Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORN Exclusive: Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2010, 2:26am

Post #26 of 167 (4113 views)
Shortcut
This is sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was one who did not think PJ *had* to direct The Hobbit. I thought it would be nice but I was open to other directors and when Guillermo was chosen to work with PJ, I was not unhappy. As I grew to 'know' Guillermo more, as much as one can by hearing how he works and having him interact with fans and address their concerns on TORn's message boards, I came to be more and more happy with the choice. I liked this man and I didn't know what he would do with The Hobbit but I was ready for him to show me.

Having him leave like this is just sad. I felt a heaviness in my heart reading his and PJ's words. I don't know how he feels having to make this decision but I can imagine he feels a fair (if not more) amount of disappointment himself and I feel bad for that too.

I hope that things can get resolved in regards to The Hobbit. I understand that the people who can make things happen don't have any feelings for this movie more than what its earning potential is. And the people who care deeply can do no more than sit and wait with patience for other things to fall into place. If only we could find some way for one team to feel just a part of what the other feels so keenly. Could we gift them with some of the Tolkien magic that seems to leave changed lives in its wake?

Here's a shout out to Guillermo: I am sorry this had to be. I wish you well. I will miss your presence in whatever future this project has.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

May 31 2010, 2:30am

Post #27 of 167 (3760 views)
Shortcut
I really, really wish it was April 1st [In reply to] Can't Post

I am devastated over the loss of GDT as director, but if it was his decision, then I can respect that.

I still remember meeting you, Mr. Del Toro, and it was such a joy. I am glad that you are still sticking around for the writing, and hope the best in your future endeavors.

And here's to finding a director as eager and joyous as GDT and PJ.

On a side note, seems the servers being the first to receive the news are being hit hard! Took me half a dozen refreshes/back-spaces just to get this posted.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

filmfreak3000
The Shire

May 31 2010, 3:02am

Post #28 of 167 (3548 views)
Shortcut
Ok, this sucks....but! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think those calling death are jumping the gun a wee bit. Remember, there was a period where the Trilogy was going to get condensed into one film, by Disney. It was originally suppose to be two films. But deals were made, and we got the Trilogy as it is.

Kristin, perhaps you could share a bit of historical perspective. (Love the book, by the by.)

PJ has said a few times that once writing got going, he kinda wished he was directing. Seeing it only in print, it's kinda hard to judge how sincere he was in those remarks or if it just sounded good for the print story. I'm willing to bet the former. I think there is a high chance he ends up doing it. It would allow for the smoothest transition, as he's been just as involved as del Toro has.

If it is to be PJ, I bet we'll learn that sooner rather than later.

If not, I second the Cuaron nomination.

-There's no charge for awesomeness

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 31 2010, 3:08am

Post #29 of 167 (3440 views)
Shortcut
your subject line [In reply to] Can't Post

and Pipe Dream's were my exact thoughts:
"WHAT?!"
followed by "gah! it's not April Fool's Day"

when I first found out GdT was directing, I was skeptical, but but now I've gotten into the idea, I was very excited at his directing The Hobbit

and yes, the site is being REALLY slow

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

ringer5150
The Shire

May 31 2010, 3:10am

Post #30 of 167 (3881 views)
Shortcut
Indeed it feels like a cruel joke [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown Very sad. One of the weta dgtl interns who I've got to meet at a gdt booksigning and have become friends with is also leaving the production. Very sad indeed. Let's hope a suitable replacement is found.

Seven Fathers

May 31 2010, 3:35am

Post #31 of 167 (3434 views)
Shortcut
Who will be next to go... [In reply to] Can't Post

As difficult as this process of waiting has been for fans, imagine how difficult it must be for the actors and crew. I'm sure that other talented people will tire of waiting around as well, and maybe won't accept the jobs when they are offered. Lets face it, these people have other jobs to do.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 3:36am

Post #32 of 167 (3379 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* Beautifully said Compa! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I add my best wishes to Guillermo too, and thank him for all his incredible input that he has placed into these two movies over the last two years. And for his patience with all of us ravenous fans.

sample

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

~TORnado Babies~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Woodyend
Gondor

May 31 2010, 3:45am

Post #33 of 167 (3417 views)
Shortcut
I know this was a heartbreaking decision for GdT and family. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so sorry you have been put in this position by MGM. I wish you good fortune and smooth sailing in all your endeavors.
I’m sorry to say he will probably not be the last to pull up stakes and head out to other projects.
And as for MGM, Gollum said it best. “We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!!”

