Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
More audition news: Actor Bill Bailey auditioned for Gloin

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 20 2010, 9:05pm

Post #1 of 16 (2164 views)
Shortcut
More audition news: Actor Bill Bailey auditioned for Gloin Can't Post

Black Books star Bill Bailey wants to play a dwarf in The Hobbit.
Bailey, who is bringing his comedy show Bill Bailey Live to Wellington in June, told The Dominion Post he had auditioned for the part of Gloin the dwarf in The Lord of the Rings prequel.
"I went along for a read-through of The Hobbit. The first read-through was for Gloin," he said from London.

Full story is here.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

May 20 2010, 9:44pm

Post #2 of 16 (1327 views)
Shortcut
At least the auditioning seems to be going forward... [In reply to] Can't Post

even though there is no greenlight.

I don't know this guy well enough to have an opinion about him either way. Which is probably a good thing.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

seriouslycgi
The Shire

May 20 2010, 10:09pm

Post #3 of 16 (1400 views)
Shortcut
ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

you beat me, i was just coming to post this :D

In Reply To

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

May 20 2010, 10:32pm

Post #4 of 16 (1281 views)
Shortcut
Exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool! Happy to hear serious casting is still going on...

Every time I see one of these brief stories, I have to admit to getting a buzz of excitement.

Can't wait until the major news, spoilers and rumors start coming in, (probably around the end of the summer)...it'll be like being goosed with a high-voltage taser! But in a good way...Tongue

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER AND GUILLERMO!!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2010, 12:58am

Post #5 of 16 (1289 views)
Shortcut
*runs to imdb* [In reply to] Can't Post

HEY!! I Approve!! :D We're hearing more and more people commenting about doing auditions. SO TEASING!!! I really am not that surprised, though. I can't see Peter or GdT sitting still and waiting for any pitfalls to right themselves. I think they're going to be so ready when that green light finally comes on, people are going to be blown away with how much is already done!

I see that Weta's site has a 2012 date posted for The Hobbit. It's in the register/personal information portion.

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 21 2010, 1:46am

Post #6 of 16 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Not shocking but . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

It means Gloin has lines. One cannot audition without reading something. I would love to find there have been auditions for Fili and Kili.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

PettyMim
Rivendell

May 21 2010, 7:30am

Post #7 of 16 (1290 views)
Shortcut
That is soooo weird [In reply to] Can't Post

That is sooo weird, I was watching QI last night here in the UK and Bill Bailey happened to be one of the celebrity panellists, and for the first time ever I thought - he'd make a good Dwarf! And now this report - bizarre!

Garlic Bread?!

The Red Avenger
Rivendell

May 21 2010, 10:40am

Post #8 of 16 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Bill Bailey - fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

He's been one of my dream cast from the beginning. I'm ecstatic over this. If I was to have a preference. It would be Dori, always grumbling about carrying Bilbo but becomes his best friend. I'd settle for any dwarf though and Bill wielding an axe shouting "Khazaaaaad" in the battle of five armies would make my day.

Owlyross
Rohan

May 21 2010, 12:24pm

Post #9 of 16 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a musical comedian. I've seen him a few times and he's hilarious. He's also an excellent comedic actor, and played a character called Bilbo Bagshot in the UK sitcom Spaced.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 21 2010, 1:25pm

Post #10 of 16 (1328 views)
Shortcut
I have the strong feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin's prominence will be adjudicated to Glóin. More links to Lord of the Rings, and it really doesn't harm the story. Have the important dwarves be Thorin, Balin and Glóin, and it makes perfect bridging sense.

Is this guy any good, anyway?

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Elladan
Rivendell

May 21 2010, 2:53pm

Post #11 of 16 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Cant really say. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been a big fan of his for years, I saw his last stand up show twice. But in terms of acting range as far as I know he has only done comedy, and tbh I dont have much of an eye for acting skill in comedy programmes.

So whilst he is well known, his acting ability isnt.

I suggest watching black books by the way or any of his stand up shows, the guy is hilarious.

Owlyross
Rohan

May 21 2010, 3:28pm

Post #12 of 16 (1230 views)
Shortcut
According to imdb [In reply to] Can't Post

He auditioned for Gimli back in the day.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 21 2010, 5:00pm

Post #13 of 16 (1223 views)
Shortcut
I love Bill Bailey [In reply to] Can't Post

He's one of my favourite comedians.

I'd still prefer unknowns though, I don't want to be giggling when I see Gloin, remembering a funny joke from Bill's stand up routines!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 21 2010, 5:08pm

Post #14 of 16 (1192 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

He was joking about it in one of his live shows I saw. He's great; very talented and (I believe) humble enough to give himself to the role rather than just try to be himself (as a comedian) in it. I think he'd be great; I'm glad - and not at all surprised! - to know he auditioned.

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Sunflower
Valinor

May 22 2010, 7:45am

Post #15 of 16 (1198 views)
Shortcut
For what it''s worth... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry if this is OT, but don't know where to put it. Nikki Finke has a little blurb about TH/LOTR in a sotry about PJ and the Universal King Kong ride. As reagards the Hobbit blurb, all I can say is "yawn*, Nikki you weren't paying attention enough..but she dropped in an interesting sentence that I *assume( refers the the 3-D question, in the cntext f the sentence: "..Everything will be decided/fall into place in a powwow in NZ next month." Don't know who her sources are, but Nikki never reports anything unless it is more than rumor. When things are rumors, she says so...and things not labeledby her ss rumors usually turn out to be true. (The "few days" thing with MGM ws obviously an exception, sigh...)

Oh boy...*GLUG* I hope the 3-D monster doeswn[t raise its head again...:)

And BTW, saw Shrek 4 today and there were some great "mocking fairy-tale" parts in the film in which TTT and the Dunharrow camp scenes from ROTK are roasted over the coals in true snarky Shrek fashion. I won't spoil it but I found myself snickering and loving every minute, fan of the films that I am:). Interesting that PJ's LOTR is now seen by the producers as another "fairy tale" to be roasted. You kow how it used to be said that "You haven't made it in the music biz until your song is parodied by Weird Al Yankovic?" Now it might be said that "You haven't made it until you are satirized in a Shrek film!"

(This post was edited by Sunflower on May 22 2010, 7:52am)

Glorfindel
Rivendell

May 24 2010, 2:17am

Post #16 of 16 (1101 views)
Shortcut
And so it shall come to pass.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Oh boy...*GLUG* I hope the 3-D monster doesn't raise its head again...:)"

Had a look at the 85 responses on the most recent front page article?

I'm just happy there's a light at the end of the tunnel that may have a greenish hue.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.