Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORN Exclusive: Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 7:52am

Post #76 of 167 (3421 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

For Peter, who I know will also get the message, hope you can take the reins. If you don't, mak sure we Tolkien fans trust you will make a great choic, the same as you made the right one with Guillermo.

Fellow TORnsibs, let's look forward, the road goes ever on and on, let's count on the fact that a great movie will happen, let's support whoever takes the helm, and let us make sure that Guillermo's print in Middle-earth is not forgotten or overseen!

You put it so well.

I hope now that Peter Jackson or one of the creative team in New Zealand will take over the directing, not least because anyone from outside would now have to take on so much of someone else's creative vision, with all the design work already done and Peter, Fran, Philippa and Guillermo on the script. We just have to keep hoping - but this is a sad morning.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 31 2010, 8:39am

Post #77 of 167 (3401 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear MrC! I agree with every word. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a shock to read such news - a bolt from the blue - but I suppose when one thinks about it, it isn't entirely surprising that the extended time period should create problems. Actually just this past weekend I was pondering if, given how much the project has been delayed and how much the political landscape of the movie companies involved has changed over the past few years, PJ himself would have started wishing he was making the films after all... So much has changed since that first announcement that GDT would direct.

I don't despair for the movies at all - with PJ as producer, they are in safe hands. I do, like you MrC, wish we had got to see GDT's Middle Earth. That's a place I'd like to visit. Frown

Now we wait...

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

macfalk
Valinor

May 31 2010, 8:56am

Post #78 of 167 (3464 views)
Shortcut
PJ's manager says it will definately not be possible for PJ to take over the director's chair [In reply to] Can't Post

too bad...

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/del-toro-leaves-the-hobbit-and-evidently-peter-jackson-wont-be-next/#more-44536

Mithrandír
Lorien

May 31 2010, 9:05am

Post #79 of 167 (3738 views)
Shortcut
Sad, but exciting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really sad Guillermo is leaving. It's understandable though. You can't devote 6 years of your life when you're Guillermo.

My hope now is that PJ takes the directing chair. I most certainly don't see anyone else directing these films.

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 31 2010, 9:16am

Post #80 of 167 (3163 views)
Shortcut
Sir, you are a gentleman and we wish you much success in future endeavours... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for being such a friend to TORn throughout this process. I can only try to imagine what a difficult decision this must have been for you. Sad as we all are to miss YOUR Hobbit, that sadness must be a hundred times more for you, and for all the folks who have been working with you and have been, no doubt, inspired by your vision. You must be feeling torn in two, like Sam - wanting to follow your Hobbit vision but needing to stay with other projects you love too.

In traditional TORn style, may I offer you {{hugs}} at this time?! Wink Seriously, as we all react with surprise to this news, please know that much good energy and thanks are sent your way. You have been an amazing friend to us and we hope that you will continue to feel at home in this community. As MrCere wrote below, you're one of us now, and we will always follow your creativity with interest - and, it it's not too presumptuous, a little pride! Smile It's reassuring to know that your voice will still be heard, through the script and through design concepts, in the final films. And I am sure that the projects which need your attention, and which draw you away, will be wonderful and exciting too. I look forward to them.

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 9:18am

Post #81 of 167 (3336 views)
Shortcut
Fuzzy Math???? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Wanderer says, So that is still consistent with a 2012/2013 distribution...later than I would have liked, but beggars can't be choosers.
(2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 = six years).

That seems logical on the surface, but compare it to the original three year commitment.

(2008, 2009, 2010) would not be enough to cover the originally planned dates of 2010 and 2011 (which were quickly changed to 2011/12).

Guillermo moved to NZ in the second half of 2008, so his commitment in NZ must have originally been until the second film was ready late in 2011, which would be a little over three years. (2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011)

Since Guillermo did not move to NZ until the second half of 2008, you cannot count the whole year. Your method would be almost like saying that because a person began college in 2005 and graduated in 2009, he was in school five years.

