Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJ 'may direct The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 31 2010, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 65 (2590 views)
Shortcut
PJ 'may direct The Hobbit' Can't Post

Sir Peter Jackson says he will step into the breach and direct The Hobbit himself if it becomes the only way to ensure the US$150 million (NZ$219m) film is made after the sudden departure of director Guillermo del Toro. Read more

BlueMan
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 65 (1108 views)
Shortcut
He seems to pick his words very carefully ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does he say he will take over to protect the financial properties of Warner?

1. he does not seem to want to inspire too much hope on the side of fans that it will be him.

2. he does not believe it will be him because they already got a couple of exciting directors to hire for the job

3. he really does not want to do it for all the reasons he has said at so many occasions (not to compete with himself, would rather seek new challenges, is bound by contracts etc. etc.)

Slashfilm noticed this, too:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/31/peter-jackson-would-direct-the-hobbit-if-necessary-may-not-be-able-to-do-so/

Raptos a diis homines dici ...

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 10:49pm

Post #3 of 65 (1017 views)
Shortcut
PJ is reassuring his financial backers. [In reply to] Can't Post

He really does not want the money to get nervous at this point. They could assume control which would be very bad for the project.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

What can I say...

BlueMan
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 11:08pm

Post #4 of 65 (919 views)
Shortcut
absolutely, that's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to see in which directions I would take the implication that he might be directing ... and I realized ... I do not believe he really wants to.

Raptos a diis homines dici ...

CINE
Bree

Jun 1 2010, 12:01am

Post #5 of 65 (891 views)
Shortcut
Re: He seems to pick his words very carefully [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he's wearing his Producer hat -- being the spokesperson for the production he's being canny in his comments at the moment. He likely doesn't want to say something that could be taken and run with as definite in the media. And he wants to give a good impression that they are doing due diligence in finding a replacement helmer regardless of whether it's him or somebody else.

My read with him dropping the hint so soon is he does indeed want to accept the directing mantle, but a lot of behind-the-scenes things have to fall into place for it to become a reality.

Am I imagining this, or didn't he mention in an interview around the first of the year that he was having pangs for the director's job as they got deeper into the screenwriting; and was second-guessing somewhat his decision to Produce only? That could perhaps serve as a clue to his true motivation at the moment...

At any rate, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for PJ, and I think some exciting developments will be announced sooner rather than later.

TonyStarks
The Shire

Jun 1 2010, 12:09am

Post #6 of 65 (900 views)
Shortcut
If not PJ or GDT [In reply to] Can't Post

If not PJ
What about Neil Blomkamp?

ceti
The Shire

Jun 1 2010, 12:39am

Post #7 of 65 (826 views)
Shortcut
God's listening to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely!
Welcome, PJ. You're the man!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 1 2010, 1:01am

Post #8 of 65 (791 views)
Shortcut
Your probably right... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and also giving us fans a tiny weenie glint of hope that he might direct is pretty sneaky. It makes the most sense. He's already involved. I dunno, I seriously doubt it'll happen...but a part of me feels giddy that there is at least a chance. Plus GDT would still be offering input as a writer. What a terrible mess. I hope we get our Hobbit movies some year soon.

Ruijor
Rohan

Jun 1 2010, 1:04am

Post #9 of 65 (947 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson assuming the director´s chair [In reply to] Can't Post

Nan aear ar in elin!

Goooooooooooooooooooooo PJ! Cool

Honestly, he is Middle Earth´s best chance; he´s inside every step of the project so far so that would minimize the damage and prevent a time consuming new director who would have to start from scratch therefore delaying it more for us ringers...

filmfreak3000
The Shire

Jun 1 2010, 2:40am

Post #10 of 65 (750 views)
Shortcut
CINE [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not imagining that. I've seen a few interviews in the last 6 to 8 months than echo that. Wish I had a exact quote offhand.

-There's no charge for awesomeness

Patty
Immortal

Jun 1 2010, 2:43am

Post #11 of 65 (853 views)
Shortcut
Ha! He knows the ring (Middle-earth) is his burden, and he must carry it... [In reply to] Can't Post

and considering how many years he's been in Middle-earth, I guess you could say the quest has claimed his life.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2010, 3:03am

Post #12 of 65 (740 views)
Shortcut
well, I haven't read all of the interviews [In reply to] Can't Post

but other people seem to agree with you

and your post (or one of the posts in this thread) got me thinking (or rather, thinking again) that it would be better for the director to come from someone who is already involved in the project, rather than someone from outside of it. PJ certainly fits that bill, and I would gladly have him as director, but I'd also welcome another take on Middle Earth.

