Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn Mathom-house : 1st project - Founders Day 2009
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2010, 3:13pm

Post #1 of 94 (503 views)
Shortcut
TORn Mathom-house : 1st project - Founders Day 2009 Can't Post

We've talked long enough. Now it's time to roll up our sleeves and get working.

Our first group article development project will be Founders Day 2009. I'm excited to do this one. Researching it won't be hard as I don't think we'll encounter a lot of dead links or have to wait for the creaky Archive server to load up old News Articles. It's still fresh in many people's mind. We had a lot of exciting happenings and personages in attendance. It involves both the Message Board and the larger site as a whole. And it celebrates the history of TORn which is what this project is all about.

The Steering Committee developed the article, Embassy Theatre Seat Funding, in part to beta-test the wiki. But also to walk through the process of developing an article so we could make notes. It's important to me that we approach these articles with thoughtfulness. We'll get a better article in the end, if we do. We'll be able to work more effectively in the collaborative process. And we will insure that we have accounted for any citations we might need.

I'm going to move through the process of this article similarly to how we did the Embassy Theatre article but I want to, as a group, be continually thinking about process and what seems to work for us and what could be improved.

Here is a brief outline of the steps we'll use to develop this article:
  1. determine actual name of article
  2. brainstorm what content we want in the article - this should start to take the shape of a proposed outline
  3. brainstorm where we might find this content and what strategies we might employ to get it
  4. develop a plan of action - a series of steps to take - tasks to complete
  5. have volunteers sign up for certain steps/tasks (or portions of steps/tasks)
  6. determine where those volunteers will work - that is, if you're collecting links, where are you putting the links you collect
  • usually the first task is research
  • once this research is done, we can develop a more accurate outline of the final article
  • then we need to get a rough draft of an article written - we might decide we need more research to finish the rough draft
  • the rough draft is polished into a finished article
  • a final check is made to fuss over fine points - grammar, clarity, attribution/citation, clear of any legal/copyright issues, etc.

Keep in mind that this might not (and surely, will not) all happen this week.

For the first few days of this week, I want to do steps 1-3. Then mid-week, I want to move to steps 4-6. Then we need to do some monitoring of where we are in that subset list of steps we're taking. I will use replies to this thread to get us moving on the numbered list.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
If 'Threaded Mode' is not your default viewing preference, I would suggest you switch to it for this thread. If you are confused by the concept of Threaded vs Flat mode, please see the TORn 201 FAQ, 2.1 & 2.2, or ask on Feedback for more help.

You don't need to have been here last year to work on this project. You might not be able to help with steps 1-3, but you can easily help with the rest.

If you want to help, we'll find a way to get you working.

I set up accounts on the wiki for a few of you that indicated you might be interested in coding or doing research (researchers will have to be comfortable with the wiki). As far as I can tell, no one in that small group has done any exploring on the wiki except for Kelvarhin who has played in the Wiki Sandbox and set up a Wiki Profile. Cheers for Kel! I think it will be easier to do real work on the wiki if you've become familiar with it in a more casual manner first. So if you have an account, you might consider doing 15-30 minutes of exploring at your earliest convenience. Of course, I understand that 'your earliest convenience' may not be this week.

(and for the record, it's my goal that everyone working on the project have a wiki account whether you work on the wiki much or not)

I'm here to facilitate the project. The project is you. So my role is to help you do what needs to be done and that includes all aspects of this project from the simplest tasks of alphabetizing a list to the over-arching concepts of 'what makes a good article' and 'how well are we meeting our long-range goals for the project'. Don't be afraid to step up and offer an opinion or suggestion. Don't be afraid to identify a need and address it. Don't be afraid to volunteer to take on a particular long range task. I will continue to lead these Article Development groups. So if you want to have an opportunity to chose a task from the jar and be done with it in a week or two, we'll be here. But if you work at a different pace or in a different manner or seek a different focus of interest than our current project, we can accommodate that, too.
okay... look for replies to get us truly started.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2010, 3:43pm

Post #2 of 94 (265 views)
Shortcut
TASKS 1, 2, 3 - determine name, content, possible sources of content [In reply to] Can't Post

NAME OF ARTICLE:
I have already created an article page for this years Founders Day Celebration and named it : Founders Day 2010

You might note that there is no apostrophe in Founders. The FD Committee researched the issue and found that many academic institutions did not use an apostrophe and it was their decision to follow that trend.