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole
Check out my review of the new Fan Film, Born of Hope. Born of Hope is first-rate film and great story

CreativeWriter
The Shire

May 31 2010, 10:00am

Post #82 of 167 (3228 views)
Shortcut
Best wishes [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Del Toro,

Since I may never have the chance to speak to you again (the world is big and my voice is small), I'd like to extend my best wishes for you as your career continues. I was introduced to you through an interview on NPR a few years ago, and I had to pull off to the side of the road to give it my full attention, since your discussion of lovely monsters, your childhood, and your father's abduction was so compelling. I rushed home to rent (and later purchase) Pan's Labyrinth, and I was enthralled. It was beautiful, beautiful work, and it sparked in me a renewed imagination. When I learned you would be directing the two Hobbit films, I was overjoyed. While it is disheartening to see you leave the project, I've already taken much from your involvement in "my world." So I'd like to say thank you, both for your inspiring personal narrative, your past work, and for future films that exist only as inklings in your mind. May you have all the grand nightmares you deserve!

Cheers,
CW

Silmaril
Lorien

May 31 2010, 10:24am

Post #83 of 167 (3449 views)
Shortcut
sad, but there is hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

i put trust in the remaining team of LOTR. as long as PJ is there, the project is in good hands. thanks to GDT for some postings here!

DamienEngland
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 10:27am

Post #84 of 167 (4054 views)
Shortcut
So ends the chance for something extraordinary ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Look, I’m sure when and if these films get made they will be ‘good’. Good enough. They’ll segue into the original films competently enough, they’ll have the odd bravura scene of stunning sfx. But deep down, we all know The Hobbit lucked out when Guillermo took this on. I can’t think of a more perfect choice of director ticking all three boxes of: a) an innate understanding of horror & fantasy b) soulful reverence to the source material and c) artistic vision; and as much as I don’t want to put a dampener on where things go from here, I can’t help it either, because sadly you won’t get that combination again. Two out of the three, maybe. Two & a half, at a push.

As for the replacements being touted? Jackson, on present form I’m not convinced could match his trilogy, nor would he want to as he's said countless times he sees no satisfaction in competing with himself. Cuaron, a huge talent in his own right, should not become "second dibbs" and as a close friend of Del Toro would forever be a reminder of the man he had replaced; nor is he, first and foremost, a fantasy director. And Scott? He’s got the minor matter of an Alien prequel to attend to in case anyone’s forgotten, or hasn’t recently made a trip out to the multiplex to sit through Robin Hood …Unsure

My money goes on Raimi. His visual style of late, especially in the phenomenally rewatchable Drag Me To Hell reminds me more of earlier Peter Jackson than anything: the gross-out horror, askew camera angles, wondrously OTT theatrics. He’d nail the Mirkwood spiders and give the movies ample scares. He’s also a director who, for the most part (Spidey 3, excepted) balances character and big spectacle action well. So perhaps, (i.e: a BIG perhaps, and still one hoping that McGuire gets nowhere near the Bilbo gig) what with the unhappy severance from the Spiderman franchise, this could be his triumphant return to the big blockbuster arena? We shall see.

For all the inevitable conjecture about who’ll eventually take over, I’d also like to celebrate the simple fact of Guillermo’s artistic vistas widening overnight. That’s a massive plus for all of us. It means that he’ll be free to pursue the smaller scale projects AND the bigger ones, the intimate and the outrageous, the Lovecraft and the madness, and I’ll be cheering him on with the certainty I know him slightly better than before the Hobbit debacle, and I’ll tell you why: A couple of months (or few pages back) ago, I made a (slightly) narky post likening the interminable delays to Groundhog day. I wasn’t fully up to speed with the MGM situation either, so when Guillermo showed up in the thread, I could have reasonably expected a tongue-lashing for a bout of fanboy petulance, not least for the factual inaccuracies.

Instead, GDT expressed his empathy. His empathy with us, when the one who deserved it most was him. Might seem trivial, but I’ll always remember that as the mark of the man, and in many ways because of it, I’ll always wish him ten times more love, best wishes ( & empathy) in future personal projects we all know will be weird wonderful expressions of that unique creative mind. Here’s to hoping that creature notebook of his is soon bursting at the seams again. Heres’s to raising up the glass. And here’s to saying without a word of dewy eyed hyperbole The Hobbit just lost a towering talent - and soul.

Gods (and monsters) bless him in everything he does.

Damien, England.

(This post was edited by DamienEngland on May 31 2010, 10:33am)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 31 2010, 10:58am

Post #85 of 167 (3459 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, for all the hard work and creative energy you have poured into this project so far.

I am sad to see you leave the helm, but totally understand your reasons for doing so. Wishing you all the best for the future.

tennie75
Lorien

May 31 2010, 11:05am

Post #86 of 167 (3320 views)
Shortcut
so many thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so very much for all the effort you have expended on this project that you will not now be able to complete. I am saddened to read of your decision, but not at all surprised. You can't stand still - you have too many other wonderful movies to make. With all of the pre-pre-production work you have put in, here's hoping some of it will survive.