It seems that I am now ready to discuss possible new directors, I've apparently gotten my emotions together concerning the news

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 3:38am

Post #13 of 65 (744 views)
Shortcut
Could work. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If not PJ
What about Neil Blomkamp?

I think this would be an interesting choice. After all, he was originally given the Halo movie, before he was even somewhat "proven".

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 3:42am

Post #14 of 65 (755 views)
Shortcut
Jackson. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is the most obvious and ideal solution. It's the only thing that will soften the blow of GdT leaving. I really wanted to see The Hobbit done by del Toro, but I equally would like to see PJ return to Middle-earth.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2010, 3:44am

Post #15 of 65 (723 views)
Shortcut
maybe ideal for us fans (or many of us at least) [In reply to] Can't Post

but we don't know everything, or even most, of what's going on over on their side of things

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jun 1 2010, 4:56am

Post #16 of 65 (796 views)
Shortcut
I trust Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe he will act in the best interest of The Hobbit, whether that means directing it himself or enabling someone else to do a stellar job.
Personally, I hope he directs it, but I am open to someone else if that what seems best to him and the other writers.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 7:47am

Post #17 of 65 (714 views)
Shortcut
I really hope he does.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....because right now, it seems the only outcome that would make sense of the situation:

First, because he is a part of the project already and so intimately tied to the larger project of bringing Tolkien's work to film that it's hard to imagine it going ahead without his input.

Second, because there is still no greenlight and it seems unlikely that any good director would want or be able to take on a film with so much uncertainty around it. It's an open-ended commitment to live in New Zealand for... how long, and wait?

But the biggest difficulty to my mind is the creative one. Would any director of the kind of calibre 'The Hobbit' needs be willing to step into a project which has been about two years in extended pre-production, and with most of the creative decisions already made? We're told that the characters and costumes are designed already, that various sequences of film have been planned - even the scripts have been written (with another director - two if you count PJ - involved in the writing process). I doubt that anyone would be in favour of them tearing all that up and starting again, but it means that whoever directs will have to go along with someone else's already highly-developed vision of the story - and do it with the sense that he is 'second choice'. That's an awful lot for a creative person to take on. I think it's too late for an outsider to become involved.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 8:38am

Post #18 of 65 (698 views)
Shortcut
PJ both loves and loaths the project (In my not so humble opinion) [In reply to] Can't Post

He wants to move on but it seems that he was meant to direct the Hobbit. We will see.

A week ago we were all sitting around wishing something would happen. As my Grandmother often said: "Be careful what you wish for! You might just get it."

Kangi Ska

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jun 1 2010, 8:58am

Post #19 of 65 (643 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Well if it can't be GDT then it has to be PJ right?

Those two have been working on this together for years now, they can't just bring in another director who doesn't know what's going on and probably won't understand the Tolkien art like PJ and GDT do.

I pray PJ ends up taking it on but I'm just worried he will feel like he's only doing it because he HAS to. I really hope he starts feeling the love if he hasn't already and actually WANTS to direct it.

I feel very sad for GDT though, I'm just glad he didn't leave the project completely and will still be co-writing.
This movie will still pretty much have the same 'feel' it would've had if GDT had directed it anyway though right? They're still going to use all the stuff he has come up with so far.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 9:08am

Post #20 of 65 (657 views)
Shortcut
The only problem with Neil Blomkamp [In reply to] Can't Post

is that he is a relatively inexperienced director and this is a really big project. As is often the case; money may do the talking. Peter may be leveraged back into the director's seat by the studios who would see him as insurance. I do not see this as good or bad, That depends on how PJ feels about directing these films. If he has decided he wants to direct them and he can clear his schedule to do so then no other director is better qualified.

Kangi Ska

Vangalad
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 9:14am

Post #21 of 65 (630 views)
Shortcut
You are right, [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gonna be difficult to find a renowned director who will be willing to follow someone else's already established work. GDT was familiar with fantasy and Tolkien,so whoever steps in should have the same high standards and i believe PJ and his team will search for someone close to their environment worthy to carry on.
Now concerning PJ, it seems that he is willing to direct the hobbit , if nobody else is , but according to his schedule it would be really difficult.So if he had to direct he should first finish his other projects and that means delay.
I think after GDT, PJ would be the most appropriate person to deliver the hobbit but unfortunately the priority now seems to be the finding of a new director.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 1 2010, 9:56am

Post #22 of 65 (678 views)
Shortcut
Aw, don't compare him to poor Frodo! ;-( [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't want PJ to think of the LotR and Hobbit films as a life-sucking addiction. Wink Of course, I know you didn't really mean it that way, and I get what you're saying. But if we're going to use a Middle-Earth analogy, why not think of the films as Arda? Tolkien was Iluvatar, and PJ and the Weta team were the Vala who sang the world into being along with him, then came to love it so much that they went down into it to care for it eternally.

