Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
How about that? Another Friday and another Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 3:04am

Post #176 of 235 (459 views)
Shortcut
You can almost pet them! [In reply to] Can't Post

How close did you get, to that prairie dog?

The sloping of those hills is fascinating - they're like waves caught at the crest! Do you know how they were formed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:04am

Post #177 of 235 (469 views)
Shortcut
<chuckle> I've 'ad me moments.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately MOST of 'em were among friends or people paid to endure it (my therapist). But I've always been very fast on recovering from outbursts, now I just have to nip the outburst in the bud before it happens as my storms are quite wizard-ly in that they come and go VERY quickly. What helps long-term is keeping my mind fixed on what is best for my son and whatever she does, nothing bad for Anne is good for my son.

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 3:07am

Post #178 of 235 (453 views)
Shortcut
I really should read that book (well, books) [In reply to] Can't Post

*adds to long list*

okay, so the workshop is over, so I can stop listening to people speak about things that are varying degrees of way over my head
now I just have to teach myself Fortran, I'm not sure what to expect, hopefully it won't be to terribly hard
but that can wait until monday or tuesday

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 3:11am

Post #179 of 235 (517 views)
Shortcut
It just did [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got back to my dorm a half hour ago
now I am finally eating dinner, so what if its 10pm

now I can relax, for now

we should invite these elves to the party more often Tongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 3:32am

Post #180 of 235 (468 views)
Shortcut
Um, GAndy... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're quite giddy still from the day's activities, dear sir! I do believe you are mixing up the items in these posts. Wink

And it was a nice visit with ex-sis-in-law and her hubby, who've lived not too far from my parents and kept an eye on them when I couldn't. Heart

*puts mug of frosty ale in GAndy's hand* Been wonderin' when you'd show up! (Oh, okay, and a bit concerned, too...)

sample

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:35am

Post #181 of 235 (519 views)
Shortcut
Yup! The world needs more hoopy froods... [In reply to] Can't Post

And don't worry about Fortran. It's so ancient that it's quite easy compared to any modern PL. And it's not QUITE so quirky (imo) as Cobol.

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:38am

Post #182 of 235 (454 views)
Shortcut
<laughs hard at hisself> Sorry Miss dernwyn! Good thing irl hugs don't have to have names attached as long as you get the PERSON right!// [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 3:43am

Post #183 of 235 (454 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm kinda glad [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed that song (being a proud charter member of the prude society.Cool [It's all my mother's fault--she's descended from the Puritans . . .]). Smile

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on May 23 2010, 3:45am)

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:48am

Post #184 of 235 (444 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough! [In reply to] Can't Post

<Tries hard to suppress a laugh>

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 3:54am

Post #185 of 235 (472 views)
Shortcut
Do loop, or not do loop, [In reply to] Can't Post

that is the flowchart:
whether 'tis nobler in the coding to suffer
the slings and arrows of unrestricted GoTo's...

There's more to that, but that's all I remember! Laugh If you like math and logic, you'll find Fortran to be a piece of cake.

That's a strange thing to study, nowadays...are they going to make you punch Hollerith cards, as well?

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 3:59am

Post #186 of 235 (445 views)
Shortcut
What were they goblin? All our fiesta food?! >:( // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 4:11am

Post #187 of 235 (446 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I miss it so much. Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

for another glimpse into the world I love (I guess it's Tol Eressea for me Smile).

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 4:14am

Post #188 of 235 (465 views)
Shortcut
I know a bit of Java, but that's it [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe that will be to my advantage, maybe not, we'll find out
thanks for the encouragement Smile

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 4:17am

Post #189 of 235 (501 views)
Shortcut
Is kind of odd [In reply to] Can't Post

but my internship adviser originally learned fortran and hasn't found the need to learn a more recent programming language
as is the same with a lot of the other physicists on the project

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 4:28am

Post #190 of 235 (526 views)
Shortcut
Suppress! Are you planning to join us Puritans? >: ) [In reply to] Can't Post

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 23 2010, 5:22am

Post #191 of 235 (489 views)
Shortcut
*distangles fingers and toes* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, not as bad as it could have been, but not as well ast it should have. But the part with the CASA/CFI sounds as if there's hope yet. Though I have to admit, to me it seems strange that you have to pay more for just seeing your son than his upkeep is probably costing. But then, here in good old Germany things are often quite different.

