Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
How about that? Another Friday and another Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 2:37pm

Post #201 of 235 (528 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Auntie Dora! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I replied to Peredhil Lover my perspective also comes from 1st-hand experience. I predict that eventually Beren will come to a similar understanding and I do not envy Anne the "karma" she is sowing. But even there I'll counsel my son to forgive her because I believe I understand her and why she's doing what she is. She was raised Catholic and though she hasn't practiced since she was sixteen or seventeen she still has strongly ingrained in her the guilt that Catholicism seems to instill in many. She knows very well that to this point she has not been even a passable mother and that, to her mind, the only way for her to get time with our son in court is to make false accusations against me in court and sadly the court doesn't need any proof at all - I can say that of a certainty because there was no proof and the courts awarded him to her so far. I'm told by some that the two worst states in the Union for men in custody cases are California and Colorado. I don't know the truth of it but certainly for me it seems very odd that a man of my age can be charged with domestic violence and child abuse with no prior record, no proof at all (medical is negative, the Dept of Human Services AND the military have cleared me saying the accusations are baseless) yet the courts say that at my age I began this pattern of behaviour, that I am not of the tendency that degreed persons are less likely to commit such crimes, nor how I could have fashioned a 21 year military career with such tendencies?

<quietly and earnestly> Thank you, Aunt Dora. It isn't easy and I'm on medications because my back is spasming badly from the stress. But in the end what is important is twofold: keep my promise to my son that I will never give up and don't give in to hate - that leads to the Dark Side! <grin> You didn't think I could go through a whole post w/out some humour, did you?! Wink

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 2:46pm

Post #202 of 235 (540 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Miss Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the best part, Miss Lily. No matter what the court decides it won't affect how I choose to be with my son. He's going to need years of therapy regardless, but most of that is because of how this is happening and only a small part because of what is happening. I join you in your toast and add, "especially to Anne" because honestly, I believe right now she needs it more than either Beren or myself. Beren needed it most for the first six weeks when I wasn't allowed to see him and then for the following two months or so when he was seeing a "therapist" who had a very specific agenda against me (more on that if anyone wants to know) but as of next week he'll finally go to a neutral therapist - and according to the court I'll go to at least some of those therapy sessions so I'm glad about that as well. But now that I'm seeing him however tenuously I do believe that Anne needs the well-wishes most. If I'm right about why she is doing what she's doing she will certainly need kindnesses to find her way.

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 2:54pm

Post #203 of 235 (579 views)
Shortcut
idiot-proof programs always seem to find a particularly talented idiot [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's an old computer, wow
looks kind-of like an oscilloscope, but then that's just my brain trying to make connections
I didn't know cassette tapes were ever used for data storage, but I suppose it makes sense, we use CDs for storage now

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 2:55pm

Post #204 of 235 (522 views)
Shortcut
As long as it can do what is needed... [In reply to] Can't Post

no need to come up with another language.

I have a friend back in the Cleveland area who had an old Atari 800 until 1994 because he could make that old thing do things it was never intended to do because he was a 1st-rate programmer.

But yes, as dernwyn says, Fortran is particularly good for hard math science applications which is why it's still around. Cobol is still around because many businesses invested heavily in very advanced Cobol programs and systems and as long as those continue to do what they were bought for those companies with those legacy systems aren't going to spend money on the "flavour of the week".

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:04pm

Post #205 of 235 (584 views)
Shortcut
punch cards were first, then, I believe, reel-to-reel tape... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if cassette came before or about the same time as floppies (5 1/4 inch disks) but they were close. Floppies eventually won that battle, then 3 1/2 inch floppies, and finally hard disk and CDs. To add perspective, Steve Jobs' 1st personal computer was introduced in 1974 - I was 13. I finally saw my 1st PC at age 18 at Ohio State, one of my roommates had a TRS 80 (lovingly known as "Trash-80s") - an 8 KILOBYTE machine! Nick SOLDERED IN another board making it a "screamin'" 16 KILOBYTES! <laughs> The RAM on modern laptops is more than 1000 times as powerful as the computer that put a man on the moon!