Anyway, it may seem a no-brainer to call this article : Founders Day 2009 but it's my vague memory that it wasn't actually Founders Day till a short ways into the celebration. I think we were merely calling it the 10th Anniversary and then a day or two later declared (as a surprise?) the first Founders Day.

So, before I can create a wiki page, we need to sort out what we shall call this Article.

Possible source of information: weaver. (looks around room). But others may weigh in.

POSSIBLE CONTENT OF ARTICLE - POSSIBLE SOURCES OF INFO & STRATEGIES FOR GATHERING THAT INFO:
Okay... I'll get the ball rolling with a few examples and then the rest is a group effort. Sometimes the content and possible source are connected. For example, if we want to know what happened in Barlimans, someone might suggest a particular person to contact. Sometimes the possible sources are more global.

Just keep in mind, it may be obvious to someone familiar with the topic where resources can be found but we may have people gathering resources that are not familiar with the topic and will need some direction of where to look.

background info on what led to creating the celebration/initiation of Founders Day
source/strategy :
make sure we get some info from weaver. Someone could interview her (via PM, email or simply in a Mathom-house project thread) or we could ask her to write a short piece for this section of the article. Is anyone else a good source?

accounting of notable individuals or groups that contributed some form of congrats to the site
source/strategy :
look through the pertinent pinned Feedback thread
look through Home Page news articles around that time
'interview' weaver (chair of the committee), Altaira, and/or committee members (see forms of 'interview' in item above)
???_________

Do we want to list Founders Day 2009 committee members in the article? It's really easy to yell, YES. But keep in mind, the information in these articles should serve a purpose. How does listing the committee serve our mission statement? Be prepared to justify a YES answer using the Mission Statement or Project's Purpose. Challenging the inclusion of any information on the grounds that it does not serve our Mission Statement (MS) or Project's Purpose (PP) should not be viewed in a negative manner. It is important to ask these questions. If the information does not seem to fall within the MS/PP, then we might want to expand the MS/PP. Or we might want to not include the information. We can collect all the information in the world but it doesn't mean we should.

What else needs including in this article? There's a lot more to document on this historic weekend but it's time to hand it over to you. Have fun with it guys!

weaver
Half-elven

May 24 2010, 4:20pm

Post #3 of 94 (309 views)
Shortcut
rolls up sleeves, dusts off emails... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy to join the team working on this first entry, and here's what I can offer...

1. On the naming of the article, etc
. -- Without consulting my "files" (see item #2 below), my recollection is that the day did not have a name at first -- it was just an idea for an annual Thanksgiving kind of holiday -- and that as we were working on it we realized that the year we were launching it happened to be TORn's 10th, so the two ideas sort of merged. The idea of calling it Founders Day came out of the planning, and we "unveiled" the name on 4/26/09.

2. On sources of information -- This is one of those times when never getting around to cleaning up old emails is a good thing! I do believe that I have never tossed any of the emails from the time period when we were working on the 10th anniversary. So I have original, written sources I can offer from the very first time the idea emerged through all of its development and to its aftermath.

3. On what to do with the above
-- I would be willing to compile and forward my emails on the topic to whomever wants to research and write up the article. I am so close to it that I would have a hard time writing it up -- and I also really do better in working on things for TORn with a group rather than on my own. (Which is why we have a Founders Day and I still don't have an avatar..yet!)

4. On who else can provide info -- My email trail would also be the best source for names of others who were early leaders on this, if they don't step forward on their own; it was a team effort and would never have happened without a bunch of people jumping in when it was just an idea. So there are more folks than me who would be good to consult.

