Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
'Hobbit' greenlight? Not so fast

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 27 2010, 12:49pm

Post #1 of 19 (1199 views)
Shortcut
'Hobbit' greenlight? Not so fast Can't Post

Rumors have hit the interwebs today that there is an now an official greenlight for 'The Hobbit'. That would mean that Warner Bros. either with MGM or despite MGM and its uncertain future, have approved a budget and put the movie-making machine in motion. We checked with our global spy network and our own Xoanon heard back from sources in New Zealand that this is not true. So fans, calm those heart palpitations.

On the side of good news, a completely different source confirmed that word is out to those involved with the production to prepare for potential November start date. So while there isn't officially a 'go' on the pair of films to be directed by Guillermo del Toro and produced by Peter Jackson, the film industries in Hollywood and Wellington are still keeping that target in mind. That, as Kiwis can tell you, turns out to be a just before the right time to shoot on Hobbiton. And, if it wasn't clear already, the moment, yea, the instant we hear official word has been given, we will post it here.

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 27 2010, 6:38pm)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

May 27 2010, 6:39pm

Post #2 of 19 (493 views)
Shortcut
Number 8 fencing wire what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kiwis, not Gondor....will see it done.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on May 27 2010, 6:40pm)

macfalk
Valinor

May 27 2010, 7:47pm

Post #3 of 19 (469 views)
Shortcut
So it is in November, the doom of our time will be decided. [In reply to] Can't Post

As we found out yesterday, MGM gave greenlight to an (unknown for me) TV-series. It could be good. Perhaps MGM wants to start making more movies so they can actually gain some money. Everybody wins.

(This post was edited by macfalk on May 27 2010, 7:48pm)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 27 2010, 8:03pm

Post #4 of 19 (460 views)
Shortcut
Update to the story [In reply to] Can't Post

This story has been update on the TORn home page to say that 3D looks unlikely at this point.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 27 2010, 8:17pm

Post #5 of 19 (464 views)
Shortcut
Some things appear to remain true: [In reply to] Can't Post

Aug 30 2009

Regardless- [In reply to] Quote | Reply
We are not discussing 3D at all or "hedging our bets" in regards to a possible future. Haven't been doing it and are not doing it now. We are full-on en route to a 2-D, film (not digital) production. That alone should tell you something. We've been marching to a calendar and preproduction that doesn't consider the 3D possibility.

There is no memos, Faxes, emails or messenger pigeons. No 18 minute gap in the tape. No blue dress with 3-D samples on it. No WM3-D. No 3D-gate going on at all.

Hope this closes that part of the debate.

All the best

G

Posted on TorN Message boards: Aug 30 2009

They would have to go back and redo a lot of what they have done so far. (Lots of time/Lots of Money)

Kangi Ska

There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Man on Fire

DiveTwin
Rohan

May 27 2010, 9:28pm

Post #6 of 19 (414 views)
Shortcut
No 3D = Let's Go? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am just happy it appears a reasonable shooting schedule (November) seems to be consistent among many sources. As the front page article mentions, 3-D may not be in the offing due to the additional cost and planning.

Perhaps the "yeah/nay" decision on 3-D was the remaining big item holding up a green light from MGM?

The original production budget number was probably hard enough to get approved. So when the discussion on 3-D started really heating up, they would have held off on any green light until they could get a real handle on the costs. With the likelihood of 3-D expenses coming in much higher (and likely a higher risk of escalation due to extended planning and shooting) a decision NOT to shoot in 3-D may remove the last big hold-up.

I would like to think that, anyway ....

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Pipe Dream
Gondor

May 27 2010, 9:52pm

Post #7 of 19 (390 views)
Shortcut
"Hope is not victory." -J.R.R Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your right...
3D is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to wear red and green lenses:
he leadeth me to motion sickness and vomit.
He restoreth my illusion of control:he leadeth me in the
paths of righteousness for money's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the rows of the
theater in darkness; I will fear no evil: for thou
ticket receipt is with me; thy popcorn and thy drink they
comfort me.

Thou preparest a double projection before me in the
presence of unknown people: thou anointest
my seat with chewing gum; my cup runneth over.

