Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn Mathom-house : Help Wanted
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 4:52am

Post #1 of 70 (613 views)
Shortcut
TORn Mathom-house : Help Wanted Can't Post

Hello merry message board members. A few weeks ago we celebrated TORn's Eleventh Birthday. I think I can easily say that many of us highly enjoy our time here on the message boards. And many of us have spent hours checking the news on the Home Page. Some of us participated in TORn sponsored drawings and competitions, met with other fans (and famous personages!) at TORn moots, dug through GreenBooks for answers to questions or a good laugh, or sent in news from our home town as a 'Ringer Spy'.

An lot has happened in TORn's 11 years on the net and some of us think it's time we start to document all those happenings. From the germ of an idea (and I can point directly at weaver as the source of that germ!), the concept of a TORn history repository was born. That repository is The TORn Mathom-house. A group of us have brainstormed, put pen to paper, and even gotten our our hammers to do a little framing on this house. We let you have a little sneak peak at the Mathom-house a few weeks ago. But now it's time to invite you all to join the team: the team that will build and fill the Mathom-house with all sorts of information.

Now, this is the point where people start to look around wondering what someone is going to ask them to do. Well, the best part of this team is, there is an opportunity for any and all to contribute. We need thinkers and coders and writers and editors and researchers and proofreaders. We need people who can spare a moment and people who can take on a leadership role. We need people who have been on the site for ages and people who just showed up last week. We have set this project up so that people can work within their area of strength or skill or interest and within their time constraints or people can push themselves to learn a new skill.

Besides reassuring everyone that there is a place for every individual that wishes to help in whatever way they can, I want to reinforce the idea that the Mathom-house belongs to all of us and the community will build it.

Let's get to some nitty-gritty specifics. For some ease in reading and responding. I'm going to make a series of replies to this initial post and we'll expand the conversation from those replies.

It is a good idea to use the Threaded Mode for reading these threads. If your default is Flat Mode, look up to the top right of the post. There is a button marked "View Threaded". Try clicking it and seeing how Threaded Mode works well for subconversations.

Also, because we're going to try to keep communication on the project to as few threads as possible and because we have a lot of work to keep track of, I'm going to ask that we keep all posts in these threads on topic. I encourage people to have a light heart and sociable nature, but I'd like to avoid off topic chatting in these threads.

Thanks for reading and see you in my next post.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 5:38am

Post #2 of 70 (306 views)
Shortcut
TORn Mathom-house : Why? What? Where? Who? How? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why?
Those of us on the Mathom-house Steering Committe asked ourselves: Why Does TORn Matter? Why should we try to document a history of TORn? Who would use it?

Some of what we discussed is here:
Why TORn Matters

The Project's Purpose - What purpose does it serve / Who is our target audience

What do you guys think about these topics?
What did we miss?
Do you agree with what we developed as answers to these questions?

What?

Then we brainstormed a list of topics. This list will be in constant flux and adjustment.

Do you have any additions? Comments Concerns?

Where?
There are kind of two parts to this project.
Communicating about the project: all communication will take place (for the moment at least) on the TORn's Message Boards on Main. We will try to keep it to one thread on the front page at a time and the thread will remain active and in use as long as the topic that thread is discussing remains active. So, if we start a thread to discuss developing the topic: "The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien" (book published by TORn) then, even if that thread falls to the second page, we'll still discuss that topic in the existing thread. That means, if you are participating in the topic of a thread you should 'Watch' it. That's a button on the top right of the post. You can remove the 'Watch' when you're done with the thread if you like.

Online home for the history content we are developing: our online home is a wiki. A wiki is a format that allows for easy editing of content by many people and over a period of time. So, as soon as possible, we will be introducing people to the wiki so they can do their earliest work right on the site. Working on a wiki may be a new experience for some of you but we are hoping to make as many people as possible comfortable with it by taking it slow and providing lots of help and mentoring. For more info on the wiki, visit this page.