Of course, I guess that makes GdT Bombadil. Tongue

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 10:04am

Post #23 of 65 (608 views)
Shortcut
GdT = Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice analogy.

Kangi Ska

Elven
Valinor

Jun 1 2010, 10:19am

Post #24 of 65 (607 views)
Shortcut
2 Directors ... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and another.

I looked back through some posts from the end of 2007- beginning of 2008, when nothing much was happening. PJ had just settled out of court with Saul Zantz, New Line was still in form and independent, Sam Ramii had been mentioned, The Hobbit was speculated as being 2 films, Boyrs Kit from the Hollywood Reprter had just filed a report that said
" - Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM."
.. we were just about to receive news that Howard Shore was on board ....
and tORN took a Poll on who they thought would be the best Director for the Hobbit:

These were the results of other suggestions to direct the Hobbit .... From the home page of TORN ... just to keep the thread moving ...)
  • Fran Walsh
    (35%, 2375 Votes)
  • Guillermo del Toro
    (34%, 2316 Votes)
  • Steven Spielberg
    (21%, 1413 Votes)
  • Sam Raimi
    (21%, 1395 Votes)
  • Alfonso Cuaron
    (19%, 1268 Votes)
  • Sean Astin
    (19%, 1250 Votes)
  • Terry Gilliam
    (9%, 636 Votes)
  • Peter Weir
    (7%, 451 Votes)
  • Robert Zemeckis
    (6%, 404 Votes)
  • Andrew Adamson
    (4%, 270 Votes)
  • Joel and Ethan Coen
    (3%, 225 Votes)
  • Michael Bay
    (3%, 205 Votes)
  • Wachowski Team
    (3%, 171 Votes)
  • Stephen Sommers
    (1%, 59 Votes)
  • Chris Weitz
    (1%, 47 Votes)
  • Bill Condon
    (0%, 23 Votes)
  • Brad Silberling
    (0%, 22 Votes)

Total Voters: 6736

.... and I look back then and also see my responses on tORN and to the speculation about the Hobbit films and GdTs involvement, and unfortunately, they turned out to be about 80% true ...
GdT wouldn't be able to make it through to the end due to complications beyond his control ....
At the time, I was so nervous about any Director not making it through the long haul - I posted this response below in Jan 2008 ... this was about if GdT was to become Director - it hadn't been announced. Since that time, there has been so many ups and downs with the film, but I really did want PJ and Fran to Co-Direct the film at first. I'd love to see PJ on board and if he couldn't do it by himself, then for GdT and PJ to do it ... if we only knew what a ride this all was going to be ... and how endeared GdT became to most of us on this project ...

Elven Posted 28th Jan 2008
javascript: postShortcut(70258)

What do you think about the report ... true or false ... or something in between?
Well, I think we may hear confirmation of a Director.... but, I have some doubts about the longevity of this particular arrangement as see it as more of a temporary placement - and just feel that within the next 8 months these arrangements will change - and they will be necessary unavoidable changes .. I think this decision (if confirmed) doesnt see him there for the duration of the process in that capacity.

Do you think it is for both movies if it be true?
I'd like to think not - but either way, my thoughts are that this wont pan out as expected anyway - so for two movies - no.

What do you think about Del Toro Directing The Hobbit?
My preference is a Jackson/Walsh colaboration - hands down.

and my reason for that is I feel Del Toro will have Too many creative ideas with no where to place or to put them ...Very scattered energies and fractured ideas that dont mesh ... a budget blow-out with the ideas and problems associated with them ...
This (Directing) arrangement may loose its perspective ... less is sometimes more .... not the biggest is the betterest ... the focus gets lost ...

Do you think there is a chance or change - that Peter will direct the Hobbit or the other film?
Yes, I think there will be a change - and unexpected change at that - almost Peter taking the reins by default - though that wouldn't be a bad move closer to the movies becoming a reality, even if they have started filming ... I think it woulld even start with the script ... but Peter steps in to save the day ... we all love a hero who can do that, and he is capable and in the position presently to do that ... but not just yet. I dont think things will go as planned if Del Toro is confirmed as Director.

so right at this moment I see the opportunity come to light ...
by default, Take the Rein Sir PJ - Direct the Hobbitsis for us - please!.

Elven

macfalk
Valinor

Jun 1 2010, 10:46am

Post #25 of 65 (618 views)
Shortcut
The directors I'd "live" with [In reply to] Can't Post

Any of these would be nice:

1.Peter Jackson
2.Fran Walsh
3.Afonso Cuaron

Please not Sam Raimi. Spiderman 3 was horrible.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.