Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Favorite Characters?

KaliWazzHere

May 25 2010, 5:04am

Post #1 of 20 (473 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Characters? Can't Post

I haven't finished all the books yet ( I read the Hobbit and have just started the FotR) but I saw the movies a few months ago and have been obsessed ever since.

I love every singe character. You couldn't have the story without any of them.
Sam: The perfect and loyal friend. Frodo couldn't have done it without him.
Frodo: He risked everything to save Middle Earth. I honestly think he is one of the most underrated characters. People always say he was the whiny brat that left Sam to do all the work but he had to carry the hardest burden of them all! He really cares about saving his friends and really just wants to help. Plus I just love his personality in the movies and so far in the book. To me he's just as loyal to the people of Middle Earth as Sam is to him.
Gandalf: Just pure awesomeness. No explanation needed.
Aragorn: The unwilling heir. He's handsome, loyal, strong, caring, and can kick some Orc ***.
Boromir: Really showed the weakness of men. He wanted to use the ring to help Gondor, but at the end of the Fellowship the ring had corrupted his mind. But even so, he still stayed loyal and kind, shown at the very end when he died.
Gimili: Brave and tries to act tough. I feel like he is really very softhearted though.
Legolas: Also brave and honest and there until the very end. There was not one moment in any of the movies when I saw a bad side to him.
Merry/Pippin: Almost as loyal to Frodo as Sam is. They are silly and clumsy(especially Pippin) but also brave. Plus, they're hilarious.
Galadriel: So wise and just...perfect
Bilbo Baggins: I love him. In the Hobbit I loved how he was so clueless and clumsy but sort of became the hero in the end without meaning too. I don't know why, but he is one of the best characters.
Eowyn: Very strong hearted and brave. She fought even though it was frowned upon for woman to fight and was one of the main heroes of the series. I actually consider her one of my heroes in real life.
Arwen: I've heard she's not a main character in the book but I just really like her in the movie. Especially the Fellowship where she says "If you want him COME AND GET HIM" and then turns all bad *** and makes the river go all crazy.
Foromir: He was always in the shadow of his brother but that didn't stop him. I could write TONS more about him but it's almost 1 and I need to go to bed.

My favorite character would probably be Gollum. He's just so misunderstood and his whole character is just like an entire plot of good vs. evil within itself. There's just no other character in any work of literature/movie that I can think of.

What are your opinions?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 25 2010, 7:33am

Post #2 of 20 (210 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

We love all those characters, too!

Some of them, though, seem quite different in the books from the way they're presented in the movies. I'm so glad you're reading the books... please come back and give us your reactions as you go along. We always love to hear from new readers, because it gives us a chance to re-live the experience of discovering these wonderful characters for the first time.

If you have any questions or comments about the books as you go along, by all means drop in the Reading Room, where there are folks ready to answer almost any question (or at least, offer opinions and theories if the answers aren't available, as is often the case).

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Nomad
Forum Admin

May 25 2010, 4:10pm

Post #3 of 20 (168 views)
Shortcut
I'm torn between the midges and the neeker breekers. // [In reply to] Can't Post

vtboyarc
Lorien

May 25 2010, 4:40pm

Post #4 of 20 (206 views)
Shortcut
books or movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite characters from the books would be Galadriel, Tom Bombadil, Treebeard, Quickbeam, and Aragorn - and all time favorite character, in the books and movies - would be Mithrandir, Gandalf.
From the movies, probably Frodo, Aragorn Legolas, and Gimli, Merry and Pippin, and as said above, Gandalf.

As a side note, Radagast the Brown has always intrigued me.
The Istari chapter in the Unfinished Tales is a good read.

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

May 25 2010, 11:16pm

Post #5 of 20 (163 views)
Shortcut
not so much a character as [In reply to] Can't Post

the setting... Middle-Earth with all it's detail and multitude of races. The world building aspect of Tolkien is what captures me now.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 25 2010, 11:21pm

Post #6 of 20 (163 views)
Shortcut
shhhh, they might hear you [In reply to] Can't Post

the year has been mosquito-less so far and I would like for it to stay that way
but I only have a fool's hope that it will, actually no hope at all

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 26 2010, 1:59am

Post #7 of 20 (187 views)
Shortcut
What's this? A Newbie? [In reply to] Can't Post

And you have only seen the movies - and have just started reading the books!

If you think that Gollum is a magnificent tragic character now, just wait - there is so much more in the books, and in TTT you'll find one moment so incredibly heartbreaking, that you might want to have tissues handy!