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 3:19pm

Post #206 of 235 (525 views)
Shortcut
nowadays [In reply to] Can't Post

a single microsoft word document will likely be at least 16 KB

that last point you made is pretty amazing
even to look how far we've come in the last five years
now its not uncommon to see a 8 GB flash drive

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:21pm

Post #207 of 235 (514 views)
Shortcut
"Bring out your dead!" (Sorry Aunt Dora! Couldn't 'elp mesel'!")// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:25pm

Post #208 of 235 (567 views)
Shortcut
As recently as the early 90s... [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't at all uncommon for a popular computer game to be on four to six disks that had to be "swap-loaded" in order to play them!

Yup. Eventually Moore's Law will run out, but what a run it's had! Cool

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:35pm

Post #209 of 235 (543 views)
Shortcut
<smile and a tear...> [In reply to] Can't Post

That brings back a very happy moment for me, Auntie.
Back in 2001 Anne and I were as close to being REALLY happy as our marriage ever got. We went on holiday back to my home of Ohio so that she could meet many of the relatives who could not make it to our wedding in '99 and also so I could show her the places of my childhood. On the flight there we had a transfer at O'Hare and of course the flight out went over Lake Michigan. I'd told Anne repeatedly about the enormity of the Great Lakes and that you couldn't see the edge of the other side from a shore, but when the flight went out over it her eyes got huge as she asked me quietly, "Is that the OCEAN?" <smile> That was among the finer vacations I've ever had though poor Anne had TERRIBLE allergies smack her right as she got off the plane and her hair, already pretty "80s-lookin'" for the frizz just went all out frizzled! I grew up not far from Lake Erie's shores, but even I'd never been to the Erie islands but we went. She's also a birdwatcher as many here are and she thoroughly enjoyed canoeing the Mohican River seeing blue heron among many other species.
Anyway, thank you Aunt Dora. I've not forgotten and should not forget such times and treasures.

sample

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 23 2010, 5:54pm

Post #210 of 235 (576 views)
Shortcut
Ha! nice one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers to you GAndyalf! Thinking of you and hoping that things are going your way. Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 7:12pm

Post #211 of 235 (504 views)
Shortcut
Okay, that makes sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

At first glance those ridges looked like the ones around here which were formed by glaciers pushing rock ahead as they "flowed" southwards, so we have hills with gradual slopes on the one side and steep slopes on the south. But I knew those weren't from glacial action.

So they're like the pinnacles of the Grand Canyon and other parks in that area: the softer stuff eroded away!

Leaving them looking like petrified waves of the ocean that once flowed across the top of the ancient seabed...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 7:16pm

Post #212 of 235 (526 views)
Shortcut
So when [In reply to] Can't Post

...are you going to come this way to visit Nathan Hale territory, here by the Sound? Smile

sample

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 7:21pm

Post #213 of 235 (535 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'll tell you, [In reply to] Can't Post

you move Colorado to the east of Ohio and you can have all our left over rain. Don't quite know how to turn the winds back to the west. Hmmm, if we stopped the Earth and started it backwards, would lots of people going flying off?

Thanks for the good wishes.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 8:18pm

Post #214 of 235 (615 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you must try Cape Cod then; [In reply to] Can't Post

I can tell you just where (for me, anyway). It has an air of mystery and adventure most other beaches don't, (I think anyway).Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 8:25pm

Post #215 of 235 (579 views)
Shortcut
Well, you know, you *did* say "repress" >:) [In reply to] Can't Post

But don't worry, I won't insist you re-iron anything. (We should have a " dissect each word and take every statement literally" day, and see what happens!!!WinkWink)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 9:19pm

Post #216 of 235 (573 views)
Shortcut
Cape Cod? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you ever been to Skaket Beach? It's a fun place to walk when the tide is out!

Which one is your favorite?

