Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What was your first fantasy/sci-fi love?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What was your first fantasy/sci-fi love?
H P Lovecraft
H G Wells
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Isaac Asimov (any)
Robert A Heinlein (any)
Andrew Lang (any)
CS Lewis (any)
JRR Tolkien (any)
Original Series Star Trek
Later "Trek" incarnation
2001: A Space Odyssey
Star Wars (any)
Ursula K LeGuin (any)
Anne McCaffrey (any)
Lord of the Rings movies (any)
Terminator (any)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
View Results (60 votes)

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 2:23am

Post #1 of 63 (750 views)
Shortcut
What was your first fantasy/sci-fi love? Can't Post

I saw quite a lot of Star Wars on Arwen's Daughter's thread about Geek Day so I thought it would be fun to post a SMALL smattering of s-f (as Asimov preferred to call it) and fantasy to see what was your first step towards a more wonderful world?

My very first isn't even on this list though my most beloved obviously is. I invite everyone to pick one from the list (the poll does not allow multiple answers) and share one that didn't make the list (as that would've made the poll EXCRUCIATINGLY long!)

Namarie, mellyn!

GAndyalf

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 2:30am

Post #2 of 63 (427 views)
Shortcut
Geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

there are some great things on that list. Star Wars for me. Saw A New Hope and was hooked....completely. Soon after that I was introduced to Tolkien....years later it was Asimov's Foundation series.....Star Wars & Tolkien were always 1a and 1b....but Tolkien is definitely #1 now, by a long shot. Has been since about Phantom Menace's release and LOTR coming out on film.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 28 2010, 2:57am

Post #3 of 63 (427 views)
Shortcut
Tough choice [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember sitting with my dad and watching Star Trek: TNG every week, so that's what I voted for. Heinlien and Arthur C. Clarke would be a very close second. Once I discovered the world of SF at the library, I ran through their shelves faster than the school librarian could order them for me.

film fanNo.7
Bree

May 28 2010, 3:26am

Post #4 of 63 (434 views)
Shortcut
Narnia rocked my world! [In reply to] Can't Post

but the Harry Potter series would definetly be the first fantasy I read. In fact It was the first "chapter book" I ever read all on my own! This is when I was much younger of course. But of the list given the Chronicles of Narnia was(or is it were) the second "real" fantasy series I read.

Magpie
Immortal

May 28 2010, 3:33am

Post #5 of 63 (422 views)
Shortcut
Where is the choice : Other? [In reply to] Can't Post

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. It wasn't my first science fiction or fantasy but it was the one that changed the way I thought about things. I think I might still have my original copy.

It's interesting that I felt at the time (late 60's) that Childhood's End had changed my life in a way. I know I read LOTR around the same time and, although I liked it a lot, I didn't feel it changed anything in me.

35 years later, LOTR changed my life like a hurricane.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 28 2010, 3:54am

Post #6 of 63 (396 views)
Shortcut
I have many firsts, [In reply to] Can't Post

and its as if each one is a sliver in a big stained glass window--each one has a different "color," and targeted rather different parts of my soul (although there's some overlap).

I believe Narnia was first, then the Lloyd Alexander series (The Chronicles of Prydain)), then LOTR: all these on one side of the color spectrum for me. Then at pretty much the same time, I made my way through "stow-away-on-a-spaceship" generic Sci-Fi, until I found Asimov and Clarke and--best of all--Bradbury. I liked LeGuin on and off, too. And in a related color scheme would be the Star Treks. All of them--the shows, not most of the movies. Star Wars just didn't appeal to me as much, although I enjoyed it.

Thanks for a great poll!

Patty
Immortal

May 28 2010, 4:24am

Post #7 of 63 (415 views)
Shortcut
I was into some of the 50's sci-fi books that were written.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Wild Talent" and "The Fittest" come to mind. Later I liked the likes of Day of the Triffids, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. As I got older, I got more into fantasy with Lord of the Rings. It remains the only fantasy that I fell in love with.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 28 2010, 4:29am

Post #8 of 63 (560 views)
Shortcut
Lloyd Alexander - The Book of Three {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

Eldy
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 5:24am

Post #9 of 63 (372 views)
Shortcut
Either Harry Potter or Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

My mum gave me a copy of the first Harry Potter book (I refuse to call it Sorcerer's Stone) when I was between four and six and I started watching the Star Wars movies when I was about five. I don't recall which one came first, but those two were my greatest loves (and remain so today, though The Lord of the Rings eclipsed them both when I read that a few years later).

batik
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 5:25am

Post #10 of 63 (396 views)
Shortcut
Original ST series [In reply to] Can't Post

...though I think maybe these were reruns in the early/mid 70's. Those other worlds and other people made a pretty big impression.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 28 2010, 10:13am

Post #11 of 63 (448 views)
Shortcut
Needed multiple votes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved The Day the Earth Stood Still when I saw it, but I was only 6 so I didn't know it was s-f. I saw lots of s-f movies during the 50s, but I just thought they were regular movies with more interesting stories than the general run my mother took us to.

The first thing I remember loving as s-f was getting Isaac Asimov books from the school library when I was about 12.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 28 2010, 12:05pm

Post #12 of 63 (388 views)
Shortcut
War of the Worlds was the only SF book in my school library back in the 1950s// [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

May 28 2010, 12:47pm

Post #13 of 63 (377 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

I was utterly and completely hooked at the age of ten.

