Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Memorial Day Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 29 2010, 3:40am

Post #176 of 278 (985 views)
Shortcut
Well, that was in Nebraska . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

where I grew up. NY was college and beyond (limiited infinity available, lightyears not included, or so goes the buzz . . . Wink).

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 3:46am

Post #177 of 278 (1008 views)
Shortcut
*puts quarter in juke box* [In reply to] Can't Post

which do you want:
Walking on Sunshine
Here Comes the Sun
or
Waitin' on a Sunny Day ?

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

ShyElf
Lorien

May 29 2010, 4:03am

Post #178 of 278 (987 views)
Shortcut
Well..... [In reply to] Can't Post

....when I used to chaperone all the kids at the cons, I noticed that many of the costumes show a lot of skin. But, still - the costumes are great! And - if you're comfortable in you skin, well I say - go for it!

My daughter and her friend won for their costumes at a convention last summer - for "cleanest craftmanship" for these anime characters they worked on for about 6 months. They were delighted! I remember the excited phone call that Sunday morning when they got their results. So the two of them started on another team project - a very difficult project I must say. They're not ready for this weekends convention, but they are hoping to have them ready for the one they go to in the summer.

They did get into a great photo shoot at another convention last March for a new cosplay magazine that was just released today at the convention they're at this weekend - and they are over the moon tonight because their pictures are in it. It's a great picture! Their excitement is delightful to watch. "I'm keeping this forever and I'm going to show it to my grandchildren!" Adorable.

Just about got everyone settled down for the night - best get some sleep so I can face the busy morning!

Cheers!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 29 2010, 4:20am

Post #179 of 278 (1016 views)
Shortcut
My husband's Polish grandmother [In reply to] Can't Post

used to call him "Mr. Kapusta" ("Mr. cabbage," he said. Meaning stinker?), or "Tak a schveenya" (not the real spelling, I know), "What a pig." Any of these sound familiar?Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2010, 4:26am

Post #180 of 278 (996 views)
Shortcut
I roast them, [In reply to] Can't Post

especially with a beef roast, because - as you say - boiling them removes any flavour whatsoever. Tip: The smaller ones are the sweetest.

And thanks for you note below about yams in the US - I had an inkling that US and NZ yams were different vegetables so it's good to get confirmation. :)

By the way how do you 'candy' a vegetable? And why would you want to?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 29 2010, 4:28am

Post #181 of 278 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Oh crikey Ro, [In reply to] Can't Post

you really are getting punched from all directions, aren't you?

I've wondered how you're going down there with all the rain. Everything is saturated up here but nothing like what the South Island has been getting. And now you've got snow coming in. Ain't winter grand?

I hope you're feeling better today.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 5:21am

Post #182 of 278 (964 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but to my knowledge NYC was the 1st in the nation to ban trans fat in restaurants// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 5:22am

Post #183 of 278 (989 views)
Shortcut
couldn't a' been those clingy outfits and masks, could it? ;-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 5:24am

Post #184 of 278 (991 views)
Shortcut
for a second there I thought you were calling NYC a nation [In reply to] Can't Post

I read "1st nation"
instead of "1st in the nation"

perhaps I should get some sleep...

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 5:28am

Post #185 of 278 (994 views)
Shortcut
I should too (get some sleep). But in 34 more minutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

my b-day will be over and I will perforce have to return to my drab, wretched "life" (paraphrasing Tom Lehrer) Besides, I want to come up with one more mathom to give before it's over.

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 5:33am

Post #186 of 278 (1004 views)
Shortcut
ROFLMTFBO!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

<wipes tears from eyes> Oh my GOODness Eowyn! The image of you with a hat and yellow boots astride Laddie singing Bombadillian silliness is PRICELESS! BWA! HAHAHAHAHA!!! I can just IMAGINE that for a caption contest for what Laddie is thinking in that scene! Oh my! hee hee hee hee hee!

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 5:37am

Post #187 of 278 (976 views)
Shortcut
well, I can't miss that then [In reply to] Can't Post

plus I was thinking about going to sleep at about the next hour

tomorrow you can have a very happy unbirthday Tongue

eh, I can sleep in tomorrow...

