Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn Mathom-house : Help Wanted
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 19 2010, 12:25am

Post #51 of 70 (179 views)
Shortcut
lol - that's some mad skilz! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're definitely in if you're bringing the bon-bons! :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2010, 12:37am

Post #52 of 70 (183 views)
Shortcut
I know I'm very late to reply [In reply to] Can't Post

but I am happy to help. I'm particularly good at taking on those tasks that everyone else has turned down, or are especially irksome. Feel free to assign me anything!

I'm very good at organizing, and project management. I can write, edit, spell-check or whatever. Not great with graphics.

sample

(This post was edited by entmaiden on May 19 2010, 12:38am)

Magpie
Immortal

May 19 2010, 12:48am

Post #53 of 70 (166 views)
Shortcut
I think all references to TORn in the media are important [In reply to] Can't Post

These will serve as references for other material on the wiki as well as documenting the impact TORn has made on the fan community, et. al.

I've set you up with an account because you indicated you were interested in researching and researchers are going to be most effective when they can work on the wiki and I wanted to give some people a chance to go see what the set up was like. (for the record, everyone involved will get a wiki account. I'm just going slow at the moment and staring with people who I thought seemed the most intrepid)

So, after checking your PM from me, you can log onto the wiki and enter that article on this page:
Articles Referencing TORn

Besides a link, you should provide the same sorts of information that would be needed for a citation. That way if that NYTimes Article is used for another Article on the Mathom-house, we have what we need to adequately cite it.

Also, a brief synopsis (in your own words) would be nice. Short quotes could be included but they should be short. (I'm sure you know the drill on this stuff!)

Am I right, if you searched through online databases, you'd at least be able to provide (on the wiki) basic info (publication, date, issue, page numbers) and perhaps a brief synopsis? Then, down the road, if we're looking for particular information, a researcher on that topic could find your listing on the wiki and determine if they wanted to follow up on it. Many public libraries also have online databases so I could take your entry, go to my library and access that article for something I'm writing for the Mathom-house. Does that make sense?

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 19 2010, 12:48am

Post #54 of 70 (171 views)
Shortcut
YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is exactly what I was looking for. Definitely not a story I have read previously but it actually gets the facts right.

That is a great find!

Well done!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Magpie
Immortal

May 19 2010, 12:50am

Post #55 of 70 (172 views)
Shortcut
I think that's the most important form of volunteering I've seen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm particularly good at taking on those tasks that everyone else has turned down, or are especially irksome.

:-)

Project management could prove very useful!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 19 2010, 12:55am

Post #56 of 70 (161 views)
Shortcut
sounds good [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll do that then

And yes, the databases include all of the information about where they came from
It's just that if I provided a link to the article, you probably wouldn't be able to access it

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2010, 1:11am

Post #57 of 70 (670 views)
Shortcut
I'll help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have tons of spare time at the moment, so I probably shouldn't take on anything too large but I'd love to help as I can.

I don't have a lot of tech skills, but I'm a pretty good editor/proofreader and I could do some writing from time to time if provided with raw info/research.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Magpie
Immortal

May 19 2010, 2:12am

Post #58 of 70 (159 views)
Shortcut
no... don't provide a link for articles from paid databases [In reply to] Can't Post

just information about them.

Magpie
Immortal

May 19 2010, 2:14am

Post #59 of 70 (158 views)
Shortcut
great [In reply to] Can't Post

There is also going to be some stuff that only people pretty familiar with the site can do. So perhaps I could just steer some of those toward you and other senior staff/admins that volunteer.

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 19 2010, 2:19am

Post #60 of 70 (157 views)
Shortcut
that's what I figured, no worries // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 19 2010, 7:17am

Post #61 of 70 (186 views)
Shortcut
It's not that bad [In reply to] Can't Post

When I started, we only had a very rudimentary tutorial, and were forced to find out a lot by ourselves. Not to mention it's no html, of which I at least knew the basic codes, even if I barely need them so far. Add to that that I had no experience whatsoever with that sort of thing (the worst I have done so far was getting some links into my posts here) and you can imagine that I was thrown practically into cold water. But I got the hang quickly; it's really not as bad as it looks. And Magpie, Rosie and I will all be there to help with any questions that might arise.

And if someone has content that is going to go on the Mathom-house, but doesn't feel up to tackling the code, just send the finished text to one of us and we will take care of the rest. That's what we are there for, after all. No one needs to know/manage everything.

sample

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2010, 8:59am

Post #62 of 70 (158 views)
Shortcut
I might have some [In reply to] Can't Post

of those articles, too. I grabbed every magazine/newspaper I could find during the films' releases and have them squirreled away. When I get some NZ-related work done, I'll do some digging, too :)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2010, 9:03am

Post #63 of 70 (149 views)
Shortcut
Me too, Lily. [In reply to] Can't Post

*scribbles notes* I didn't know the codes, either! I'm going to learn mucho, methinks ;)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2010, 5:50pm

Post #64 of 70 (227 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

As PL already said, you can either send the article to somebody else or just write out the coding you would like to have. Then somebody else can come in and do the coding. We also did that with an article Weaver wrote. She just said where she wanted the citation and I made them after she posted her article.

And after a while, you can cheat and look at other articles and copy the coding (that is what I do a lot, but don't tell anybody else Wink).

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2010, 12:44am

Post #65 of 70 (132 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Having your [In reply to] Can't Post

guidance and history with TORn are priceless, m'dear :) It's great to know you're here to lead us through any questionable pitfalls. *bows deeply* Danka!!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2010, 12:52am

Post #66 of 70 (139 views)
Shortcut
I love group efforts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your description of how so many of these pieces comes together is perfect! No one should assume that we already have information or links. I'd rather have treasures or pieces offered several times than to miss out on any tidbits because it's assumed we already have it. PLUS, we all have different ways of writing or describing something. Having variations can really round-out a post :)

Cheers, Rosie!

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2010, 12:55am

Post #67 of 70 (155 views)
Shortcut
I'm counting on you [In reply to] Can't Post

to keep me coded!! I'm not as intimidated about writing something and getting it planted in the wiki correctly knowing you're there to keep me on the right track :)

Cheers Peredhil lover :D Thank you!

sample sample

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 20 2010, 4:44am

Post #68 of 70 (138 views)
Shortcut
*grin* [In reply to] Can't Post

And after a while, you can cheat and look at other articles and copy the coding (that is what I do a lot, but don't tell anybody else Wink).

You mean I'm not the only one to do that? Angelic

sample

TORn Link Collection

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 20 2010, 4:50am

Post #69 of 70 (251 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll certainly do what I can Smile
And for me it's the other way around - the writing intimidates me much more than the coding. Weird, isn't it?

sample

TORn Link Collection

weaver
Half-elven

May 20 2010, 11:24pm

Post #70 of 70 (223 views)
Shortcut
**Three cheers for the Mathom-house volunteers so far!!** [In reply to] Can't Post

Hooray, hooray, hooray!

This is just grand...what a nice team is forming here! You are all great!

I've had the chance to work on several virtual projects for TORn, and I can tell you it's a really terrific experience -- it's a wonderful way to get to know people a bit better, as you work with them on figuring things out, etc.

For those who have been around a while, like me, this project is really opening up my eyes to the entire world of the site, not just the message boards, and to feeling more connected to the history of the place. For new folks, what a great way to get to know the place better.

**looks around room for more raised hands** Smile

I've got plenty of cheers left, so please don't be shy if you have been thinking about this but haven't replied yet!

Magpie is incredibly good at organizing this, so you will get very clear guidance, with plenty of opportunities to make your mark on this, never fear!

Weaver

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.