Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Faramir's Ranger Gear?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 22 2010, 2:58am

Post #1 of 21 (11228 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Faramir's Ranger Gear? Can't Post

As usual, I'll start from the lowest layers and work my way outward. We have nice warm trousers, a heavy shirt with quilted sleeves, and sturdy leather boots. All very utilitarian.

Over this we get a green jerkin, a long tunic that laces up both the front and sides.

And over that, the all-so-familiar white tree of Gondor.

Note that Faramir wears the white tree with seven stars (the symbol of the King of Gondor). Except that the seventh star is sewn into the square above the tree instead of burned into the leather.

Can you see the very faint stars on the side straps here?

And of course, gloves and vambraces.

He has the same Minas Tirith shaped buckles on his gear that Boromir had.

And don't forget the sword!

As always, you can find more info and photos over on AlleyCatScratch.

Any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the detail in LOTR one costume at a time. It appears on no particular day and follows no particular order. You can always find previous discussions over on my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for May

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 22 2010, 3:16am

Post #2 of 21 (8762 views)
Shortcut
This is a good sword... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why such a fine looking piece never made it into replica production like many of the other swords? Maybe because Faramir was identified more as a bowman (yeoman?)

His vambraces remind me of Boromir's (later Aragorn's) except in green. Great detail on the side straps; the care and thought that went into the costumes never ceases to amaze me. Robin Hood would have died to look this fetch.

Thank you Lady AD!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 22 2010, 3:24am

Post #3 of 21 (8808 views)
Shortcut
They're very similar to Boromir's vambraces [In reply to] Can't Post

And Denethor's too. The family of the stewards must have kept some Gondorian leather-worker in business with all these pieces.

There's a shot of Boromir's vambraces HERE.

And Denethor's HERE, which have a single white star in place of the tree.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 22 2010, 4:06am

Post #4 of 21 (8751 views)
Shortcut
the stars are a nice touch [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how much detail they put into all the costumes with full knowledge that the likelihood they would be seen on screen was very low

this is probably one of my (many) favorite costumes

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

May 22 2010, 4:28pm

Post #5 of 21 (8733 views)
Shortcut
That's a lot of layers! [In reply to] Can't Post

It must have taken a while to put on and take off. It all works so beautifully together. Thanks for pointing out the little details like the buckles.

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 22 2010, 4:58pm

Post #6 of 21 (8711 views)
Shortcut
Ah the subtle differences [In reply to] Can't Post

every detail counts!

By the way, the Boromir vamb link takes us back to this thread... tricksy.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 22 2010, 5:23pm

Post #7 of 21 (8698 views)
Shortcut
Whoops [In reply to] Can't Post

Try this link instead: http://www.framecaplib.com/...romir/Boromir023.jpg

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 22 2010, 5:30pm

Post #8 of 21 (8720 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks 8).

The tooling is much more elaborate than Faramir's (and than I remembered or noticed). I guess it indicates who was more important in the Realm of Gondor

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 22 2010, 8:02pm

Post #9 of 21 (8696 views)
Shortcut
Just to say what everyone else has said.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...the attention to detail in all these costumes is breathtaking. And this one, like so many others, looks as though it's actually been worn, and its wearer has scraped through a lot of undergrowth and crawled along a few ditches. (I'm now trying to remember what Aragorn told the hobbits about having a rascally look because he'd spent many years lying in ditches, or something to that effect.) It adds to the impression that Faramir's been working hard, at an almost hopeless task, for a long time.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Lord of Magic
Bree

May 22 2010, 9:08pm

Post #10 of 21 (8706 views)
Shortcut
The symbolism [In reply to] Can't Post

behind the sevenths star being sewn in instead of being burned in is a touch of genius.

Former Duke of Stardock, Overseer of the Paraphysical Army of Tokidoki, High Mage in Service to King Lyam conDoin I of Rillanon, The Absolute Lord, Ruler, and Sovereign of all Tokidoki.

The White Dragon and Arnölé, The Lord of All Magic

Gene_Beane
The Shire

May 23 2010, 1:36am

Post #11 of 21 (8694 views)
Shortcut
Tee-Hee! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought Boromir's vambraces were longer than that (they certainly look longer on his arms, leastways when I'm not really paying attention to them). That aside, I always assumed that this particular tree and/or bird/wing motif on the clothing and armor of the Gondorians was a repeated thing, not just limited to the House of Stewards.

"Stand for what you believe in. Even if it means you stand alone."

(This post was edited by Gene_Beane on May 23 2010, 1:39am)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 2:16am

Post #12 of 21 (8750 views)
Shortcut
I have always liked your costume series... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually have a cool anecdote with this one: Back in 2006, when I built my whole LotR action figure collection, I had told my mother I was looking for this figure... she asked me which one was it, and to describe it to her, I told her it was this guy who had a suit that made him look like Robin Hood.

She bought it for me for Christmas, which was very nice. Smile He does look a but like Robin Hood, doesn't he?