I remember watching reruns of the original Star Trek series and liking them, but I never became a Trekker, Trekkie, or any other Trek-thing.

Star Wars was my very favorite movie up until a certain other set of three movies came out. That, coupled with the disastrous SW prequels, knocked SW way down the ladder of love. But you've always got a soft spot for your first. Wink

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 1:57pm

Post #14 of 63 (387 views)
Shortcut
<Nods> Okay, my directions weren't quite right... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because what I intended was not necessarily your first fantasy/s-f story, but the first one that REALLY fired your imagination and made the genre a "love" of yours. I didn't include an "other" choice for voting because a) I wanted everyone to pick from the list if possible and b) I wanted there to be a reason for everyone to post by giving both what they picked from the list and also listing here what their first love was if it wasn't on the list.

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 28 2010, 2:03pm

Post #15 of 63 (368 views)
Shortcut
Definitely StarTrek /TOS [In reply to] Can't Post

That opened my eyes to many of the rest of the list. I almost envy anyone who hasn't dipped their toes into our ocean yet - coming to it new is landing on the shores of a new universe!

I am a bit miffed there is no int'l Star Trek day I know of; but my family reminds me that everyday is Star Trek day for me!

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 2:03pm

Post #16 of 63 (369 views)
Shortcut
Yes, original run of Trek was 1966 - 69 amazing it was "only" 3 seasons... [In reply to] Can't Post

And it took a massive letter-writing campaign by passionate fans of REAL science-fiction to get the third season (NBC was going to cancel it).

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 28 2010, 2:08pm

Post #17 of 63 (362 views)
Shortcut
the start of TOS's orignal run [In reply to] Can't Post

actually precedes my birth - I came to it weekday afternoons as reruns. We'd rush home from the bus stop and throw ourselves onto the floor to watch entranced. When I heard about TNG I was highly skeptical but now love it and the other franchises as well. I don't truck to people who argue any one franchise was better than another save TOS, from which all Trekness doth flow.

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 2:13pm

Post #18 of 63 (366 views)
Shortcut
<smile> I remember those afternoon re-runs... [In reply to] Can't Post

But as my recently-posted birthday thread points out I was not only alive, but a precocious five-year-old who began his "Trek" where no kid had gone before with the second-ever-aired episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before". To this day I'm a little surprised I was never afraid of Lt Cmdr Gary Mitchell or Dr Elizabeth Dehner, though I should have been. Goodness knows a couple years later I was scared enough of Barnabas Collins! Laugh

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

May 28 2010, 2:16pm

Post #19 of 63 (372 views)
Shortcut
Come for the Aslan, stay for the Reepicheep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved that little mouse, bad case of "little man's disease" and all.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 28 2010, 2:20pm

Post #20 of 63 (375 views)
Shortcut
Men Into Space [In reply to] Can't Post

A 1959-60 TV series that depicted space exploration. It started with orbital flights, then building a space station, then moon landings, a moon base, and an attempt to go to Mars. It strived for scientific accuracy, except, of course, for the dramatic necessity of sound in space. I was so there for every episode.

Supposedly the second season would have shown trips to Mars and the setting up of Mars bases, and on out into the asteroid belt and the outer solar system. But it was cancelled after one season.

As for your list, Robert A. Heinlein, specifically "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel".

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 28 2010, 2:38pm

Post #21 of 63 (389 views)
Shortcut
a TOS 1.0-er! [In reply to] Can't Post

all hail to you!

I wanted Tribbles so badly when I was young! I have several now - my cat looks like one when she's curled up and I squint!

I had a girl crush on Uhura before I knew what that was. A woman on a spaceship? Who freaking knew???

I don't recall if Watership Down is on your list but that resonated with me too for some reason. Maybe the richness of the world building. I read that before I discovered ST was in BOOKS! Then it was all over for me - I've got hundreds of ST books - none of which I can bear to part with. I have "real" literature in the house - Shakespeare et al., but my ST shelves get visited more freqeuntly than others due to limited time and a sometimes very real need to go somewhere else in the safety of my own home! I'm a Spock gurl myself, fwiw; but love the entire ST cosmos!

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 3:47pm

Post #22 of 63 (360 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a TERRIFIC series! Wonder if it can be found now... [In reply to] Can't Post

And that sig-line of yours is PRICELESS! ROFLMTFBO!

Vangalad
Lorien

May 28 2010, 4:32pm

Post #23 of 63 (354 views)
Shortcut
When I was a kid [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember being hooked by Jurassic Park, dinosaurs ruled!
After that period there came Star Wars and in 2001 i entered the beloved world of middle earth.Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 28 2010, 10:26pm

Post #24 of 63 (433 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

"TOS 1.0"!

I watched the series weekly on - I think it was Thursday nights? My school friends and I would practice how to do that "Spock greeting" during recess!

And then I watched it constantly, when it went into syndication.

I used to have a Tribble, but its purr eventually died...

weaver
Half-elven

May 28 2010, 11:33pm

Post #25 of 63 (354 views)
Shortcut
Lost in Space, anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I am! But I mean the TV show sillies...Smile

Sure it was Lassie in Space with a robot instead of a dog...but I loved it as a little girl; I had a huge crush on Don and it was great fodder for make believe play -- I don't know how many times my sister and I acted out scenes where a vine (ok a jump rope) dragged one of us down into quicksand (ok, under the bed) and "Don" (ok the other one of us) had to pull us out...

In terms of books, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov were my early favorites and I still enjoy all those authors today.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.