Happy Memorial Day Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

May 28 2010, 4:05pm

Post #1 of 278 (2343 views)
Shortcut
Happy Memorial Day Fiesta! Can't Post

Yes, it's a 3-day weekend for U.S. TORnadoes (we actually had a few tornadoes touch down here in Colorado on Thursday - so hopefully they'll stay away over the weekend Shocked). So, the barbeques, camping gear and picnic items will be dusted off (if they haven't been already) and put to good use again.

BG and I have a really nice picnic backpack we got as a wedding gift, so we're hoping to fill it full of sarnies, soda and maybe even a little bubbly and find a nice place to picnic on a trail somewhere. Other than that, my own weekend will be packed with work as a client deadline is looming. So, this will be a drive-by Fiesta for moi. Frown But, work now means days off later in June - so it's all good!

Tell us what your weekend plans are, no matter where you live or what you're doing. And, most of all, have a good one!!!

*kicks juke box* "Riders on the Storm" by The Doors starts to play.

Happy, fun weekend, all!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 28 2010, 4:17pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 28 2010, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 278 (1870 views)
Shortcut
*pops in with to-go mug* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just fill this with some coffee, Altaira, I've got to rush off also.

Memorial Day celebrations at the school here; we just finished herding groups of kids into the Library to Skype with servicemen in Iraq, now we're setting up for a luncheon for the town's senior citizens and servicepeople. Lots of different uniforms walking around here!

But the kids are asking great questions, and those abroad seem to be really enjoying this as well.

A picnic on a trail in the Rockies - now that is romantic! Heart Have a wonderful time, you two, and try to not work too hard, Altaira! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Eventides
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:12pm

Post #3 of 278 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Happy Memorial Day! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yikes about the tornadoes and the work-weekend, Altaira Unimpressed -- glad you're safe, and hope the work goes well (and quickly, so you can enjoy the picnic! :) ).

As for me, if anyone's interested, the review I was speaking of last week did get posted, and it's of the excellent little video game Portal. :)

*gets Spring/Summer Usual* Hope everyone has a great weekend!! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

(This post was edited by Eventides on May 28 2010, 4:13pm)

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 28 2010, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 278 (1868 views)
Shortcut
It's a long weekend here too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Spring Bank Holiday! Smile

So I'll just help myself to my special mug of beer before finishing off the last bit of work before going home.

Hopefully the nice weather will hold over the weekend.

Cheers all

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

(This post was edited by Hengist on May 28 2010, 4:15pm)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:14pm

Post #5 of 278 (1861 views)
Shortcut
perfect blue sky now [In reply to] Can't Post

let's hope it stays that way for the weekend

I moved out of my dorm and into one of the campus theme houses for the summer

I've started my internship, though my adviser has been gone all week
so I'm learning fortran, actually I just finished reading the book on it that my prof lent me
It doesn't seem too hard, but we'll see what I think once I start working with actual programs for the research

My family is coming to visit me this weekend, which is exciting Smile

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:15pm

Post #6 of 278 (1862 views)
Shortcut
Happy Fiesta, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't work too hard, Altaira, and have a nice hike and picnic!

Just iced tea for OhioHobbit and me. He is working at spraying poison ivy and I am just laying around hoping the shingles leaves soonest.

I had hoped to start planting my garden this weekend, but . . .

We are supposed to get rain today, but they keep downgrading the chances, so maybe it will miss us.

Everyone have a nice weekend and U.S. sibs have a nice holiday weekend!

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

May 28 2010, 4:17pm

Post #7 of 278 (1870 views)
Shortcut
What's sarnies, precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whatever it is, it sounds delicious. Between picnics, cookies and bacon I must be hungry.

Side note: at the wedding I was at last weekend, a guest there had the name "Hobbit." He was born in Minnesota, grew up in the jungles of Peru, and is attending seminary on some mountain top. Quite the character! He had a big bushy beard, though, which was a bit out of place for a hobbit Smile

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28 2010, 4:17pm

Post #8 of 278 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Three Days Off! Woohoo!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like a great way to spend a piece of it, Altaira :) I hope the weather stays amicable for you guys.

I'm bonding with my Mom and helping with LOTS of cleaning and repairs around the house... which is going to be a wonderful relief!

I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend (whether it's 3 or 2 days long) and remembers to stay safe!

HUGGLES TO ALL!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:18pm

Post #9 of 278 (1881 views)
Shortcut
that's a neat idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure the servicemen really appreciate it

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:19pm

Post #10 of 278 (1862 views)
Shortcut
Woo! It's a 3 day weekend here too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oooh Altaira, I've been eyeing up those picnic backpacks for quite some time, I think this may be the year I buy one!

Mostly house-job plans this weekend, though hopefully we will have time for a good hike or bike ride. Work has been busy, I could do with a break, but the kitchen isn't going to remodel itself!

We've had lots of fun with our chiminea/BBQ this week, and have some friends coming over for dinner tomorrow night. My Dad is home alone for a week or so, so I'm trying to get him to come here for dinner, but it's proving difficult! He thinks he's being a burden, which just isn't the case, I just like having him round for dinner!

Oh, and I got a cake order in this week! Which is very exciting, I love baking cakes, but it's even better when I get paid to do it!