You are very calm and brave about it all; I really hope for you things turn to the better as you hope.

(((((((((GAndyalf))))))))))

sample

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 12:31pm

Post #192 of 235 (446 views)
Shortcut
Newer programming languages [In reply to] Can't Post

tend to be what I'd call "verbally-based"; Fortran is mathematical, and thus excellent for physics-based applications.

Back in the day, I started out using BASIC to write idiot-proof input and output routines for underwater sonar analysis, using the the Tektronix 4051 desktop computers (which used cassette tapes for data storage). (Underwater? Yep, my stuff's been used on U.S. submarines! Laugh)

Later the company acquired a DEC VAX, on which we continued the acoustic programs but switched to Fortran.

Not long before I left to become full-time mom, they were having us learn C+, and starting the changeover to that language. Unsure

I'm pleased to know that there are still those out there who haven't given up on the "old logic"! You'll love it!

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 23 2010, 12:47pm

Post #193 of 235 (440 views)
Shortcut
Wups! Make that [In reply to] Can't Post

learning "C", not "C+"!

(Memory degrades over time...Laugh!)

sample

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 23 2010, 12:52pm

Post #194 of 235 (491 views)
Shortcut
Close enough [In reply to] Can't Post

that Uncle Baggins said "I'm so tempted to reach out and pull that prairie dog's tail." But of course he didn't, since they carry bubonic plague. Several of them were well within tail-pulling distance, though.

There was a sign explaining how the hills were formed:

sign

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 23 2010, 1:00pm

Post #195 of 235 (474 views)
Shortcut
You never know what the future will hold. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the good side of all of this is that you're keeping a good relationship with your son. My husband was a child of divorce, back when that was not talked about in public, and his mother's parents took him in and turned him against his father. But when he grew up he was able to see with clear eyes and has had a good relationship with his father for the past forty years. In fact, now he supervises his father's care and goes to see him several times a week.

You are such a good dad, and by being so calm and brave, you're helping your son so much.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 23 2010, 1:31pm

Post #196 of 235 (465 views)
Shortcut
And *I* miss the ocean. [In reply to] Can't Post

We never lived anywhere near it, but my mother did as a child, and she infected me with her sea-longing. I haven't been back in decades, but on windy days I go to the local reservoir and pretend:

Surf's up at Boyd Lake

More surf at Boyd Lake

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 2:00pm

Post #197 of 235 (454 views)
Shortcut
That one was a turkey, Ethel! ;-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 2:16pm

Post #198 of 235 (437 views)
Shortcut
"Purist" is not Puritan! ;-P [In reply to] Can't Post

I've lived my life as a scandalous man and that's probably not going to change as I've been out of my "tweens" for quite a few years now. Cool

sample

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 2:24pm

Post #199 of 235 (437 views)
Shortcut
My goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I hope it all works out for you. It sounds as though you're going through it all with a good attitude, and with a keen sense of your priorities, which makes a big difference. Here's to you and to little Beren -- and to Anne, too.

Please post your review of Shrek in the movies thread tomorrow.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 23 2010, 2:27pm

Post #200 of 235 (444 views)
Shortcut
I have a distinct advantage that allows me the serenity to persevere here... [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter what happens, my relationship with my son is secure. We both want to see each other more often and eventually that will wear down his mother. Also, for the record, I bear no malice towards Anne at all. I am saddened by her choice to push the "nuclear button" immediately when served dissolution papers rather than even make an attempt to keep this secret from Beren and to work towards the common good. I'd wanted for Anne to stay in the house because her credit is so bad until she could get on her feet because that's what would've been best for Beren. As it stands now I've personally spent over $10k on legal stuff that should have, in my opinion, gone towards paying down debt and towards our wonderful adventure that will begin in six years. But Anne is not a bad person, she is extremely artistic and when motivated can be very kind. And no matter how my relationship with her ended, my son deserves and NEEDS a relationship with her. It's up to her what that relationship looks like or feels like to him, but she is his mother and he needs her in her life however she chooses that to be like. I came from a divorced house and my mother re-married a fellow she SHOULD have divorced and didn't. I've seen it from both sides in that respect. In my opinion, what's most important is that we get through this dissolution process as quickly as possible withOUT harming the other because it's Beren that suffers when one or the other parent "takes a hit". Neither one of us can be harmed without it harming Beren. I understand this, right now at least Anne does not.

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.