So, how far along have you gotten in the story? And yes, we'd all love to know your impression of the books! Smile

And welcome to TORn!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 26 2010, 2:32am

Post #8 of 20 (186 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Kali! [In reply to] Can't Post

And pretty please, post your thoughts on your journey through Middle-earth for the first time in the books! We (okay, I) really am interested in your perceptions, do they change and if so how do they change as you read what you first experienced in movie-form.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

aranelthehobbit22
Gondor

May 26 2010, 10:40pm

Post #9 of 20 (162 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you'll love the community here!
~~
My all-time favourite character is Frodo Baggins, as you said he is an underrated character, not a lot of people give him the respect he deserves. He went through everything and suffered so much for the good of Middle-earth, with no thought to his own personal well-being, honestly he thought he would die before his quest was achieved. I'm writing a paper on him right now, but am stuck on my conclusion . . .
Gollum/Smeagol is probably second. He's such a sad character, although he did make some bad choices and wasn't a very nice person before, I still hate what happened to him, not everyone understands his suffering was similar to Frodo's.
Eowyn, Theoden and Faramir tie in for third I think, I love them all. I feel bad for Eowyn and Faramir and am glad that in the end they finally find happiness--together!
And Theoden is just incredible! I love Bernard Hill's portrayal he did fantastic!!
The books and movies are different, and i must say that they took some drastic liberties with certain characters, but even with those, my favorite characters list is the same for both the movies and books.
Of course I love all the characters that Tolkien created but this is my short list!
Once again welcome to TORn! Can't wait to here more posts from you!!

Photobucket

'Help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'

Photobucket

"Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered."

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 27 2010, 12:39am

Post #10 of 20 (194 views)
Shortcut
I'm Mr. Bilbo Baggins, I've lost my dwarves, my wizard and my way. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that gives it away.
Mr. Bilbo Baggins is my favourite character. Always has been. This fussing, stubborn, thoughtful, resourceful, little hobbit had me churning pages as fast as I could at a very young age. I take him with me where ever I go.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Chiticot
The Shire

May 27 2010, 6:50am

Post #11 of 20 (177 views)
Shortcut
Theoden and Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

From the movies, I like best Theoden: he is like a real king of old times (like a Viking or a King of old Britain - I may be wrong, but that's how I see him). I like how Bernard Hill played his character. I also like Eowyn and Faramir, Aragorn, Gandalf... Almost everyone Smile

From the books, I like the most Gandalf because you coud rely on him, no matter what. In the books I didn't like Aragorn too much because he got a little arrogant sometimes. Mad

"For death and glory..."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28 2010, 1:58am

Post #12 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Kali! Right now, my favourite character is YOU! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading your description of each of the characters was great! I feel the same way about all of them, so you really left me with not much to add except THANK YOU!

And, if I must, Frodo, Sam and Gandalf are my favourite characters. That's not to say I don't care for the others just as much; but they are the ones I read/watch and relate to.

Cheers! It's great to have you here :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

KaliWazzHere

May 28 2010, 2:36am

Post #13 of 20 (140 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all for your responses!! I will definitely be posting more as soon as I finish the books! And thanks for welcoming me!

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 28 2010, 2:42am

Post #14 of 20 (103 views)
Shortcut
Oh Kali! Don't make us wait that long!... [In reply to] Can't Post

Post your thoughts as you go through your journey? Please? Many of us would like to re-live our first time through and there's NO better way to do that than to have someone who IS reading it for the first time to share her/his thoughts as they go!

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 28 2010, 2:59am

Post #15 of 20 (101 views)
Shortcut
Hear, Hear (here)!// [In reply to] Can't Post

aaaargon
The Shire

May 29 2010, 4:09am

Post #16 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
Favortie Character. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam is mine. I think he is the perfect hero and without him frodo could never done it. I also love Aragon Gimili and Legolas the 3 of them searching for Merry and Pippeon is amazing. 3 races 3 friends. First post ever too Smile

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 29 2010, 4:19am

Post #17 of 20 (126 views)
Shortcut
welcome to TORn, aaargon! [In reply to] Can't Post

or have you been lurking for a while?

Either way, welcome to the posting world Wink

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 29 2010, 12:47pm

Post #18 of 20 (110 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome, aaaargon! [In reply to] Can't Post

So great to have you here! I totally agree with you about Sam and the others! I LOVE THIS STORY!

I'm glad you've joined us in time for The Hobbit movie excitement :D We're hoping for word that they've started the films any time now!!! *twitch*

Cheers!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 2:53pm

Post #19 of 20 (114 views)
Shortcut
Welcome aboard aaaargon! [In reply to] Can't Post

I see you only registered yesterday as well! Enjoy yourself and I think that you'll find quite a lot here that's fun to share with others quite literally all over the world.

sample

The Party Tree
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 6:14am

Post #20 of 20 (395 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE THEM ALL, SERIOUSLY [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've had a crush on Sam since I was 10 years old, sooooo...yeah. He's my favorite.

Ever.

aaaaargh I love him so much it hurts. xD

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.