Happy long weekend all!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:19pm

Post #11 of 278 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Gee . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortran? I learned fortran about 24 years ago and didn't know anyone was still using it.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:23pm

Post #12 of 278 (1848 views)
Shortcut
sounds a bit adventurous for a hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

must have some Took blood in him Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28 2010, 4:25pm

Post #13 of 278 (1867 views)
Shortcut
Campus life always seems to be [In reply to] Can't Post

moving around like a chess piece. No where to just let the dust collect and not worry about new surroundings. BUT, hopefully, you're one of those who enjoys the action!

Have a great holiday, Oiotari :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 28 2010, 4:26pm

Post #14 of 278 (1835 views)
Shortcut
Sandwiches [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like BG's britisms er sorry kiwi-isms are rubbing off.

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 4:26pm

Post #15 of 278 (1851 views)
Shortcut
News of the World... [In reply to] Can't Post

Great album cover for Queen back in 1977. That over-played sports anthem combination of "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions was on this album.
No sad news this week only because today is my birthday so I'm not gonna dwell on any of what's currently going on. Safe journey to hikers, safe eating to grillers, and STUPENDOUSLY HAPPY weekend to all! I'll be posting birthday mathoms as I come up with them throughout the day but to honour the holiday (which I know is a U.S. Holiday only, but most every country around the world has a version) a little history:

Originally thought to have been observed May 1, 1865 under the name of "Decoration Day" at what is now Hampton Park, South Carolina. The park had been used as a temporary POW camp for Union soldiers and also as a mass grave for those who died there. After the end of the Civil War, former slaves exhumed the bodies in the mass grave and gave them all a proper individual burial and built a fence around the graveyard with an arched entryway and called it a Union cemetary. The work was completed in only 10 days. On May 1, 1865, the Charleston newspaper reported that a crowd of up to ten thousand, mainly black residents, including 2800 children, proceeded to the location for included sermons, singing, and a picnic on the grounds, thereby creating the first Decoration Day. In 1866 the day was set as May 30th because that was NOT the anniversary of a particular battle. The name "Memorial Day" was first used in 1882, but that name did not become popular until after WWII and it did not become a Federal Holiday until 1967.

There is never a good war or a bad peace, but may all those who have served be remembered with kindness and honored for their service to others.

Hmmm. I'll have a double-tall mug of what Hengist is having, please-and-thank-you?

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

(This post was edited by GAndyalf on May 28 2010, 4:29pm)

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

May 28 2010, 4:27pm

Post #16 of 278 (1847 views)
Shortcut
See, I knew they sounded delicious. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28 2010, 4:28pm

Post #17 of 278 (1836 views)
Shortcut
I hope you feel better, Alcarcalime! [In reply to] Can't Post

You finally get to play in the garden and this happens. :(

You'll have to let me know how the poison ivy battle goes. I have quite a crop waiting for me in the back yard. I was hoping to tackle it just after the Spring thaw before it started filling out again... but couldn't get to it in time.

I hope you two have a wonderful weekend!!

sample sample

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:32pm

Post #18 of 278 (1831 views)
Shortcut
Better living through chemistry! [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit likes Weed-be-gone broadleaf weed killer. It does a nifty job! Our biggest problem is that all our neighbors seem to think it is an ornamental plant -- they never try to get rid of it and the birds spread it to our property.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:35pm

Post #19 of 278 (1821 views)
Shortcut
I hope you have a very happy birthday // [In reply to] Can't Post

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:37pm

Post #20 of 278 (1844 views)
Shortcut
do your neighbors realize what plant it is? [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

Eventides
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:39pm

Post #21 of 278 (1827 views)
Shortcut
Thank you... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the history, GAndyalf-- and for your own military service, as well!

And as I mentioned in your Birthday thread, I hope you have a great Birthday, and that everything really does work out well!

Eventides' Website!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:39pm

Post #22 of 278 (1828 views)
Shortcut
Around here, [In reply to] Can't Post

it seems if you aren't allergic to poison ivy, you don't worry about getting rid of it.

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 4:40pm

Post #23 of 278 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Fortran and Cobol are still alive and well and living in ancient mainframes... [In reply to] Can't Post

And a few and sundry other systems. Kind of the Warren Buffet way. He's known to be very frugal.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:42pm

Post #24 of 278 (1837 views)
Shortcut
It a pain to have to pack everything up [In reply to] Can't Post

But my dad came and helped me, so that made it a lot easier

The action can be nice, except for when your completely lost as to what's going on and what the housing office, etc. want you to do Crazy

the house is nice though, and big, there's 15 people living here, or there will be, once they all move in
for instance, my roommate for the summer dropped her stuff off on Monday (but at a different time than I moved in), but I haven't actually seen her yet.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 4:45pm

Post #25 of 278 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Happy Memorial Day to our American TORnsibs! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed the Fiesta last week, since it was my last day at work and school. I have officially finished University (only 3 pending exams next week are left) and I left work to have a couple months of rest before starting gradate school in September, so these are exciting times!

This weekend will be familiar, I guess. My two cousins will celebrate their Confirmation (a Catholic sacrament in which the person, now consciously, confirms the Christian vows and promises their parents and godparents made for them during their baptism) and we will go celebrate that a cousin of mine has just been informed he no longer has cancer, which he has been fighting for 6 or 7 months now (he didn't know about it before).

So I guess its a good week. Smile Hope you all have fun, and all the best wishes for yor weekend!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.