Who?
Why... you, of course. Seriously. We have a Steering Committee that has done a lot of work to get the Mathom-house framed. And some of those people might be part of the building team. But we need a team. If you can spare even 30 minutes of attention, we need it.

Right now we are recruiting for our team on the Message Boards because we the initial conceptualizers were from the MB. But we will need to recruit from a wider group at some point. For more info, visit this page. You do not need to be a Message Board user to be on the team but since the team will be communicating on the Message Boards, people interested in working on the project may want to register for the MB.

How?
Here's my loose plan. We'll try it out, see how it goes, and then tweak it as needed. We'll chose a topic and announce that topic with a new thread.

As a group, we'll
  • brainstorm: What content do we need?
  • brainstorm: Into what sections might this content be broken?
  • brainstorm: Where should we look for information? What strategy should we use to get information from each source?
  • recruit volunteers for researching and gathering information
  • enter gathered info onto a wiki page (optimally done by the researcher) taking care that source info is kept for possible citations
  • re-evaluate content and sections: do we need to redo our organization of info (sections)?
  • recruit volunteers to take gathered info and write an article
  • recruit volunteers to code the material to provide the desired formatting if the writer does not want to do coding
  • recruit proofreaders and/or editors to further improve the writing (working in tandem with coders if desired) and insure proper citation
  • at some point, consider the use of supporting images for the article

The goals are
  • to approach the material in some organized way
  • to gather material in a way that allows for material to be responsibly and adequately cited
  • to break the work up so that multiple people can work on a task together (as desired) and people can work in their comfort zone
  • to make the process work for people who are volunteering their time!
Although the intention is we will work in various forms of teams, people can do multiple tasks within a topic as they wish. We will be working on one topic at a time but some people may linger on that topic as the 'community' moves onto a new one.

Do you guys think this is workable... at least to try out? Do you have any questions, suggestions or concerns?

Our first topic will be introduced in a few days. I want to let you have a chance to discuss the projects in general first.

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 5:44am

Post #3 of 70 (292 views)
Shortcut
TORn Mathom-house : Can you help? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is helping out at some time on some topic in some way something you think you'd be interested in?

Do you have a skill, talent, or interest you think might be useful for the Mathom-house project?

Is there a skill or talent you'd like to learn how to do better and have a chance to practice at?

Is there a potential topic you have some information on that could prove useful?

Are you in contact with someone who could prove useful for a potential topic?

What should I be asking you that I'm forgetting?

Answering in the affirmative to this thread does not obligate you in any way. It just helps us to evaluate what our pool of resources looks like and lets you all show your enthusiasm for the Mathom-house!

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 6:34am

Post #4 of 70 (348 views)
Shortcut
TORn Mathom-house: Thanks to the Steering Committee [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to take a moment and introduce you to and thank the Mathom-house Steering Committee.

Much of the work was done together in a true collaborative manner. But I want to just do little shout outs to some individual contributions and strengths.

weaver:
This whole idea is weaver's. I don't think that would surprise many. It grew out of the 10th Anniversary Celebration and Founders Day that she set up last year. She took all our comments and created the Mission Statement. She also facilitated the concept-debut of the Mathom-house with the Founders Day celebration.

Altaira:
Altaira was weaver's first collaborator. She is our link to the PTB and is facilitating our communication on the Message Boards. I don't know if I need tell you all that this project is just one more ball that Altaira juggles in her merry life and, like many of the others, this one is of great benefit to us all.

Peredhil lover: PL needed a 'home' for her Message Board Discussion links collection. It seemed to me the wiki was a fine home for it and the collection meshed well with a 'history' of the site. She was my first wiki beta-tester and was brought onto the Steering Committee to help with wiki issues. Of course, her contributions range far beyond just the wiki.

MrCere:
MrCere is our other connection to the senior staff and PTB. Off all the Steering Committee, he and Altaira have been connected with TORn the longest and can provide important insight into the early days. MrCere is also very good at asking questions we haven't thought to ask yet - a valuable asset to any committee.