Surely motion sickness and 3D glasses shall follow me all
the days of my life; and I will dwell on the subject of
3D in the house of TORN for ever.

Evil

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 27 2010, 10:58pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 27 2010, 9:58pm

Post #8 of 19 (361 views)
Shortcut
"No blue dress with 3-D samples on it." [In reply to] Can't Post

Classic Guillermo. Literally. Ha!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

May 27 2010, 10:19pm

Post #9 of 19 (397 views)
Shortcut
Oh God... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll never hear the end of it. That's why I dislike a 10 min. limit on editing.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 27 2010, 10:42pm

Post #10 of 19 (333 views)
Shortcut
Ask Altaira to make it better.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska

There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...

Man on Fire

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 27 2010, 10:50pm

Post #11 of 19 (347 views)
Shortcut
*laughs* [In reply to] Can't Post

that's pretty good Laugh

but nowadays we wear polarized lenses
since that's an old psalm I'll let you off the hook, times have changed since then Wink

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Pipe Dream
Gondor

May 27 2010, 11:01pm

Post #12 of 19 (343 views)
Shortcut
Sent a PM [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I feel paranoid like there are Black Ops guys in route to my position as I type this to silence my indisgression forever.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on May 27 2010, 11:10pm)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 27 2010, 11:16pm

Post #13 of 19 (332 views)
Shortcut
Are you hallucinating? [In reply to] Can't Post

there's nothing wrong with your post Wink

stay away from the purple mushrooms

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Pipe Dream
Gondor

May 27 2010, 11:22pm

Post #14 of 19 (299 views)
Shortcut
Why yes...you are absolutely correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was never anything wrong. Never anything wrong at all.

Apparently I owe Altaira one. Wink

Thanks!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 28 2010, 12:52am

Post #15 of 19 (301 views)
Shortcut
IMHO this changes the 3D debate completely [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading between the lines of the news story, I think 3D will not happen because it is expensive and time consuming although it still could go through.

So the debate was: "3D or not 3D, which do you prefer?"

Now the debate is: "Do you want the film budget cut other places to make the 3D budget work?" I can't imagine many or anybody saying to cut from the story / plot / action sequences / character development or length of the films (or whatever) so we can have enough money to film in 3D.

Even those who LOVE 3D wouldn't trade the best possible story-telling in 2D in exchange for a lesser film but in 3D. Again, I could be reading things incorrectly but I honestly don't believe so. Has the debate changed?

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 28 2010, 1:12am

Post #16 of 19 (370 views)
Shortcut
I agree & [In reply to] Can't Post

The two Guillermos & Peter all love film. They planed for film, they wrote for film and they have never said that they would consider switching to digital cameras or 3-D. Guillermo did say there had been inquires about the possibility. I think that the only possibility of 3-D at this point would be a post production conversion to 3-D. That could happen if the studios want to foot the bill. I could see a 3-D release of all five movies at some future date, probably in conjunction with that Super Box Set (Probably BluRay 3-D for the new TVs.

Kangi Ska

Man on Fire

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on May 28 2010, 1:13am)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 28 2010, 2:04am

Post #17 of 19 (301 views)
Shortcut
On one point I do not agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe for a second the studio would make the Ultimate Box set the same as the 3D set because then they could only sell it once instead of selling it twice..

And, I fervently hope they do not do that because 1) I don't want to wait that long 2) I want my Ultimate Set to be the definitive presentation of pre-3D.

In fact, I would probably buy both of those sets again. I am the sucker consumer I suppose.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 28 2010, 9:36am

Post #18 of 19 (358 views)
Shortcut
I was unclear: [In reply to] Can't Post

3-D BluRay already exists. The Ultimate Box Set will release on BlueRay standard & BlueRay 3-D at the same time. (The 3-D part will be a post production conversion)

All of this is strictly speculation.

Kangi Ska

Man on Fire

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on May 28 2010, 9:39am)

Galadriel's ring
Rivendell

Jun 5 2010, 6:56pm

Post #19 of 19 (216 views)
Shortcut
Rumors!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone else belive them all the time??...just me??... thats sad... Unsure
I wonder who starts all of these rumors, if anybody knows them please please please tell them to stop!
I'm really gulible and i get my hopes up every time!! Evil

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.