studios call the bluff. We are still right where it appears we are now. My third thoughts say this line of thought is wishfully thinking. I just wish none of this would have happened.

Kangi Ska

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 2 2010, 3:53am

Post #47 of 62 (270 views)
Shortcut
Either way the act was real. For it to turn around would be a true eucatastrophy.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2010, 3:55am

Post #48 of 62 (247 views)
Shortcut
and that would be some good acting [In reply to] Can't Post

part of me wishes it were true
part of me hopes that GdT would not do that to us

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2010, 3:59am

Post #49 of 62 (261 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I don't think he would do that to be cruel... [In reply to] Can't Post

... at this point he really hasn't got much to lose... except his directorial career waiting around for this thing to happen.

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

Jun 2 2010, 5:08am

Post #50 of 62 (277 views)
Shortcut
Malveth, Cuaron... [In reply to] Can't Post

...seems to fit your description to a T! He is most certainly not a "comic-book reading fanboy type." Have you seen Y Tu Mama Tambien or Children of Men? Something tells me you haven't...

In any event, extolling the virtues of Bakshi is most certainly a recipe for....nevermind. :)

(This post was edited by Gandalf'sMother on Jun 2 2010, 5:09am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.