Earl: Earl is particularly good, I think, at getting to the 'heart' of things and contributed a lot to the 'Why does this matter' sorts of questions.

dernwyn:
dernwyn was our beta-writer. She took the info that was gathered for our trial topics and put them into a readable format. I'm hoping she can attest that simple coding on the wiki isn't so daunting!

OhioHobbit:
When we started discussing images, OhoHobbit developed a few ideas for us to look at. I recognize a resource when I see it and I asked if he would take on the role of 'project manager' of the site's promotional images. He agreed and has created some really wonderful stuff. He was responsible for the Founders Day footers that provided peeks at the Mathom-house as well as the Mathom-house itself the banner at the wiki. He's got some little goodies in development for people who join the building team.

Rosie-with-the-Ribbons:
Rosie is another wiki beta-tester. She's fairly intrepid and found a way for us to do footnotes and citations on the site. She will be a good mentor for people wanting to learn how to code on the wiki. And of course, she was the author of that marvelous concept-debut post.

grammaboodawg: gramma has the same love for research as I do and did a lot of research on the Embassy Theatre Seat Funding article. She also did a lot of research on the Embassy Theatre while she was in NZ that will make its way into the article at some point. I'm hoping she can also attest that simple coding on the wiki is quickly learned.

Magpie: well.. I guess it's obvious that I seem to think I'm in charge. I guess I am. I have my own style of doing things and my approach to this project grows from my own love of research and organization and informed by my many years experience teaching people to do things they don't always think they can do. I am ready to be the arbitor when needed but I always see positions like this as service positions: I serve the needs of the project and the people working on it. I love collaborating and the concept of community ownership. I hope I can convey that adequately during my term in whatever my position here will be called.
both have been able to provide good insight into the early years.

To all my cohorts, I extend a huge thank you for their time, their patience, and their dedication to TORn and the TORn Mathom-house project. It has been a pleasure working with them this last year.

Please remember, however...these guys did the framing for the Mathom-house. Some will be working along side us on the topics we develop. But this project will only happen with your contributions. I hope to see you on the team.

cheers all,
m

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 8:21am

Post #5 of 70 (285 views)
Shortcut
Reading Room Archive [In reply to] Can't Post

An incredible repository of interesting, absorbing, sometimes scholarly analyses of Tolkien's writing may be found in the Reading Room archives.

One could spend years gleaning the jewels, but at least N. E. Brigand did a great job of collecting all the links here. They deserve a home in the Mathom House.

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

sador
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 8:46am

Post #6 of 70 (258 views)
Shortcut
They are already, [In reply to] Can't Post

as a part of PL's Message Board Discussion links collection.

A fair warning: I am a nitpicker by taste, talents and profession.

"...Still, undespairing, do we sometimes slowly file
Discursive threads regardless of our doom..."
- squire.

sador
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 8:48am

Post #7 of 70 (280 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to be involved [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I have started something on a smallish scale.
But RL has been a real bear over the last couple of months, and I probably won't be able to contribute anything substantial until July.

A fair warning: I am a nitpicker by taste, talents and profession.

"...Still, undespairing, do we sometimes slowly file
Discursive threads regardless of our doom..."
- squire.

ShyElf
Lorien

May 17 2010, 12:59pm

Post #8 of 70 (301 views)
Shortcut
I would love to help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a self-employed office administrator, so I can help with anything in this department. Proof reading is one area, but I would think there would be other admin tasks that come up and I'd be happy to help where I can. Re how much time I can give - that depends on my workload and life demands. Sometimes I've got lots of time to give and other times, only about 30 minutes is all I can spare - but I ususally know what each month looks like at the beginning of it. If you think you could use someone with my skills, I'd be delighted to help! The fact that I've been excited about your project since finding out about it on FD - means I'm more likely to 'make time' available for you guys.

Cheers!