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

frederica bolger
Lorien

May 23 2010, 8:59am

Post #13 of 21 (8761 views)
Shortcut
Layers upon layers... [In reply to] Can't Post

... talk about foundation garments! Another nice example for the whole combination looking better because of the mostly invisibile bits.

Also interesting to look at Boromir's and Faramir's outfits... I thought that they were two different 'warrior types' (not just in Boromir/ swordsman being the brawn and Faramir/ archer being the brains in the family). Boromir is highly visible, representative, he would march into battle with boots polished to a high shine... whereas Faramir is a behind-the-lines man, with the premium on utility and invisibility. Impossible not to think Robin Hood, that's right!

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

Magpie
Immortal

May 23 2010, 3:01pm

Post #14 of 21 (8648 views)
Shortcut
I've enjoyed these Gondorian ranger outfits from my first viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed clear the subdued greens and browns were meant to blend in with 'nature'.

I found Frederica Bolger's take on the difference between Faramir's and Boromir's outfits interesting. For marching into battle, one doesn't need camouflage. In fact, making oneself appear bigger or grander or scarier is good. Also, Boromir, for his trip to Rivendell, was functioning as emissary so, there must have been some consideration for any necessary 'pomp' that might arise.

But, at least when we meet Faramir, marching into battle isn't what he's tasked to do. He's doing a bit of skulking through the woods and countryside. :-)

I am a bit fond of greens and browns mostly because they are the color of nature and I especially like subdued greens and browns.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen Skywalker
Lorien

May 23 2010, 10:34pm

Post #15 of 21 (8711 views)
Shortcut
Not just good... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was miffed that the Weapons and Warfare book didn't go into much detail about Faramir's sword. It's not only a beautiful weapon but also very different from all the other Gondorian swords. There's an etching of two eagles on the rain guard which can be found HERE.

I love the greens and browns of the costume. This is why Gondorian ranger outfits are so sexy. These pictures alone are kick-starting summer for me (fans self). But seriously, like everyone else said, I am amazed by the amount of detail put into these costumes. I can't believe that Ngila even thought of putting stars on the side straps knowing that this is not a place the cameras would focus on.

(This post was edited by Arwen Skywalker on May 23 2010, 10:36pm)

weaver
Half-elven

May 24 2010, 4:32pm

Post #16 of 21 (8618 views)
Shortcut
he wears that outfit well, doesn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how so many of the costumes helped to define/visualize aspects of the characters, their personalities, backgrounds, roles, etc.

It would have been interesting to have only seen the costumes for the characters, and not the actors in them, before the films came out -- I suspect that most of us would have been able to tell just from looking at them who they belonged to. Aragorn's Strider outfit, and Faramir's Ranger one here are two of the best examples of how the costumes not only clothed the actors, but were part of the telling of the story as well.

Thanks for this lovely look at the very lovely to look at Faramir!

Weaver

sample

Lothlorian
Lorien

May 24 2010, 6:28pm

Post #17 of 21 (8644 views)
Shortcut
it is strking how utilitarian [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir's get-up is compared to Bormomir's!

Of course Boromir is the emissary from Gondor to Elrond's council and looks much more dashing and heroic - whereas Faramir's outfit is murch more Gir "R Done - ish. Not greatly unlike the difference between Frodo and Sam's outfits!

The costuming was certainly in the hands of people who love LoTR as much as we do.

Thanks for another installment Arwen's Daughter - I really look forward to them!

Elven
Valinor

May 25 2010, 12:32am

Post #18 of 21 (8610 views)
Shortcut
Although it looks bulky ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramirs costume actually looks as if it might be comfortable - I like that quilted long sleeved shirt he wears.
I think its interesting his arms are unprotected (except for the vams - and the quilted brown top sleeves - they look as if they are seperate pieces under the leather vest (over the cremem shirt)?

and wow - the stars on the side straps - detail, detail, detail!

Cheers
Elven

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 25 2010, 1:17am

Post #19 of 21 (8617 views)
Shortcut
I *think* the top half-sleeves are attached to the leather shirt [In reply to] Can't Post

They seem to be held to the leather shirt with straps at the very top of the sleeve But I couldn't be sure without looking at the actual garment, so until then your guess is as good as mine.

Any day now they're going to let us all into that mythical warehouse of props & costumes to answer these questions Laugh

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 28 2010, 9:34am

Post #20 of 21 (8643 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... I love this outfit! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never realized how many layers there are to it! WOW! But the leather work is, as always, exquisite! I've never noticed the star at the top of his breast cover... and down the sides on the lacing tabs. Gorgeous!

I always enjoy these looks at these costumes, Arwen's daughter. I'm always in awe of the detail and beauty of them :)

Thank you!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

GAndyalf
Valinor

May 29 2010, 3:11am

Post #21 of 21 (8629 views)
Shortcut
Given the length of the "heavy shirt" [In reply to] Can't Post

Would that not be a gambeson?

"Be good, be careful, have fun, don't get arrested!"
---Marcia Michelle Alexander Hamilton, 7 Nov 1955 - 19 Nov 2009

sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.