Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - May 17
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 17 2010, 9:12am

Post #1 of 48 (495 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 17 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

May 17, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
The Company continues northeast on the road, dropping slowly into the ‘Lone-lands’..
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...they had gone on far into the Lone-lands, where there were no people left, no inns, and the roads grew steadily worse. Not far ahead were dreary hills, rising higher and higher, dark with trees. On some of them were old castles with an evil look, as if they had been built by wicked people. Everything seemed gloomy, for the weather that day had taken a nasty turn."

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 17 2010, 12:46pm

Post #2 of 48 (169 views)
Shortcut
Travelling from the light, happy Shire to dark, forbidding lands... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or to paraphrase a certain pig-tailed farmgirl: I don't think we're in the Shire anymore, Bilbo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sample

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 17 2010, 4:12pm

Post #3 of 48 (165 views)
Shortcut
I suddenly got [In reply to] Can't Post

the image in my head of a Nazgul riding a bicycle up in the stormy sky!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Eldorion
Gondor

May 17 2010, 4:37pm

Post #4 of 48 (168 views)
Shortcut
Rhudaur [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if the perception of the evil castles was just a reflection of Bilbo's attitude at that time or if they had been built by Angmar or its allies in Rhudaur. It could be that they were indeed built by wicked people even though that land was held by the Dunedain.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...
My Tolkien site

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 18 2010, 1:37am

Post #5 of 48 (168 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

"I'll get you, my Precious, and your little Ring too!" Laugh

sample

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

silneldor
Half-elven

May 18 2010, 2:56am

Post #6 of 48 (154 views)
Shortcut
E.T. style?\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

sample
''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 18 2010, 12:12pm

Post #7 of 48 (146 views)
Shortcut
With Gollum in the bike's basket? *shudder* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 18 2010, 2:23pm

Post #8 of 48 (185 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a Book Spoiler of a sweet piece of poetry *kaff* ... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Fog On the Barrow-Down: The Fellowship of the Ring

"Suddenly a song began: a cold murmur, rising and falling. The voice seemed far away and immeasurably dreary, sometimes high in the air and thin, sometimes like a low moan from the ground. Out of the formless stream of sad but horrible sounds, strings of words would now and again shape themselves: grim, hard, cold words, heartless and miserable. The night was railing against the morning of which it was bereaved, and the cold was cursing the warmth for which it hungered. Frodo was chilled to the marrow… …while the song became clearer, and with dread in his heart he perceived that is had changed into an incantation:

Cold be hand and heart and bone,

and cold be sleep under stone:

never more to wake on stony bed,

never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.

In the black wind the stars shall die,

and still on gold here let them lie,

till the dark lord lifts his hand

over dead sea and withered land.

He heard behind his head a creaking and scraping sound. Raising himself on one arm he looked, and saw now in the pale light that they were in a kind of passage which behind them turned a corner. Round the corner a long arm was groping, walking on its fingers towards Sam, who was lying nearest, and towards the hilt of the sword that lay upon him.
At first Frodo felt as if he had indeed been turned into stone by the incantation."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 18 2010, 3:14pm

Post #9 of 48 (151 views)
Shortcut
For what purpose [In reply to] Can't Post

was the wight trying to place the hobbits under a spell? Perhaps so that when Sauron once again gained control of Middle-earth, it would have "zombies" at its command?

Did it really intend to slay them? Why did it not reveal itself, if it felt they had been sufficiently enspelled? Or maybe it could sense that one of them was still "conscious", and it intended to kill Frodo?

sample

Eldorion
Gondor

May 18 2010, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 48 (169 views)
Shortcut
I never got the sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the Wight was acting in the service of Sauron, especially since Sauron was very far away and not particularly active in Eriador. I think the Wight was trying to keep the Hobbits in the Barrow through some sort of sorcery for its own purposes.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...
My Tolkien site

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 18 2010, 9:20pm

Post #11 of 48 (149 views)
Shortcut
I would like to have seen ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this scene in the movies -- I would like to have seen the entire story of Merry's knife, for one thing! -- but I understand why it was left out. However, I'm glad they did use a variation on this poem, uttered so appropriately by Gollum near the Dead Marshes:

Cold be heart and hand and bone. Cold be travelers far from home.
They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2010, 8:53am

Post #12 of 48 (139 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

T'is a Book Spoiler of another love story... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: the Two Towers