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 1:29pm

Post #9 of 70 (272 views)
Shortcut
great. another collector! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if you offer up help in the early stages of Article/Topic development on the boards here, it would be helpful. But everyone's time availability will ebb and flow so we're expecting people to step in and step out of the active group.

Thanks, sador.

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 1:37pm

Post #10 of 70 (308 views)
Shortcut
*big grin* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad Rosie's little speech was so effective.

I'd like to encourage you to jump in when you see something that you think you think your administrator skills could enhance a process or fill a need. I think people function best in the task/job that calls to them and I may miss something that you'd be good at since I'm not sure I fully know what skills/talents an office administrator has (other than the ability to multitask.. which I *don't* have!).

One reason I'm taking the project topic by topic (at least at first) is so that people can get a sense of 'closure' on their time commitment. I don't think many of us want to volunteer for open ended commitments.

One thing I've found is, there are often small tasks that I can do for an hour while I watch a tv show or when I need a break from other project. So hopefully, there will be something for every time availability.

ShyElf
Lorien

May 17 2010, 1:56pm

Post #11 of 70 (298 views)
Shortcut
You've got the multitasking part right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink I'm sure there are a lot of things I can help you guys with/take off you hands. I'd be delighted to help you.

I have a lot of clients and I don't do the same thing for any of them - that's what keeps the job interesting. I've been doing this since my daughter was 2-1/2 years old. I realized I wanted to be way more involved in her life and upbringing than I was at the time while working full time as a network administrator, putting in 10 hour days away from home (and 13 years later, my network administrator skills are totally rusty/out of date).

All you have to do is say "Hey, ShyElf - do you think you can...? Is there an easier way to....? We need someone to.... Can you try to....?"

Cheers!

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 2:19pm

Post #12 of 70 (289 views)
Shortcut
Message Board Links [In reply to] Can't Post

The 'entry' page for the Message Board Links Collection is here: http://mathom-house.net/...ssageBoardLinksIndex

Right now, the page for Reading Room discussions contain a link to the same post here on the boards that Elizabeth linked to. That's it.

At the onset of this project, my focus is on the history of TORn site in general, not the Message Boards. That's one reason I was happy that Peredhil lover was willing to oversee the Message Board links. I knew it would get way more attention to have a section manager actively working on just that area of the site. But PL and Rosie (who has been helping) has a large, daunting task on their hands and can use anyone willing to help.

How much more we can or want to break down and organize the Reading Board discussions is something that will be determined mostly by who shows an interest in doing that work. And it will be an easier job for someone (or teams of someones) who is familiar with those discussions.

I will be declaring a sort of 'topic of the month' project but it's also entirely appropriate for individuals (or, again, teams of individuals) to stake out a particular topic or area to focus on at their own speed and (if desired) with their own form of communication. So maybe someone will adopt the Reading Room links archives and find a way to make them as accessible as possible. Keep in mind that some people looking for old conversations *know* what conversation they're looking for and just need a link. But we hope to convince people unfamiliar with these Message Board conversations that we have stuff they might be interested in. So I think we need to work toward providing more than just links by adding a short synopsis of discussions. We have to think about what information people might be looking for and how they might go about finding it. Will they go by date or subject or discussion leader? The more description that is provided, the more the wiki's search engine can produce that entry as a search result.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 17 2010, 4:41pm

Post #13 of 70 (253 views)
Shortcut
The beauty of this project is [In reply to] Can't Post

that it's on-going and ever-growing! You're encouraged to work whatever you like (or ask for an assignment) as best you can and then enjoy the support of others helping to fine-tune the information! That's what I love about how Magpie's set this up!

If all you can to is gather the information for a topic and get it to those who will help mold it into a finished format... then do it!
If you're not comfortable with writing, punctuation or grammar... people are here to help!
If you're challenged with codes and techy stuff and not comfy with computers... people are here to help!
If you just don't have that much time to invest, but you REALLY want to be a part of this... there's a place where your help, no matter how limited, would mean the world to someone who just needs a little umpf and support :)

I know that I'm challenged by each of these things, but I've had help and guidance (and been given much patience ;) every step of the way.