To provide one example, Kel and Sil did a whole lot of behind the scenes wrangling to get the VIP participation we had that year. They have great war stories to share there, and if they don't have them, I think I have copies of the emails they forwarded to the rest of us as they made contacts with various VIP types.

There were lots more, of course, who helped and again, I can provide names and emails as things get rolling here...and will certainly do what I can to help the FD 2009 article get properly researched, etc.

Thanks Magpie for getting us started; looking forward to seeing how this first entry comes together and helping as I can.

Weaver

sample

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 24 2010, 7:21pm

Post #4 of 94 (281 views)
Shortcut
Founders Day 2009 posts [In reply to] Can't Post

In case someone needs access to the threads connected to FD 2009 to see who was involved etc., I've put up all of them in the Wiki already: FD 2009

sample

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 24 2010, 7:45pm

Post #5 of 94 (265 views)
Shortcut
Sources of info. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've still got the Yahoo group from 2009 that is accessible. It has over 500 messages from the planning and wrap-up of the first Founders Day celebration. Plus the list of committee members (if they joined the Yahoo group). That is bound to be useful.

Plus weaver's Birthday Mathom, which I believe was the sprouting of a germ of an idea.

Then, she did a poll about it.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2010, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 94 (235 views)
Shortcut
cool! // [In reply to] Can't Post

weaver
Half-elven

May 24 2010, 7:56pm

Post #7 of 94 (262 views)
Shortcut
the yahoo board is even better than my email trail... [In reply to] Can't Post

*Smacks forehead**

The Yahoo Board makes perfect sense -- I forgot you could still access that! That is a much better starting point, and I can look to see what I have that is relevant beyond the items that were discussed with the full group. The Kel/Sil VIP effort, I know, was kept off of the yahoo group since it was a secret mission and surprise even to the planning committee!

And bless you for coming up with the mathom mention and poll -- I remembered doing those, but not "when" (that would involved dates which is too close to Math......) I may have a few emails that precede the mathom bit, where I tested the idea around with some kindred spirits, I will go back and check to see if there are some even earlier things in my TORn fossil record!

Weaver

sample

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2010, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 94 (267 views)
Shortcut
another item of content : various images used in conjunction with the event [In reply to] Can't Post

footers - I've collected the images, we just need a write up
thank you notes - I've collected the images, we just need a write up

Alassea Eruvande's ‘Valaquenta of TORn’ , scribed by Daniel Reeve

weaver
Half-elven

May 24 2010, 8:13pm

Post #9 of 94 (272 views)
Shortcut
I found the first notes on this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Replying to myself here!

I don't have time to look at things in detail, but on a quick scan of emails from early 2008 if saw that the idea came up in a thread prior to my mathom -- I don't have the date, but it was in a thread Gramma posted on marking the anniversary of the founding of the site so it would have been April of that year maybe?

Anyway, after that, the idea was kicked around with a few folks behind the scenes, who supported me in putting it out there in a more formal way, via my mathom, for the whole community to consider.

I still have everything saved from these very early conversations, so there is a good trail to follow...

Weaver

sample

Magpie
Immortal

May 24 2010, 10:02pm

Post #10 of 94 (239 views)
Shortcut
re: name of article [In reply to] Can't Post

do you feel that Founders Day 2009 is an appropriate name for this article. We can cover the formation of the 'name' in the article but I guess the question I'm asking is: is there another name (other than FD2009) that is more appropriate? For example, would 10th Anniversary Celebration or some such name be more appropriate? My preference is for FD2009 I just don't want to use it if it's inappropriate or inaccurate.

Or... we could have FD2009 but's a side page to a 10th Anniversary Celebration page where we discuss 2009 as being the first FD but the bulk of the information is on the 10th Anniversary page.

Come on, weaver... tell me what to do! ;-)

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

May 24 2010, 10:07pm

Post #11 of 94 (277 views)
Shortcut
Found it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma posted it in one of her TIME threads.
Then, weaver made a reply to that thread about having an annual Thanksgiving day for TORn.
April 10, 2008

Gramma also made a collection of links for Founders Day 2009.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

weaver
Half-elven

May 25 2010, 12:10am

Post #12 of 94 (234 views)
Shortcut
aha -- there it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I posted in that thread, it looks like if I go through my emails I may even find some earlier notes on this than this date. But this is good as now I know where to backtrack from to find them.