..."'After the Darkness was overthrown the land of the Entwives blossomed richly, and their fields were full of corn. Many men learned the crafts of the Entwives and honoured them greatly; but we were only a legend to them, a secret in the heart of the forest. yet here we still are, while all the gardens of the Entwives are wasted: Men call them the Brown Lands now.
... 'I remember it was long ago—in the time of the war between Sauron and the Men of the Sea—desire came over me to see Fimbrethil again. Very fair she was still in my eyes... ...though little like the Entmaiden of old. For the Entwives were bent and browned by their labour; their hair parched by the sun to the hue of ripe corn and their cheeks like red apples. Yet their eyes were still the eyes of our own people. We crossed over Anduin and came to their land; but we found a desert: it was all burned and uprooted, for war had passed over it. But the Entwives were not there. Long we called, and long we searched; and we asked all folk that we met which way the Entwives had gone. Some said they had never seen them; and some said that they had seen them walking away west, and some said east, and others south. But nowhere... ...could we find them. Our sorrow was very great. Yet the wild wood called, and we returned to it. For many many years we used to go out every now and again and look for the Entwives, walking far and wide and calling them by their beautiful names. But as time passes we went more seldom and wandered less far. And now the Entwives are only a memory for us, and our beards are long and grey. The Elves make many songs concerning the Search of the Ents, and some of the songs passed into the tongues of Men. But we made no song about it, being content to chant their beautiful names when we thought of the Entwives. We believe that we may meet again in a time to come, and perhaps we shall find somewhere a land where we can live together and both be content. But it is foreboded that that will only be when we have both lost all that we now have. And it may well be that that time is drawing near at last. For if Sauron of old destroyed the gardens, the Enemy today seems likely to wither all the woods.'"

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2010, 9:11am

Post #13 of 48 (140 views)
Shortcut
I think the wight [In reply to] Can't Post

did sense someone still awake, but I think the wights were also like Caradhras... doing their own thing separate from Sauron... but who know? I wonder if Tom would :D

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2010, 9:13am

Post #14 of 48 (258 views)
Shortcut
It's time like this [In reply to] Can't Post

when I am in awe of Philippa and Fran's talent and uncanny knowledge of the book. They would find these treasures and move them to a place where they wouldn't be lost because a story plot wasn't used. More of Tolkien's fabulous words!

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2010, 11:09am

Post #15 of 48 (380 views)
Shortcut
"It is a fair tale, [In reply to] Can't Post

though it is sad, as are all the tales of Middle-earth..." Those words of Strider's come back to me when I read the story of the loss of the Entwives. So much that was fair has come to grief!

But there may be a hint of them in our own land: for often have I wondered, why those who are native to this area of the world call corn, beans, and squash the "Three Sisters"...!

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2010, 12:27pm

Post #16 of 48 (791 views)
Shortcut
The Story of the Wights [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's some background, in response to Eldorion and gramma, and for anyone else wondering about the barrow-wight's origin - and loyalties!

We get hints in FotR when Bombadil tells that "A shadow came out of dark places far away, and the bones were stirred in the mounds. Barrow-wights walked in the hollow places with a clink of rings on cold fingers, and gold chains in the wind."

Strider later tells the hobbits about that desolate area between Bree and Rivendell: "Men once dwelt here, ages ago; but none remain now. They became an evil people, as legends tell, for they fell under the shadow of Angmar." The Witch-king was the ruler of Angmar.

From the Appendix A, "In the days of Argeleb II the plague came into Eriador...It was at this time that and end came of the Dúnedain of Cardolan, and evil spirits out of Angmar and Rhudaur entered into the deserted mounds and dwelt there." The peoples of those places worshipped the Dark Lord.

From the very beginning, Tolkien intended that this wight was a servant of the dark Force in Middle-earth. The first version of the chant contained the line "till the king of the dark tower lifts his hand": from Christopher T., "In the rough working for this verse my father wrote: 'The dark lord sits in the tower and looks over the dark seas and the dark world', and also 'his hand stretches over the cold sea and the dead world'. He notes that "The 'dark tower' of the Necromancer is referred to by Gandalf in the text given in Chapter III...and indeed goes back to The Hobbit, where at the end of Chapter VI 'Queer Lodgings' Gandalf speaks of the 'dark tower' of the Necromancer, in the south of Mirkwood."

Tolkien later changed that line in the chant to read "till the dark lord lifts his hand", when the Necromancer had proved to be the Dark Lord, Sauron.

Hammond and Scull, in their Reader's Companion, note that "The wight's incantation, looking to the triumph of the 'dark lord', recalls the oath of the Orcs of Morgoth in The Lay of Leithian", and that "The song seems to envisage some sort of resurrection when the world is cold, dead, and lightless, over which the Dark Lord will preside."

So that's why I wonder if this wight intended to have some "zombies" of its own, once its' hoped-for 'resurrection' came about!