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 5:39am

Post #188 of 278 (962 views)
Shortcut
Still more... [In reply to] Can't Post

You Are My Sunshine

Sunshine On My Shoulder

Good Day Sunshine

You Are the Sunshine of My Life

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 5:41am

Post #189 of 278 (967 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'd best get to work then as I've "only" got 19 minutes left! ;-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 5:52am

Post #190 of 278 (981 views)
Shortcut
tick tock [In reply to] Can't Post

though you could claim a different time zone Wink

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 6:09am

Post #191 of 278 (965 views)
Shortcut
Last one is posted in Fan Art [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm not a poet I used to TRY to write some. Anyway it's posted and I do believe it's time for bed!

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 6:12am

Post #192 of 278 (964 views)
Shortcut
yeah, that would probably be a good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

zzzzzz.........

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 6:13am

Post #193 of 278 (976 views)
Shortcut
hey, that put me in Rohan [In reply to] Can't Post

now I've just got to find a horse

on that note, I should actually go to bed instead of just talking about it Angelic

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 6:15am

Post #194 of 278 (958 views)
Shortcut
<shouts so he can hear all the way back in the Mark> [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch out for the Rohirrim women! They can.....

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 6:16am

Post #195 of 278 (964 views)
Shortcut
you going to finish that sentence? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 6:19am

Post #196 of 278 (979 views)
Shortcut
Since I'm now too far away for you to hear... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was intended as an invite for others to fill it in humourously. By the bye, welcome to Rohan! Congrats on making it there! You'll get tired of hearing "The Old Grey Mare" after awhile! Tongue

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 6:26am

Post #197 of 278 (994 views)
Shortcut
so if you're too far away for me to hear you [In reply to] Can't Post

how come you're still talking to me? Tongue

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 8:49am

Post #198 of 278 (989 views)
Shortcut
US yams [In reply to] Can't Post

are very like orange kumara, only perhaps even sweeter. US sweet potatoes are a bit like the lighter-colored kumara, whichever-color-you-call-them, the ones that come out more yellowy-golden when cooked. But some people call US yams sweet potatoes, just to make things more confusing. But as far as I've ever seen, there's nothing in the US like the NZ yam!

Candying US yams is a traditional Thanksgiving-style way to cook them. The way I know how to do it is to cook them first (boil or bake), then mash them up with a bunch of brown sugar, add pineapple (crushed or in chunks), spread in baking dish, and then top with a good pile of marshmallows (which I've found called Mallow Bakes here -- do you call them marshmallows too?). Decadently sweet -- at least it's low fat!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 9:01am

Post #199 of 278 (968 views)
Shortcut
I'm done with winter already [In reply to] Can't Post

and it hasn't even really started yet. Sigh. We're too close to the beach usually to get much in the way of snow, but that's not much comfort since if I have to put up with wet miserably cold weather, I'd rather have snow to play in than mudpuddles. The last week has reminded me of the worst of midwinters that we used to have back in Tacoma, Washington in the US (a region notorious for heavy, incessant winter rains). I sure was happy to leave those winters behind!

I'm better today, thanks. And NZ Toddler has promised not to investigate his nappy again that closely. But his memory for promises lasts about 30 seconds, so I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile, I'm dressing him in overalls.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 9:15am

Post #200 of 278 (983 views)
Shortcut
Ah, maple syrup. [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgot that ingredient. Yes, that adds some nice flavor.

Sure, feel free to post some of those logic puzzles. I'd have too much trouble trying to dig them up on my nearly-defunct old computer, anyways. Feel free to give me whatever notoriety (or credit) seems appropriate. Oddly, just a couple of days ago while doing a sudoku puzzle, I contemplated the fact that sudoku puzzles are really just a simple exercise in logic, and that I really missed proper logic puzzles (which I don't think I'd thought about in several years). Anyways, I'd be pleased that those ones get some more use! :-)

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.