Thanks for finding this -- kind of feels like we are on a scavenger hunt or a treasure hunt in reverse!

Weaver

sample

weaver
Half-elven

May 25 2010, 12:24am

Post #13 of 94 (264 views)
Shortcut
maybe we should start with the end in mind? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe we should think about this in terms of where/how people would look for information on this -- would they look for FD? Or 10th Anniversary Party?

My guess is that your instincts are right that it should be FD 2009, as FD is the term that will endure over time....but since the 10th Anniversary thing was an event in its own right, it would be good if there was a listing for that as well, even if it just liked people to the FD 2009 page...

Does that make sense? I admit I'm not the best at names/titles and such so offer this as an opinion but not the final word or anything...

Anyone else want to chime in???

Weaver

sample

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

May 25 2010, 3:54am

Post #14 of 94 (334 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Nicely done, Peredhil lover!

I'd offer to help, but you all are so efficient I feel I should just get out of the way! Laugh

What I *will* do on this one is give a bit of thought to any additional content and communicate it to ye efficient ones if I think of anything.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 25 2010, 2:21pm

Post #15 of 94 (254 views)
Shortcut
Alrighty! Here we go! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to make comment on the points, thusly...

1. Name of article:

but it's my vague memory that it wasn't actually Founders Day till a short ways into the celebration. I think we were merely calling it the 10th Anniversary and then a day or two later declared (as a surprise?) the first Founders Day.

I think sticking with Founders Day 2009 is the best way to go. Keep it consistent with the following years; but a point can be made that it was imbedded in our 10th Anniversary celebration and a link can be made to that page.

2. Possible content of article:

I agree to the first several points of Barliman contribution, background info on what lead to creating the celebration/FD, etc.

When we get to the listing of Committee Members, I don't think anyone other than the Chair and Co-chair at the most need to be listed... if at all. The only reason I suggest them is for resource info (retro or recent), and to show our strategy/unity of having the Co-chair become the next year's Chair, etc. If we list all of the members/contributors, we should do it for every year.

This is going to be the most complex and involved FD article since it is the first and needed every level of creativity and involvement. The 2010 will also be a bit lengthy (not as much) since it's the first of the annual parties... which could become the template for subsequent years.

The content of the article should also include the artwork/footers that became the symbol of that year and the unveiling of TORn's first holiday.

GREAT START MAGPIE!! This is gonna be fun :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 25 2010, 2:22pm)

Magpie
Immortal

May 25 2010, 5:38pm

Post #16 of 94 (226 views)
Shortcut
need more clarification on your thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

I think sticking with Founders Day 2009 is the best way to go. Keep it consistent with the following years; but a point can be made that it was imbedded in our 10th Anniversary celebration and a link can be made to that page.

This sounds like you are thinking there would be two articles
  1. 10th Anniversary Celebration
  2. Founders Day 2009

Correct?

If we do this (which is fine) we need to decide what info goes on what page. I can't determine (with any ease or rapidity) what info will be in each so let's get ready to do that soon.

(This post was edited by Magpie on May 25 2010, 5:39pm)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 26 2010, 1:34am

Post #17 of 94 (233 views)
Shortcut
I've kept all the emails too [In reply to] Can't Post

The ones from the whole committee and the ones for the VIP's, plus all the ones to do with the Thank You cards. I kept all the PM's I got as well.

*whispers* Are we allowed to mention a certain sibs reaction when they found out about Daniel Reeve's involvement? EvilLaughAngelic

sample

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

~TORnado Babies~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on May 26 2010, 1:36am)

weaver
Half-elven

May 26 2010, 1:40am

Post #18 of 94 (230 views)
Shortcut
oh good on your email trail! [In reply to] Can't Post

My VIP emails are mixed up with many others, so yours may be easier to sort through/follow along, etc. We could compare notes whenever the time is right to do that...