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2010, 4:03am

Post #34 of 167 (3632 views)
Shortcut
This is very sad news. Mr. del Toro, we understand and we wish you the very best. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a truly unfortunate casualty of the MGM story.

Added to this misery is the knowledge that PJ isn't going to pick up the directing reigns, unless he's changed his mind from his earlier comment that he didn't want, essentially, to compete against himself and LotR.

Good grief: if Shay hadn't blocked PJ's way right after LotR, these movies would be ON DVD by now.

I wish Guillermo much success with his other movie plans.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 4:07am

Post #35 of 167 (4210 views)
Shortcut
2008 + "six years" = ???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you notice what Peter said? "The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years."

Guillermo moved to NZ in 2008. 2008 + "six years" = 2014. So is he saying the likely dates for the movies are 2013 and 2014?

Read my report:
Del Toro leaving the Hobbit

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole
Check out my review of the new Fan Film, Born of Hope. Born of Hope is first-rate film and great story

Woodyend
Gondor

May 31 2010, 4:16am

Post #36 of 167 (3279 views)
Shortcut
I hope he will be well compensated for his work.// [In reply to] Can't Post

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Shadow and Flame

May 31 2010, 4:24am

Post #37 of 167 (3406 views)
Shortcut
Email Concerns to MGM [In reply to] Can't Post

comments@mgm.com

Let them know how you feel about how they are "carroting" the Hobbit films along with no apparent intention to greenlight until they are bailed out.

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2010, 4:26am

Post #38 of 167 (3375 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if Fran has ever considered directing a whole film? [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't she direct some of the best scenes from LotR? Frodo and Sam in the boat, for example?

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Morthoron
Gondor

May 31 2010, 4:30am

Post #39 of 167 (3450 views)
Shortcut
This does not bode well... [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter what spin you care to place on Mr. del Toro's departure, it is certainly disheartening. The cynic in me (and the cynic that dwells within is quite large and trollish) tells me that GdT's departure was not strictly about 'time' and the expenditure thereof. But I will desist from any rumor-mongering at the moment.

I must say I will certainly miss Mr. del Toro's candor on these boards. And I will really missing seeing GDT's take on Tolkien. I was truly looking forward to seeing the difference between his and PJ's style.

"I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy." -- Charles Manson

Ruijor
Rohan

May 31 2010, 4:39am

Post #40 of 167 (3294 views)
Shortcut
Amarth faed! :( [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter how sad this news can be I only wish that the whole project won´t go down the toilet...

Damn you MGM! We can now only have faith in a positive resolution for this film to happen, someone please get your heads straight and save Bilbo Baggins!

Guillermo Del Toro: muchas gracias por tu dedicacion a esto, saludos de Portugal amigo! Buena sorte para tu vida e tu carrera a el cine.

Woodyend
Gondor

May 31 2010, 4:44am

Post #41 of 167 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Also didn’t Viggo and Andy want to get into directing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I pray this may be so.

They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 5:07am

Post #42 of 167 (3470 views)
Shortcut
What can I say? [In reply to] Can't Post

PiratePiratePiratePiratePiratePiratePirate

Kangi Ska

There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Man on Fire

Vingilot

May 31 2010, 5:17am

Post #43 of 167 (3543 views)
Shortcut
Alfonso Cuarón [In reply to] Can't Post

Cast my vote for Alfonso Cuarón. He has my total confidence as a director who can do amazing things with fantasy. PRISONER OF AZKABAN is the finest Harry Potter movie by FAR...

rings7
Rohan

Post #44 of 167 (3272 views)
Shortcut
I'm sad [In reply to] Can't Post

As painful and totally unexpected news as it is, i completely understand Guillermo on this decision. I mean, gimme a break, a whole eternity and nothing going on. No green light and time won't wait and he's still there in NZ. 6 years is a lot to be in one place that's not even your own.