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 9:36pm

Post #217 of 235 (657 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Sorry Gandyalf, you did say "suppress" not "repress" (Freudian Moment for me . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted a joke, so I did a brain shuffle, and Presto! word morph accomplished!Blush

Here's wishes that tomorrow brings new hope for you . . .and some better outcomes soon . . .Evil

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 10:17pm

Post #218 of 235 (531 views)
Shortcut
Why no--is that up near P-Town? [In reply to] Can't Post

We love Craigville (nice warm water!), and also anything from Coastguard up (sunsets, and that feeling of adventure--the sea goes ever on and on . . .!).

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 24 2010, 1:56am

Post #219 of 235 (567 views)
Shortcut
This is heartbreaking. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have more to chew and swallow than anyone should have to--and your son even more.

I can't post much for the next few days, (most likely--hopefully not longer), because my carpal tunnel is acting up; but I wish you not only luck, but truth--and for everyone involved in the situation to work for it, not against it.

I have a friend who was a counselor at a home for troubled children, so she was in court all the time. She said the main thing is to always act like an adult, no matter what is thrown at you, in and out of court. You seem to have that nail hit on the head; and li'l Beren will know to thank you for it, if not now, than at some point when he can process things. Aunt Dora's story was such a hopeful one. Might help as an anchor through the storms of Caradhras! Evil

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2010, 3:42am

Post #220 of 235 (530 views)
Shortcut
It's located [In reply to] Can't Post

at the "inner" side of the "elbow" of the Cape, near Orleans. Not too well marked, so we've never found it to be too crowded! But the tide goes way, way out, leaving lots of little tidal pools (and clams that "spit" at you as you walk by).

Craigville Beach! I remember walking along there, in the Autumn - very pleasant place, and quite uncrowded at that time of year! Laugh

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2010, 3:33pm

Post #221 of 235 (506 views)
Shortcut
These were indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

particularly talented idiots I had to program for! Laugh But it was fun: we'd send my routines to the Navy submarine guys, and tell them to try to "break" them. Then they'd call me up, and describe what they did and how the program responded, and I'd rework the code and send it to them again.

They would also tell me the changes they wanted in how things were entered/displayed. There was no "middleman"!

And yes, communication by phone - this was before the days of email.

The cassettes were a hoot. Every now and then, the tape would wind off the reel. We had a kit of miniature screwdrivers for opening up the cases and fixing the tape back onto the reels. So high-tech!

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 24 2010, 5:14pm

Post #222 of 235 (524 views)
Shortcut
Some of the results, names scrubbed at the Admin's request for safety (and I agree) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I did well on the witness stand, kept my cool and did a very good job. Didn’t matter much in the end. The wife retained sole decision-making for my son and the magistrate extended my time for “supervised parenting” until Aug 18th (it had been set to expire on June 25th). The wife did not get alimoney (misspelling intentional) but where my lawyer’s paralegal had figured the child support to be $800/mo the magistrate ordered $1060/mo so in my opinion she DID get $260/mo child support w/o it being CALLED child support. The magistrate also ordered that my son see Ms KC for therapy, but even now I’m not certain if he ordered that he stop seeing AD and SP. But he did order that I be included in the therapy with KC – who was recommended by Dr B (the CFI), by the way, so that’s a little more time with My son each week. The only partial break I got was the magistrate ordered that I get 9 hours per week, split on 3 days of “about 3 hours each” and since CASA cannot accommodate that the court ruled that Ms DM be used (my lawyer suggested). Still will cost $40/hr and with the increased hours that means that paying for the “privilege” of seeing my son will cost more than my mortgage - $1440/mo where my mortgage (when I USED to be able to pay it!) was $1405.26. The advantage to me for using Ms DM is that instead of being “jailed” in one small room at CASA’s house with stuff that’s appropriate for infants to four-year-olds I’ll get to see him anywhere, but with the house for sale that’ll be strange as well. But what is hardest for me to bear about that is the original “restraining order” for my son was due to expire June 25th, now it’s a minimum of August 18th or whenever Dr B’s report is done.

The court also allowed the wife to NOT use base services that are ½ the cost of civilian ones for daycare for my son now that it’s summer vacation so I’m out the money for that and the court doesn’t care one whit for that.