I'm excited about being a part of something that's just for us. For our Community. To build a site that refects the synergy of TORn. That all of us have something to contribute no matter how simple or how in-depth... it's a reflection of TORn and what makes us so awesome. That it will be in our Mathom-house for all of us to share and for those others out there *waves arm towards horizon* who will see what a fantastic resource and home we are!

This isn't a burden, it's an opportunity to have a bit of fun and bring all of our treasures under one roof. I'm so grateful and thrilled to be a part of it!

*bows to Magpie...our great organizer and inspiration*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

weaver
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 4:49pm

Post #14 of 70 (252 views)
Shortcut
the idea really came from the 10th Anniversary planning.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for giving me some credit here but really my role was more like I think my role was more of just being the first person to articulate the need for something like a Mathom-house in a clear way.

By way of more background, when we started working on the first Founders Day, which grew into the 10th Anniversary effort, I found a lot of folks involved were thinking that TORn was pretty special and it would be a shame to not have a way to document the neat stuff that has happened here over time...

Also, there was a problem-solving aspect of this -- when we wanted to go back and find links from earlier years, we realized there was not a single place you could access things-- that information was kept hither and yon by various folk, and that it would have been a whole lot better to have one "repository" for things...but until you came along, there really was not a leader to be found willing to figure it all out. Actually, the thing I really did best was to recognize that you were the right person to take this on, and making a good enough case for it with you that you said "yes!"Smile

Weaver

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 17 2010, 4:59pm

Post #15 of 70 (255 views)
Shortcut
You two just personify [In reply to] Can't Post

what's the best of TORn... sharing your inspriation, talent, energy and love for this place and doing something with it that makes it better for everyone!

So here comes the Mathom-house... every room stuffed to the rafters with goodies from TORnadoes! This is gonna be GREAT!

*squeeeeeeee*

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

weaver
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 5:01pm

Post #16 of 70 (240 views)
Shortcut
well, of course you can count me in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a great researcher or tech wizard, but you can count me in as a general gopher, rallier of the troops, promoter, etc. I'm better at coordinating, organizing and presenting information than coming up with it, so maybe I can help edit, too...

Things that come to mind for topics:

Barliman's -- lots of history there that many of us know little about...

Aspects of the site that go beyond the message boards -- the newsletter, the podcasts, the events, etc.

Something on the message boards -- maybe challenge each board to create an entry?

We have talked a lot about the different "Ages" of TORn, but I don't think we've ever really nailed down what they are -- I'd like to see a vote on that and an entry on each.

The TORn Oscar party was a major coup...that certainly deserves a write-up

Something on the Founders, history of the site, how it was created, how it has evolved, how it keeps going...

Recognition of the site -- times that TORn has been referenced in media, articles, etc.

Scholarly aspects -- something on the times that students use the site, our relationship with authors/scholars

Something on the relationship between the site and the film makers -- how did Jackson relate to the site? how does GDT? How did the site help to allow for, manage and utilize fan input?

Off to a good start, Magpie -- looking forward to getting things underway with that first project!

Weaver

sample

weaver
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 5:16pm

Post #17 of 70 (235 views)
Shortcut
you forgot to include helping to explain each other! [In reply to] Can't Post

What I really like is that in a lot of groups, the more people who get involved the more convoluted things get -- but here, whenever one of us speaks up, whether it's in fun, or brilliance, or a point misspoken or not entirely clear, others jump in to recognize it, look at it differently, add-to, clarify or question or whatever is needed, so that a sort of collective wisdom can emerge...

Magpie's post, my original response to it here, and your response in turn, is a great example -- Magpie got me thinking, my opening paragraph is a pretty inarticulate way of talking about articulating things (!), and then you came along and took the point I was trying to make and showed how it reflects a bigger picture.