I thought about the "reaction", too-- that was a fun moment in the whole thing, a good war story certainly, if there's a place for that and the "reactor" is willing...Smile

And good to see you Kel -- hope all is well!

Weaver

sample

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 26 2010, 1:47am

Post #19 of 94 (227 views)
Shortcut
Must be the Admin Manager in me [In reply to] Can't Post

but I made their own folder for them and moved them all across when I received them. Otherwise they just got lost amongst all the other emails. Blush

LOL yeah, still get a laugh whenever I read that email, classic! Laugh Do you think we could twist the "reactor's" arm a little bit? Angelic

Getting better, last thing I really needed was a dose of the flu, but, ah well Unsure Hoping that's it for a *very* long time!

sample

~TORnado Babies~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~
One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2010, 2:10am

Post #20 of 94 (222 views)
Shortcut
'subjective material' [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking that the bulk of the material on the wiki should be objective material, written like any good reference without bias.

However, I think we could also make room for more subjective stuff as long as we are fairly clear about which is which.

I hadn't thought about how this would happen but I think if we have a distinct 'page' for a subjective item and let it be written like a diary entry or a anecdote and clearly sign it as one person's viewpoint or opinion (or, alternately, a team or group of people). We might even format it a little differently or distinctively so it's really clear that we're leaving the realm of non-bias objectivity and entering the realm of more personal (and thereby biased) viewpoints. Then we link to that subjective article from the objective article's page.

Does that make sense to you guys? What do you think about this sort of stuff?

It goes without saying that we should have as much if not more objective material than subjective. We want to provide a resource for all our targeted audiences.

weaver
Half-elven

May 26 2010, 2:18am

Post #21 of 94 (218 views)
Shortcut
a folder! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that would have been very helpful -- all my emails are still in my inbox! You should definitely take the lead on the VIP resource info, since you are so together.

Now, no more bad things over there, you hear!

Weaver

sample

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 26 2010, 2:21am

Post #22 of 94 (219 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

makes life a lot easier. See if you can do a search on them, looking for 10th Anniversary or Founders Day and then move them all into their own little home. Saves going cross-eyed searching through the mess Laugh

Yeah, that's the message I've sent to Eru too Wink

sample

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2010, 2:23am

Post #23 of 94 (225 views)
Shortcut
Call for first volunteer - organize suggestions into sub-topics or an outline [In reply to] Can't Post

Could I get a volunteer to look over all suggestions made thus far as to content we need to cover and try to create either a rough outline or organize the suggestions into subsections?

All suggestions should find a home in this organizational structure along with any accompanying notes (such as possible resources or strategies). The reasons for organizing are:
  • to start to understand how our final article might be organized
  • to break the research into smaller pieces so each volunteer for research can be responsible for their own section
It sounds like we need two articles. One for the 10th Anniversary and one for Founders Day and I'm not entirely sure we know what material will go into each article. But even if we can identify the sub topics of this dual-page project, we can break them into two pages further down the road. Just looking at an outline or organizational structure might help us decide.

It would be nice to get this organization done in the next few day so we can recruit researchers asap. Is there anyone willing to take a stab at it? If so, it might be best to declare you will do it and then come back with a second post when you've done it. That way we don't get multiple people working on it in cross purposes.

weaver
Half-elven

May 26 2010, 2:25am

Post #24 of 94 (214 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering about this, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think the wiki may be used as a source for articles and such, so agree it should have a more "unbiased" approach -- but I was "torn" about that, as it would leave out the personalities and war stories and such that would be such fun to see recorded for the fan base.

I like your idea of a dual approach -- a formal and informal way of documenting things, if you like. The formal part would be more like the official story, the informal part would be more anecdotal, like documenting folklore or first person accounts or something.

Does that make sense?

Weaver

sample

Magpie
Immortal

May 26 2010, 2:26am

Post #25 of 94 (212 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think we need both.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.