I do hope now that Peter takes over and get this done once and for all.

hobbiton28
The Shire

Post #45 of 167 (3681 views)
Shortcut
Really hope the rest of Weta Workshop dont jump ship too.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Living on Cuba Street in Wellington city centre I go to visit the Weta cave every other week.. When I was last there just over a week ago one of the production team mentioned to me that MGM really need to come to an agreement other wise a lot of the talent would have to leave the studio. I certainly didnt expect GDT to be included!! but I totally appreciate the situation. I met him in London last year and he expressed how much he F****** loves living in Wellington so Im sure this is a really low time for him seeing as hes devoted 2 years to the project already.. Ive heard conflicting reports on casting tho.. On one hand I heard back from 3foot7 that extras applications had been flooding in and wont even be looked at for quite some time.. And on the other I overheard someone on Courtney Place last w/e saying how they knew of someone that was going for an audition.. Who knows.. Either way the loss of GDT is terrible news.. Fingers crossed Mr Jackson steps back into the reigns sooner rather than later!!

filmfreak3000
The Shire

May 31 2010, 5:19am

Post #46 of 167 (3153 views)
Shortcut
maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps this is in consideration of Extended versions. You know there will be...

In Reply To
Did you notice what Peter said? "The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years."

Guillermo moved to NZ in 2008. 2008 + "six years" = 2014. So is he saying the likely dates for the movies are 2013 and 2014?

Read my report:
Del Toro leaving the Hobbit

-There's no charge for awesomeness

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 5:24am

Post #47 of 167 (3198 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish you nothing but the very best in life. I am having a tough time getting my head around this. I am starting to believe in curses. I am sure you understand. I am looking forward to your next film project. Maybe a little Lovecraft.

Kangi Ska

There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Man on Fire

Gandalf'sMother
Rohan

May 31 2010, 5:26am

Post #48 of 167 (3609 views)
Shortcut
Two suggestions: Cuaron or Scott [In reply to] Can't Post

This is truly unfortunate news, to say the least.

However, in the spirit of thinking positively, I would like to submit two directors who I believe could do much justice to this story.

1. Alfonso Cuaron.

And if he is not around:

2. Ridley Scott.

Cuaron's work, from Children of Men, to his take on the Potter Universe, to Y Tu Mama Tambien is phenomenal, and he has an excellent understanding of the reality of the fantastic. Scott, a master of the epic, would likely give us, well, something quite epic!
I urge PJ, Fran, Philippa and GDT to not go the route of choosing a no-name director that will be puppeted by them. Go with someone brilliant and accomplished.

ringer5150
The Shire

May 31 2010, 5:27am

Post #49 of 167 (4233 views)
Shortcut
Indeed... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Living on Cuba Street in Wellington city centre I go to visit the Weta cave every other week.. When I was last there just over a week ago one of the production team mentioned to me that MGM really need to come to an agreement other wise a lot of the talent would have to leave the studio. I certainly didnt expect GDT to be included!! but I totally appreciate the situation. I met him in London last year and he expressed how much he F****** loves living in Wellington so Im sure this is a really low time for him seeing as hes devoted 2 years to the project already.. Ive heard conflicting reports on casting tho.. On one hand I heard back from 3foot7 that extras applications had been flooding in and wont even be looked at for quite some time.. And on the other I overheard someone on Courtney Place last w/e saying how they knew of someone that was going for an audition.. Who knows.. Either way the loss of GDT is terrible news.. Fingers crossed Mr Jackson steps back into the reigns sooner rather than later!!

Indeed another concern.

Nimloth
Lorien

May 31 2010, 5:33am

Post #50 of 167 (3404 views)
Shortcut
Very sad news [In reply to] Can't Post

I was shocked when I first read the news, thinking it must be a joke, but no Unsure. Having seen and loved Pan's Labyrinth I was excited to hear Guillermo was to be The Hobbit's director. His enthusiasm and vision for the project, and his accessibility to and for fans through Torn was great to see and be part of. I wish him well in his other projects.

To me, this doesn't bode well for a 'green light' in the near future, which is hugely disappointing and I wonder now just what lies ahead for the whole project.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.