I really like that aspect of TORn, and my experience with that here has helped me in the work I do with groups in RL, as well as to just be part of the way I relate to my family or groups of friends. I know that other sites are not nearly as good at this kind of thing, so perhaps it comes from the "Fellowship" example from Tolkien, I don't know...but it's pretty powerful stuff and TORn does it well. I'd love to require every dysfunctional group I work with to spend time here, it would do them a lot of good!

Weaver

sample

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 5:57pm

Post #18 of 70 (252 views)
Shortcut
From time to time [In reply to] Can't Post

I do some free lance proofreading and copy editing (as you can tell, I'm far better with other people's stuff than my own!).

I'd be happy to volunteer do some of that if needed--it's fun!

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2010, 6:28pm

Post #19 of 70 (229 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm better than the average writer (and these days, *way* better), but it never comes naturally and both writing and editing is an agonizing endeavor for me.

Also, I've found that if I've done a lot of research (which is pretty logic based in many ways) and then spent time coding to get links or bullet points set up that my brain just doesn't switch easily to the writing aspect of task. So some of us might be good at multiple things but perhaps not multiple things at the same moment in time. :S

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 17 2010, 6:37pm

Post #20 of 70 (231 views)
Shortcut
All I can say [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it was and is a real pleasure to work with you, Magpie, in the early stages of the wiki and later on with everyone involved in the Steering Committee, and I am glad I could do as much as I did. Thank you! (((((Magpie)))))

sample

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 17 2010, 6:48pm

Post #21 of 70 (262 views)
Shortcut
RR links [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I thought about getting the real links to the threads onto the wiki, not only the link to the existing index. But I don't think it makes much sense to do the work twice when I do them on the wiki and NEB here. My opinion was he started it here, so it's up to him what we do with it; I don't want to interfere with his work. The wiki may be easier to update, but of course that's easy for me to say after all the hundreds of links I did there Wink In case the RR links are moved to the wiki, I'd gladly help with it.

sample

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection
TORn Travelling Journal website

RosieLass
Valinor

May 17 2010, 7:04pm

Post #22 of 70 (255 views)
Shortcut
I'd be glad to help out. [In reply to] Can't Post

With whatever. My strong suit isn't coming up with creative ideas, but if you have a topic in mind, I can help with the research and data gathering, and I can write and edit and proofread.

By coding, what exactly do you mean? If you mean stick bullets and formatting into a written document, I can do that. If you mean actual website programming, I'd have to pass on that. Cool

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

May 17 2010, 7:49pm

Post #23 of 70 (222 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Coding and html and that sort of thing isn't my strong point -- it's writing and editing that comes naturally to me. If anyone, for example, had several pages of notes/research that needed to be organized and written up, I could do that. I'm pretty good at taking 1000 amorphous words and producing 600 incisive ones, if I do say so myself!

I assume this project will be underway for months to come? Because I wouldn't be able to contribute much until June 7 or so.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 17 2010, 8:05pm

Post #24 of 70 (247 views)
Shortcut
I'd be glad to do some researching [In reply to] Can't Post

If you tell me what needs to be researched and what type of information I'm looking for Smile

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 17 2010, 8:15pm

Post #25 of 70 (274 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there again [In reply to] Can't Post

I just love working on the Mathom-house. Slowly an article is coming to live, with somebody looking for all the information that can be found (and with all, I really do mean all), somebody writing the story around it, somebody looking for a picture, a cool quote to go with the text and somebody tweaking a bit with the lay-out, adding some coding. And like on the boards, it happens all over the world and everybody using the expertise they have.

So yes, I'll be there again to join in and give a hand.

And to everybody who is reading this, thinking, hmm, well, maybe I could..... really, just join in. Try your hand in it, it looks a lot more difficult than it is. And there is always somebody who does know how to do something or knows where to find something. And even if you just join in for one story, that is already one little step out of the door that leads us to another path.

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.