Most of all, I want to thank you for being "one of us". Every time I opened "Move Discussion - The Hobbit" I looked for your name to see if we had another juicy tidbit or update. I will certainly miss the connection you established with us, true fans of Tolkien's works.

I wish you all the best on your next projects.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2010, 11:41am

Post #87 of 167 (3103 views)
Shortcut
*mods up even further* Yep, you hit the nail on the..uh.. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2010, 11:50am

Post #88 of 167 (3062 views)
Shortcut
My heart goes out to Guillermo and the entire Hobbit team [In reply to] Can't Post

I have watched them put all their energy and passion into making wonderful films, and I'm sure all are feeling devastated by the decision. Guillermo, I can only imagine how difficult it was to leave, and I wish you all the best of luck. I'm so glad you were and are part of the writing team and look forward to your story.

As MrCere said, you are one of us now, and hope you can continue to be part of the TORN community. I have enjoyed your contributions very much.

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2010, 12:00pm

Post #89 of 167 (3216 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

sador
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 12:21pm

Post #90 of 167 (3172 views)
Shortcut
So perhaps now he will have the time [In reply to] Can't Post

to further contribute to TORn? (see question L)

Seriously speaking, I am no greta movie-goer, and I have absolutely no opinion on the artistic quality of either Guillermo or any of the names thrown about as possible replacments. But I did like very much the idea of GDT working together with Jackson on The Hobbit, as a good balance between the need for continuity and the need for a different flavour. I hope something similar might still work out.

But I feel acutely the blow to one of the most valued members of the TORn community, one who in his posts here has shown generosity, intelligence and creativity. And I appreciate very much his kindness in thinking of us on this day. Knowing next to nothing of him as a director, I have the greatest regard for him as a person. Sharing this community with him is not just a treat but a honour.

Keep well, Guillermo. Good luck in whatever you do next. And please consider TORn as your home.

A fair warning: I am a nitpicker by taste, talents and profession.

"When Tolkien took me off on the big adventure I was enthralled. By the time he brought me back. I had returned home from Viet Nam and things had changed... at last things looked like they were going to change for the better. But my little town was gone. It was part of the world now."
- Kangi Ska.

PettyMim
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 12:26pm

Post #91 of 167 (3638 views)
Shortcut
Lets hope it's not the provisional cast to go next! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Garlic Bread?!

Vangalad
Lorien

May 31 2010, 12:35pm

Post #92 of 167 (3391 views)
Shortcut
From the first moment [In reply to] Can't Post

i heard Guillermo was to direct the hobbit , i believed he would deliver a masterpiece because middle earth really was a place where he could develop all his wondrous talent...
Today's news is a huge blow to a series of ill and unfortunate surprises that this project holdsFrown.
It's hell of a bad luck to have all these obstacles during the hobbit's creation! I wish Guillermo finished these movies but now with his departure hope for two special movies is diminished..

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2010, 12:56pm

Post #93 of 167 (3306 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

Very sorry to hear the news but thank you for stopping by and participating in our forum throughout the journey. The delays must be so frustrating for everyone involved. Best of luck for whatever's next!

Penguin walking

Pipe Dream
Gondor

May 31 2010, 1:04pm

Post #94 of 167 (2949 views)
Shortcut
All too well. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know where and how to end this post. Nothing I've said seems enough, nor will be. I'm not angry, not frustrated, not... nothing! Today I want to be silent, I want to be by myself. I don't feel anything. I feel... numb! I wonder if you know that feeling...

Earl, reading your post felt like I was sitting through a eulogy and having been to a funeral recently, I again have that feeling of extreme sadness of loss, but fighting as hard as I can to not show any emotion as tears run down your face anyway. I feel sorry for whoever follows GDT. I think most fans will intrinsically dislike any replacement, (besides PJ) and we will always be left with wondering what could have been...because it would have been brilliant to be sure. I feel cheated.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 31 2010, 1:04pm

Post #95 of 167 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... What a harsh twist [In reply to] Can't Post

for a very committed and excited soul. Peter, Philippa, Fran and he had become a dynamo team to me. This is shockng! How he and they must have agonized; but how classy for them to think of us as this time. *bows deeply*

My second thought while trying to get my head around this, is that I hope Fran, Philippa and Peter will take on the directing. I KNOW I KNOW that Peter would prefer not to... but so many of the people in his filmic family who brought LotR to the screen are still there and know how to do Middle-earth so well. Peter wouldn't be starting from square one and overcoming so many hurdles every step of the way.