The wife had wanted the magistrate to order me to pay for her Sears card because a fair amount of it was for the appliances. He didn’t though he didn’t elucidate as to why. In my opinion she had five years’ worth of use for the appliances plus the fact that if she hadn’t reneged on being a stay-at-home Mom the Sears would have been paid off years ago as I had to pay over $13,000 in child care for her to go back to work which she didn’t pay a dime of.

The wife and her lawyer agreed to sell the house but not to allow the couple I’d arranged to rent-to-own the place but they want the house simply put on the market. That entails hiring a realtor, which we gave the wife sole right to name w/in 15 days of the court date (June 5th). Once again, I’m the one that has to pack up the entire house (most of the stuff is the wife’s) or else pay the mover to do it at $25/hr per man on the job and I’ll likely have to pay for the storage until the court orders otherwise. By using a realtor the house will probably sell at a loss of about $8,000 or more – I owe about $188,000 on the primary mortgage and about $13,000 on the second. The property is currently valued by Zillow at about $204,000 but the last time I had it appraised Zillow had a value of $220,000 and the appraiser valued it at $210,000 so let’s be charitable and give the house a market value of $201,000 or exactly what I currently owe. Add in the realtor’s commission of $8,000 and voila! More debt that did not need to be incurred as we could have put in the rent-to-own agreement that we be paid the current market value in exchange for the rent-to-own option.

On Friday I’d felt okay-to-good about all of this. As of this morning and the reality sets in I’m terribly depressed. I’ve left a message for Ms KC as that’s the priority is getting my son away from D. If I recall correctly it’s only after she’s scheduled that I can hire Ms M though so that’s first. My lawyer had charged me for 58 emails so I’m leery of even contacting her though I’m in bad shape either way, as I need answers but I cannot afford another $5400 in legal fees (that was for a lot more than the emails but still…) I tried to do some situps this morning and THAT was a BIG mistake! Back on my drugs but the Flexeril is gone so I’m gonna have to go to the doc again to be re-evaluated and my doctor has left (changed bases) so it’s gonna be with someone new.

This week the wife decided (since now it’s an issue) that my son could not have the Heelys (roller-skate sneakers) that I’d finally found on the Internet and got for him, instead expansively inviting me to pay for underwear and socks – says the one who just got a $530 cheque from me for his upkeep. Also this week for the 1st time ever I actually got a compliment from the CASA vul---volunteer. It’s not that the visit went any differently than any of the previous ones. The CASA caseworker actually showed up on a Sunday to – I don’t know what for, as he never said a word to me but he sure talked to the wife for awhile.

Sorry about the bitter. That too shall pass. I KNOW, I have to get up one more time. And I will.

And thank you all for your kindnesses (not the least of which being the Admins who let me post instead of doing several PMs).

I'm off for my birthday (Fiesta Friday) so I'll make sure I'm at the library (I HOPE they're open at 9!) and we can have a birthday party.

Much love to all,
GAndyalf/Andrew

sample

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 24 2010, 7:28pm)

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 24 2010, 5:16pm

Post #223 of 235 (514 views)
Shortcut
AL-ways room in my heart to help a fellow Ohioan [In reply to] Can't Post

That IS an interesting physics problem, isn't it? Wink

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 24 2010, 6:02pm

Post #224 of 235 (520 views)
Shortcut
My head is spinning just reading this. :( [In reply to] Can't Post

May the truth come out (and the email charges cease! I had no idea they charged for that.).

(I'm guessing that keeping your cool did a lot more good than it appears, and that it will keep doing good if you can keep doing it.)

I hope you have good friends who can help you pack, and lighten the mood a bit if possible, as you go through your/her stuff. I would honestly recommend not doing much packing alone if you can help it--friends will keep you sane.

I can't write much, 'cause both carpal tunnels hurt,
but just know that I'm a-prayin', and especially for your son.

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 24 2010, 6:47pm

Post #225 of 235 (499 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry to hear about your Friday. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have anything clever or wise to say but I care how this comes out for you and you will be in my prayers. You sound like such a generous person - it sounds a little as if you're getting walked on. You don't seem to have the same mob of people facilitating for you as Anne does. That seems wrong - you need people in your corner too.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.