Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
2011 Tolkien calendar to feature the art of Cor Blok.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 21 2010, 1:20am

Post #1 of 27 (1963 views)
Shortcut
2011 Tolkien calendar to feature the art of Cor Blok. Can't Post

I just noticed that on amazon. Blok is one of my favorite Tolkien artists, but I know some people don't like his work.

Hmm. Well, I see this is old news, and that Blok was even interviewed about the calendar months ago.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien’s life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 21 2010, 1:36am

Post #2 of 27 (974 views)
Shortcut
Old news to some, maybe, but new to others [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there are plenty of people who did not know about this and appreciate hearing about it. (Personally, I don't care for Cor Blok's work very much, but that is a matter of taste.)

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 21 2010, 1:45am

Post #3 of 27 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Great news [In reply to] Can't Post

Fresh or not, I haven't read about it and I am pretty excited by it. Thanks for the notice.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Magpie
Immortal

May 21 2010, 3:06am

Post #4 of 27 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Someone was here looking for Blok pieces for the calendar [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=241168#241168

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 21 2010, 1:28pm

Post #5 of 27 (1005 views)
Shortcut
How many years has it been [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the calendar was not Nasmith's or Lee's? Has Howe had a calendar lately? Aside from those three, am I right when I say the last illustrator with a calendar were the Hildenbrant Brothers, around 10 years ago?

I find these paintings interesting... I'm way fonder of Lee's, Howe's and Nasmith's photorealistic approach, but these are stylish.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 21 2010, 1:50pm

Post #6 of 27 (1058 views)
Shortcut
I'm not familiar with Blok [In reply to] Can't Post

*goes off to investigate*

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 21 2010, 3:23pm

Post #7 of 27 (959 views)
Shortcut
I may have to get one of those [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't say that Blok's interpretations of Tolkien are my favorites -- I like Lee and Howe best, followed by Naismith -- but he does take an interesting approach.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 21 2010, 4:49pm

Post #8 of 27 (946 views)
Shortcut
I've got a few of the illustrated calendars [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually get them from somebody for Christmas.

I'm enjoying the 2010 Nasmith alot, then, I always do. Looking forward to his Ice & Fire calendar next year!

Not a huge fan of Blok, but it's nice to see a bit of variety.

Patty
Immortal

May 21 2010, 5:15pm

Post #9 of 27 (970 views)
Shortcut
I am one of those who doesn't care for his work. [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be the first year I haven't had a Tolkien calendar in quite a while.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

WonderBroad
Lorien

May 21 2010, 8:57pm

Post #10 of 27 (955 views)
Shortcut
I'll get it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a collector of the North American editions, so I buy two copies of the calendar every year. I'll definitely get this. I find Blok's artwork very interesting, but he's not my favorite Tolkien illustrator.

I've never cared for Alan Lee's watercolor painting--far too bland (although I think his pencil work is really good), and for me, Howe is hit and miss. When he hits, he REALLY hits, and when he misses...oy.

I love Ted Nasmith's work (he's been a personal friend for 20+ years, so that makes it even better.) No one beats his landscapes and his architecture, even if other artists render characters better. His Minas Tirith is just beautiful and majestic--unlike the one in the films. But that's another matter, and only my opinion, so don't take umbrage.

There are other Tolkien illustrators' works that I really dislike/like/love, too, but the work of these guys is the most prominent and mainstream.

AnnaEstel
The Shire

May 21 2010, 9:23pm

Post #11 of 27 (941 views)
Shortcut
where did you find [In reply to] Can't Post

the 2010 Nasmith calendar?!?!?!

I try to get one every year but the only one I could find this year was a terrible movie version, so I've gone without. I only just found out 2 weeks ago that Nasmith did one for 2010, but I can't find it! Even though the year is half gone I'd get one if I could track it down!

I dont' care who did the artwork, I'm just glad to see that there will be a calendar in 2011 that isn't movie themed.

Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 21 2010, 9:53pm

Post #12 of 27 (908 views)
Shortcut
I buy a calendar every year [In reply to] Can't Post

- most of my Nasmith ones are signed, as I see Ted at Oxonmoot. I have all of the UK calendars (and a smattering of US ones) going back almost to the beginning; 1973. One (1987) is signed by Nasmith, Howe and Lee. Just need Garland's moniker to complete the four on that one!

There's an excellent site here - http://www.tolkiencalendars.com/1969_1977.html

I recommend it. Apparently some of my calendars are quite rare!

I was never that keen on Blok's work - there are some reproductions of his Tolkien works in Realms of Tolkien - but then I saw some of his originals, and though I shan't be rushing out to buy any originals, I can appreciate them a bit more now. I've also read his essay 'Pictures to Accompany a Great Story' in the Dutch Tolkien Society's mag, Lembas Extra - Proceedings of the 5th Unquendor Lustrum 2006.

I'll certainly be buying a 2011 calendar.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 22 2010, 3:59am

Post #13 of 27 (993 views)
Shortcut
amazon.com [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like its sold out now though
here's a link

Eryn
Bree

May 22 2010, 10:08am

Post #14 of 27 (986 views)
Shortcut
This year's was strangely hard to find... [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally couldn't find it anywhere- in shops or on the internet- and only finally got my hands on one in like March. Very strange.

I can't say this Blok one looks remotely interesting for me. I do think it's very refreshing to see a different take on Middle Earth depictions, but personally Nasmith, and sometimes Lee, are the only ones who really paint Middle Earth as I see it in my mind!