This is so sad. It's too bizarre and incredible not to have a reason for it. I've always found when doors slam shut like this, you have to keep your mind and heart open and just listen to that small voice inside so you can see other doors open and possibilities presenting themselves. This is too huge not to have a reason for it.

Take care, Mr. del Toro. I'm so sorry for this. I was excited to see what you had in store for us!

Peter... please consider directing. Please.

*goes off to Gestalt*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 31 2010, 1:14pm

Post #96 of 167 (3276 views)
Shortcut
*tearing* You can't say fairer than that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry for this heartbreak... not just for the films... but for your family and for you personally. I've moved several times in my lifetime, and it's so hard on the children. This isn't your fault. Life puts demands on us and we have to do what we know is right for the family. You're doing that, and I'm so impressed.

Thank you for your love and enthusiasm for this project. I'm so glad you're still going to be involved to whatever degree... and I'm delighted that we'll still see your dreams for the film will still be there for us to share with you. And thank you for your respect for us... for keeping us involved and feeling like we're a part of the project... which we are because of your generosity and for Peter's.

You did good. You're forever a member of this filmic Fellowship, imho... and of TORn. Don't be a stranger even though things have changed. It doesn't mean it's over :)

*warm hug* Peace, sir. It's okay.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Eruthurin
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 1:17pm

Post #97 of 167 (3344 views)
Shortcut
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( *No words* // [In reply to] Can't Post

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en la Tierra Media!.... :D

Anduril1993
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 1:45pm

Post #98 of 167 (3255 views)
Shortcut
wow that was completely out of the blue!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

but maybe now PJ can direct the two movies

i was known as hary786118

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shal be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 31 2010, 1:49pm

Post #99 of 167 (3446 views)
Shortcut
What a gut-wrenching decision this must have been [In reply to] Can't Post

Having had the privilege of having small glimpses into the depth of your intellect, character and emotion, I have no doubt that you looked at this long and hard, from every possible angle, and made the only decision you could have made. One of my favorite sayings is: "Life is what happens when you're making other plans" (which can be bad, but it can also be very, very good). It isn't surprising that life was moving on and that, resist as you might, you eventually had to move with it.

Your life will eventually move on from The Hobbit, and you will have many successes down the road. But know that you've made a very valuable and important imprint on the movie, on TORn and on our hearts. As others have said, you are, and will remain, a dear member of our community, and always welcome here.

Blessings to you and your family,

Altaira

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Elven
Valinor

May 31 2010, 2:16pm

Post #100 of 167 (3244 views)
Shortcut
I will always hope GdT ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Guillermo –
How can I ever express the immensity of what you have given to us all here on tORN – the enormity of your generous soul, your shining enthusiasm and passion, the glimpses of hope you shared, the grasps of your extraordinary visions that kept us talking for weeks & years, your vitality and excitement in looking forward to creating the Hobbit, your cheek and humour, your devotion and dedication... *sigh –This news... it feels like someone punched a hole in my heart, I feel sad, like losing a friend whose visit was too short, a silent mentor... life throws us all some amazing twists and turns - this is one of them.

Personally, I wanted to say thank-you for being such an inspiration, and a allowing us all to take the ride with you through this part of The Hobbits journey. Thank-you for the respect and affection you showed for Tolkien’s work and to all of us fans here. I know your stamp will be in the scripting so not all is lost. You’ll always be a Tornsib to me, to us, always part of the family. I hope you pop in every now and again to tORN after the dust settles –heck, otherwise we will miss your wit and charm.

I will though remain optimistic, I put a little pocket of hope aside – my hope is that there is the chance that you will consider some Directorship involvement in the Hobbit/s down the track, just one Hobbit film, and I will still be looking for your cameo appearance – I really did want to see you running around in the background with your shirt over your head... and I will be looking forward to seeing your larger than life creative signature throughout the films, especially Smaug. There lie my hopes.

I’m not going to say ‘good-bye’ – but I am going to wish you every future success, a field full of dreams realized, every opportunity to be laid at your feet, a wealth of happiness, and the luck of the Hobbits.
Bless you, you rascal! Wink

Elven

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.