For further entertainment, here's a Reading Room discussion about the creeping arm, and part of the chapter discussion here, and also a query about its origin here.

And finally...what happened to the wight?

Cool

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2010, 12:15am

Post #17 of 48 (132 views)
Shortcut
The 3 sisters!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating! I'll bet there's an old tale there!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2010, 12:34am

Post #18 of 48 (132 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* Most Excellent!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow.... This is fabulous,dernwyn! Without a doubt, the Wights were not working on their own! Thank you so much for pulling all of these points together! *cuts, pastes, prints* I'm gonna sit and really visit this!

Wow :)

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2010, 8:41am

Post #19 of 48 (172 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

May 20, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
1. The Company of Dwarves, Hobbit and Wizard have passed Weathertop as the Road turns more east.

May 20, 2980 (S.R. 1380)
1. Aragorn and Arwen betrothed in Lórien
[not from the appendices – determined from text – Appendix A)
..."When Elrond learned the choice of his daughter, he was silent, though his heart was grieved and found the doom long feared none the easier to endure. But when Aragorn came again to Rivendell he called him to him, and he said:
...'My son, years come when hope will fade, and beyond them little is clear to me. And now a shadow lies between us. Maybe, it has been appointed so, that by my loss the kingship of Men may be restored.... ...though I love you, I say to you: Arwen Undómiel shall not diminish her life's grace for less cause. She shall not be the bride of any Man less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor. To me then even our victory can bring only sorrow and parting—but to you hope of joy for a while. For a while. Alas, my son! I fear that to Arwen the Doom of Men may seem hard at the ending.'
...So it stood afterwards between Elrond and Aragorn, and they spoke no more of this matter; but Aragorn went forth again to danger and toil. And while the world darkened... ...on Middle-earth, as the power of Sauron grew and the Barad-dûr rose ever taller and stronger, Arwen remained in Rivendell, and when Aragorn was abroad, from afar she watched over him in thought; and in hope she made for him a great and kingly standard, such as only one might display who claimed the lordship of the Númenóreans and the inheritance of Elendil."

May 20, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
(not from the appendices)
1. Frodo and Gandalf enjoy a peaceful Spring in the Shire and make plans for the fall as the Conspirators make plans of their own.

May 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Minas Tirith.
(not from the appendices)
..."The Hobbits still remained in Minas Tirith, with Legolas and Gimli; for Aragorn was loth for the Fellowship to be dissolved.... ...In those days the Companions of the Ring dwelt together in a fair house with Gandalf, and they went to and fro as they wished."

2. Elrond and Arwen come to Lórien.
(from the appendices)
[There's nothing in the story or appendices of what occurred to bring Elrond and Arwen to Lothlórien other than to imply they've gone to join with Galadriel and then journey together to Minas Tirith.

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2010, 10:36am

Post #20 of 48 (201 views)
Shortcut
Doom long feared [In reply to] Can't Post

It must have been hard enough when Elrond lost his brother Elros to mortality!

Celebrían took hurt, and sailed West - but he knows he will see her again. But now he faces having to tell her that she will never again see her daughter! And that, on top of his own eventual loss of her...

Yet it sounds to me like he knew this was all inevitable. That's the downside of living "forever": the hurts to the heart will forever remain.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2010, 9:05am

Post #21 of 48 (151 views)
Shortcut

T'is a Book Spoiler of a quiet conversation... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Helm's Deep: The Two Towers

..."Aragorn looked at the pale stars, and at the moon, now sloping behind the western hills that enclosed the valley. 'This is a night as long as years,' he said. 'How long will the day tarry?'
... 'Dawn is not far off,' said Gamling, who had now climbed up beside him. 'But dawn will not help us, I fear.'
... 'Yet dawn is ever the hope of men,' said Aragorn.
... '...these creatures of Isengard, these half-orcs and goblin-men that the foul craft of Saruman has bred, they will not quail at the sun,' said Gamling. 'And neither will the wild men of the hills. Do you not hear their voices?'
... 'I hear them,' said Éomer; 'but they are only the scream of birds and the bellowing of beasts to my ears.'
... 'Yet there are many that cry in the Dunland tongue,' said Gamling. 'I know that tongue. It is an ancient speech of men, and once was spoken in many western valleys of the Mark... ...They hate us, and they are glad; for our doom seems certain to them. "The king, the king!" they cry. "We will take their king. Death to the Forgoil! Death to the Strawheads! Death to the robbers of the North!" Such names they have for us. Not in half a thousand years have they forgotten their grievance that the lords of Gondor gave the Mark to Eorl the Young and made alliance with him. That old hatred Saruman has inflamed. They are fierce folk when roused. They will not give way now for dusk or dawn, until Théoden is taken, or they themselves are slain.'
... 'Nonetheless day will bring hope to me,' said Aragorn. 'Is it not said that no foe has ever taken the Hornburg, if men defended it?'
... 'So the minstrels say,' said Éomer.
... 'Then let us defend it, and hope!' said Aragorn."