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 22 2010, 1:34pm

Post #15 of 27 (858 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

- and who am I to say what's good or less good in Tolkien art? Smile - but there are other artists and illustrators out there; and I sometimes wonder whether popular taste is set by the 'big three' - Nasmith, Lee and Howe - because their illustrations have been the mainstay of the calendars market for around the last twenty five years or so?

In brief - and referring to the calendars site to which I referred above - the first mainstream calendar was designed while Tolkien was still alive; this was the Allen and Unwin calendar for 1974, which was on sale in 1973. Tolkien signed at least one copy. Then followed more calendars with Tolkien's own artwork, (including one with a piece by Pauline Baynes), up till 1979. (with the exclusion of 1975.) But Ballantine in the USA published their own Tolkien calendar that year, featuring the work of one of my favourite artists, Tim Kirk. I was knocked out when I had the chance to meet Tim at the Birmingham conference in 2005, and he signed my calendar, and an autograph book, _and added a couple of sketches_. marvellous!

Things went quiet in the UK for a few years after '79 - no calendars were published between 1980 and 1984. In the States Ballantine were publishing away; from the mid-seventies onwards they came out with a series of Hildebrandt calendars; and one for the Bakshi movie; and a couple of what they called 'The Great Illustrators' editions, which included some very ropey stuff in my opinion. Then in 1985 Allen and Unwin produced a lovely calendar illustrated by Inger Edelfeldt. Her depiction of Legolas matches my own image of him. Inger later illustrated book covers for the Swedish paperbacks of LotR - I have her original painting for FR. After that, Michael Hague made an appearance for 1986, and Michael Kaluta for 1994; but mostly it's been Howe, Nasmith and Lee all the way up to the present day, with one or two incursions by Roger Garland, and by JRR Tolkien himself!

My favourite Tolkien artist is, and remains, Tolkien.

Smile

(This post was edited by geordie on May 22 2010, 1:39pm)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 22 2010, 2:51pm

Post #16 of 27 (928 views)
Shortcut
Not quite the point in this case [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly imagine nobody visualized Blok's work when they read LOTR and that certainly isn't the point of his work.

I find it refreshing to have collected a new style and take on something I can already visualize.

His work makes me wish more artists would have such a different way of depicting Tolkien.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Patty
Immortal

May 22 2010, 3:22pm

Post #17 of 27 (914 views)
Shortcut
What I look for every year is.. [In reply to] Can't Post

the desk calendar, or appointment book, or whatever it is called that year. I like to have enough space to write appointments on each date. That's why it's pretty important to me to have a calendar I really enjoy the pictures included, because I'm looking at it practically every day.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 22 2010, 5:09pm

Post #18 of 27 (898 views)
Shortcut
It was a gift for Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of those gifts that I get every year, so I've never had to buy it myself. I saw it in bookshops while I was doing my own Christmas shopping though, so I don't think it was hard to track down here.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 2:21pm

Post #19 of 27 (843 views)
Shortcut
I don't like Blok's work myself.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I think it's really good to see them using other artists for the calendar. Tolkien's own drawings apart, for me no one beats Alan Lee - I was collecting books with his illustrations long before the centenary edition of Tolkien and was so thrilled that they chose him to illustrate it - but myth should be open to interpretation in a broad range of styles. Isn't that what Tolkien himself wanted?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2010, 2:27pm

Post #20 of 27 (828 views)
Shortcut
I got mine through Amazon early in the year. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 23 2010, 2:42pm

Post #21 of 27 (837 views)
Shortcut
Lee and Nasmith for me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

And John Howe! Though I like a lot of Garland, Hague, and Tolkien's work, too ;)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

RosieLass
Valinor

May 23 2010, 11:42pm

Post #22 of 27 (864 views)
Shortcut
I love Blok's illustrations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why they appeal to me, but they really do.

So I may have to get a calendar this year. I don't usually, because I already wind up with more calendars than I've got walls to hang them on, but I'd make an exception for this one.

(As long as it's not Ezpeleta...)

Patty
Immortal

May 25 2010, 4:13pm

Post #23 of 27 (872 views)
Shortcut
I like Nasmith very much too, with the exception of... [In reply to] Can't Post

his faces. I feel he never does them very well.

But you're right--his landscapes and architecture are unsurpassed. And I, too, find Lee's watercolors too bland. I gather the effect is to leave a lot to the imagination of the viewer, but whatever his artistic goal is it is kind of wasted on me. But then, I acknowledge that I am a philistine when it comes to art. I once asked Blue Wizard, a big fan of Blok, to help me to see what he saw. He gave the explanation his best shot, but I remain a non-fan.

Magpie
Immortal

May 25 2010, 5:52pm

Post #24 of 27 (894 views)
Shortcut
What I struggle with in regards to Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

...is his lack of contrast. The painting seem to such a narrow range of shading. No true white. No true black. I think that's not how my tastes range anyhow but I also don't have perfect vision and it's just harder to *see* what he's trying to get me to see. My eyes see a haze of texture and I can't find the focal point of the image.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 25 2010, 6:30pm

Post #25 of 27 (819 views)
Shortcut
for me calendars aren't so much to tell me the date [In reply to] Can't Post

though I do use them for that purpose, that's not why I get them
and if that was their only purpose I sure wouldn't have multiple calendars every year

I'm looking forward to next year's calendar as something quite different from the usual illustrators

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.