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21 2010, 10:27am

Post #22 of 48 (427 views)
Shortcut
A displaced people [In reply to] Can't Post

How much of what they now know as Rohan had the Dunlendings called their own home? As much as we can appreciate Gondor having an ally in that position, one must wonder how much the settling of that area displaced the natives.

And if no attempts at amends had ever been made, then it's no wonder they were so easily encouraged by Saruman!

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 21 2010, 11:17pm

Post #23 of 48 (146 views)
Shortcut
Generations of anger [In reply to] Can't Post

fed by Saruman has reached the boiling point. It's not going to help in their future relationship once most (if not all) of those angry Dunlendings are wiped out by Eomer's army and then by the huorn.

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2010, 1:34pm

Post #24 of 48 (122 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler about another quiet conversation... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Long-Expected Party: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."'...there was this Mr. Frodo left an orphan and stranded, as you might say, among those queer Bucklanders. Being brought up anyhow in Brandy Hall. A regular warren, by all accounts... ...Mr. Bilbo never did a kinder deed than when he brought the lad back to live among decent folk.
... 'But I reckon it was a nasty knock for those Sackville-Bagginses. They thought they were going to get Bag End, that time when he went off and was thought to be dead. And then he comes back... ...and he goes on living and living, and never looking a day older, bless him! And suddenly he produces an heir, and has all the papers made out proper. The Sackville-Bagginses won't never see the inside of Bag End now....'
... 'There's a tidy bit of money tucked away up there, I hear tell,' said a stranger, a visitor on business from Michel Delving in the Westfarthing. 'All the top of your hill is full of tunnels packed with chests of gold and silver, and jools, by what I've heard.'
... 'Then you've heard more than I can speak to.... ...I know nothing about jools. Mr. Bilbo is free with his money, and there seems no lack of it; but I know of no tunnel-making. I saw Mr. Bilbo when he came back, a matter of sixty years ago, when I was a lad. I'd not long come prentice of old Holman... ...but he had me up at Bag End helping him to keep folks from trampling and trapessing all over the garden while the sale was on. And in the middle of it all Mr. Bilbo comes up the Hill with a pony and some mighty big bags and a couple of chests. I don't doubt they were mostly full of treasure he had picked up in foreign parts, where there be mountains of gold... ...but there wasn't enough to fill tunnels. But my lad Sam will know more about that. He's in and out of Bag End. Crazy about stories of the old days he is, and he listens to all Mr. Bilbo's tales. Mr. Bilbo has learned him his letters--meaning no harm, mark you, and I hope no harm will come of it.
... 'Elves and Dragons! I says to him. Cabbages and potatoes are better for me and you. Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your betters, or you'll land in trouble too big for you... ...And I might say it to others,' he added with a look at the stranger and the miller.
... But the Gaffer did not convince his audience. The legend of Bilbo's wealth was now too firmly fixed in the minds of the younger generation of hobbits.
... 'Ah, but he has likely enough been adding to what he brought at first,' argued the miller, voicing common opinion. 'He's often away from home. And look at the outlandish folk that visit him: dwarves coming at night, and that old wandering conjuror, Gandalf, and all. You can say what you like, Gaffer, but Bag End's a queer place, and its folk are queerer.'
... 'And you can say what you like, about what you know no more of... ...Mr. Sandyman,' retorted the Gaffer, disliking the miller even more than usual. 'If that's being queer, then we could do with a bit more queerness in these parts. There's some not far away that wouldn't offer a pint of beer to a friend, if they lived in a hole with golden walls. But they do things proper at Bag End.'"

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22 2010, 5:27pm

Post #25 of 48 (121 views)
Shortcut
Mountains of gold [In reply to] Can't Post

We all love stories of mystical places far away, where the rivers run wine and the mountains are gold! There is of course a grain of truth to the legend about the gold, as Smaug's hoard was like a small hill.

I've always thought it curious that the Gaffer implies that learning to read might be "harmful" to Sam! But fortunately his opinion of Bilbo is high enough, that he lets Sam have unrestricted access to the Bagginses.

Hey, they could put Sean Astin in a cameo role in The Hobbit - as Sam's dad, sixty years earlier! Laugh

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.